Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Idioms - Why to learn them? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
oryahalom wrote:
Hi,

I have a general question about idioms: What's the point in learning tens or hundreds of idioms if there is a bunch of other - less familiar - idioms that it is impossible (almost :)) to learn? let's assume that i have learned all the correct idioms in the Manhattan strategy guide. Even than i'll not be able to eliminate choices on idioms grounds (even if one of the idiom i'm familiar with will appear) because i'm not familiar with all the idioms in the world. So what the hack? What is the value in learning idioms if it dose not allow me to eliminate choices on idioms grounds?

The OA will be automatically revealed on Wednesday 30th of August 2017 04:28:09 PM Pacific Time Zone
I'm really looking forward to seeing the OA to this question :-)

I agree with you to some extent. I certainly don't ask my students to memorize long "idiom lists". However, there are some structures that occur quite frequently. It might be a good idea to go through those. For example, you do want to be able to remove an option that uses both X as well as Y instead of both X and Y.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun - Thanks for your response (the answer will pop up right away :)) i understand what do you say, but if it actually means that i have to learn the "right idioms" as well as the "wrong ones", doesn't it?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
oryahalom wrote:
Hi, I have a general question about idioms: What's the point in learning tens or hundreds of idioms

Hi oryahalom, indeed chances are almost zilch that an option would be incorrect solely because of incorrect idiom usage.

Having said that, the use of idioms is so prevalent in English that it is highly unlikely that GMAC will completely stop testing them.

Hence, we believe that the extreme choices of either learning no idiom at all, or memorizing hundreds of idioms, are both inefficient approaches.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana collates a list of around 20-30 most prominent idioms, their application and examples. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
The usage of idioms on the test has been reduce substantially over the years so as not to produce an inherent bias in the test.

There are, of course, certain stylistic elements that will be tested -- such as X&Y consistency, and how certain words are placed together -- but there really are just a handful.

We've structured our SC course around these small handful of commonly tested idiomatic expressions that pretty much cover all you need for the test. I believe there's an overestimation of the importance of idioms on the test -- but that really has changed a lot compared to 10-15 yrs ago -- to the benefit of non-native English speakers.

I'm confident that if you are able to master the most common SC stylistic idiomatic expressions -- you will be 100% prepared for what you will see on the actual test.

You can learn more about GMAT Pill at www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Because it's nationally biased phrases that are used in everyday speech in each country. I'm sure that you have used them at least 2 times. Because with their help you can beautify your speech and show attitude to different things. Also, with the help of idioms you can say smth that can hardly be explained or have a very long explanation.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
The MPrep Sentence Correction guide has two lists of idioms for exactly this reason! Focus on two things:

1. The 'short list' of commonly tested idioms, in the 'idioms' chapter of the book (NOT the long list in the appendix)
2. Any idiom that actually causes you to miss a problem while you're practicing.

There are many things you should focus on before you work on idioms, such as modifiers and parallelism. If you aren't already at a pretty high level with the more commonly tested SC topics, don't waste your time studying hundreds (or even dozens) of idioms that you likely won't see on the test. It would only be worth doing if you had basically infinite time to study; in reality, idioms are often a low-value topic.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts