GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 02:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
D
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 10:43
unflinchingSubhs wrote:
There seems to be a lot of idiom play ...With Reference/In reference ...anxiety about /anxiety that etc.
How do I get to the correct answer based on meaning and grammar .
GMATNinja

Quote:
In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit.

(A) In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that
(B) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
(D) With reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about

unflinchingSubhs I will try. The non underlined portion tells us that the tense is present tense. Simpler example: Referring to the current job trend, I express my concern for the potential candidates. Now in this case I won't say I "expressed" - Past Tense - So your tense has to remain simple present tense.
You get rid of A,B and D.

Quote:
(C) When referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety about
(E) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that

You have to pick between "Smokers, when referring to the current..." and "Smokers, referring to the current ....". Obviously the later is a proper and better usage. Usage of when seems inappropriate here and not needed too.

Hence E

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 08:05
TheNightKing wrote:
unflinchingSubhs wrote:
There seems to be a lot of idiom play ...With Reference/In reference ...anxiety about /anxiety that etc.
GMATNinja

Quote:
In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit.

(A) In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that
(B) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
(D) With reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about

unflinchingSubhs I will try. The non underlined portion tells us that the tense is present tense. Simpler example: Referring to the current job trend, I express my concern for the potential candidates. Now in this case I won't say I "expressed" - Past Tense - So your tense has to remain simple present tense.
You get rid of A,B and D.

Quote:
(C) When referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety about
(E) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that

You have to pick between "Smokers, when referring to the current..." and "Smokers, referring to the current ....". Obviously the later is a proper and better usage. Usage of when seems inappropriate here and not needed too.

Hence E

Thanks to my avatar-buddy TheNightKing for the great explanation!

For more on choice (C) vs choice (E), check out this post by egmat.

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2020, 07:42

Expl. Using past tense distorts the meaning. ...smokers expressed...that...prospects are being stunted.... We dont have to emphasize that they did finish expressing anxiety sometime in the past. Especially not if they are referring to the current hostility.

Expl. Using about, the sentence becomes something like expressed...anxiety about...their prospects are being stunted.... This just does not make sense. You express anxiety about a thing, a noun. Not about a full clause. We need the keyword that to refer to a full clause/action/etc.

Expl. Same as in (B).

Expl. Same as in (B).

Expl. This version corrects both errors from A and B.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.08

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2020, 20:47
what is the difference between B & D?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2020, 08:48
theadsingh wrote:
what is the difference between B & D?

Looking at (B) and (D), we have "referring to" vs "with reference to". Is one of those wrong? Maybe, but I certainly wouldn't eliminate either based on that difference alone.

And luckily, we don't have to! Both of these options (as well as choice C) boil down to, "smokers frequently expressed anxiety about their prospects {...} are being stunted by their habit." As described in this post by daagh, that doesn't work.

• "I'm nervous about my audition." - No problem here: "I'm nervous about X."
  • "I'm nervous because I have an audition tomorrow." - All good here. We can have a clause (subject-verb pair) after "because".
  • "I'm nervous about I have an audition tomorrow." - No good. We can't have a subject-verb pair ("I have") after the preposition ("about").
  • "Smokers expressed anxiety about their prospects are being stunted." - This is wrong for the same reason.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 23:13
unflinchingSubhs wrote:
GMATNinja

I agree with you unflinchingSubhs. Therefore I would like to present my 2-cents based on grammar and meaning and the experts can chime in as well!

INCORRECT : If there is a current hostility towards smoking, how can smokers 'expressed their anxiety '? Should this expression not be in a simple present or present progressive to suggest the same?

INCORRECT: Same error as in (A)

INCORRECT: Grammar and meaning wise this is correct but the about is not a great way to complete this for idiomatic reasons as well as the fact that about is a preposition and not a relative clause modifier.(daagh Sir has also explained this very well) Also using the 'that' from the original sentence preserves its original meaning.

INCORRECT: Usage of past tense and the word about

CORRECT: The expression of the anxiety of the smokers is in present tense and logically refers to their expression towards the current hostility towards smoking. Moreover that completes the sentence as a relative clause modifier.

Hope this answers your query! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequent   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2020, 23:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics