Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:46 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi Neha,
This is my analysis:

Positives:
Unconventional background (IP)
Gender (ISB is trying hard to improve % of women)
GMAT? (I assume you'll score well since you've more time in hand)

Negatives:
Gap in unemployment raises big questions. Your gap will be more than a year if you're targeting Co '19. To me this can be a deal breaker.
Average acads (ISB do care about it)
I assume you're not from IIT since you haven't mentioned.
Since you worked in IP you may not have leadership experiences (just a guess). If so that'll be another -ve.

My comments: Are you really sure you want an MBA? I live in Singapore and I have myself studied IP at NUS. In my opinion IP is a better career opportunity and you should seriously consider growing in the IP domain rather than moving into management side through an MBA.

Feel free to PM me in case you wish to have a detailed discussion around your profile :-D

Cheers,
Rohit

neha19 wrote:
Hi,

I completed my Btech in 2011 from mechanical engineering domain. I was working with a research firm Evalueserve in the Intellectual Property domain from Dec 2012 to July 2016. I was involved in patent drafting in the firm for our US clients. My credentials are:
10th - 80.6 %
12th - 74 %
Graduation - 66.5 %

I have not been working since July 2016. Does this gap of 7-8 months hurt my chances of getting into ISB? Further please evaluate my profile. I am planning to apply for class of 2019.

Thanks!
N
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey,
I am a 2019 ISB aspirant.
A brief about my profile-
GMAT score- 700
10th-84%
12th-87%
BE (Mechatronics engineering from Manipal Institute of Technology)- 84%
Work experience- 3 years( by the time I apply)

Job description- Schneider Electric R&D. I started as a product design engineer (Electro-mechanical), then Product Design lead and next month I am moving to a role of Deputy Project Manager.

Is 700 a good enough score considering 3 years of work experience ? Or is there a possibility of rejection based on just the above mentioned factors?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Shristi Tilak wrote:
Hey,
GMAT score- 700
10th-84%
12th-87%

Job description- Schneider Electric R&D. I started as a product design engineer (Electro-mechanical), then Product Design lead and next month I am moving to a role of Deputy Project Manager.

Is 700 a good enough score considering 3 years of work experience ? Or is there a possibility of rejection based on just the above mentioned factors?

Hi Shristi

- A 700 should be decent enough, but if you can raise your score, do so. At the moment, you do have some time before ISB's app for next year opens up. A higher score may also help put you into better contention with other schools you apply to.
- Your academics are quite good and your career progression seems excellent for someone with just 3 years of experience (a Deputy PM role is great in such a short duration). Manipal is a well-known school as well. Schneider is a recognized and valued employer (and a recruiter at ISB too) so that will help as well.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
neha19 wrote:
Hi,

I completed my Btech in 2011 in mechanical engineering domain. I was working with a research firm Evalueserve in the Intellectual Property domain from Dec 2012 to July 2016. I was involved in patent drafting in the firm for our US clients. My credentials are:
10th - 80.6 %
12th - 74 %
Graduation - 66.5 %

I have not been working since July 2016. Does this gap of 7-8 months hurt my chances of getting into ISB? Further please evaluate my profile. I am planning to apply for class of 2019.

Thanks!
N

Hi Neha

Please report your GMAT score as well.

- Your academics are not outstanding, so a strong (700+) GMAT score will be important.
- A 7-8 month career gap is not a positive. You should try and get back to a job and should ideally be employed at the time of application. You do have some time to do so as the ISB application for Co2019 will have its first deadline in October 2017.
- It will also be important for you to explain the career gap - what were the reasons and were they based on your own choices (e.g. career break/looking for a career change and don't want to settle) or circumstances beyond your control (e.g. health reasons).

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Srishti,
Glad you're considering ISB. I'm an MITian as well :-D :-D

I think Gyanone has pretty much covered all points. Try to improve your GMAT score since you have time on hand. Also, if you're already involved in some extracurriculars, try to be more active there and build up your profile. Since you r in a project manager role, also consider doing a PMP before you apply.

Hope it helps.

Feel free to PM me to have a candid discussion. Always happy to help my fellow MITians :lol:

Shristi Tilak wrote:
Hey,
GMAT score- 700
10th-84%
12th-87%

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi

Please evaluate my profile:

academics: Bachelors in Hotel Management - 2011- 77% from one of the oldest hotel schools of India, IHM Pusa, Delhi

Experience:
Selected as a Management trainee with one of the leading hotel chains of India.
Worked at different Managerial Positions from 2011 - present across multiple locations in India (Mumbai, Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata)
At present sole responsible for an average of 30cr. of revenue from my unit for the year.

Also have started a creative design company (completely different from my field) which has a profit of 5 lacs last year
Working on another start up, an app for night clubs/bars/pubs

Extra Curricular:
Have been quite actively pursuing cooking as my hobby and have got a blog recently with about 450 followers

GMAT Score: 650

Looking for MBA options in India / Europe

* The only reason I refrain from European Schools is, the placement prospects as I would be taking education loan, need to look at R.O.I.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Class 10th - 73%
Class 12th - 84%
B.Tech CGPA - 8.76 (Electronics Engg, NIT)
GMAT - 710 (Q50, V36, AWA - 5, IR - 6) – 4 attempts

ISB Application Status 2017 – Rejected (Received interview call)

Work Ex – Analytics – 4 Years 8 months till Mar’17 (Curr Employer – 100 people analytics and research firm for ~3 Years now, Prev Employer - Mu Sigma – ~2 Years)

Clients – Pharmaceutical Companies (Healthcare)

Current Designation – Manager (Leading a 3 member team)

Work Achievements – 2 promotions in current firm, 2 awards in current firm and 2 awards in previous firm

Extra Curricular:-
Co-founded a group to address sanitation crisis during college days – Couldn’t continue the work post college
Pro Bono consulting projects for NGO (In education sector)
Teaching Volunteer NGO during 2015 – 16 academic year

Short Term Goal – Join healthcare e-commerce firm

My Questions:-
Should I re-take GMAT?
How can I create a delta to show significant improvements in my profile w.r.t. previous application?
Any other points to improve my profile?

Many Thanks,
Manoj
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think you've a pretty descent profile. To answer "How can I create a delta to show significant improvements in my profile w.r.t. previous application?" I would ask you to do a ding analysis and try understand why you were dinged this year.

You have had good professional growth, you have good leadership experiences (both at work and outside workplace) and you well fit in the ISB class (GMAT, age, work ex. etc.). Even GMAT at 710 is not a deal breaker. Only thing that looks doubtful to me is your post-MBA goal. I'm not really sure what you mean by "healthcare e-commerce". I'm sure you must have explained things better in your application but with the info you have provided I see no reason why you were rejected this year. Here, I'm assuming that you wrote good essays and you performed descent in your interviews.

So, first thing you should do is understand what went wrong this time. Once you have that analysis, next steps will be obvious :-D

Does it help?

Bringiton2015 wrote:
Class 10th - 73%
Class 12th - 84%
B.Tech CGPA - 8.76 (Electronics Engg, NIT)
GMAT - 710 (Q50, V36, AWA - 5, IR - 6) – 4 attempts

ISB Application Status 2017 – Rejected (Received interview call)

Work Ex – Analytics – 4 Years 8 months till Mar’17 (Curr Employer – 100 people analytics and research firm for ~3 Years now, Prev Employer - Mu Sigma – ~2 Years)

Clients – Pharmaceutical Companies (Healthcare)

Current Designation – Manager (Leading a 3 member team)

Work Achievements – 2 promotions in current firm, 2 awards in current firm and 2 awards in previous firm

Extra Curricular:-
Co-founded a group to address sanitation crisis during college days – Couldn’t continue the work post college
Pro Bono consulting projects for NGO (In education sector)
Teaching Volunteer NGO during 2015 – 16 academic year

Short Term Goal – Join healthcare e-commerce firm

My Questions:-
Should I re-take GMAT?
How can I create a delta to show significant improvements in my profile w.r.t. previous application?
Any other points to improve my profile?

Many Thanks,
Manoj
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
Viplav Shrivastava wrote:
Hi

academics: Bachelors in Hotel Management - 2011- 77% from one of the oldest hotel schools of India, IHM Pusa, Delhi

Experience:
Selected as a Management trainee with one of the leading hotel chains of India.
Worked at different Managerial Positions from 2011 - present across multiple locations in India (Mumbai, Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata)
At present sole responsible for an average of 30cr. of revenue from my unit for the year.

