It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the early 20th century, ivory poaching led to the near

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1009 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In the early 20th century, ivory poaching led to the near [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 08:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (01:29) correct 73% (01:56) wrong based on 325 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the early 20th century, ivory poaching led to the near extinction of the black rhino and the African elephant. As a result, numerous African nations supported a complete ban on all ivory sales that has been in effect since 1989. The governments of South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia have recently put up for auction thousands of tons of confiscated ivory horns and tusks, in spite of the continued moratorium. However, the three governments have the full support of the same conservationists who helped impose the 1989 international ban on ivory sales, because once this ivory is auctioned, the market will be flooded and poaching will be economically impractical.

The portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is support for the unexpected conclusion of the argument; the second is that conclusion.
B. The first is a truth that the argument seeks to explain; the second provides support for that explanation.
C. The first is a fact that appears contradictory to the conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
D. The first is a premise that contradicts the conclusion; the second is a premise that supports the conclusion.
E. The first is a conclusion that the argue seeks to explain; the second is a premise that supports that explanation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Last edited by broall on 06 Sep 2017, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the early 20th century, ivory poaching led to the near [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 08:15
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 139

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 19:46
I chose B. I realize how B is incorrect since the second does not provide suport to the 'explanation'. But i do not understand how C is correct.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 139

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 48

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 20:00
broall wrote:
In the early 20th century, ivory poaching led to the near extinction of the black rhino and the African elephant. As a result, numerous African nations supported a complete ban on all ivory sales that has been in effect since 1989. The governments of South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia have recently put up for auction thousands of tons of confiscated ivory horns and tusks, in spite of the continued moratorium. However, the three governments have the full support of the same conservationists who helped impose the 1989 international ban on ivory sales, because once this ivory is auctioned, the market will be flooded and poaching will be economically impractical.

The portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is support for the unexpected conclusion of the argument; the second is that conclusion.
B. The first is a truth that the argument seeks to explain; the second provides support for that explanation.
C. The first is a fact that appears contradictory to the conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
D. The first is a premise that contradicts the conclusion; the second is a premise that supports the conclusion.
E. The first is a conclusion that the argue seeks to explain; the second is a premise that supports that explanation.

Can you please explain how the second boldface is a conclusion? Had the boldface extended till 'economically impractical', then imo it would have been a conclusion.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 48

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 170

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
chetan2u
Can you please explain this one why C i feel B is a better answer.

Life is a challenge face it.

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 170

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 23:53
I choose D
Conclusion: numerous African nations supported a complete ban on all ivory sales that has been in effect since 1989

The governments of South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia have recently put up for auction thousands of tons of confiscated ivory horns and tusks --> this is a premise against the ban.
The three governments have the full support of the same conservationists who helped impose the 1989 international ban on ivory sales, because once this ivory is auctioned --> this helps to explains why this is not against the ban

only D state both premises.

anyone has OE?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 652

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 14:23
Any OE for this question? I would like to know why B is incorrect and how is "the three governments have the full support of the same conservationists who helped impose the 1989 international ban on ivory sales, because once this ivory is auctioned" the conclusion. I thought the conclusion was "numerous African nations supported a complete ban on all ivory sales that has been in effect since 1989" and "the market will be flooded and poaching will be economically impractical"

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 652

Senior CR Moderator
D

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 22:14
OE from Veritas Prep:

As in any boldface CR problem, you should first read all elements of the argument to understand it generally and then hone in on the boldfaced portions. In this argument, the first two sentences simply provide context for what follows. You learn poaching nearly led to the extinction of the rhino and elephant, and as a result numerous nations supported a ban. The first boldfaced portion then supplies an unexpected fact after learning the context before: several major African nations are selling confiscated ivory in spite of the continued moratorium. Even more surprisingly, you then learn in the second boldfaced portion that those countries have the support of the conservationists who helped impose the ban in the first place. The last part of the argument provides an explanation (i.e. a premise) for why the three governments have that support.

So initially you should realize that the first boldfaced portion is a fact and the second portion is the conclusion. By asking “Why?” to the conclusion you see that the last section following “because” is the support for the conclusion. Given this you should then dissect each answer choice:

(A) The first boldfaced portion does not support the conclusion – rather it seems to undermine it so this description is incorrect. The second boldfaced portion is indeed the conclusion but the first portion of the answer choice makes it incorrect.

(B) In this answer choice you should start with the second description, as it is clearly wrong. The second does not provide support for anything – rather it is the conclusion that is supported by what follows.

(C) Correct. The first boldfaced portion is indeed a fact that seems completely contradictory to the conclusion. If these governments are selling ivory in spite of a moratorium, then why would they have the support of the conservationists? The second is the conclusion.

(D)/(E) These answers, like (B), improperly describes the second portion as a premise so are incorrect.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 05:49

This is why I hate Kaplan. If the underlined portion were in bold, then the second portion would be the conclusion. As it stands, the second sentence is not a conclusion: the three governments have the full support of the same conservationists who helped impose the 1989 international ban on ivory sales, because once this ivory is auctioned -- Once this ivory is auctioned off, what? There is no conclusion here, just a statement of intention. The OA should be updated to B, as B it is the clear winner. B provides support for the first bold faced portion, which is a truth that needs explaining.

@Broall, do you agree or disagree?

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 128

Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 650 Q38 V37
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 13:40
In the case in which the author does not have his/her own opinion (such as the question above), how do I find the conclusion?
I usually ask myself "what is the final takeaway of the author?", but here there is no "author´s explicit voice"

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 128

Manager
Manager
G

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 16:04
giuliab3 wrote:
In the case in which the author does not have his/her own opinion (such as the question above), how do I find the conclusion?
I usually ask myself "what is the final takeaway of the author?", but here there is no "author´s explicit voice"

Thanks!

Hi giuliab3,

This is a poor question, so don't fret too much about it. But, if you are having trouble finding the conclusion, look for the following words as signal words:
Thus
Therefore
Hence
Consequently (“ly”)
As a result
So, If
Accordingly
Clearly
Must Be
Shows(is a action word) that
Conclude (is a action word) that
Follows that
For this reason

For premises:
Because
Since
For
For example
for the reason that
in that
given that
as indicated by
due to
owing to
this can be seen from
we know

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 50

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.02
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 20:56
I selected C, but I am still not so very convinced how the second BF is a conclusion as for me it just seems to be a premise, which seems to support the conclusion 'the market will be flooded and poaching will be economically impractical'

I eliminated A, B, D and E based on their first part of the answer, and was left with C.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 50

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 02:46
Although i try not to criticize the source or question type much and try learn whatever i can from each question type, i agree with nighblade354 on this one.

Not a good question.

Regards
SandySilva

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Re: In the early 20th century, ivory poaching led to the near   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2017, 02:46

In the early 20th century, ivory poaching led to the near

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap