GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

650 in first attempt :: How to achieve 700+?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
650 in first attempt :: How to achieve 700+?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2020, 01:28
650 (Q46, V34) - First attempt.

My real prep time was 1.5 month since January. But I had been on and off on preparation since last September. Mocks had me pegged between 610 & 680 (GMAT prep was 640 & 680; Veritas 650, MGMAT - 610 & 640).

For my target programs (full time MBA @ HEC, IESE, SDA Boconni, and being an Indian male (non engineer), I need a 700 plus.

I am unsure what to do now. Haven't lost my resolve. But the disappointment is taking me over.

I am not pressed for time so I'm thinking, I can reschedule an appointment in another 1.5 months. But I'm really unsure now what would help to improve my score.

PS - Now that I feel a bit more calm. I need a roadmap to tackle this and get a 720 plus. Help please!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 650 in first attempt :: How to achieve 700+?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2020, 19:47
Hi ravigupta2912,

To start, a 650/Q46 is a solid performance. That having been said, raising a 650 to the point that you can consistently score 720+ will likely require at least another 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before we discuss how you might best continue with your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Over the last 1.5 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School? If it's soon, then what are the exact application deadlines that you are facing?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Feb 2020, 07:58
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ravigupta2912,

To start, a 650/Q46 is a solid performance. That having been said, raising a 650 to the point that you can consistently score 720+ will likely require at least another 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before we discuss how you might best continue with your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School? If it's soon, then what are the exact application deadlines that you are facing?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for responding. To answer your questions:-

I had to juggle work and preparation both, so for the initial 2 weeks, it ranged from maybe 0-1hrs on an average. In the last 3 weeks or so, I did average around 3-4hrs a day. But do keep in mind that I had been on and off on it for the past couple of months. So I wasn't exactly unfamiliar or totally shooting in the dark.

SC - Aristole SC Grail. Lots of GMATNinja videos as well.

CR - Powerscore Bible
RC - Nothing in particular (OG)

For SC, I am well versed with the concepts and the grammar and meaning rules. However, on test, I have noticed I realise not always on my approach (POE) but also on intuition (when stuck between 2-3 choices).

For RC & CR - I struggle to form the structure and accurately identify the answer. I need to be forced to provide a reason for rejection of answers I think.

For quant, I used MGMAT Strategy Guides for Number Systems & Geometry and did Advanced Quant. I had taken a Jamboree classroom course back in May 2019 so I was not unfamiliar with Q's. However, in quant I struggle with DS and P&C, Inequalities in general. I did the OG and gave quizzes on Veritas, which never ranked me over 50% for DS. Watched some videos from egmat as well on YouTube.

Veritas - 9th Feb 2020 v34, q46 (650)
MGMAT 1 - 4th Feb 2020 v34, q45 (650)
MGMAT 2 - 13TH Feb 2020 v33, q37 (580) (I threw the quant away after 24th Q since I found MGMAT quant significantly tougher)
MGMAT 3 - 13th Feb 2020, v37, q38 (630)
MGMAT 4 - 14th Feb 2020, v37, q 40 (640)

(Bear with me while I gather my GMAT prep scores. At work.)

I guess I bungled by giving too many CATs and actually wasting the limited resource.

I do have my weakness (at large) identified. It is just that I am struggling to move forward.

Planning to apply for 2021. I haven't worked out deadlines but they aren't imminent. I have time till May / June to submit applications but I do want to get over with GMAT by March / first week of April.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by ravigupta2912 on 19 Feb 2020, 21:20.
Last edited by ravigupta2912 on 21 Feb 2020, 07:58, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2020, 21:38
Hi Ravi, it might also be a good idea for you to post your ESR (Enhanced score report) here, for us to do a diagnosis of your performance.
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for GMAT Live Online Classes worldwide
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2020, 21:40
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Ravi, it might also be a good idea for you to post your ESR (Enhanced score report) here, for us to do a diagnosis of your performance.

I'll post that as soon as I get it. I gave the exam yesterday so I guess it'll take a couple of days.

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 15:57
Hi ravigupta2912,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. From what you describe, your studies were inconsistent - and you weren't putting in significant study time until the last few weeks before your Exam. As such, it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort to score higher yet.

In addition, GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

Once we have your ESR, we'll be able to better define the specific areas that you'll need to work on going forward.

Rich

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 18:24
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ravigupta2912,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. From what you describe, your studies were inconsistent - and you weren't putting in significant study time until the last few weeks before your Exam. As such, it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort to score higher yet.

In addition, GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

Once we have your ESR, we'll be able to better define the specific areas that you'll need to work on going forward.

Rich

I'll post the ESR as soon as I have it. 3 months would be too much. Do you think it is feasible in 1 to 1.5 months? If yes, what kind of study effort are we looking at? Just need ballpark estimates at this stage. I know the exact number would get more crystalise once you see the ESR.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 14:16
Hi ravigupta2912,

3 months is the TOTAL time that many GMATers put towards their studies - and since you've put in some study time already, you likely would not need another 3 months. In my first post in this thread, I noted that you would likely need at least another 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study (committing 15 - 20 hours a week towards your studies) before you could consistently score 720+ and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2020, 12:39
Hi ravigupta2912,

First of 650 with just 1.5 months of prep is not bad, my friend. So, nice work so far. Regarding how to improve your score to a higher level, you need to go through GMAT quant and verbal carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable, and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, then carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see, types that you would rather not see, and types that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

You can work on verbal in a similar manner. Let’s say you are reviewing Critical Reasoning. Be sure that you practice a large number of Critical Reasoning questions: Strengthen and Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, find the Conclusion, Must be True, etc. As you go through the questions, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get correct. If you missed a Weaken question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize what the question was asking? Did you skip over a key detail in an answer choice? Getting GMAT verbal questions right is a matter of what you know, what you see, and what you do. So, any time that you don't get one right, you can seek to identify what you had to know to get the right answer, what you had to see that you didn't see, and what you could have done differently to arrive at the correct answer.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses. You also may find it helpful to read the following article about The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2020, 22:54
Hi Guys, ESR is attached. My own observations are that I had some luck in RC and Inequalities. Otherwise, I am not that great in either.
Attachments

Ravi Gupta - ESR.pdf [1.25 MiB]
Downloaded 6 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2020, 19:01
So there were some problems in the earlier ESR. Re-screenshotted it and attaching it now.

Thankyou everyone!
Attachments

ESR.pdf [1.2 MiB]
Downloaded 6 times

To download please login or register as a user

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2020, 19:31
Hi Ravi,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes and questions.

Rich

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 650 in first attempt :: How to achieve 700+?   [#permalink] 29 Feb 2020, 19:31

650 in first attempt :: How to achieve 700+?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics