Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Help How to get 700+ in GMAT (2 attempts completed) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
HI Prakesh,

Sorry to hear about your struggles with GMAT.

Based on your GMAT score, you appear to be pretty set with quant. Of course, you could always bring up your quant score if you desired. However, to raise your overall GMAT score, you will need to improve your verbal.

To improve your verbal score, it may be a good idea to concentrate on learning/practicing one section at a time, reading comprehension, sentence correction, or critical reasoning. Have you been able to study in this way?

For example, when learning about critical reasoning, attempt to master all aspects of critical reasoning before moving on to another section. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within each topic. For example, if you continually have trouble with strengthening arguments based on scientific evidence, you will want to identify and overcome that difficulty. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension.

Also, to help improve your reading comprehension, I recommend reading publications such as the Economist, the New Yorker, Scientific American, or the Smithsonian so you can get used to reading and analyzing long, sophisticated passages that are well-written.

To master sentence correction, you must become proficient in the use of grammar rules (e.g. parallelism, subject-verb agreement, comparisons, pronouns, etc.) and accepted English usage. Concentrate on one topic at a time, such as modification, and practice with as many modification questions as you can find. Only after you feel confident with modification should you move to the next topic. In addition to your dedicated study, notice grammar and usage in your everyday life. When you read emails, articles, or even blog posts, pay attention to sentence structure, subject-verb agreement, the use of pronouns, and even punctuation. Use proper grammar in your everyday writing as well. Have you put parallel ideas into parallel constructions? Do all of your pronouns agree with their antecedents? The more you reinforce your study with related activity outside of your study, the greater the likelihood you will master the topics, and have fun doing so!

As for practice exams, there is no exact number that you need to complete before your real exam. You may consider not taking any more exams until you have sufficiently found and fixed your verbal weaknesses. When you do resume taking them, take as many official MBA.com exams as possibe, as those exams best reflect what you will see on test day.

If you have any further questions feel free to reach out.

Originally posted by ScottTargetTestPrep on 06 Sep 2016, 11:06.
Last edited by ScottTargetTestPrep on 03 Nov 2016, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Help How to get 700+ in GMAT (2 attempts completed) [#permalink]
Thanks for all the responses guys. I have signed up for both empower GMAT and eGMAT trial and will decide by the weekend which i want to try. I will post again here on which one I chose.

rajat. I saw through your webinar and read through the links that you have posted. I like how you have coined the term score plateau and in a way it makes a lot of sense. Let me finish the trial and make an informed decision but I do appreciate the personal response and I am better informed now than I was before i posted this. I have also signed up for the weekend RC webinar to hear you guys out.

rich - I did speak to my admission consultants locally here and all I heard is I need to show a better verbal score in another GMAT exam based on my profile, background and my interest in level of schools. And yes I totally agree with the idea that I need to invest in new materials. I thought I did but I think I need better guidance and a better way to track where i need to improve.

scott thanks for taking the time to respond. I thought I took a chapter mastered it and then went to the next one but I think somewhere along the way I realise was just jumping around practicing what I felt like practicing for the day and got lost. One thing I realise it I didn't do well is learning from mistakes or keeping a better track of them. I wish a software or a course can do this for me considering the way technology is and lessens this burden from my shoulders.
Also, I realise that with my new job I have gotten a little impatient in reading long posts and hence (ironically i am writing one now) and I wasn't really comfortable with Reading Comprehension overall.

Also I got my ESR for second attempt. For some reason my Quant difficulty started in medium high and stayed in medium high to high throughout the exam. Explains why i found the test to be difficult overall (yet a lower score) but in my first attempt it started off in medium and reached a medium high. I wish i can post my ESR here to get some better analysis and expert comments o areas to improve but I am unable to do so at this time as I am still an amateur here in this forum.

In Verbal section, i am in the 74th percentile in CR, 34th in RC and 40th in SC. I guess SC and RC are my areas for improvement. I do agree I can squeeze a couple of more points from Quant but let me see what works best for me here. The second attempt my practice in quant was limited compared to my first one.
If anyone can reach out to me I can send the ESR and perhaps you can guide me further.

I am also investing in the exam pack. As many of you suggested taking multiple test from different sources isn't going to help much and it is a better gauge to use the test from the test makers themselves and at this point i think i pretty much know the answers to the free test in gmat prep.

Thanks again for all your replies guys. I do appreciate you taking the time and replying me personally. I hope I can be one on the success story section of gmat club forum very soon. if not I am still determined to try until I get there.

Best Regards,
Prashanth
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Prashanth,

The fact that you have studied for so long, and have seen fluctuations in your scores might indicate a problem with your study habits.

As you study, we recommend that you focus on quality over quantity.

Doing hundreds of hundreds of more questions without really understanding the concepts or the booby traps that you’re falling into will not necessarily get you where you want to be.

Try going back to previous questions and seeing if you can answer them with ease. The more you can answer correctly, the more likely it is that you understand the material.

Here is a customized one month study plan that can help boost your score: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

Use this as a guideline. You don’t have to follow it exactly but the structure of the study plan should be the same structure that you take in your approach. This helps to optimize your retention and learning.

As you study, we recommend that you focus on one particular subsection for multiple consecutive days before moving onto the next. You can see this in our study plan where we recommend 5 days on nothing but SC -- before moving onto CR and then RC.

Here is a sample SC video to help you start your journey: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

Best of luck - we are here to help.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Prashanth,

First of all, I’m happy to help! I realize that the GMAT is a demanding and frustrating exam, so I’m always willing to assist a student in need.

I wanted to address your comment: “One thing I realise it I didn't do well is learning from mistakes or keeping a better track of them. I wish a software or a course can do this for me considering the way technology is and lessens this burden from my shoulders.”

You describe some important learning features, and I agree with you; these features are very important. Why don’t you get a trial to the TTP GMAT Quant Course? The course is quite robust, with 21 chapters and over 3,000 realistic GMAT practice questions. Best of all, the course has detailed analytics that will provide data on how you are scoring on such granular topics as the difference of squares, units digit patterns, remainders, average rate problems, etc. Thus, by using our course, you can easily identify and fix your remaining quant weaknesses and hopefully drive up your quant score to a 50 or 51. If you would like to check out the course, you can start with a 1 dollar that will expire after five days - no automatic billing. The course also contains a number of other helpful learning tools that I think you’ll value.

However, you can also start by diagnosing your GMAT quant strengths and weaknesses with my free 37-question quant diagnostic. After completing the diagnostic, you are provided with a detailed analysis of your proficiency level of all GMAT quant topics, as well as an opportunity to discuss your diagnostic results with me or another TTP instructor/coach.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Help How to get 700+ in GMAT (2 attempts completed) [#permalink]
SHould have updated earlier. I have decided to go for the eGMAT verbal online prep. I about 20% through the sentence correction and so far I am liking the overall presentation of it.

I will update here once I take some mocks and see if I actually have any performance improvements and get rid of my score plateau. but So far I feel quite positive by the approach of e-gmat.

Thanks Rajat egmat for your patience and taking the time for explaining.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
As always, questions like CMT 3,4 are often on the exam in a more developed form. Take a look at below and you’ll see the type of question that’s really common these days. This one, too, is a 5051-evel problem that is equivalent to CMT 4(A). You must get used to these. You need to know how variable approaches and CMT are related.

(ex 1) (integer) If x and y are postive integers, what is the remainder when 100x+y is divided by 11?
1) x=22
2) y=1
==> If you change the original condition and the prolem, you all ways get the remainder of 1 if you divide 100x by 11 regardless of the value of x. Thus, you only need to know y. Therefore, the answer is . This is a typical 5051 level problem. (CMT 4(A))
Answer: A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
MathRevolution wrote:
As always, questions like CMT 3,4 are often on the exam in a more developed form. Take a look at below and you’ll see the type of question that’s really common these days. This one, too, is a 5051-evel problem that is equivalent to CMT 4(A). You must get used to these. You need to know how variable approaches and CMT are related.

(ex 1) (integer) If x and y are postive integers, what is the remainder when 100x+y is divided by 11?
1) x=22
2) y=1
==> If you change the original condition and the prolem, you all ways get the remainder of 1 if you divide 100x by 11 regardless of the value of x. Thus, you only need to know y. Therefore, the answer is . This is a typical 5051 level problem. (CMT 4(A))
Answer: A

Wait what? How is the remainder of 100x:11 always 1 regardless of x? If x=0, the remainder is 0. If x=2, the remainder is 2.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot