It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 13:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT exam on 3rd | Need urgent help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
GMAT exam on 3rd | Need urgent help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 00:08
Hello experts,

My second attempt of GMAT is scheduled for 3rd August. I need one urgent help regarding selection of section order.

I have given 6 practice tests till now and as verbal is my weaker section, in all the six practice test I started with verbal. But due to anxiety I always had to pause my exam few minutes after starting as I was not able to concentrate properly.

Can you please suggest with which section I should start -quant or verbal?

The positive in starting with verbal is I can handle my weaker section with a fresh mind but the side effect is anxiety might pull down my speed and eventually my score. There won't be much impact on Quant score even if i keep it in second slot.

If I start with quant the good part is anxiety will not have a huge impact on my overall performance. Even if I start slow I know I can cover up in quant in the remaining part of the section. But the problem is I will be starting verbal after almost 1.5 hrs and I am slightly unsure whether my brain will be drained out by that time.

As I am rigorously preparing for GMAT for past 3 weeks I think I can still manage verbal with a slightly tired brain but I am slightly skeptical about the role of anxiety in my Verbal performance.

Please help.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 67

Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: GMAT exam on 3rd | Need urgent help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Yash.. So am i writing it day after tomorrow.
Weaker section if attempted first gives better results.Go with Verbal. Attempting quant later will leave a chance for your brain to still perform well,yet with a lill exhaustion.
All these can only happen with anxiety under control.Eagerness and anxiety will kill entire test,no matter any order you choose first.Get your anxiety under control writing a test at home under simulated test condition.
All the very best.

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 67

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 01:26
Is there any change in GMAT exam pattern?
Do we get option to choose the section we want to attempt first?

Sent from my SM-C900F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17780 [0], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 02:52
gauraku wrote:

Yes. Read here: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2017/0 ... -new-gmat/

This post will also tell you whether you should take your stronger section first or the not-so-strong section first. Also, there is a case to be made for taking the Verbal section first and it is discussed here.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 03:14
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
gauraku wrote:

This post will also tell you whether you should take your stronger section first or the not-so-strong section first. Also, there is a case to be made for taking the Verbal section first and it is discussed here.

Thanks a lot karishma. I had read this article before but re-reading it again makes me believe that I should go ahead with Verbal. I completely agree to the point that it's better to do verbal when you are in a fresh and alert state.

The only thing which is making me go in favour of quant is the anxiety which i face at the beginning of the test. It not only reduces my speed but also reduces my efficiency. It is easier for me to cover up speed in quant(stronger section) than in verbal.

Do you think being anxious in the beginning will have any negative impact on my verbal performance? Also will be obliged if you can suggest how to reduce anxiety just before the verbal section.

You have been a great help during my complete GMAT preparation. A little guidance at this crucial stage will really help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1033 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 04:19
Yashkumar wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
gauraku wrote:

Thanks a lot karishma. I had read this article before but re-reading it again makes me believe that I should go ahead with Verbal. I completely agree to the point that it's better to do verbal when you are in a fresh and alert state.

The only thing which is making me go in favour of quant is the anxiety which i face at the beginning of the test. It not only reduces my speed but also reduces my efficiency. It is easier for me to cover up speed in quant(stronger section) than in verbal.

Do you think being anxious in the beginning will have any negative impact on my verbal performance? Also will be obliged if you can suggest how to reduce anxiety just before the verbal section.

You have been a great help during my complete GMAT preparation. A little guidance at this crucial stage will really help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1033 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

GMAT is a test of your grit as much as it is a test of your aptitude. Anxiety can be helpful too. Read this: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2015/0 ... -test-day/
You don't have a lot of time, I know, but getting down to the physiology of anxiety might help you understand and use it to your advantage better.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 04:42
If you can't get anxiety levels down go ahead with quant. Look at it this way 1.5 hours later u might even be in mindset of solving qs better than saying ur brain will be exhausted.

Sent from my C6902 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 21:21
Thanks Karishma. I immediately googled after sending out my post :)

Re: GMAT exam on 3rd | Need urgent help   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2017, 21:21

GMAT exam on 3rd | Need urgent help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap