It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua vs. Kenan Flagler (50% $$) vs. WL at Stern

new topic post reply Update application status  

Fuqua vs. Kenan Flagler 50% $$

• 18% [2]
  • 63% [7]
  • 18% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.44
Fuqua vs. Kenan Flagler (50% $$) vs. WL at Stern [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 19:45
Hi guys.
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on my dilema and schools perception in general in the US.

A little bit about me: I´m from Uruguay, 29 YE, 7 years of WE in Accounting at Deloitte, 720 GMAT.
I want to transition into finance either Investment Banking or Asset Management after the MBA, but I would like to return to Uruguay and start my own firm after working in the US in a top bank for 3 years or so.
It could even be after one year if the Visa roulette does´t favor me. That´s is why the cost component plays such an important factor for my decision as salaries in south america are less than in the US, and school´s reputation overhere is not that big a deal.

I got admitted to Fuqua and UNC Kenan-Flagler with USD 65k in scholarship money, and am pondering the following questions to try to make a decission:

-Which school would you chose to go?
-Is Fuqua´s reputation and brandname worth the extra USD 65k? (Bear in mind that I won't be in the US my whole life to benefit of the average pay gap between both schools to repay the loans)

Both alumni networks are not very relevant in my country so I would´t consider this factor. I visited both schools and feel that the atmosphere was a good fit at both places so no differentiator here neither.

I also got WL at Stern which would be my top choice, but since it is not a sure thing I´m not keeping my hopes up. Regarding this, and being 29 already I would´t want to postpone the MBA by reapplying next year.

Thanks very much for whatever input you could give. Your advice is much appreciated.
Regards,
Gaston
VP
VP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Fuqua vs. Kenan Flagler (50% $$) vs. WL at Stern [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 04:00
GastonUY wrote:
Hi guys.
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on my dilema and schools perception in general in the US.

A little bit about me: I´m from Uruguay, 29 YE, 7 years of WE in Accounting at Deloitte, 720 GMAT.
I want to transition into finance either Investment Banking or Asset Management after the MBA, but I would like to return to Uruguay and start my own firm after working in the US in a top bank for 3 years or so.
It could even be after one year if the Visa roulette does´t favor me. That´s is why the cost component plays such an important factor for my decision as salaries in south america are less than in the US, and school´s reputation overhere is not that big a deal.

I got admitted to Fuqua and UNC Kenan-Flagler with USD 65k in scholarship money, and am pondering the following questions to try to make a decission:

-Is Fuqua´s reputation and brandname worth the extra USD 65k? (Bear in mind that I won't be in the US my whole life to benefit of the average pay gap between both schools to repay the loans)

Both alumni networks are not very relevant in my country so I would´t consider this factor. I visited both schools and feel that the atmosphere was a good fit at both places so no differentiator here neither.

I also got WL at Stern which would be my top choice, but since it is not a sure thing I´m not keeping my hopes up. Regarding this, and being 29 already I would´t want to postpone the MBA by reapplying next year.

Thanks very much for whatever input you could give. Your advice is much appreciated.
Regards,
Gaston

Stern is clear cut if you want to stay. But as long as you will end up going to your country, I think going back with out much burden will great option. I vote for UNC. By the way, there is a deal between UNC and Duke for registering courses while you are student in the other school.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: 325 Q157 V168
GPA: 3.62
WE: Account Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 08:35
Definitely a tough (but good!) choice. I voted UNC as (A) saving money is clearly important to you and (B) there is no difference between the school's in your case regarding which school you would rather be at.

I do think that, on average, Duke probably places marginally better into banking, but UNC is not a slouch in this area either and most likely a lot of the firms that come to Duke will make the short walk over to UNC to recruit there as well. I tend to believe who you are will probably have more weight in you landing the banking / finance job you want rather than a Duke or UNC name on your resume.

That being said, if your 100% dead set on finance, I would probably work hard to get off of the NYU waitlist. This is pure speculation, but I bet those banking opportunites will be greater and even if you are only in the US for 1 year at a NYC bank you will make connections that will help your future Uruguay venture get off the ground.

I would also ask myself one other question: Unpredictable things happen during an MBA program and how important is the school's name to you if you do end up staying in the USA longer than anticipated?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 14:48
I would go with UNC because of the money, but try and see if you can get off the waitlist as Stern would be the best fit for you here

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 20:47
Review the employment status for both UNC and Duke, and also think about the value or need for a brand name when you return to UG. Duke has the most global brand but I think scholarship is indeed compelling, given that you plan to return. Stern is the best option - would recommend that you put something together to get off the WL. Your GMAT is good and the diversity factor is there, so I think there might be some issues (or missed opportunities) with your app or recommendations. Would encourage you to chat with a consultant about it.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
GastonUY wrote:
Hi guys.

Regards,
Gaston

Congrats on all the admits!!

UNC is a decent school and you should evaluate the finance roles that are offered out of UNC. I would suggest to ask the career management to share with you the last 3 years of data(finance roles). You can then speak to the alums in those fields.
65K is a lot of $$ and I would suggest to think about it critically , especially when you want to go back to your country!!

Hope this helps!!

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Re: Fuqua vs. Kenan Flagler (50% $$) vs. WL at Stern   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2017, 23:15

Fuqua vs. Kenan Flagler (50% $$) vs. WL at Stern

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap