Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help Needed: how to improve Q18 to Q30 for Sep 9 [#permalink]
Its been almost 40 days I started using a online math prep for preparation & I have completed 40% of it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shasara,

Over the past 16 months, you've posted a variety of messages that involve the same general goal (you're having trouble improving and you're looking for advice). On each of those threads, you've received responses - but you ended up not responding or not following-up with additional information. Over a year ago, you reported a Q13 and now you're reporting a Q18. Something is clearly 'off' about how you've been studying. Whatever 'issues' you're facing, they can almost certainly be fixed, but it's clearly going to take more than 3 weeks for that process to happen.

1) How did you score on this recent CAT overall (including the Verbal Scaled Score)?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shasara,

If you are currently scoring 18 on quant, it’s likely that you are struggling with fundamental principles underlying GMAT quant.

Do you have a grasp on basic fraction operations - addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division? Are you able to manipulate algebraic equations comfortably? Can you solve a basic quadratic equation? Do you understand what it means to define one variable “in terms of another”? Are you comfortable with data sufficiency (DS) questions? Are you able to differentiate between a yes/no DS question and a value DS question? If the answer is no to any of these questions, then you may have to take some more time to develop your basic GMAT quant skills prior to moving on to more advanced topics.

I would be happy to provide some more specific advice, but I have a few questions:

1) Can you provide us with the dates and score breakdowns from your Official GMAT prep practice exams? When you took the practice tests, did you take them under realistic conditions (e.g. in a quiet environment, no extended breaks)? Did you complete the entire CAT, including the IR and Essay sections?

2) Describe your study routine. What resources have you been using to study? How many hours a day have you studied??

3) What are the MBA programs to which you plan to apply? What deadlines are you targeting?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I would like to apologize to everyone for the delay in replying (especially Rich who was kind and patience ...replying to my messages that I have been posted).
1) How did you score on this recent CAT overall (including the Verbal Scaled Score)?
Today I have taken the GMAT prep test & scored 300 Q 17 V13
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Spring 2017/Summer 2017

Thanks,
S.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shasara,

After taking each CAT, it's important to do a full review of the CAT, so that you can determine WHY you were getting questions wrong. That information can help you to figure out what you actually need to focus on going forward (instead of just continuing to randomly work through practice questions).

After reviewing this CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just couldn't remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

Right now, there are likely some 'content' areas that you need to work on, but it's not clear whether your biggest issue is a lack of knowledge or that you're making lots of little mistakes on questions that you are capable of getting correct. Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Help Needed: how to improve Q18 to Q30 for Sep 9 [#permalink]
Hello Jeff,
You were right about my scores.The main reason I scored Q 18 is because of my bad math skills & tactics. I would have scored better.If I spent enough time in learning basics rather than moving to advanced topics and solving quizzes.
1)i) Can you provide us with the dates and score breakdowns from your Official GMAT prep practice exams?
Without knowing my current skills & time to be spent on Q & V thinking that it would very easy to score 520.I registered for my 1st GMAT on APRIL 11 2015.I scored 240 (Q 13 V 10)in my 1st GMAT :!: :?: Yes you heard right.I had created a world worst score record in GMAT.After such a huge disaster I decided not to take GMAT again.Since,then I haven't touched any kind of GMAT material.In Jan 2016 while I was browsing I came across a student SUCCESS STORIE in gmatclub which made me inspired and realized I should try again.
ii) When you took the practice tests, did you take them under realistic conditions (e.g. in a quiet environment, no extended breaks)? Did you complete the entire CAT, including the IR and Essay sections?
8/26/2016 GMAT Practice Test 2
300 (Q17 & V13)
No I haven't completed entire CAT.I skipped IR & AWA. I have taken test to know current skills to be frank I completed only 40% of syllabus in Verbal (SC & few questioms types such as inference,strengthen,weaken in CR & in Quant only few concepts such as Algebra,Number pro,Word problems)
2) Describe your study routine. What resources have you been using to study? How many hours a day have you studied?
For my 1st test I hardly spent less than 2 months studied 3 hours a day(only OG 2012).
Preparations For Retaking:
I had registered in e-gmat live prep in jan 2016(vaild for 6 months) but I started preparation in May 2016& I was able to complete SC & only few concepts in CR ( inference,assumptions(studied 1 to 2 hours a day) & for Quant I registered in Empowergmat (from July 14 2016) from past 40 days I was able to complete up to 42% of modules.. studying 4 to 5 hours a day in weekdays & in weekends 2 hours a day.
3) What are the MBA programs to which you plan to apply? What deadlines are you targeting?
I'm interested in MAcc & MBA in(Finance& Acc).I want to apply for Jan 2017 / Summer 2017

Thanks,
S.

Originally posted by shasara on 27 Aug 2016, 11:47.
Last edited by shasara on 01 Sep 2016, 08:24, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Help Needed: how to improve Q18 to Q30 for Sep 9 [#permalink]
Hello Rich,
After your suggestion I made a review of CAT & able to know where I went wrong.
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
No
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just couldn't remember how to do?
Yes,I have taken the test without much preparation..I couldn't remember how to solve them under timed conditions so I ended up wasting majority of time.
3) Because the question was too hard?
Yes...they were hard because I was unaware of certain topics & how to solve them.
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
Yes...Majority of my answers were guessed one especially Quant & RC.I was comfortable in SC &CR ( I scored 10/14(i.e 70%) 2 were silly mistakes & remaining 2 I had to guess . Even though I'm unaware of CR concepts I was able to score up to 7/12 questions.

Thanks,
S.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shasara,

If you really didn't get any questions wrong because of silly/little mistakes and your primary 'issue' is a lack of proper math knowledge/training, then you should probably stop studying the GMAT for the time being and focus on building up your essential math skills.

For free math practice and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time re-building those skills, you can restart your GMAT studies.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot