GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 16:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT score of 650 IN 2nd attempt. Suggestion on what to do further ?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.92
GMAT score of 650 IN 2nd attempt. Suggestion on what to do further ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 04:37
Hi all,

I gave my GMAT today and came out disappointed with a score of 650 (77%) (48 Q; 32 V), IR - 6. This was my 2nd attempt at GMAT with previous score of 590.

I'm very confused right now and know its not a good idea to apply to TOP schools in USA with this GMAT score. But i would like to go for a MBA this year as i am already having 3 years of work-ex and do not want to wait one more year. Please recommend me some good B-Schools to apply to.

To give an idea about my profile-
Nationality: Indian
Undergrad: Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical), Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology, Hyderabad - Affiliated to Osmania University
GPA: 4
Total Work ex: 3.1 yrs (till now)
Designation: Software Engineering Analyst (Worked on Transportation and E Tolling sector in Product Research & Development Industry group )
Other industry groups worked in :
• Business Communications
• Automotive & Manufacturing
Company: Accenture ( Clients : Metrolinx, Canada & BMW, Germany)
Current city: Hyderabad

Other Work Experience
: Worked at the Client location in Bangalore as an onsite Module Lead (one of the youngest coordinators in my project) for 2 months for a team of 20 people. Received 3 High Performance awards & 1 Extra mile award
awards.

Certifications:
Scrum Trained Professional
Blockchain Fundamentals Deep Dive
New IT Conversant
ATA Certified Application Tester
BCM Certified

Extra-curricular:
•I'm a freelance content writer. I have two independent blogs where I keep publishing articles. That apart my articles have been published for a youth feature in TOI paper and on public forums. I'm currently freelancing part time for an energy and renewables startup called 'Oasis Base' & another Hyderabad based startup.
• Contributed an article on “THE JOY OF COLLEGE” to Times of India.
• Attended a two day workshop on ROBOTICS conducted by Robo sapiens Technologies Pvt. Ltd in association with TRYST- IIT DELHI at CBIT in 2012.
•Presented a Technical Paper on “APPLICATIONS OF NITROUS OXIDE IN AUTOMOBILES” at MECHANICA, Tech Fest, Department of Mechanical Engineering, and CBIT.
•Awarded I Prize in inter-college AERO DESIGN and FABRICATION competition
at SAE STUDENT CONVENTION (SOUTH).
•Ranked among the first 1% students at St. Andrew’s High School 2009 batch.
• Participated and won many Essay Writing Competitions at Intra-school and Inter-school level.
• Was among the Top 10 finalists from 400 participants in the Spell Bee event held
at St.Andrew’s High School.
•Awarded “ROLL OF HONOUR” and “ALL ROUNDER” certificates during VIII, IX and X th standards at St. Andrew’s High School.
• Held the post of Organiser of Hospitality of SAE STUDENT CONVENTION (SOUTH), at CBIT for 2011-2012.
• Held the post of Member of ASME CBIT Chapter.
• Was a Volunteer for the event Young Orator held as an event during SHRUTHI 2012,Cultural Festival, CBIT
•Represented St. Andrew’s High School at the City Level Finals of AQUA REGIA-The Science Quiz conducted by TIME in which more than 2, 50,000 students from 25 cities in INDIA participated.
•Was an EMCEE at various events in school, junior college and University and Organized various Informal games during the cultural fests.

Engineering Experiences / Projects:
• Summer Internship: TATA ADVANCED SYSTEMS LIMITED (TASL),Adibatla, Hyderabad (July 2014 - August 2014)
• Term projects: Design and Production of Seamless Rocket Motor Tube using Reverse Flow Forming – Mentor Institution: BHARAT DYNAMICS LIMITED (BDL).
• NGO Internship: Worked as teacher and volunteer at Sarvodaya Vidyalaya , a school for the under privileged children from 2011 to 2013.
•Summer Internship: Volunteered to help children studying in government elementary schools by creating and collecting high-quality open-access multimedia multilingual content in Science and Maths as a Contributor to the Scholars for Change Campaign by Ravi J Matthai centre for Educational innovation, IIM Ahmedabad.

Kindly answer my below queries:
1. Are there any TIER1& TOP TIER2 schools I can still apply to and hope for acceptance (along with Scholarship/RA/TA/Fellowship)? - My key interest geography wise still being the US.
2. Can I hope to get into the following schools? Which among these will be good for Business/Technology consulting as that would be my focus area?
a. Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
b. Tepper, CMU
c. Indiana University, Kelley School of Business
d. RotmanSchool of Management
Full Time MBA
e.Said School of Business Oxford.
f. Cornell University, SCJ school of business

I'd be really thankful if you guide me in this and help get through.

