GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

I'm making a lot of silly mistakes while doing quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
I'm making a lot of silly mistakes while doing quant   [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 09:13
I'm making a lot of silly mistakes while doing quant like calculation errors and reading the question wrong or copying down the figures wrong. That usually means I have to redo questions (if I'm lucky and the wrong answer I arrived at is not in the options). As a result I loose on a lot of easy and medium questions which I know exactly how to solve.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
Re: I'm making a lot of silly mistakes while doing quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 09:26
The same is happening with me too. I am about a month away from my exam. Any suggestions how to improve on it.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 06:31
The basic reasons of silly mistakes are overconfidence and lack of practice. So, following things may help:

1. Put your pen to the paper. Yes. Try not to solve questions mentally and solve them on paper. This often eliminated the silly calculation mistakes.

2. Read the Question Carefully. Understand that almost Every single word in Quant is important. So, pay special attention to statements.
For instance: a, b, & c are integers :arrow: meaning that they can also be Negative..

3. Practice more questions. There is no denying that Practice makes us perfect and in addition to perfection, it is one of the best ways to eliminate silly mistakes.

4. Re-check your answer. Though it will take an additional 5 to 10 secs, it is better to spend that additional time than to get those easy/medium questions questions wrong..

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 13:20
Write down the actual math you're doing at each step. Don't skip steps or try to combine multiple steps into one. And don't try to 'go faster' - if you find that you have to force yourself to write or read very quickly, you're not approaching the problem efficiently enough. Think 'smooth', not 'fast.'

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: I'm making a lot of silly mistakes while doing quant   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2017, 13:20

I'm making a lot of silly mistakes while doing quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap