Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:42 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
chetsa wrote:
Hi MBADecoder,

At WIPRO -
I was a database administrator.

Worked on Oracle database activities n high availability support.

was responsible to keep database environment stable.

worked on Unix scripting,database automation.

Have knowledge about Citrix n other virtualization tools such as VMware.

Have knowledge about database creation,migration n cloning activities.

Handled Backup,recovery n restoration ,n performance tuning activities.

Has experience of team management n on-site n offshore team coordination.

have taken many training sessions for freshers.

Now handling family business of Event management-

We organize events like marriage parties,corporate events,brand promotions etc.

I am responsible to make a plan of Event and execute it.

We arrange quality food,theme decorations,required celebrities etc.

Your reply is important. thank you.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816G dual sim using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Chetsa,

Focus upon the managerial aspects of your work when you write your application, because its these parts that will help you to differentiate yourself. Ofcourse with two years of work experience, you are not going to have many. Also use the essays and the resume to showcase your impact- the time when you took initiatives to make things better.

We have worked with an applicant a couple of years ago who started a salon in a metro and wrote about a grand career plan to make it national chain. She demonstrated her capability to achieve this by growing the chain to 2-3 salons already before applying. You have a story similar to hers - show a clear career vision, a real need for an MBA and back up your vision with demonstrated achievements.

Reach out if you wish to discuss further.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks MBADecoder..ur reply is valuable for me..Yes I 'll connect u soon.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816G dual sim using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.33
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hi,
Please evaluate my profile for isb...

Gmat score: 700

Work Experience: 2 years. At the time of commencement of class: 3 years

Work Profile:
1) Senior Engineer - Project Management Group – Aerospace & Defence, Larsen & Toubro Ltd
2) 1 promotion in 2 years.
3) Handling projects worth INR 16.5 crores in sales value.
4) Directly supervising a team of 5 workshop supervisors, 2 marketing and contract executives and 3 quality inspectors.
5) Handling high profile customers such as DRDO and ISRO.
6) Flagship projects include Realization of key deployment mechanisms for Chandrayaan 2 and Mangalyaan 2 missions for ISRO.
7) Experience in handling few more Confidential projects for Defence. (Cannot disclose for obvious reasons!)
8) In short, responsible for the overall project planning, estimation, monitoring and control.
9) Well versed with Enterprise Resource Planning and Product lifecycle management software.
10) L&T's online certification in Project management and operations management.
11) Awarded 1st runner up in the “Best Workplace management system” category at the annual Safety Function

Academics:
Undergrad-
1) Mechanical Engineering from Amrita University, Coimbatore (Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham)
2) GPA: 8.32 (Distinction).
3) Final year project: Application of lean principles in a manufacturing facility to improve productivity. (Increased productivity by approx. 20% without automating any activity)

Schooling-
10th- 81%
12th – 79%

ECA-
@work
1) Awarded by the company for CSR volunteering effort. Top 1% get awarded every year.
2) Have been Volunteering on weekends for the last 2 years to teach English to underprivileged kids aged between 9-15.
3) Joined Mentor me India Program to personally mentor a kid aged 10 for a year.
4) Founded the corporate football team for my division at L&T. Participated (as a Goalkeeper and team manager) in City level corporate tournaments. Quarter finalist in 2015 and semifinalist in 2016.

@college
1) Headed the Annual National Level Technical Festival 2014. Achieved sales of INR 96 lacs with a budget of INR 57 lacs. Directly supervised 18 different student committees handling various non technical departments such as Public relations, Planning, Corporate relations, Resource management, hospitality to name a few.
2) Senior Editor of College magazine. (The magazine has been awarded Best college magazine in Tamil Nadu for a record 7 consecutive times. The magazine has also received a letter of appreciation from the Hon. President of India)
3) University’s literary club Secretary.
4) Drama and Theater club event manager.
5) 1st runner up at district level Debate competition, Coimbatore.
6) 1st Runner up in the Talent Hunt Debate competition at college.
7) 2 time winner of national level Business Plan competitions during under graduation while competing with other bschool students.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vgk92 wrote:
Hi,

Hi, you have a very interesting profile. Showing your leadership skills in the application, showing your career progression and clarity in your future career plans will be super important for achieving a positive outcome.

Your GMAT is a little low, but I think you can still pull it off if the rest of your application is outstanding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: ISB '18 (I)
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi,

To start with, this forum has been extraordinarily helping all MBA aspirants and I would like to thank each one of the contributors for their selfless inputs.

Would be great if you help evaluate my profile and share your thoughts on the chances I stand to make it to the Interview call for R1 application cycle in ISB.

Here's a snapshot of my profile :-

Academics
=======
ICSE - 81%
ISC - 82%
BTEch(ECE)(West Bengal University Of Technology) - 80%

Professional Life
==========
Total Work Ex - 6 years
Currently employed with Oracle in the Support Team
Leading a team of 4
Have worked 12 months out of UK at The Body Shop International Headquarters as a single point of contact for Business Intelligence Consultant(Infosys) and led the support and maintenance track for BI with three resources offshore.

Other highlights
===========
Have been the school captain for a year (St. Xavier's Institution)
Have had experience in penning plays and staging them in school
Have been a participant in TVS Sa Re Ga Ma Pa(2005)
Have been an Indian Idol participant
Have been onscreen in a regional singing event (Bengali)
Heading the Oracle Music Club Hyderabad(Current Strength of 30 heads)
Core Committee member of the Employee Club, Hyderabad, Oracle
Have had the pleasure of conceptualizing and implementing a gifting solution with my wife (google 'UphaarOccasionAnusaar')
Regular compere in all Oracle events
Member of Oracle Hyderabad Toastmasters Club

My questions are:-

1. With the profile that I have what kind of a GMAT score should I be looking at if I want to make it through ISB?
2. I am planning to take my GMAT exam the last week of August/first week of September. I am keeping a month for the essays and the application process. Would that be too late(given that I am eyeing ISB R1 cycle)?

Would be really great to know where I stand in the process.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Arko
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

To start with, this forum has been extraordinarily helping all MBA aspirants and I would like to thank each one of the contributors for their selfless inputs.

Would be great if you help evaluate my profile and share your thoughts on the chances I stand to make it to the Interview call for R1 application cycle in ISB.

Academics
=======
ICSE - 81%
ISC - 82%

Professional Life
==========
Total Work Ex - 6 years
Leading a team of 4
Have worked 12 months out of UK at The Body Shop International Headquarters as a single point of contact for Business Intelligence Consultant(Infosys) and led the support and maintenance track for BI with three resources offshore.

Other highlights
===========
Have been the Cultural Secretary in College.
Have had the pleasure of conceptualizing and implementing a gifting solution with my wife (google 'UphaarOccasionAnusaar')

1. With the profile that I have what kind of a GMAT score should I be looking at if I want to make it through ISB?
2. I am planning to take my GMAT exam the last week of August/first week of September. I am keeping a month for the essays and the application process. Would that be too late(given that I am eyeing ISB R1 cycle)?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Arko
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I'm contemplating applying for a PhD in marketing/consumer behavior but not sure my profile is strong enough. Undergrad school was Washington University in St. Louis (top 20) and GPA was 3.2 - environmental science major. Have MBA from Willamette University with GPA of 3.8. I'm 38 and have 16 years of work experience in a few different industries - government, higher education, environmental engineering, and tech. 580 on GMAT. Thanks in advance for your response!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hello Arkadip,

Seems like you have good work experience, especially the international experience in the UK will further help you.

ISB also likes candidates with strong extracurriculars, so I'm curious how far did you go in Sa Re Ga Ma Pa and Indian Idol? You can highlight this aspect in your optional essay.

To answer your questions:

I'd say 700+ would be very helpful. The competition is very tough, so higher you can get better it will be for you.

Your timeline looks fine. Four-five weeks should be more than enough for the application. To use your time more effectively, read our guidance here

If you want to talk more or need help with your application, feel free to email me at mail@vibranture.com

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Many thanks for sharing your thoughts about my profile.

The competition is tough indeed.

I qualified for the Mumbai rounds in Sa..PA and faced the trio in Indian Idol in Mumbai :)
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ArkadipSengupta@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

Academics
=======
ICSE - 81%
ISC - 82%

Professional Life
==========
Total Work Ex - 6 years
Leading a team of 4

Other highlights
===========
Have been the Cultural Secretary in College.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Arko

Hi Arko

You have a pretty strong profile there - congratulations. Even a score of around 680 can help you to make it, provided you do your apps well. The caveat here is that you are an IT applicant (though your international experience and ECA definitely help differentiate you), so clarity in career goals and differentiation become very important for you.

On your GMAT date, while end of Aug may work, try and see if you can move it to earlier. You should keep some time aside for the eventuality that your GMAT score does not end up being close to your target and you need to retake.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with further questions as needed.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
craigurai wrote:
I'm contemplating applying for a PhD in marketing/consumer behavior but not sure my profile is strong enough. Undergrad school was Washington University in St. Louis (top 20) and GPA was 3.2 - environmental science major. Have MBA from Willamette University with GPA of 3.8. I'm 38 and have 16 years of work experience in a few different industries - government, higher education, environmental engineering, and tech. 580 on GMAT. Thanks in advance for your response!

craigurai,

Your GMAT score is not very competitive for a PhD in Management, assuming you are looking at top schools. The rest of your profile looks decent, assuming all your experience is related to marketing. Not sure of how much research experience you have, but your extensive work-ex, will certainly help compensate for that.

Try to raise your GMAT to 650+ at least (if not 700+) to have a shot at top PhD in Management programs (including the ISB FPM).
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
vgk92 wrote:
Hi,

Work Profile:
1) Senior Engineer - Project Management Group – Aerospace & Defence, Larsen & Toubro Ltd
2) 1 promotion in 2 years.
3) Handling projects worth INR 16.5 crores in sales value.
4) Directly supervising a team of 5 workshop supervisors, 2 marketing and contract executives and 3 quality inspectors.
5) Handling high profile customers such as DRDO and ISRO.
6) Flagship projects include Realization of key deployment mechanisms for Chandrayaan 2 and Mangalyaan 2 missions for ISRO.
7) Experience in handling few more Confidential projects for Defence. (Cannot disclose for obvious reasons!)
8) In short, responsible for the overall project planning, estimation, monitoring and control.
9) Well versed with Enterprise Resource Planning and Product lifecycle management software.
10) L&T's online certification in Project management and operations management.
11) Awarded 1st runner up in the “Best Workplace management system” category at the annual Safety Function

Academics:
Undergrad-
1) Mechanical Engineering from Amrita University, Coimbatore (Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham)
2) GPA: 8.32 (Distinction).
3) Final year project: Application of lean principles in a manufacturing facility to improve productivity. (Increased productivity by approx. 20% without automating any activity)

Hi there,

You have good experience with L&T and the aerospace and defense space could be unique- so that's even better. However, the duration of your work experience is on the lower side and you would benefit from another year of experience. So, unless you are in a super hurry to apply this year, consider applying in 2017. :)

I also see that you are aiming, Ross, UNC - those schools also get very competitive and getting in with a GMAT of 700 might be very tough. Consider retaking it and enhancing the score by 30-40 points for these schools. OR re-think your target US schools. NUS and NTU seem more achievable.

If you want to talk more, email me at mail@vibranture.com

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.33
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Vibranture wrote:

Hi there,

You have good experience with L&T and the aerospace and defense space could be unique- so that's even better. However, the duration of your work experience is on the lower side and you would benefit from another year of experience. So, unless you are in a super hurry to apply this year, consider applying in 2017. :)

I also see that you are aiming, Ross, UNC - those schools also get very competitive and getting in with a GMAT of 700 might be very tough. Consider retaking it and enhancing the score by 30-40 points for these schools. OR re-think your target US schools. NUS and NTU seem more achievable.

If you want to talk more, email me at mail@vibranture.com

Good luck![/quote]

Thank you for the advice. I am planning to give GMAT again next month. Hopefully, i will cross 720 mark this time.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi,

Could you please evaluate my profile and suggested the GMAT score I should target. I am looking for isb IIM INSEAD.
X : 60
XII: 54
Diploma in hotel management from IHM PUSA with 60
BITM from Utkal University with 68

I have around 15 year of work experience this includes 4 year's in hospitality industry as chef. I have 11 years of IT experience in various organizations and at different roles.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
akhilgaur wrote:
Hi,

Could you please evaluate my profile and suggested the GMAT score I should target. I am looking for isb IIM INSEAD.
X : 60
XII: 54
Diploma in hotel management from IHM PUSA with 60
BITM from Utkal University with 68

I have around 15 year of work experience this includes 4 year's in hospitality industry as chef. I have 11 years of IT experience in various organizations and at different roles.

Akhil,

You bring in considerable experience. Ideally at 15 yrs of experience we would not recommend PGP from ISB. You should target PGPMAX instead. PGPMAX will make way for a Sr mgmt role and you will be able to leverage your work ex. With PGP even if you get in, you may be at a disadvantage at the time of campus placements.

PGPMAX doesnt need GMAT.

INSEAD might also not favour 15 yrs of experience. Their mid 80% range of work ex goes to 100 months and yours will be 180+.

Let me know if you want to have a telephonic conversation. Feel free to contact us.

Apphelp Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.11
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello, please evaluate my profile and let me know how it shapes up for an ISB application. Thanks!

10th: 92.6%
12th: 89.6%
Graduation: 7.78 CGPA
Qualification: B.Tech. , Computer Engg from NIT Jaipur
Work-experience: 4 years by July '17. Worked in tech consulting role at Deloitte and currently working at Microsoft with similar work profile.
GMAT: 680
Other relevant experiences: Student Placement Coordinator experience during college, and plenty of other hobby-pursuing addenda to mention and talk about.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ramblersm wrote:
Hello, please evaluate my profile and let me know how it shapes up for an ISB application. Thanks!

10th: 92.6%
12th: 89.6%
Graduation: 7.78 CGPA
Qualification: B.Tech. , Computer Engg from NIT Jaipur
Work-experience: 4 years by July '17. Worked in tech consulting role at Deloitte and currently working at Microsoft with similar work profile.
GMAT: 680
Other relevant experiences: Student Placement Coordinator experience during college, and plenty of other hobby-pursuing addenda to mention and talk about.

Hi,

Your work ex looks good. Both Deloitte and MS are great brand and consulting role may differentiate you from regular devs. GMAT score is bit average. Is there a possibility to retake GMAT and improve the score to 710 or so

Apphelp Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  307