GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jun 2019, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Do and Die!!
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 256
If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jul 2013, 05:52
1
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

68% (02:26) correct 32% (02:14) wrong based on 266 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Set A: {1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15}

If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without replacement, what is the probability that the sum of the three numbers is divisible by 3?

A. 3/14
B. 2/7
C. 9/14
D. 5/7
E. 11/14

The sum of any three number from set B={3,6,12,15} would be divisible by 3. with combination method we can find how many ways we can select 3 numbers from set B. 5C3 = 10 so the probability would be 10/7

2nd method is of probability: The easy would be not selecting 1 and 4 from the set.
so P(not 1 and not 4) = P (not 1) * P(not4) => (1-1/7) * (1-1/6) => 5/7

Both Answers are wrong !!
where i'm going wrong.
Thanks

_________________
I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Originally posted by shrive555 on 28 Dec 2010, 10:02.
Last edited by Bunuel on 07 Jul 2013, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 55609
Re: probability/3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2010, 10:17
2
2
shrive555 wrote:
Set A: {1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15}

If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without replacement, what is the probability that the sum of the three numbers is divisible by 3?

The sum of any three number from set B={3,6,12,15} would be divisible by 3. with combination method we can find how many ways we can select 3 numbers from set B. 5C3 = 10 so the probability would be 10/7

2nd method is of probability: The easy would be not selecting 1 and 4 from the set.
so P(not 1 and not 4) = P (not 1) * P(not4) => (1-1/7) * (1-1/6) => 5/7

Both Answers are wrong !!
where i'm going wrong.
Thanks


Set A: {1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15}

If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without replacement, what is the probability that the sum of the three numbers is divisible by 3?

A. 3/14
B. 2/7
C. 9/14
D. 5/7
E. 11/14

How can the probability be more than 1?

Probability of an event = (# of favorable outcomes) / (total # of outcomes).

There are 5 numbers you can choose from (3, 6, 9, 12, 15) so that the sum to be divisible by 3 and there are total of 7 numbers so \(P=\frac{C^3_5}{C^3_7}=\frac{2}{7}\).

Answer: B.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Do and Die!!
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 256
Re: probability/3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2010, 10:31
ooo... i'm so dumb !! the denominator with 7C3. choosing 3 out of 7
but whats wrong with the 2nd method ?
_________________
I'm the Dumbest of All !!
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 55609
Re: probability/3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2010, 10:38
1
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 748
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 09:11
1
sum of 3 multiples of 3 is divisible by 3.
sum of 2 multiples of 3 with one non multiple of 3 will never be divisible by 3.
sum of 1 multiple of 3 with 2 non multiples is only possible if sum of two non multiples is divisible by 3.

1,3,4,6,9,12,15
1 and 4 are non multiple.

5C3 ways to select multiples of 3.

4+1 = 5 thus third possibility one multiple of 3 with 2 non multiple is not possible.

Therefor 5C3/7C3 = 2/7 ans.
_________________
Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 330
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 06:05
You can Get a multiple of 3 by adding multiples of 3 only...(Unless you have repeat numbers such as three 2's or 5 1's)

5 multiples of 3..
5C3

Total possible combinations
7C3

= 2/7
_________________
Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Location: China
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NUS '19 (II)
GPA: 3.45
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 10:11
Bunuel wrote:
shrive555 wrote:
ooo... i'm so dumb !! the denominator with 7C3. choosing 3 out of 7 but whats wrong with the 2nd method ?


I'm not sure what are doing in your second approach but using probability you can solve: 5/7*4/6*3/5=2/7.


Bunuel how about reverse probability? this is what i tried and ended up with the wrong answer: \(1-\frac{2}{7}*\frac{1}{6}*1+\frac{2}{7}*\frac{5}{6}*\frac{4}{5}= 1-\frac{5}{21}\)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 68
Re: If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 23:54
No of ways of selecting 3 numbers out of the total of 7 numbers = 7C3
5 out of the total set of 7 numbers are multiples by 3 and hence, will account to the sum being divisible by 3 = No of ways of selecting favorable outcome = 5C3

P(E) - 5C3/ 7C3 = 2/7 (B)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 423
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge
Re: If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 22:54
The required probability is (5c3/7c3). The answer comes to 2/7. Option B it is !
_________________
" The few , the fearless "
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2018
Posts: 25
Re: If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 10:00
Bunuel wrote:
shrive555 wrote:
Set A: {1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15}

If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without replacement, what is the probability that the sum of the three numbers is divisible by 3?

The sum of any three number from set B={3,6,12,15} would be divisible by 3. with combination method we can find how many ways we can select 3 numbers from set B. 5C3 = 10 so the probability would be 10/7

2nd method is of probability: The easy would be not selecting 1 and 4 from the set.
so P(not 1 and not 4) = P (not 1) * P(not4) => (1-1/7) * (1-1/6) => 5/7

Both Answers are wrong !!
where i'm going wrong.
Thanks


Set A: {1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15}

If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without replacement, what is the probability that the sum of the three numbers is divisible by 3?

A. 3/14
B. 2/7
C. 9/14
D. 5/7
E. 11/14

How can the probability be more than 1?

Probability of an event = (# of favorable outcomes) / (total # of outcomes).

There are 5 numbers you can choose from (3, 6, 9, 12, 15) so that the sum to be divisible by 3 and there are total of 7 numbers so \(P=\frac{C^3_5}{C^3_7}=\frac{2}{7}\).

Answer: B.


Hi Bunuel,

If we want to do another way => 1 - P(choosing 1 and 4)

then as per the number of ways to chose 1 and 4 = (1,4,3), (1,4,6), (1,4,9), (1,4,12), and (1,4,15); in short 5C1

therefore P(choosing 1 and 4) should be = 5/(7c3) = 5/35 = 1/7
and P(NOT choosing 1 and 4) should be = 1-1/7 = 6/7

What I am doing wrong?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 55609
Re: If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 10:28
1
harsh8686 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
shrive555 wrote:
Set A: {1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15}

If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without replacement, what is the probability that the sum of the three numbers is divisible by 3?

The sum of any three number from set B={3,6,12,15} would be divisible by 3. with combination method we can find how many ways we can select 3 numbers from set B. 5C3 = 10 so the probability would be 10/7

2nd method is of probability: The easy would be not selecting 1 and 4 from the set.
so P(not 1 and not 4) = P (not 1) * P(not4) => (1-1/7) * (1-1/6) => 5/7

Both Answers are wrong !!
where i'm going wrong.
Thanks


Set A: {1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15}

If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without replacement, what is the probability that the sum of the three numbers is divisible by 3?

A. 3/14
B. 2/7
C. 9/14
D. 5/7
E. 11/14

How can the probability be more than 1?

Probability of an event = (# of favorable outcomes) / (total # of outcomes).

There are 5 numbers you can choose from (3, 6, 9, 12, 15) so that the sum to be divisible by 3 and there are total of 7 numbers so \(P=\frac{C^3_5}{C^3_7}=\frac{2}{7}\).

Answer: B.


Hi Bunuel,

If we want to do another way => 1 - P(choosing 1 and 4)

then as per the number of ways to chose 1 and 4 = (1,4,3), (1,4,6), (1,4,9), (1,4,12), and (1,4,15); in short 5C1

therefore P(choosing 1 and 4) should be = 5/(7c3) = 5/35 = 1/7
and P(NOT choosing 1 and 4) should be = 1-1/7 = 6/7

What I am doing wrong?


You are missing cases there. What about: {1, 3, 6}; {1, 3, 9}; {1, 3, 12}; {1, 3, 15}; {1, 6, 9}; {1, 6, 12}; {1, 6, 15}; {1, 9, 12}; {1, 9, 15}...
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2019, 10:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If three numbers are randomly selected from set A without

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne