GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 06:16

R1 Decisions:

HBS Chat - Decisions will be released at Noon ET  |  UVA Darden Chat  |  YouTube Live with Cornell Johnson @11am ET

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone syste

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone syste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2010, 22:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:32) correct 51% (01:24) wrong based on 1077 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically have a less symmetric wind field.

A. with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically have

B. with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically has

C. with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone located farther from the center of maximum winds, and typically have

D. to tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically have

E. to tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically has
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone syste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 08:44
In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically have a less symmetric wind field.

A. with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically have

B. with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically has

C. with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone located farther from the center of maximum winds, and typically have

D. to tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically have

E. to tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone systems have a relatively broad zone of maximum winds located farther from the center, and typically has

Manhattan GMAT Official Explanation:

When describing the similarities between unlike things, the idiom “compare to” is used. When describing the differences between like things, the idiom “compare with” is used.

In this sentence, differences between two like things, a tropical cyclone systems and subtropical cyclone systems, are discussed. Therefore, the idiom “in comparison with” is the correct choice.

(A) CORRECT. The sentence is correct as written.

(B) The singular verb “has” does not agree with the plural subject "systems.”

(C) The choice moves the phrase "located farther from the center" to a new position, which alters the meaning of the sentence. The original meaning states that the winds are located farther from the center of the storm. This sentence states that the zone is located farther from the winds, which is nonsensical.

(D) “In comparison to” is not the correct idiom to use when describing the differences between like things; the correct idiom is “in comparison with.”

(E) “In comparison to” is not the correct idiom to use when describing the differences between like things; the correct idiom is “in comparison with.” The singular verb “has” does not agree with the plural subject "systems.”

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone syste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2015, 21:12
'Compared with' is recommended to compare similar things such as the comparison we have here...
'Compared to' is better used for comparing completely different items as "life to train ride"
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone syste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 10:33
abarasia wrote:
'Compared with' is recommended to compare similar things such as the comparison we have here...
'Compared to' is better used for comparing completely different items as "life to train ride"

WITH - for comparing differences.
TO - for comparing similarities.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2015, 00:34
daagh wrote:
Quote:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/when-to-use-compared-with-and-compared-to-t2071.html

hi -

we've done some research on this topic, and we have actually reversed our position from that in the earlier editions of the strategy guides.

from this point onward, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT DISTINGUISHING BETWEEN "COMPARE TO" AND "COMPARE WITH".
we have reviewed the many official problems available to us, and this distinction has never been the basis for ANY elimination.

there are many, many problems in which the choices contain both "compare to" and "compare with", but none of them require any solid distinction between the two.

RonPurewal

This quoted note is from MGMAT as far back as 2009. As such, this topic stands on a trivial and unproven distinction. May be this is a MGMAT topic but since the originator himself has retracted it, we should close the thread calling it no more valid.

Maybe this would help:

Compare to and compare with are both correct usages, but they have slightly different meanings. What you intend to say will determine which you should use.

Compare with = "to place side by side, noting the differences and similarities between."
Compare to = "to observe or point only to likenesses between."

Garner's Modern Americn Usage (3rd edition, 2009, Oxford University Press) offers these examples to illustrate the difference:

"Let us compare his goals with his actual achievements."
"He compared her eyes to limpid pools."

In comparison with and in comparison to have a similar difference in meaning.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 22:18
Hi debbiem,

refer your Pm on compared to vs compared with..
As given above too, Compared with is to give differences in similar things
India's GDP as compared with that of the US is.....

and compared to is to give similarities in different items..
The author compared her to a rose..

However, at many occasions in formal english, both are interchangeable..
and so, you are not likely that a choice is eliminated JUST on this issue...
You will have to look at other issues to eliminate a choice..

It is similar to which /that..
GMAT will never eliminate a choice on this issue alone although it will use the two - essential with THAT and non-essential with WHICH

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q51 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 00:02
Left A and C.

I cannot find the logical fallacy in A, although the prep phrase "of maximum winds" are placed differently.

Can anyone help on it?

Thanks,

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 02:48
zw504 wrote:
Left A and C.

I cannot find the logical fallacy in A, although the prep phrase "of maximum winds" are placed differently.

Can anyone help on it?

Thanks,

Your query is not clear. Why do you think that there could a logical fallacy in option A? It is supposed to be the OA.

Nonetheless, I can see an issue with both the options A and C. There should not be a comma before "and" since two verbs are joined using "and", not two clauses.

I play and sing.... correct.
I play, and sing..... wrong.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q51 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 05:02
sayantanc2k wrote:
zw504 wrote:
Left A and C.

Can anyone help on it?

Thanks,

Your query is not clear. Why do you think that there could a logical fallacy in option A? It is supposed to be the OA.

Nonetheless, I can see an issue with both the options A and C. There should not be a comma before "and" since two verbs are joined using "and", not two clauses.

Hi sayantanc2k,

My point is the difference between A and C. IMO the logic is reasonable in both A and C (the difference is the place of "of maximum winds").

I agreed with the "and without comma" issue as is not the key point in this question.

thanks,

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 01:37
zw504 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
zw504 wrote:
Left A and C.

Can anyone help on it?

Thanks,

Hi sayantanc2k,

My point is the difference between A and C. IMO the logic is reasonable in both A and C (the difference is the place of "of maximum winds").

I agreed with the "and without comma" issue as is not the key point in this question.

thanks,

Grammatically both the statements are correct. In option C it is not clear which zone is referred to; nonetheless without knowing the mechanism of tropical cyclones, it would not be possible to decide which of these options is correct.

The simplest way to address such cases in which there are more than one grammatically correct sentences is to stick to the original sentence (if its meaning makes sense).
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 09:34
If 'in comparison with' and 'in comparison to' are not the reason for elimination. Then, how to decide in these options.?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone syste &nbs [#permalink] 01 Aug 2018, 09:34

In comparison with tropical cyclone systems, subtropical cyclone syste

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap