Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:19 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Schools: ISB '25 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V35
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi Everyone,

Please help evaluate my profile.

Age/Gender/Nationality: 28 yr Male, Indian

GMAT Score: 710 [Quant:51 , Verbal:35, I.R.:3 , AWA:5]

Total Work Experience: ~4.5 yrs till June 2023 (Investment Banking/Finance, Non Tech):
Current: July 2022 - Present: Barclays: Equity Finance (Global Markets) (offshore front office)
Prev: Jan 2020 - June 2022 - Goldman Sachs: Exotic Structured Products (Global Markets)
Prev: July 2018 - Mar 2019 - Edelweiss Finance (front office, structured derivatives products and AIFs)

CFA Level 2 candidate

Educational Qualifications:
Graduation: Completed B.E in Information Technology from Pune Institute of Computer Technology (Pune University) in 2018 with 70% (First class with distinction).
X (CBSE): 9.6 CGPA (2012)
XII (CBSE): 90% (2014)

I have in-depth understanding of derivatives trading and backtested and optimized neutral options strategies.

I like driving and have done lots of road trips.
I like going out and meeting people, watching movies & series, cooking.
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
nikhil0602 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Total Work Experience: ~4.5 yrs till June 2023 (Investment Banking/Finance, Non Tech):
Current: July 2022 - Present: Barclays: Equity Finance (Global Markets) (offshore front office)
Prev: Jan 2020 - June 2022 - Goldman Sachs: Exotic Structured Products (Global Markets)
Prev: July 2018 - Mar 2019 - Edelweiss Finance (front office, structured derivatives products and AIFs)

CFA Level 2 candidate

Graduation: Completed B.E in Information Technology from Pune Institute of Computer Technology (Pune University) in 2018 with 70% (First class with distinction).

I have in-depth understanding of derivatives trading and backtested and optimized neutral options strategies.

Hi nikhil0602,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Overall a solid profile.

Acads While the graduation number seems low, ISB would take into account the usual merit scores for Pune university.
CFA L1 is a good value-add here. However, would suggest completing at least L2 before you start your MBA journey. During and post that, it gets really difficult :)

GMAT Close to ISB's average and would be good enough for this profile. However, if you feel it's not your best shot, then another 10-20 points would put you in the next bracket in terms of GMAT. Also, don't worry about the IR score as ISB doesn't consider it as part of their evaluation.

Work-ex could you add a bit more color on the role? While the terms and front-office sounds great (at Edelweiss), couldn't understand what 'offshore front office' . Also, are you creating those products, tracking them, selling them? Would love to have a chat on going deeper into it.

Extra-curricular Need more information here. What you've listed are hobbies.

Goals Could you please share your post-MBA goals? Few options could be core investment banking (Indian market), FP&A, Corporate Finance or transition out to consulting (focus would still be financial services).

Happy to have a detailed chat once you share more color on your work-ex, goals and extra-curricular. Feel free to reach out via http://www.strategy4gmat.com to setup a free profile evaluation.

Cheers,
Manan
Co-founder, S4G | ISB Class of 2013
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mananpuri/

Check-out our success stories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6GXVmU ... z2DNd9eSgi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hey,

This is the detailed outlook of my profile as someone suggested.These are just some points and I will frame them in a story.

Main question - Should I apply this year or get more workex as I am due promotion in 6 months.(High Preference to go to a good bschool this year, preparing for cat too). I have avg acads , avg Extracurriculars, is it worth investing the next 2 months to prepare for gmat and the application for isb or should i focus to prepare for cat where many colleges have cat score as the deciding factor.

GMAT : Will give 2 attempts in 2 months (aiming for 730 plus)

Graduation: Completed Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics with 7 CGPA.
H.S.C: 9.2 CGPA
S.S.C: 83.8 %

Languages - eng, hindi, french (elementary)

Work Experience:

Working in Data analytics domain in a reputed MNC for 23 months now, Will have 32 months till march 2024.
Awarded best performer here for automating manual reports to enhance efficiency and save time
I am handling an interface ,coordinating with both national and international clients for the same. Also handling a team of 3 members under me.

Certfications and Courses
Management Consultancy from Coursera
Several courses on SQL, MS Excel, Tableau, Data Analysis
Intermediate chess from Anish Giri

Extra Curricular:
1600 rated in chess.com, won online tournaments of my level and currently top 2 percentile the world on the platform. Also won 2nd position in Inter school competition at City level in 2015.
Actively participated in few sports competitions like table tennis and cricket in ug college.
Was in Institution of Electronics And Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) society in college and coordinated to organise an event of Buggy(Robotic Car) Racing.

Career Goals
To get into a management or IT consultancy firm after mba.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
nikhil0602 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

CFA Level 2 candidate

Very decent profile nikhil0602. ISB does not take IR into considertion.

Focus on articulating the essays well and pay emphasis on your goals.
--
Ashish.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MananS4G wrote:
nikhil0602 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Total Work Experience: ~4.5 yrs till June 2023 (Investment Banking/Finance, Non-Tech):
Prev: July 2018 - Mar 2019 - Edelweiss Finance (front office, structured derivatives products, and AIFs)

CFA Level 2 candidate

I have an in-depth understanding of derivatives trading and backtested and optimized neutral options strategies.

I like going out and meeting people, watching movies & series, and cooking.

Hi nikhil0602,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Overall a solid profile.

Acads While the graduation number seems low, ISB would consider the usual merit scores for Pune University.
CFA L1 is a good value-add here. However, would suggest completing at least L2 before you start your MBA journey. During and post that, it gets really difficult :)

GMAT Close to ISB's average and would be good enough for this profile. However, if you feel it's not your best shot, then another 10-20 points would put you in the next bracket in terms of GMAT. Also, don't worry about the IR score as ISB doesn't consider it as part of their evaluation.

Work-ex could you add a bit more color on the role? While the terms and front-office sounds great (at Edelweiss), couldn't understand what 'offshore front office' . Also, are you creating those products, tracking them, selling them? Would love to have a chat on going deeper into it.

Extra-curricular Need more information here. What you've listed are hobbies.

Goals Could you please share your post-MBA goals? Few options could be core investment banking (Indian market), FP&A, Corporate Finance or transition out to consulting (focus would still be financial services).

Happy to have a detailed chat once you share more color on your work-ex, goals and extra-curricular. Feel free to reach out via http://www.strategy4gmat.com to setup a free profile evaluation.

Cheers,
Manan
Co-founder, S4G | ISB Class of 2013
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mananpuri/

Check-out our success stories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6GXVmU ... z2DNd9eSgi

Hi Manan,

First of all, thank you for evaluating my profile.

So let me start with my work ex
At Edelweiss, I was into sales. I was working in Private Wealth Advisory and managed HNI clients. The products that we used to sell were Structured Products, Alternative Investment Funds, ESOP loans.

At Goldman Sachs, I was looking at Exotic Structured Products. The role was to analyze those products. By analyses, I meant if the product has all the payoff that it is supposed to have. Since these are very complex products so we used to have different systems to book these. The team has the expertise to know these systems in-depth so that we can figure out if that particular system can handle those products or not. Finally, we need to make sure that the bookings are done based on what the product says. It gave me good exposure as we were directly working with sales and trading desks overseas. I was looking at APAC and EMEA sides.

At Barclays, I am on the team which books the trades into the system. the products I look at here are Swaps (Portfolio Swaps, Cash for Difference, FX). Offshore front office means we are an extension of the Hong Kong team but based in Mumbai.

CFA Level 2 - yes, I had already appeared before but am soon planning to appear again.

Short-term goal - if I get the convert, I am planning to take an internship at a VC firm or consultancy firm (these firms do take incoming MBA graduates) so basically I would have around 3-4 months to experiment before starting with my MBA.

Post- MBA: Management Consultant, Investment Banking (M&A) or Product Management (Growth): yet to narrow down actually. I am speaking to my ex-colleagues/ friends to get more ideas.

Why MBA - The careers I am looking for actually require an MBA degree. It is difficult to apply without MBA :P. But the most imp thing is the network. Network of ambitious and smart people. It makes a hell lot of difference :). So MBA will open a lot more gates for me.

Extracurricular: not much significant actually :( but I am trying to figure out what I can put.

Thanks,
Nikhil
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ISBeacon wrote:
nikhil0602 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

CFA Level 2 candidate

Very decent profile nikhil0602. ISB does not take IR into considertion.

Focus on articulating the essays well and pay emphasis on your goals.
--
Ashish.

Thanks a lot Ashish for evaluating my profile.

Yes, planning to appear once more for Gmat with the hope to improve at least 10-20 points. Then will start with the essays. I still have time.. guess 1 to 1.5 months would be enough
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
nikhil0602 wrote:
guess 1 to 1.5 months would be enough

Most definitely sufficient Nikhil.
--
Ashish.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi nikhil0602,

Overall, a differentiated profile.

Given you are planning to focus on getting an improvement in GMAT score, it should further boost your chances. Having said, your current score should also suffice, taking into account other aspects of your profile. You might want to leverage some aspects of the work experience in your essays to project a unique experience. It would be better if you could tone down certain aspects of your work experience so that it would be easier for the reviewer to understand what you want to articulate (eg: offshore front office can be called middle office or simply an extension of HK team i.e. similar to international experience).

On the post MBA goals front, we believe tech based PM should not be your first choice. You can consider looking at 1) function-related: consulting (focused on BFSI) or 2) Industry-related: fintech based roles (strategy).
ISB has removed hobbies section and now has awards and extra-curriculars sections. So please introspect on what you could mention under extra-curriculars.

Hope this was helpful! We are a bunch of ISB alums who help potential ISB candidates with profile positioning, essay reviews and interview mocks. Feel free to book a 15 min free session for more discussion- https://calendly.com/reachusfly/15min

With warm regards,
Team Fly
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/reachusfly/

nikhil0602 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

CFA Level 2 candidate

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Fforbarca wrote:
Hey,

This is the detailed outlook of my profile as someone suggested.These are just some points and I will frame them in a story.

Main question - Should I apply this year or get more workex as I am due promotion in 6 months.(High Preference to go to a good bschool this year, preparing for cat too). I have avg acads , avg Extracurriculars, is it worth investing the next 2 months to prepare for gmat and the application for isb or should i focus to prepare for cat where many colleges have cat score as the deciding factor.

GMAT : Will give 2 attempts in 2 months (aiming for 730 plus)

Graduation: Completed Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics with 7 CGPA.
H.S.C: 9.2 CGPA
S.S.C: 83.8 %

Languages - eng, hindi, french (elementary)

Work Experience:

Working in Data analytics domain in a reputed MNC for 23 months now, Will have 32 months till march 2024.
Awarded best performer here for automating manual reports to enhance efficiency and save time
I am handling an interface ,coordinating with both national and international clients for the same. Also handling a team of 3 members under me.

Certfications and Courses
Management Consultancy from Coursera
Several courses on SQL, MS Excel, Tableau, Data Analysis
Intermediate chess from Anish Giri

Extra Curricular:
1600 rated in chess.com, won online tournaments of my level and currently top 2 percentile the world on the platform. Also won 2nd position in Inter school competition at City level in 2015.
Actively participated in few sports competitions like table tennis and cricket in ug college.
Was in Institution of Electronics And Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) society in college and coordinated to organise an event of Buggy(Robotic Car) Racing.

Career Goals
To get into a management or IT consultancy firm after mba.

Hi Fforbarca

You attempted to provide a detailed description, but it is challenging to guide you without extracting the right information. What type of data do you work on? What industry does this MNC operate in? What is the nature of its business?

Automating reports is commendable, but an MBA/pgp application or interview, especially one for young applicants to ISB, requires demonstrating a certain level of knowledge in your field. If you have 2-3 years of experience, it is important to highlight what sets you apart from similarly experienced applicants. Showcase your early promotions, industry insights, project management, crisis management exposure, and overall mature outlook. Differentiating yourself involves demonstrating depth in your subject area and breadth of experience within a short timeframe, working on various projects in your field. Understanding what B-Schools seek beyond superficial achievements and awards strengthens your profile as an MBA/PGP candidate.

The reason for planning multiple GMAT attempts is unclear. Are you attempting to bridge a significant gap from your previous performance, such as a difference of 50-100 points? Whatever approach gives you confidence, go with that

Ensure your goals are well-researched and thoughtful.

Wishing you the best of luck. Don't hesitate to reach out should you like to discuss your profile in more detail.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Coaching
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Are you the founder of your enterprise? Is the focus on D2C retail or Bulk manufacturing for Pan-Indian expansion post MBA? For a routine cold press oil store/plant, there wouldn't be much play for a large scale SCM or operations management that would impress ADCOMs. There must be 100s of such stores in every nook and corner of India already. What's your differentiation?

Not sure this makes a compelling profile, despite the GMAT, for ISB. Frankly, to grow the business, I don't think you should be blowing $55,000 for a 1 year MBA, which'll add scant value to your venture.

Invest this money in your business.

sp03ch wrote:
Hi, this is Sagar here. I am writing to request a profile evaluation for my candidacy for admission to one of the top MBA programs in India.
Target schools – ISB

Basic details:
Indian engineer male (Non-tech)
Age – 27

Academic Background:
- Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering from Pune University with a CGPA of 7.5 First-class (Last year)
- 10th and 12th standard: 87% / 62%
- GMAT Score: 750 / 98th Percentile

Why MBA:
I am pursuing an MBA to accelerate the growth of my FMCG manufacturing start-up. With my expertise in supply chain management and logistics strategy, combined with invaluable knowledge gained from top B-School like ISB, I aim to optimize operations, develop effective marketing strategies, and leverage the program's resources and professional network to foster personal growth in leadership and cultural sensitivity.

Short-term Goal:
In the short term, I intend to establish a strong PAN India presence for my FMCG manufacturing startup. By leveraging my knowledge of supply chain management and logistics strategy, I will optimize operations, implement efficient supply chain processes, and penetrate key cities and regions across India. Through strategic partnerships, targeted marketing, and a commitment to quality, I aim to gain market share and solidify my startup's position as a leading player in the Indian market.

Long-term Goal:
Looking ahead, my long-term vision is to expand globally into multinational markets. By utilizing my supply chain management and logistics strategy expertise, combined with knowledge gained from an MBA, I want to navigate the complexities of international markets. Through tailored products and strategies, collaborations with local partners, and seamless logistics operations, I envision my FMCG manufacturing startup becoming a trusted provider in multiple countries, generating sustainable growth and establishing a strong global presence.

Work Experience: (Total 4 years till Aug 2023)
- One year as a Maintenance Engineer promoted to Project Engineer for the next year, managing a team of around 25 members for managing plant maintenance, procurement, In-plant projects, equipment installation and stakeholder management.
- Almost 2 years of experience as the Managing Head at Activ24 Foods and Oils LLP, overseeing all management activities, digital marketing, end-to-end supply chain, logistics and inventory control.
- 6-month full-time internship focusing majorly on manufacturing practices, process improvement and TQM.

Language Proficiency:
- German language proficiency at B1 level.

Extra-curricular, Certifications and Additional Skills:
• Pursued Michigan State University's master-level 6-month certification in Integrated Supply Chain Management, Strategic Sourcing and Logistics Strategy, which helped to scale the business.
• Received the Rising Star Award at Aarti Industries, which acknowledged my exceptional growth and potential during my tenure. It serves as a testament to my dedication and inspires me to continue striving for excellence in my future endeavours.
• Short-term courses in Supply Chain Analytics, Business Development, Digital Marketing, Artificial Intelligence, Product Development, Power BI, Business Analysis, and Data-driven decision making - credible from IIM Bangalore, IIT Roorkee, Coursera, LinkedIn Learning and Career 365.
• Lean six sigma black belt certification from LinkedIn Learning
• Led the designing team in a national-level competition during bachelor's degree such as BAJA SAE® Virtual and BAJA SAE® Collegiate Design Series. It features in regional and national competitions where teams design, build, and race off-road vehicles. It tests the vehicles' performance, endurance, and design capabilities in challenging terrains.
• Had been active member of Society of Automotive Engineers for 3 years to lead various events.
• Implemented a socially impactful sustainable energy project benefiting farmers, which included manufacturing of a solar-powered vehicle for 3 in 1 farming operations like Dusting, Spraying and Grass cutting. Recognized as a top 3 college project, published a research paper, filed a patent application (unsuccessful), and positively influenced the lives of local farming communities by making more vehicles.
• Having competed at the university level in sports such as Cricket and Table Tennis, I have honed my skills and gained invaluable experience. Now, I selflessly impart my knowledge by volunteering as a coach for children, sharing everything I have learned with unwavering dedication.
• Achieved NX-CAD certification from Siemens, a pivotal design software for SAE BAJA Virtual competition.
• Secured victories in Inter-college Robo-racing and Robo-war events at Mumbai University, demonstrating excellence in robotics.
• Actively involved in quadcopter development, gaining expertise in drone-making technology.

Social Contributions:
• Volunteered for Nashik NGO, a remarkable organization dedicated to creating a positive impact on the lives of underprivileged families. Through our collective efforts, we encompassed a wide range of assistance, including essential necessities, fostering educational awareness and empowerment.
• Initiated an education support program “WeLearn” for underprivileged government school children by teaching science and maths subjects and supported them financially.

I would greatly appreciate your expert evaluation of my profile, considering the information provided above. Your insights and guidance will be invaluable as I plan my application to your esteemed MBA program.

I had a few questions in ahead of me –

1) I request for profile evaluation.
2) As I have a low GPA in undergrad and no big brand name in work experience, are the schools selected are appropriate to my profile and eligibility?

Thank you for your time and consideration. Please let me know if there are any additional materials or information, I can provide to support the evaluation process.

Best regards,
Sagar
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hey,

Please evaluate my profile for ISB:

GMAT Score: Not yet appeared [Targeting 730+]

10th: 8.8/10 GPA (CBSE)
12th: 80.5% ; Science Stream (CBSE)
Graduation: Mechanical Engg- 6.56/10 CGPA

Work Experience:
Manager - Manager in a Public Sector Bank(promoted under merit channel)
Duration - 48 Months (As on Dec 2023)

I have been handpicked by the DGM to start a new section from scratch in the Regional Office controlling 65 branches NRI business and customer support after being promoted to manager under merit channel in a PSB.
In branchs I have handled various departments, disbursed 200 plus loans, increased business by around 4 crores in GOLD LOAN dept(highest since i Joined), implemented practices to reduce TAT for disbursement of loans

Extra Curricular and Achievements
- Have won 1st and 2nd prize for dance competitions at School from X till XII
- Have continously won first and second at intercollege dance competitions for 3 years in a row
- Organised Fashion Shows, Cultural Programs during Inter College Fest in College
-Was captain of High School Football Team and part of Basketball and volleyball teams
-Was part of School Drama Team and have done participated in many events and celebrations
-cracked 4/6 all india bank entrance tests
-Secured 99th percentile in IBPS exam with an All India Rank of 240
-part of the Bank team to conduct IBPS exams
- Qualified GATE exam
-Is currently playing in Football team for PSB at State level representing Home District
-Have won Man of match awards in District League tournaments organised by bank unions
-Is part of District Committee for organising All Kerala Cultural Festival for Bank Employees
- organised State Level Inter Region Soccer Tournament
- Member of regional Bank Union committee

Hobbies:
- Is a bike enthusiast and have done over 7000 kms in Southern India and looking to cover North India too.
-Loves to play football
-Dance
-Movies

Certifications:
-JAIIB
Is planning to do LEAN SIX SIGMA CERTIFICATION from KPMG

I kindly request you to evaluate my profile so as to secure an admit from ISB or executive MBA from IIM A and B.
I do have a few queries

1) Will a 700+ gmat score cover up for my low grad cgpa

2) I want to get into Operations Role after my mba, so how would i strengthen my profile to get an admit to isb

3)Can you suggest any certifications which would help me get a better understanding about the operations profile and also help to improve my profile

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
somubarua13 wrote:
Demographics: Mumbai, India, Male, 24 yr.

Education: B.tech in Electronics and Communication, Lovely professional University( 2017 - 2021) with CGPA - 7.3
Class XII - 73.6% (MP Board, 2016-2017)
Class X - 7.3 CGPA (CBSE, 2015)

GMAT: My first attempt score is 710 (Verbal - 39, Quant - 48)

Work Experience - Total 3 yr ( 2 yr full time + 1 yr Internship)
* Started my career as Program Analyst Intern in Board Infinity(Edutech Startup) in May 2020(the final year of my B.tech).
* I worked as a program analyst for 6 months and got promoted after 6 months as associate program manager after the successful completion of multiple projects.
* In the year 2021 after a year of completion of my internship and college degree I got promoted to Category Manager, because I was a key member of the team during periods when the team was severely understaffed, always a top performer, automated lots of processes, responsible for multiple entities and for parts of the group consolidation.
* Currently, I am working as a senior category manager in Board Infinity itself as a core team member. Managing a team of 16 and handling 3-4 verticals in the organisation.
* Using advanced analytical tools and automated reports to track performance, and designing solutions that balance technical capability, cost, and time against business needs.
* Resolving escalations and maintaining a process that reduces Service Level Agreement (SLA) and Turnaround Time (TAT)
* Planning and designing end-to-end workflows for cohorts and automating repetitive tasks using Zoho CRM, optimising operations to improve overall productivity and efficiency.
* Providing consultation to 1500+ customers across various domains, solving their problems and improving their overall experience.
* Handling P&L INR 4 Crore Monthly and building B2B partnerships currently
* Spearheading corporate relations and community management efforts while also working closely with technical teams to ensure that operational requirements and product changes are communicated effectively.
* Curating high-quality content and outreach to influencers, while also managing and mentoring team members to maximize their potential and foster an environment of growth and success.

LEADERSHIP ROLES AND POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY :

Department of Youth Capital:

* Volunteered at the Department of Youth Capital, in the Division of Student Welfare, where I contributed to office management tasks.
* Successfully handled all Public Relation requirements and ensured the smooth functioning of different teams.
* Effectively managed office management tasks, including data entry, scheduling, and organising events.
* Developed strong organisational skills and attention to detail while single-handedly managing office management responsibilities.
* Collaborated with other volunteers to ensure seamless execution of events and projects.
*Headed and Conducted North India's biggest fest Youthvibe as Head of Relations.

Hi somubarua13,

Academics:
The CGPA is fine. The GMAT score will do. If you have the time and resources to retake the test, please do.

Work Experience:
There is clear progression in your roles and responsibilities. There's good scope to showcase leadership potential. In your case, it is important for you to showcase your impact and individual contributions to the organization. For instance, handling P&L responsibilities and building B2B partnerships can be used to demonstrate your business acumen.

Leadership Roles and Positions of Responsibility:
These are good and can boost the profile

Areas for Improvement:

You need to differentiate your profile and demonstrate the value you can bring to the MBA program. Think along the lines of how you can use your startup experience to showcase skills that MBA programs seek
Define your post-MBA goals clearly and list down your reasons for an MBA. This will help create compelling essays

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello Arjun1001

Your profile seems to check some of the boxes that ISB or IIMs will evaluate you on.
1. Academic Potential is average with decent past scores. If you score a 710+ GMAT, it should put you in a good position.
2. Work experience is impressive in terms of the public brand on the CV, the career progression and achievements listed (it shows great potential for story telling in the actual essays).
3. Diversity is good considering the public sector experience and the extracurricular activities. Instead of adding more certifications, the trick will be selecting the right existing activities to talk about in the essays based on recency (school university activities may not add much weight unless the achievements here are stellar), seriousness (the impact and accomplishments in these activities) and relevance (how can you use these activities to prove that you will be a worthy addition to the batch and add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom).
4. Career goals seem to be missing. Please ensure that the goals are organic and realistic. Just focus on bringing out the personal motivation behind these long term goals and how ISB is the best way to help you achieve these (be specific about the companies and roles you wish to target post MBA).
First get the GMAT out of your way and work on your career goals before you move on to weaving together a strong narrative if you want a decent shot at getting an interview invite.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com
+91-8452954888

Arjun1001 wrote:
Hey,

Work Experience:

I have been handpicked by the DGM to start a new section from scratch in the Regional Office controlling 65 branches NRI business and customer support after being promoted to manager under merit channel in a PSB.
In branchs I have handled various departments, disbursed 200 plus loans, increased business by around 4 crores in GOLD LOAN dept(highest since i Joined), implemented practices to reduce TAT for disbursement of loans

- Have continously won first and second at intercollege dance competitions for 3 years in a row
- Organised Fashion Shows, Cultural Programs during Inter College Fest in College
-Was captain of High School Football Team and part of Basketball and volleyball teams
-Was part of School Drama Team and have done participated in many events and celebrations
- Qualified GATE exam
-Is currently playing in Football team for PSB at State level representing Home District
-Have won Man of match awards in District League tournaments organised by bank unions
-Is part of District Committee for organising All Kerala Cultural Festival for Bank Employees

Hobbies:
- Is a bike enthusiast and have done over 7000 kms in Southern India and looking to cover North India too.
-Loves to play football
-Dance
-Movies

Certifications:
-JAIIB

I kindly request you to evaluate my profile so as to secure an admit from ISB or executive MBA from IIM A and B.
I do have a few queries

2) I want to get into Operations Role after my mba, so how would i strengthen my profile to get an admit to isb

3)Can you suggest any certifications which would help me get a better understanding about the operations profile and also help to improve my profile

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Arjun1001 wrote:
Hey,

Work Experience:

- Qualified GATE exam

Hobbies:
-Loves to play football
-Dance
-Movies

Certifications:
-JAIIB

I do have a few queries

Hey Arjun,

After carefully evaluating your profile, I believe aiming for a GMAT score of 700+ is a smart move to offset your lower undergraduate CGPA. But keep in mind that ISB and top executive MBA programs at IIMs take a holistic approach, considering your overall profile, work experience, and achievements. So, in order to strengthen your chances of admission into an Operations role at ISB, it's crucial to highlight your relevant work experience and showcase your accomplishments.

Your journey as a Manager in a Public Sector Bank is impressive! The fact that you were handpicked by the DGM to start a new section from scratch truly speaks volumes about your skills and potential. Make sure to emphasize how you managed various departments, implemented practices to improve loan disbursement turnaround time, and achieved remarkable results, like increasing business by around 4 crores in the GOLD LOAN department. These specific examples of your impact will capture the attention of admissions committees.

To further enhance your profile, consider pursuing certifications that will deepen your understanding of Operations. Lean Six Sigma, Supply Chain Management, and Project Management are all fantastic options. These certifications not only equip you with valuable knowledge but also demonstrate your dedication to continuous improvement. Admissions committees love to see candidates who are actively seeking growth and new skills.

Remember, your journey and the experiences you've gained along the way make you unique. So, don't forget to infuse your application essays and statements of purpose with personal anecdotes that illustrate your passion for Operations and your ability to make a difference.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
somubarua13 wrote:
Demographics: Mumbai, India, Male, 24 yr.

Education: B.tech in Electronics and Communication, Lovely professional University( 2017 - 2021) with CGPA - 7.3
Class XII - 73.6% (MP Board, 2016-2017)
Class X - 7.3 CGPA (CBSE, 2015)

GMAT: My first attempt score is 710 (Verbal - 39, Quant - 48)

Work Experience - Total 3 yr ( 2 yr full time + 1 yr Internship)
* Started my career as Program Analyst Intern in Board Infinity(Edutech Startup) in May 2020(the final year of my B.tech).
* I worked as a program analyst for 6 months and got promoted after 6 months as associate program manager after the successful completion of multiple projects.
* In the year 2021 after a year of completion of my internship and college degree I got promoted to Category Manager, because I was a key member of the team during periods when the team was severely understaffed, always a top performer, automated lots of processes, responsible for multiple entities and for parts of the group consolidation.
* Currently, I am working as a senior category manager in Board Infinity itself as a core team member. Managing a team of 16 and handling 3-4 verticals in the organisation.
* Using advanced analytical tools and automated reports to track performance, and designing solutions that balance technical capability, cost, and time against business needs.
* Resolving escalations and maintaining a process that reduces Service Level Agreement (SLA) and Turnaround Time (TAT)
* Planning and designing end-to-end workflows for cohorts and automating repetitive tasks using Zoho CRM, optimising operations to improve overall productivity and efficiency.
* Providing consultation to 1500+ customers across various domains, solving their problems and improving their overall experience.
* Handling P&L INR 4 Crore Monthly and building B2B partnerships currently
* Spearheading corporate relations and community management efforts while also working closely with technical teams to ensure that operational requirements and product changes are communicated effectively.
* Curating high-quality content and outreach to influencers, while also managing and mentoring team members to maximize their potential and foster an environment of growth and success.

LEADERSHIP ROLES AND POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY :

Department of Youth Capital:

* Volunteered at the Department of Youth Capital, in the Division of Student Welfare, where I contributed to office management tasks.
* Successfully handled all Public Relation requirements and ensured the smooth functioning of different teams.
* Effectively managed office management tasks, including data entry, scheduling, and organising events.
* Developed strong organisational skills and attention to detail while single-handedly managing office management responsibilities.
* Collaborated with other volunteers to ensure seamless execution of events and projects.
*Headed and Conducted North India's biggest fest Youthvibe as Head of Relations.

Hi somubarua13,

Thanks for sharing your details.

Your CGPA is good, though it may not be considered highly competitive for some of the top-tier MBA programs. It would be helpful to highlight any academic achievements, projects, or coursework from your undergrad that demonstrate your strengths in quantitative (math) and analytical subjects. Your GMAT score is pretty strong and balanced (quantitative and verbal). However, if possible, please retake it, as a higher score would strengthen your overall profile and also help alleviate any concerns on CGPA.

Your career progression and increasing responsibilities at Board Infinity showcase positive traits such as analytical abilities, people management and growth/ learning mindset. Highlight your achievements in your applications, framing clear stories around each of these (or more) traits mentioning the Context (of the situation), the Action (you took), the Impact/ Result (to the project/ company), and lessons you learned (how they shaped you). Also note down your thoughts on "why MBA" and "why our school". Linking your past/ current roles to your post-MBA goals, and how the MBA/ B-school would fit in will make your application compelling.

Your involvement in the Department of Youth Capital demonstrate your leadership abilities and can-do attitude. While highlighting this in your applications, also mention "why" you were involved, what skills you developed, what lessons you learned, and how you would bring these both to the B-school and your post-MBA career.

Finally, choose recommenders who can speak to your abilities, achievements, and potential. Assuming you have worked in closed-knit teams, strategically select individuals who have worked closely with you and can provide specific examples of your contributions and leadership skills.

Hope this helps, feel free to reach out if I can be of any help!

Regards,
Arvind
HEC Paris alum, Admissions interviewer
admitstreet.com
E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com | M: +(91)-974-126-3950

Originally posted by admitStreet on 30 Jun 2023, 22:46.
Last edited by admitStreet on 02 Jul 2023, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
nikhil0602 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

CFA Level 2 candidate

Hi nikhil0602, thanks for sharing your profile.

Your GMAT score is in the competitive range for ISB. However, if you can retake it, even a 10-20 point improvement would make the profile stronger, considering your comparatively lower GPA (which in itself is not a major concern in my view considering your overall profile).

The CFA is a strong differentiator, especially if you can complete the 2nd and 3rd levels. This would also help you post-MBA, especially if you're keen on IB/ Consulting roles. Companies in these sectors definitely value the CFA charter.

Your experiences at reputed brands such as GS, Barclays and Edelweiss are a plus. These highlight your analytical and interpersonal skills, working with global teams. I recommend noting down your key achievements across some key traits (e.g. analytical skills, leadership, empathy, interpersonal communication, entrepreneurship, etc.) while having quantifiable results wherever possible. This will also help you craft impactful stories in your essays.

Also have a clear answer to the "why MBA" question. One way to go about it is to list down your achievements/ experiences in your past roles along with the skills you have developed at these roles. Match these against the skill-sets needed for your post-MBA target roles (IB and Management Consulting seem natural transitions), and identify the gaps: both hard and soft skills. Then articulate clearly why/ how ISB is best placed to help you make that transition, while highlighting what you would bring to the classroom, i.e. win-win situation.

Bringing more color to your interests (e.g. road trips, cooking, etc.) can add in the extra-curricular dimension. The goal is to show your well-rounded personality that brings to life your application and gives the reader comfort that this "person" is interesting and can belong in the cohort.

Good luck! Feel free to reach out if I can be of help :)

Regards,
Arvind
admitstreet.com
Director
Director
Send PM
Arjun1001 wrote:
Hey,

Work Experience:

- Qualified GATE exam

Hobbies:
-Loves to play football
-Dance
-Movies

Certifications:
-JAIIB

I do have a few queries

Hi Arjun1001

GMAT 700+ (ideally 720+) is a good target score, which can help offset the low undergraduate CGPA. I would also suggest highlighting in your application specific undergrad courses/ electives that showcase your quantitative abilities.

To strengthen your profile for an Operations role, firstly focus on which domains/ sectors within operations excite you the most (and "why"). Having post-MBA target companies/ roles is a great idea. Start going through the JDs of those roles in your target companies. Then identify relevant experiences and achievements in your past roles related to operations, process improvement, project management etc. These could include achievements like starting a new section from scratch or implementing operational practices to reduce loan disbursement turnaround time. Then identify the skillsets you need to further develop on, to become an "ideal-fit" candidate for your target role. Once you identify the missing skillsets, write down an actionable plan to build those through avenues including taking on more operational leadership responsibilities in your current role, taking on live consulting projects on Operations topics (there are some pro-bono/ little-pay firms where you can do this), and (adding on top of the previous two) take specific course-work and certifications such as the ones mentioned in the previous threads. Also try to participate in relevant events/ workshops, conferences, or case competitions that can further enhance your understanding and showcase your interest in Operations.

Also remember to have a clear and compelling answer to why MBA and why ISB/ IIMs. One way to go about it is to list down your achievements/ experiences in your past roles along with the skills you have developed at these roles. Match these against the skill-sets needed for your post-MBA Operations roles. Then articulate clearly why/ how ISB is best placed to help you make that transition.

Feel free to reach out if I can be of help :)

Regards,
Arvind
admitstreet.com
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  288   289   290   291   292  ...  307