GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fuqua vs McCombs $

new topic post reply Update application status  

Fuqua vs McCombs $

• 40% [4]
  • 60% [6]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
Fuqua vs McCombs $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 18:53
Hi guys,

I'm an international student (Asian) with 4.5 years of experience in IT (an MNC). I got admits into Fuqua (no $) and McCombs ($10k scholarship).

My goal after graduation is to work in product management in tech industry, preferably in CA or TX.

I would like to seek your advice on these two programs. My thoughts are as folows:

1) Fuqua: I was rejected last year, waitlisted this year in R1 and just got admit in R2 with no aids.
Pros:
+ Team Fuqua and Be Consequential culture.
+ Higher ranking and reputation either in US or Asia.
+ Larger alumni base.

Cons:
+ Big chunk of investment ($130k tuition fee). I have a family with kid so finance is one deciding factor.
+ Location given my post-MBA goal.

2) McCombs: showed me the love at my first application. I got impressed with my interviewer's background.
Pros:
+ Lower tuition fee ($90k after scholarship). Lower tax/healthcare/education fee.
+ Location: a lots of tech companies there. Closer to CA.

Cons:
+ More of a regional school.

Do you think Fuqua worth $40k more given my situation. Thanks a lot!
VP
VP
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: Fuqua vs McCombs $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 22:46
Top Contributor
tungkelvin wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm an international student (Asian) with 4.5 years of experience in IT (an MNC). I got admits into Fuqua (no $) and McCombs ($10k scholarship).

My goal after graduation is to work in product management in tech industry, preferably in CA or TX.

I would like to seek your advice on these two programs. My thoughts are as folows:

1) Fuqua: I was rejected last year, waitlisted this year in R1 and just got admit in R2 with no aids.
Pros:
+ Larger alumni base.

Cons:
+ Big chunk of investment ($130k tuition fee). I have a family with kid so finance is one deciding factor.

2) McCombs: showed me the love at my first application. I got impressed with my interviewer's background.
Pros:
+ Lower tuition fee ($90k after scholarship). Lower tax/healthcare/education fee.

Cons:

The long-term benefits of going to Fuqua may be worth the $40k and more. Other points:
- Neither Fuqua nor McCombs will really give you too much of a shot at jobs in CA. Fuqua jobs will be more east cost focused, with of course many in the research triangle itself. McCombs will be more TX focused, with limited CA influence. Some exceptions possible.
- Fuqua is a much stronger brand and will get you into stronger contention with the top names in tech consulting and product management (assuming you are heading to tech-focused career), just from a career perspective. From a learning perspective, both programs have a lot of depth when it comes to tech/product management.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 02:54
GyanOne wrote:
tungkelvin wrote:
Hi guys,

Pros:
+ Larger alumni base.

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

The long-term benefits of going to Fuqua may be worth the $40k and more. Other points:
- Neither Fuqua nor McCombs will really give you too much of a shot at jobs in CA. Fuqua jobs will be more east cost focused, with of course many in the research triangle itself. McCombs will be more TX focused, with limited CA influence. Some exceptions possible.
- Fuqua is a much stronger brand and will get you into stronger contention with the top names in tech consulting and product management (assuming you are heading to tech-focused career), just from a career perspective. From a learning perspective, both programs have a lot of depth when it comes to tech/product management.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Thank you for your advice.

As an international student who needs to count on luck on H1B lottery after 1-year OPT, finance is very important to me.
Anyway, I will ask Fuqua for some $ and decide.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 10:27
There will be far better answers than mine but just as a person who grew up in Texas and has been researching McCombs for brand management, I'm a fan of UT. The alumni network for Longhorns is just incredibly strong and if you include the undergrad (which to some degree should be factored I believe) than it's also massive.

It's a tough question and just such an immense amount of factors that you have to consider but if your looking at Texas (I presume Austin even more specifically) and California McCombs will serve you very well for the former. My understanding is Duke truly does focus on East Coast whereas I've met a good chunk of UT alum in San Francisco as well. Also consider looking at some of the companies you want to work for (potentially) and see how many grads from each program work there. You can go to the schools linkedin profile and search the alumni list for general guidance.

I think $40k is no joking matter but considering this will potentially be your last investment of this nature that will impact the course of your career try not to factor money in as much as possible and go off of culture, curriculum, and alumni network strength/location. Best of luck!

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Manager
Manager
B
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 00:25
If you're international all the more reason to go to Duke because of its stronger international brand.

Posted from my mobile device
&nbs [#permalink] 20 Mar 2017, 00:25

Fuqua vs McCombs $

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap