Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:29 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: LBS '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2290 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep: plateaued and dejected. [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
FaxBro wrote:
The errors in verbal were majorly carelessness driven: not reading a few key words or mis-reading some words and rarely were they about being unsure of the text or how to tackle it.
I do feel a mental-fatigue lately, wherein there’s haziness and exhaustion, even after 8 hours of sleep everyday, in my head and while I do read what’s in front of me but to “understand” it seems to be getting a duller experience lately and I feel the need to re-read. So many coffees but doesn’t work much anymore.

FaxBro I captured the most important stuff in the quote above. I recommend this video as a good starting point. It seems to me that your mental state is the only thing holding you back, and further study is likely to push your score down rather than up.

avigutman, thank you. I went through the entire video and indeed I am going through what you've summarized succinctly in that video (I had GMAT prep nightmares throughout last night). I will take a couple of days off and check-in again on my capacity. I will also appear for the exam next month, apply with the score (assuming it's at least around the average score of the schools I am targeting) and will re-take after the application as well (as per your advice).
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi FaxBro.

In my experience, caffeine takes someone only so far, and drinking coffee to keep going can lead to burnout. So, there's something to consider because, overall, what you've been doing sounds pretty good. So, you may be mostly just somewhat burned out.

On a related note, just being careful, thorough, and precise is a huge aspect of GMAT success. In fact, it's so important that we could consider it an additional skill to work on the way you would work on developing skill in answering Combinations questions or analyzing RC passages. Accordingly, you might get some key ideas that you could use to achieve your score goal from the following post.

Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Prep: plateaued and dejected. [#permalink]
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice, especially GMATNinja, avigutman & MartyTargetTestPrep.

It’s been 13 days since I posted this and I took my Official GMAT practice test #2 today and scored a V38 Q50 (720). On top of using the mba.com platform in incognito mode, which did not lead to any issues, I significantly changed my exam day routine, including what I do to “warm up” for the exam and a change in order to verbal followed by quant.

I feel a lot more confident than I did before. I do feel that q50 could become a q49 on the exam day, hence, I still want to aim for a v40 or higher so I’ll try to analyze my verbal section with tremendous amount of scrutiny.

My only question right now that I would request your advice on is whether I should stick to allocating more time to the first 2/3rd of the verbal vs the last 1/3rd?
Is it better to afford to be “more casual” at the end and expect lesser penalties versus going wrong a few times up front?

Finally, should I book my GMAT Online exam for two weeks from now on the back of this? I've had a v36 and v37 in two MGMAT mocks leading up to today.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
FaxBro wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice, especially GMATNinja, avigutman & MartyTargetTestPrep.

It’s been 13 days since I posted this and I took my Official GMAT practice test #2 today and scored a V38 Q50 (720). On top of using the mba.com platform in incognito mode, which did not lead to any issues, I significantly changed my exam day routine, including what I do to “warm up” for the exam and a change in order to verbal followed by quant.

Nice work! What a great improvement.

Quote:
I feel a lot more confident than I did before. I do feel that q50 could become a q49 on the exam day, hence, I still want to aim for a v40 or higher so I’ll try to analyze my verbal section with tremendous amount of scrutiny.

My only question right now that I would request your advice on is whether I should stick to allocating more time to the first 2/3rd of the verbal vs the last 1/3rd?
Is it better to afford to be “more casual” at the end and expect lesser penalties versus going wrong a few times up front?

Well, you certainly don't want to miss any of the first few verbal questions, but there's not really any difference between the second third and the third third. So, you may be better off ditching a super hard one or two in the middle than waiting to the end to be "more casual."

That said, if what you're doing is working for you, maybe you should stick with it.

You could always work on speeding up by applying the ideas in this post.

How to Get Faster at GMAT Verbal

Quote:
Finally, should I book my GMAT Online exam for two weeks from now on the back of this? I've had a v36 and v37 in two MGMAT mocks leading up to today.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Taking the GMAT in two weeks probably makes sense.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, MartyTargetTestPrep and avigutman,

Thank you for your advice and tips. I took my GMAT (online) yesterday and when the screen flashed 710 (V37, Q49, IR6), I was somewhat relieved because I started from a 640 in 2020 and then gave up altogether for almost 2 years. However, I still feel that I can do better as this time I lost my way with verbal a little bit and was actually expecting a Q50 with the way the section flowed for me so can only assume that I made a silly mistake.

Since this is a score that I can potentially apply with, I would re-take the GMAT (online) with far less stress and anxiety in approximately 3 weeks from now, hoping to add at least 10 to 20 points to my current score.

If possible, please let me know your thoughts on:
1. Whether 3 weeks is a decent time period for the aim
2. What should my practise distribution be like (especially since I will now be resuming my full time work as well) in terms of hours and topics
3. Should I am for either a 710 round 1 application to LBS or a potential 720 or 730 round 2 application to LBS.

I'll share my bio below for reference and would really be grateful for your advice.

Demo: Indian, Male (27)
Undergrad: B.Tech (Electrical Engineering) from a good TIER 2 college, CGPA 7.81 (translates to a 4.0 from my understanding)
Gmat: 710 (Q49, V37, IR6); plan to retake within the next 3-4 weeks aiming for a 10 to 20 points bump
Extracurricular: Led student bodies in college; international semester internship; Wharton's Economics of Blockchain and Digital Assets online certification; amateur investor and financial markets enthusiast
Work Ex: 5+ years at MBB consulting in the Marketing function (right after graduation); 3 promotions
Post MBA goals: Integrative consulting track or the CXO track, preferably in Marketing
Target Schools: LBS, HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, Stanford, Columbia, INSEAD
Unique: I belong to a persecuted minority community

Thanks in advance!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2290 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
FaxBro wrote:
If possible, please let me know your thoughts on:
1. Whether 3 weeks is a decent time period for the aim

Yes, 3 weeks is good, FaxBro.
FaxBro wrote:
2. What should my practise distribution be like (especially since I will now be resuming my full time work as well) in terms of hours and topics

You should avoid studying before the next attempt. Here's why.
FaxBro wrote:
3. Should I am for either a 710 round 1 application to LBS or a potential 720 or 730 round 2 application to LBS.

I'm not an admissions expert, but my best guess is round 1 is better. If you get a higher GMAT score after the deadline, you can update the admissions committee with your new score. You should probably confirm this when an admissions expert though.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30812 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
FaxBro - Apply in R1 if you think you can complete your LBS application by Sept 9, 10 PM IST. Then improve your score and send that updated score to LBS before Oct 6, 2022. That way you will get to apply in R1 and get enough time to improve.

-Rajat
GMAT Club Bot