Thanks!
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: GMAT score of 650 IN 2nd attempt. Suggestion on what to do further ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 21:18
Hellokk10

Though you have some strong points in your work ex and extracurricular activities, with your Indian/IT background a much higher GMAT is expected for Tier 1 schools.
A much deeper strategy of your past experience and more importantly your future goals (missing in your post) needs to be prepared to get to a final list of 5-10 schools.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

kk10 wrote:
Hi all,

I gave my GMAT today and came out disappointed with a score of 650 (77%) (48 Q; 32 V), IR - 6. This was my 2nd attempt at GMAT with previous score of 590.

I'm very confused right now and know its not a good idea to apply to TOP schools in USA with this GMAT score. But i would like to go for a MBA this year as i am already having 3 years of work-ex and do not want to wait one more year. Please recommend me some good B-Schools to apply to.

Undergrad: Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical), Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology, Hyderabad - Affiliated to Osmania University
Designation: Software Engineering Analyst (Worked on Transportation and E Tolling sector in Product Research & Development Industry group )

Other Work Experience
: Worked at the Client location in Bangalore as an onsite Module Lead (one of the youngest coordinators in my project) for 2 months for a team of 20 people. Received 3 High Performance awards & 1 Extra mile award
awards.

Certifications:
New IT Conversant
BCM Certified

Extra-curricular:
•I'm a freelance content writer. I have two independent blogs where I keep publishing articles. That apart my articles have been published for a youth feature in TOI paper and on public forums. I'm currently freelancing part time for an energy and renewables startup called 'Oasis Base' & another Hyderabad based startup.
• Attended a two day workshop on ROBOTICS conducted by Robo sapiens Technologies Pvt. Ltd in association with TRYST- IIT DELHI at CBIT in 2012.
•Presented a Technical Paper on “APPLICATIONS OF NITROUS OXIDE IN AUTOMOBILES” at MECHANICA, Tech Fest, Department of Mechanical Engineering, and CBIT.
• Participated and won many Essay Writing Competitions at Intra-school and Inter-school level.
• Was among the Top 10 finalists from 400 participants in the Spell Bee event held
•Awarded “ROLL OF HONOUR” and “ALL ROUNDER” certificates during VIII, IX and X th standards at St. Andrew’s High School.
• Held the post of Organiser of Hospitality of SAE STUDENT CONVENTION (SOUTH), at CBIT for 2011-2012.
• Was a Volunteer for the event Young Orator held as an event during SHRUTHI 2012,Cultural Festival, CBIT
•Represented St. Andrew’s High School at the City Level Finals of AQUA REGIA-The Science Quiz conducted by TIME in which more than 2, 50,000 students from 25 cities in INDIA participated.
•Was an EMCEE at various events in school, junior college and University and Organized various Informal games during the cultural fests.

• Summer Internship: TATA ADVANCED SYSTEMS LIMITED (TASL),Adibatla, Hyderabad (July 2014 - August 2014)
• Term projects: Design and Production of Seamless Rocket Motor Tube using Reverse Flow Forming – Mentor Institution: BHARAT DYNAMICS LIMITED (BDL).
• NGO Internship: Worked as teacher and volunteer at Sarvodaya Vidyalaya , a school for the under privileged children from 2011 to 2013.
•Summer Internship: Volunteered to help children studying in government elementary schools by creating and collecting high-quality open-access multimedia multilingual content in Science and Maths as a Contributor to the Scholars for Change Campaign by Ravi J Matthai centre for Educational innovation, IIM Ahmedabad.

1. Are there any TIER1& TOP TIER2 schools I can still apply to and hope for acceptance (along with Scholarship/RA/TA/Fellowship)? - My key interest geography wise still being the US.
2. Can I hope to get into the following schools? Which among these will be good for Business/Technology consulting as that would be my focus area?
b. Tepper, CMU
Full Time MBA

Thanks!

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT score of 650 IN 2nd attempt. Suggestion on what to do further ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 22:52
kk10 wrote:
Hi all,

Other Work Experience
awards.

Certifications:
New IT Conversant
BCM Certified

Extra-curricular:

b. Tepper, CMU
Full Time MBA

Thanks!

What is your post-MBA goal and why do you feel that you need an MBA? Knowing that would be helpful and you didn’t mention anything about that at all...

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT score of 650 IN 2nd attempt. Suggestion on what to do further ? &nbs [#permalink] 16 Sep 2018, 22:52

GMAT score of 650 IN 2nd attempt. Suggestion on what to do further ?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap