Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: HELP Preparation from 580 last Mock to 700-720 [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi evelazq,

First off, raising a 380 to a 580 in 2 months is a significant improvement - and it shows that you have to capacity to gain (and use) knowledge. You're going to find that the next jump up in score will be a bit more challenging and will almost certainly require that you shift your focus from gaining knowledge to practicing Tactics and learning patterns. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied exactly?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
4) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Goals:
5) What is your new Official GMAT Test Date?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hello, thanks for your reply, as for your questions i answer:
1) I have studied 1 month oart time, without much focus, basically reviewing the MGMAT books and last month I studied full time 6-8 hours daily, one day break.
2)Materials have been MGMAT books and OG 13th edition
3)Mocks
1st Kaplan Mid October 380 (Q16 ,V26) (Without any study and knowing 0 about GMAT and data suff.)
2nd MGMAT December 22 520 (Q33, V30) (After reviewing 90% of MGMAT books)
3rd MGMAT January 3 580 (Q38, V31) ( Practicing with OG 13th)
4) Yes, i have done every mock with AWA & IR

GOALS
5) My exam is in April 12
6) Applying for Jan '18 Sept '18
7) Schools : SDA Bocconi, HEC Paris, LSB, IE Business School

Thanks for your help
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi evelazq,

By focusing on the GMAT now - and applying to Business School far later on - you've made some smart choices. With an April 12th Test Date, you've also given yourself plenty of time to study - which is good.

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Based on what you've described, you're really only studied consistently for about a month - so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet. This is meant to say that you will likely improve as you continue to study. However, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. It might be too early to say whether that has happened to you or not, but with your score goal you will likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. Right now, the question is whether you want to do that sooner or later.

Since your last CAT was over 2 weeks ago, I suggest that you take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). We can use that score result to gauge how well you're still improving.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi evelazq,

By focusing on the GMAT now - and applying to Business School far later on - you've made some smart choices. With an April 12th Test Date, you've also given yourself plenty of time to study - which is good.

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Based on what you've described, you're really only studied consistently for about a month - so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet. This is meant to say that you will likely improve as you continue to study. However, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. It might be too early to say whether that has happened to you or not, but with your score goal you will likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. Right now, the question is whether you want to do that sooner or later.

Since your last CAT was over 2 weeks ago, I suggest that you take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). We can use that score result to gauge how well you're still improving.

Rich

Thanks, I will do that this weekend, I am going on vacations for 2 weeks an after that, I will be on GMAT mode until the exam. I am taking the FULL MOCK and I will continue reviewing some things during the vacations. But definetelly has crossed my mind to get extra resources to further improve my score. I have checked magoosh and e-gmat, but i will definetelly check your plan

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot