It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to prepare for B-School

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.9
How to prepare for B-School [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 00:12
Hi everyone!

I recently got lucky enough to gain an admit to ISB, so will be heading there April 2017.
I was in the merchant navy until now and will be (99.99 percent sure) pursuing Operations.
I wanted to know what all I can do to prepare for B-School, since with my background I have zero experience in Stats , Fin or Accounting.
I have been given a variety of suggestions ranging from CFA level 1 prep, Financial Modelling to Business Analytic courses. I am thoroughly confused. Could you please give me an idea of what I can do. Any certifications that might help?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: How to prepare for B-School [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 10:15
kshitij ghildiyal wrote:
Hi everyone!

I recently got lucky enough to gain an admit to ISB, so will be heading there April 2017.
I was in the merchant navy until now and will be (99.99 percent sure) pursuing Operations.
I wanted to know what all I can do to prepare for B-School, since with my background I have zero experience in Stats , Fin or Accounting.
I have been given a variety of suggestions ranging from CFA level 1 prep, Financial Modelling to Business Analytic courses. I am thoroughly confused. Could you please give me an idea of what I can do. Any certifications that might help?

I think I can tell you what would be least productive. CFA I for Ops. No no. Just because it's a ton of money to learn what's covered there.
I'd pick up an Econ 101 and/or STAT 101 textbook. That should do.

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 06:44
ramp275 wrote:
kshitij ghildiyal wrote:
Hi everyone!

I think I can tell you what would be least productive. CFA I for Ops. No no. Just because it's a ton of money to learn what's covered there.

Hey! thanks for the reply! well I already did get the CFA material.. some Schweser notes from a xerox shop..... yes I have begun struggling with a book on accounts.. its absolutely killing me!!

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 07:23
Ya, accounting would be a bad place to start. I'd say start with Book1 - skip ethics of course. And then to econ. You could save accounting for the end. Not that one has to do with another, it's just that accounting could be a little dry.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 09:40
My class mate actually wrote a book for this, we went to Darden together and he wrote down everything he wished he had known before hand: excel, financing, stats etc. You can find the book on Amazon, its called MBA Prep

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 05:17

Re: How to prepare for B-School   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2017, 05:17