Also have started a creative design company (completely different from my field) which has a profit of 5 lacs last year
Working on another start up, an app for night clubs/bars/pubs

Extra Curricular:
Have been quite actively pursuing cooking as my hobby and have got a blog recently with about 450 followers

GMAT Score: 650

Looking for MBA options in India / Europe

* The only reason I refrain from European Schools is, the placement prospects as I would be taking education loan, need to look at R.O.I.

Hi Viplav,

You have a good profile and should bring the diversity that every b-school seeks in its applicants. I'd ask you to think about retaking the GMAT. You don't belong to the engineer's category, who are taught to develop analytical/ quantitative skills. So your GMAT of 650 is likely to be considered as too less, specifically if any one of your Quant/ verbal scores is low.
Also, do state the need for an MBA. What are your career goals and why is an MBA important for achieving them?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
GMAT Score - 720.

1.Graduation - BE Civil engineering from PEC university of Technology,Chandigarh.
( CGPA : 6.1/10 )

2.Work experience of 2 years approx. in Construction industry.

2. " 13 years + professional sportsperson in Table tennis.
I Have Won Gold ,Silver and Bronze medals at National levels.And Also ranked in top 10 players of the country ".

3. I was " President of Rotaract Club "( University Chapter ) and lead the team of more than 30 students.

4. Volunteer for 4 years in National Service Scheme (NSS)-University Chapter.

6. Worked for 6 months as Trainee engineer in Larson & Toubro Ltd. on project " Construction of Chandigarh International Airport "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please evaluate my profile for ISB 2017 - R1 ?

Thanks !!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1994 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Hi

10th - 85%
12th - 78%
B.E. Mechanical from NIT Raipur - 69%
M.Tech from VJTI - 7.5
Professional experience - Working in an Engineering Consultancy firm since 9 years.
GMAT - yet to appear.
Social work - have worked with NGO recently
Extracurricular activities - Take part in sports, quiz and other activities in the company.
Want to do an MBA as it will offer me more opportunities to grow in career, as I already have been in technical field for quite sometime now.

Do I stand a chance for admission. If yes what should be target score in GMAT ? I want to apply this year.
Also, give your suggestions, if any.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1994 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Hi

10th - 85%
12th - 78%
M.Tech from VJTI - 7.5
Professional experience - Working in an Engineering Consultancy firm since 9 years.
GMAT - yet to appear.
Extracurricular activities - Take part in sports, quiz and other activities in the company.
Want to do an MBA as it will offer me more opportunities to grow in career, as I already have been in technical field for quite sometime now.

Do I stand a chance for admission. If yes what should be target score in GMAT ? I want to apply this year.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
souvonik2k wrote:
Hi

10th - 85%
12th - 78%
M.Tech from VJTI - 7.5
GMAT - yet to appear.

Hi souvonik2k,

- At 9 years, your work experience quantum is quite high, though still within the range of consideration for ISB. You will need to be very clear in terms of how an MBA can help you progress at this stage of your career. It will need to be deeper than just moving away from the technical side of things.
- You should be targeting a GMAT score of 680+, and if possible, 700+
- Your ECA is ok, but the NGO experience is recent, and the other activities will be limited in terms of the credit they can get you. A strong GMAT score becomes more important in that case.

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hi souvonik2k,

- At 9 years, your work experience quantum is quite high, though still within the range of consideration for ISB. You will need to be very clear in terms of how an MBA can help you progress at this stage of your career. It will need to be deeper than just moving away from the technical side of things.
- You should be targeting a GMAT score of 680+, and if possible, 700+
- Your ECA is ok, but the NGO experience is recent, and the other activities will be limited in terms of the credit they can get you. A strong GMAT score becomes more important in that case.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,

Please review my profile. I am targeting to get admissions into ISB in 2018. PFB my details: -

10th - 68% CBSE
12th - 79% CBSE
Graduation - German language from Delhi Univeristy
Work ex- current work ex of 4.5 years in Oracle as language analyst

Not much extra curriculars.

What minimum score should I target to get a PI call?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,

Please review my profile. I am ISB 2018 aspirant. PFB my details: -

10th - 68% CBSE
12th - 79% CBSE
Graduation - German language from Delhi Univeristy
Work ex- current work ex of 4.5 years in Oracle as language analyst

Not much extra curricular.

What minimum score should I target to get a PI call?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM