GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 03:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle, what is th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
If x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle, what is th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 03:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (01:00) correct 31% (01:09) wrong based on 331 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GMAT Tutor
G
Re: If x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle, what is th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 06:39
The area of the triangle is xy/2, so Statement 2 is immediately sufficient.

Statement 1 is not sufficient - if we just draw a hypotenuse of length 10√2, we can make triangles of any small area at all. For example, we might have one leg of length 0.0000001, and another of length just less than 10√2. That triangle will have a tiny area, so xy will be very small. Or this might be a 45-45-90 triangle with legs of length 10, and might have quite a large area.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
examPAL Representative
P
If x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle, what is th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 May 2019, 09:53
The Logical approach to this question will start by pointing out that since the area of a right triangle is half the product of its legs, then xy is twice the triangle's area.
Statement (1) gives us just the hypotenuse. Since the pythagorean theorem is an equation with three variables we must know the value of two of the three in order to solve it (i.e. x² + y² = 200 wouldn't give us the value of x or the value of y).
Statement (2) is just what we were looking for: xy, as mentioned above, is half the triangular area.
The correct answer is (B).

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by DavidTutorexamPAL on 27 Apr 2019, 07:40.
Last edited by DavidTutorexamPAL on 11 May 2019, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle, what is th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 08:14
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle, what is the value of xy ?

(1) The hypotenuse of the triangle is \(10\sqrt{2}\).
(2) The area of the triangular region is 50.

DS94602.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

200= x^2+y^2
insufficient
x*y= 100
sufficient
IMO B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 23:18
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
The Logical approach to this question will start by pointing out that since the area of a right triangle is half the product of its legs, then xy is twice the triangle's area.
Statement (1) gives us just the hypotenuse. Since the pythagorean theorem is an equation with three variables we must know the value of two of the three in order to solve it (i.e. x² + y² = 200 wouldn't give us neither x not y).
Statement (2) is just what we were looking for: xy, as mentioned above, is half the triangular area.

legs of a right angle triangle = two sides other than the Hypo ?

the question did not mention which side was Hypo .

So I chose C because Statement 1 gave the HYPO and confirmed that the other two sides are base and height .
and so from statement 2 , we could get va;ue of xy

Please let me know your opinion .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2019, 08:34
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle, what is the value of xy ?

(1) The hypotenuse of the triangle is \(10\sqrt{2}\).

Given: x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle
We have something like this:

Target question: What is the value of xy?

Statement 1: The hypotenuse of the triangle is \(10\sqrt{2}\).
There are infinitely-many different right triangles that meet this condition. Here are two:
Case a: x = 10 and y = 10
CHECK: If h = the hypotenuse, then we get 10² + 10² = h²
Solve: 200 = h²
So, h = √200 = 10√2
In this case, the answer to the target question is xy = (10)(10) = 100

Case b: x = √50 and y = √150
CHECK: If h = the hypotenuse, then we get (√50)² + (√150)² = h²
Solve: 200 = h²
So, h = √200 = 10√2
In this case, the answer to the target question is xy = (√50)(√150) = √7500 = 50√3

Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The area of the triangular region is 50
Area of triangle = (base)(height)/2
So, we can write: (x)(y)/2 = 50
Multiply both sides by 2 to get: xy = 100
So, the answer to the target question is xy = 100
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent
P

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2019, 09:52
m1033512 wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Statement (1) gives us just the hypotenuse. Since the pythagorean theorem is an equation with three variables we must know the value of two of the three in order to solve it (i.e. x² + y² = 200 wouldn't give us neither x not y).

So I chose C because Statement 1 gave the HYPO and confirmed that the other two sides are base and height .

Hey m1033512,
Yes, a right-angle triangle has 3 sides: two 'legs', which form an angle of 90 degrees between them, and one hypotenuse.
So in the equation a^2 + b^2 = c^2 'a' and 'b' are the legs whereas 'c' is the hypotenuse.
It isn't necessary to think of a 'base' and 'height' of a right-angle triangle because it doesn't really matter which is which: both legs can be either the base or the height.

Best,
David
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2019, 14:32
Hi All,

We're told that X and Y are the lengths of the legs of a RIGHT triangle. We're asked for the value of (X)(Y). This question can be solved with a mix of Geometry rules and TESTing VALUES.

(1) The hypotenuse of the triangle is 10√2.

With the information in Fact 1 - and the Pythagorean Theorem - we can create the following equation:

X^2 + Y^2 = (10√2)^2
X^2 + Y^2 = 200

Since this one equation has two variables, it's likely that there are LOTS of different possible values for X and Y - and as a result, there are probably lots of different values for (X)(Y). Here are two examples:

IF....
X=10 and Y= 10, then the answer to the question is (10)(10) = 100
X = 9 and Y = √119, then the answer to the question is 9√119
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

With the information in Fact 2 - and the area formula - we can create the following equation:

Area = (1/2)(Base)(Height)
50 = (1/2)(X)(Y)
100 = (X)(Y)
This is the exact answer to the question that is asked. Since there's only one possible answer here, there's no more work needed.
Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 14:02
m1033512 wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:

made the same mistake... i thought any of the two sides can be the legs
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle, what is th   [#permalink] 14 May 2019, 14:02

If x and y are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle, what is th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics