Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 10:28 It is currently 11 May 2024, 10:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 590 Q43 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Gmatlearnerpromax wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Please help in evaluating my profile for the 2024-25 batch of ISB.

10th: 91.8% (ICSE BOARD)
12th: 83.5% (ISC board)
BTech: Marine engineering in 2016, 7.34 CGPA- BITS Pilani
Merit scholarship holder in College.
GMAT: Yet to take (scored 650 in official practice test #1)
work exp: 6.5 yrs in Merchant Navy as a Marine Engineer(Operations Engineer) in Maersk (2nd largest Shipping Company in the world).
I have secured 3 promotions in these years.
Also received a 2000 USD scholarship for outstanding performance in the Maersk internship.
The motive for MBA: career domain change from Merchant Navy to Product Management/ Consulting.

Extracurricular :
1- Social Media Brand Ambassador for the shipping company "Maersk".
2- An active Content Creator in the Merchant Navy sector with 25000 followers across different social media platforms.
Active Debator in school and college.
3- Invited as a guest speaker on podcasts ( Eg: NIT Silchar, talks with Merchant Navy Captain) on Youtube to speak about shipping and merchant navy.
4- Featured in a leading Maritime Magazine in the Philippines as a success story in shipping.
5- Active debater in college and school. Organized an Entrepreneurship venture in college fest.
6- Participated in NGOs and helped in the social work domain.
7- Actively helped a friend in his startup which is now a successful apparel business.

Want to work and live in India in the long term. Kindly suggest advice/suggestions to strengthen my profile for admit this year.

Gmatlearnerpromax - good profile with a balance of academics, professional achievements and extracurricular activities. I would suggest targeting higher on the GMAT (average for the ISB 2022 class is around 710) to increase your chances. Some further comments:

Work Experience: Your 6+ years experience in the Merchant Navy (Maersk) is unique and demonstrates a strong background in operations and leadership. In your application, make sure to highlight transferable skills that can be applicable to Product Management or Consulting roles, such as analytical problem-solving, teamwork, negotiation/ persuasion skills, ability to deliver within tight deadlines, etc. I have experiences working in both domains pre/ post MBA: feel free to reach out for a chat.

Why MBA: In your application, clearly articulate your reasons for wanting to transition from the Merchant Navy to PM/ Consulting. Highlight how an MBA (and particularly ISB) will help you acquire the necessary skills and knowledge for this career shift. Also research about ISB, the clubs, industry networks, alumni base, etc. that appeal to you in terms of opening up opportunities for Consulting/ PM roles. Speaking to alumni who have made similar transitions can help.

Extracurricular Activities: Your involvement in social media, content creation, and guest speaking engagements demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively and build a personal brand. Make sure to highlight specific achievements and (quantified) impacts you have made through these engagements, and how these lessons can help you in/ post your MBA journey.

I am hosting a webinar on July 14th at 9:30pm IST with Deepti Gupta, who is a Product Leader at Google (San Francisco) and an ISB MBA alumna. We will cover topics including MBA Admissions, Career transitions: Consulting/ Product Management. If this interests you, please register at: https://bit.ly/admitstreet_webinar

Regards,
Arvind
HEC Paris MBA alum, Admissions interviewer
W: https://admitstreet.com | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com | M: +(91)-974-126-3950
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Gmatlearnerpromax,

I hope this email finds you well.

I'm writing to you today because I'm impressed with your profile and I believe that you have a strong chance of being accepted to ISB's PGP program.

You have a strong academic background, with a good GPA and a pedigree from a top instituion. You also have a wealth of work experience, which is essential for ISB's admissions committee. Additionally, your participation in extracurricular activities shows that you are a well-rounded individual who is involved in your community.

I would be happy to provide you with a free profile evaluation with an ex-ISB admissions officer. This would give you an opportunity to get feedback on your application and essays, and to discuss your post-ISB goals.

I also encourage you to continue to work hard on your GMAT score. The average GMAT score for the ISB PGP program is 700+, so it's important to score as close to that as possible.

I wish you all the best in your GMAT preparation and your application to ISB.

Regards,
Team ISBmantra
https://www.isbmantra.com | info@isbmantra.com

Gmatlearnerpromax wrote:
Hello Everyone,

work exp: 6.5 yrs in Merchant Navy as a Marine Engineer(Operations Engineer) in Maersk (2nd largest Shipping Company in the world).
Also received a 2000 USD scholarship for outstanding performance in the Maersk internship.
The motive for MBA: career domain change from Merchant Navy to Product Management/ Consulting.

Extracurricular :
2- An active Content Creator in the Merchant Navy sector with 25000 followers across different social media platforms.
3- Invited as a guest speaker on podcasts ( Eg: NIT Silchar, talks with Merchant Navy Captain) on Youtube to speak about shipping and merchant navy.
4- Featured in a leading Maritime Magazine in the Philippines as a success story in shipping.
5- Active debater in college and school. Organized an Entrepreneurship venture in college fest.
7- Actively helped a friend in his startup which is now a successful apparel business.

Want to work and live in India in the long term. Kindly suggest advice/suggestions to strengthen my profile for admit this year.

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 635 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Gmatlearnerpromax wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Extracurricular :

Gmatlearnerpromax

Your academic arc is solid and your background as a Marine engineer is a differentiator.

Your ECs are also very impressive. Highlighting mentions in the media for your projects, initiatives, and recognition from industry associations, unions, or non-profit organizations is a great way to bolster your resume for top-tier MBA programs.

Goals Strategy
Coming to your goals, you would have to work hard to craft a strategy that clearly helps connect your prior experience in Marine operations with your post-MBA goals in Product or Consulting. Please understand that Product is different from Consulting and both are different from your background in leading Operations in merchant navy vessels. You will have to identify what are the transferrable skills from your experience that you would be able to leverage in either of these roles.

For example, Product management is a broad field. You need to be clear not only about what type of role you are interested in but also how your past experience in a role focused on "operations" has awarded you the right type of transferable skills and design thinking you need to succeed as a product manager. Research the types of companies that would value your previous experience and provide a springboard for your career in a new field. Sometimes Operations profiles can falter in presenting a solid strategy for transitioning directly into a PM role. If this is the case for you, you could present a phased plan where you either start in a role on the fringes of product management or take responsibility for a small part of a larger product system. Think about the skills you have acquired based on your previous experience and identify areas where you would like to improve. If you want to move to a different industry, think about the new skills that would be required for that move.

Likewise, if your goals lean toward consulting, have a clear vision behind your decision to pursue an MBA and ensure your past career decisions align coherently with your short and long-term plans. Why do you want to do an MBA? Why do you need an MBA to get into MBB/consulting? Why do you want to get into MBB/consulting? What problems do you want to solve as a management consultant in the industry? What issues have you seen in the industry through your prior experience that you want to solve for? Why would MBB value your expertise? Addressing such questions in your essays and interviews will be very important.

Outstanding candidates usually have a Plan A and a Plan B, and back them up with relevant insights gained from networking with graduates, potential recruiters, and industry experts. This demonstrates that you are well-informed and proactively planning for your future career success.

Overall, you have a great profile. Focus on getting a good GMAT score (710+) and presenting an impressive and authentic application.

Personalized advice tailored to your specific situation is just a phone call or message away. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the PGP admissions process.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum and ex-admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ |LinkedIn | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com

Originally posted by MBAGuide on 11 Jul 2023, 23:29.
Last edited by MBAGuide on 17 Jul 2023, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Please evaluate my profile, Male Age 29, Architecture
10th : 8.6 CGPA (CBSE)
12th : 73 % (State-board)
B.Arch : 6.76 GPA (Manipal University)

Gmat : Yet to take

Work exp : 6.6Yrs in Total
5 yrs in Architecture & construction (AEC), Currently working in a top-2 AEC Firm in the world
- Managed a project with close to 30 contractors and 150 buildings valued at $5 Billion.
- Worked on a Internal Construction Management Tool
- Bagged an international on-site opportunity just 6 months after joining.
- Created a Training program along with manuals and tutorials for 5 Tools that is part of company training

Other Experience (1 Yr, 6 Months)
- Wrote for a Bi-weekly Published magazine
- Graphic Designer, created Social Media posts
- Worked on Affordable Housing, smart cities policy

Achievements:
- 10 GPA in final Sem
- Company Leadership Award

Volunteering:
- Company CSR for 2 years
- Wrote the Story and Script, Acted in a company Short Film
- Conducted Learning Sessions and Trainings
- Speaker and Panel Discussion at a National level Conference hosted by Ministry of Highways,
- Speaker at University

Hobbies :
- Writing (I have a blog, and I write on Medium on Football, infrastructure)

My Queries are:

1) Is ISB even a possibility considering my age and GPA.
2) What are some alternatives in India and Internationally if not ISB apart from IIM PGPX
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 635 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Raoshan87 wrote:

5 yrs in Architecture & construction (AEC), Currently working in a top-2 AEC Firm in the world
- Managed a project with close to 30 contractors and 150 buildings valued at $5 Billion.
- Created a Training program along with manuals and tutorials for 5 Tools that is part of company training

Achievements:
- 10 GPA in final Sem

Volunteering:
- Speaker and Panel Discussion at a National level Conference hosted by Ministry of Highways,
- Speaker at University

Hobbies :

My Queries are:

2) What are some alternatives in India and Internationally if not ISB apart from IIM PGPX

@Raoshan87

Hi from a fellow Manipal alum. Perhaps the most important thing you missed in your query is addressing "Why do you need an MBA?". What do you want to do with an MBA?(change function, change industry, set up business etc)
Adding this would not only help gauge your chances at ISB but also suggest other options that can get you closer to achieving your goals. On the other hand, it is difficult to comment on your odds to crack ISB without knowing your GMAT score.

Hope this write up helps
Navigating the challenges of a low GPA in MBA applications

My Queries are:

Age is no bar for ISB. My last applicant to ISB was in the 35+ age group. But do note that with higher experience and age, the criterion for admission also becomes more stringent (MBA cohorts follow a bell curve).
Your GPA is low and I acknowledge that. Focus on getting a high GMAT and give your best shot.

2) What are some alternatives in India and Internationally if not ISB apart from IIM PGPX[/quote]
Again, depends on what do you want to do after an MBA.

Personalized advice tailored to your specific situation is just a phone call or message away. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the PGP admissions process.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum and ex-admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ |LinkedIn | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com

Originally posted by MBAGuide on 12 Jul 2023, 03:34.
Last edited by MBAGuide on 17 Jul 2023, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Raoshan87,

Thank you for your query. I understand your concern about your age and GPA. However, ISB does not have a strict age limit, and your GPA can be offset by a strong GMAT score.

The average GMAT score for ISB is 713, so you would need to score at least 713 to be considered competitive. However, if you can score higher than the average, it will give you a significant boost in your application.

In addition to your GMAT score, ISB will also consider your work experience, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation. So, if you have a strong overall application, your age and GPA will not be a major factor.

I encourage you to prepare for the GMAT and aim for a score of 713 or higher. This will give you the best chance of being admitted to ISB.

Regards,
Team ISBmantra
https://www.isbmantra.com | info@isbmantra.com

Raoshan87 wrote:

Achievements:
- 10 GPA in final Sem

Volunteering:
- Speaker at University

Hobbies :

My Queries are:

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Please evaluate my profile, thanking you.

Male Age 31, International Development

10th : 86% (CBSE)
12th : 92 % (CBSE)
B.A. in International Development with Economics : 69% (University of East Anglia, UK)
Gmat : Yet to take and targeting a score of 720+

Work Exp :

5 yrs working in a grassroots NGO, Sansristi (2015 - 2021)
- 2015 - 2016 - Intern
- 2016 - 2017 - Research Assistant
- 2017 - 2021 - Programme Manager

2 years as Project Manager in Shanta Memorial Rehabilitation Centre (2021 - 23)

Managed multiple cross-continental research projects (with DECCMA) on climate change adaptation and mitigation in floodplains.
Managed research project on survey of construction workers in state of Odisha

Extra-curricular:

- Curated and led a volunteering organisation called Raahat to serve interstate migrant workers and other vulnerable sections during the first 2 phases of the Pandemic - recognised by Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation
- Started a gourmet food delivery cloud kitchen, Al Zaffran, specialising in heirloom recipes.

Achievements:

- 2nd Rank in CBSE 12th Board Examination, Odisha for the Commerce Stream
- 40% Scholarship from University of East Anglia for my undergraduate degree
- Written the Mains examination of UPSC CSE twice - 2018 and 2019

Hobbies :

- Randoneuring (long distance cycling): Recognised by the Audax Club in Paris
- Marathoner (completed 4 Half Marathons)
- Building fluency in the German language
- Budding triathlete with a goal of finishing the full Iron Man in 2 years

Questions -

1) I am looking to do a MBA in order to pivot into the corporate sector, leveraging my experience in the development sector to drive changes in ESG norms. I am also interested in working in the social impact consulting sector. Is ISB a good option?
2) Considering my age, what other options do I have ? I have an open mind to doing a MBA from abroad as well.
3) I might not be able to get a GMAT score in time for Round 1 applications, Round 2 is more realistic for me.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Kudos
Baibhavp24 wrote:

B.A. in International Development with Economics : 69% (University of East Anglia, UK)

Work Exp :

- 2015 - 2016 - Intern

Managed multiple cross-continental research projects (with DECCMA) on climate change adaptation and mitigation in floodplains.

Extra-curricular:

- Curated and led a volunteering organisation called Raahat to serve interstate migrant workers and other vulnerable sections during the first 2 phases of the Pandemic - recognised by Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation
- Started a gourmet food delivery cloud kitchen, Al Zaffran, specialising in heirloom recipes.

Achievements:

Hobbies :

Questions -

1) I am looking to do a MBA in order to pivot into the corporate sector, leveraging my experience in the development sector to drive changes in ESG norms. I am also interested in working in the social impact consulting sector. Is ISB a good option?
2) Considering my age, what other options do I have ? I have an open mind to doing a MBA from abroad as well.
3) I might not be able to get a GMAT score in time for Round 1 applications, Round 2 is more realistic for me.

That's a unique profile, goals are good too. Feasibile & achievable post MBA.

For ISB, 720+ should do the trick assuming you do everything else right.

For international MBA, EU top schools are a good bet. Top 5 Brit schools too. I don't know for some reason, I feel you can apply to Oxford if you're able to achieve your target score. You're kind of in the range statistically.

US is competitive. But did you know that Columbia offers a dual degree on MBA + MS (Social work) that kinda is in your wheelhouse too. (Score requirements are higher though for Indian Candidates - from what we've seen over the last couple of years).

We do have a client in Columbia, among others - Where we got them. I'm sure you can get your best shot at these schools but I'm afraid, we'll have to look at the score to make any suggestions.

With 720, the general target schools will be 15 or above in US news ranking.

I'm sure if you can get to 720, you can get to 740. Aim higher. Your odds increase drastically.

Posted from my mobile device
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,
Answering your questions as below,

You have a unique work experience in the social development sector. Social impact consulting and ESG are upcoming areas, you do see MBA graduates from top institutions working in this sector for sure. ISB PGP is a good program as it has a very good mix in terms of focus and curriculum for this sector as well.

To evaluate other options for MBA programs your GMAT (actual score) would be an important data point to consider. Your work experience is above the average work experience for a lot of Business Schools but it's not that they don't accept applicants at your age. However, the best way to narrow down or shortlist schools would be to share your resume with the schools directly for their feedback on the fit with the cohort.

Applying to round 2 is fine.

All the best!

Baibhavp24 wrote:

Work Exp :
- 2015 - 2016 - Intern

Extra-curricular:

Achievements:

Hobbies :

Questions -

VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Baibhavp24

You seem to check most of the boxes-

1. Academic Potential- decent past scores and the target score (if you achieve it) will help you.
2. Work Ex- shows good potential of story telling from a career progression, achievements and impact point of view.
3. Diversity- The multicultural exposure, the industry and extracurricular will really help you stand out. Make sure in your essays you bring out qualities that you have gained from these experiences that will help you add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
4. Career Goals- moving to the corporate world should not be a problem, and the project manager experience will only help. However, I would recommend you to make your goals a bit more specific. What are your long term goals (say 5-10 years from now and what is your personalized reason to have these goals). What are your short term goals (say 3-4 years from now) that will allow you gain enough learning and experience to be able to transition into your long term goals. What are your immediate post MBA goals (the role and the company/companies you want to target. yes you should be that specific) and how will ISB act as a stepping stone to help you land this role (AKA what Existing skills will ISB strengthen and what new skills will it help build). ISB will expect clear answers to these in order to evaluate your goals as strong, clear and realistic.

The top options are of course ISB, IIM A/B/C. Abroad is a much wider question and other factors need to be considered before answering the same- long term goals (settle in India or abroad for example), preference (geographical, financial, personal for instance).
R2 is good, should not be a problem.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com
+918452954888 (WApp for a quick response)

Baibhavp24 wrote:

Work Exp :

- 2015 - 2016 - Intern

Extra-curricular:

Achievements:

Hobbies :

Questions -

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Hello Raoshan87

First let us have a quick feedback on your profile before moving onto your questions-
ISB will evaluate your profile on 4 factors-

1. Academic potential- past scores are average (not a deal breaker) but can be compensated if you score a 710+
2. Work ex- is unique and shows good potential for story telling. If you bring out the career progression, achievements and impact strongly in your essays, LORs and interviews, work ex can be your stand out strength.
3. Diversity- your Industry/Role anyway adds diversity. In addition, some of your extracurricular activities seem interesting and can help you prove that you will be a good addition to ISB and will add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom. The trick is to portray limited set of activities, but really bring out the accomplishments and show them to be relevant to the B school application (why should ISB be interested in you working in company CSR for example)
4. Career Goals- ISB (or any good B school for that matter) is looking for leaders who have a clear and realistic vision of their career. Who can prove that ISB is the best way to help in their journey. In fact this is where most of your questions get answered. Can you make it to ISB? Acads and Age are not a problem at all, but since there is no clear set of career goals, tough to say. Why does an architecture graduate want to study at ISB? What are the other schools (Indian or abroad) that you should target? Again depends on the goals. Talk about the long term vision of your career and is ISB really the best way to achieve that vision? And you have your answer- whether ISB, IIM, any other school (or MBA at all!)

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

Raoshan87 wrote:

Achievements:
- 10 GPA in final Sem

Volunteering:
- Speaker at University

Hobbies :

My Queries are:

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Gmatlearnerpromax

Merchant navy profiles usually have an edge because of the diversity they bring to the class. However, there are a few areas in your profile you must strengthen in order to stand a strong chance-

1. GMAT (AKA Academic potential)- goes without saying a 650 will make it tough irrespective of other strengths in the profile or past scores. Target a 700+ and you will have a strong shot.
2. Work ex- this is your stand out strength anyway. You will have many stories to tell where you performed, led teams in high pressure situations with limited resources. This proves ability to deliver in the future in the role of your choice. Focus on this in your essays/interviews and you can't go wrong.
3. Diversity- Merchant navy add diversity of perspective. Some of the extracurricular activities are interesting too. Key is showing that how your merchant navy experience and extracurricular activities will help add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
4. Career Goals- this is where I have a doubt. How are you planning to move to product management/consulting with your work ex and skills. Not sure how you plan to make this transition successful as most people in PM are from tech background. Consulting is a different animal altogether. What consulting- Big 4 or boutique operations consulting? I have worked with dozens of marine engineers and almost 100% people from Merchant navy usually transition into an operations role (research Amazon pathways and the number of marine engineers in that program) as that seems to be the most organic path for them from an experience, skill perspective. I am not saying you have to necessarily go down that path, but answer the questions around PM/Consulting before you choose a path.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

Gmatlearnerpromax wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Extracurricular :

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello walterwhite756

First let us evaluate your profile before answering your questions-
ISB will evaluate your profile on 4 factors-

1. Academic potential- past scores are good, target a 700+ in your specific case to be commensurate with your past scores and also to further strengthen your profile.
2. Work ex- Counter to your fears, actually your govt experience can be your strength. As long as you showcase the right stores in your essays that show good career progression, achievements and impact at work, the govt experience will not be a negative, in fact it can be a plus (see the point below).
3. Diversity- the govt ex can actually add diversity to your profile as you can present different perspectives in the class discussions (as most people will be from the private sector, the issues/perspectives you will raise will be different). In certain cases where the private sector needs to deal with the public sector, someone like you can be an asset as you can understand the positives/negatives/temperament of the public sector better. Instead of asking whether govt work ex will be a strength or weakness you need to get in control and prove how it will be a strength. Apart from this try to use some of your extracurricular activities to further boost diversity by proving how your achievements/experiences here will help you add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
4. Career goals- This is actually your biggest weakness. Just saying "career domain change from Govt to Corporate and better opportunities" is very vague. Which sector? Which companies? What roles? Why is ISB (or another B school) the best bet to achieve this goal? What are your long term goals (say 5 years from now)? Why are you motivated to have these goals? What are your short term goals, say 3 years from now that will help you gain enough learning and experience to be able to transition into your long term goals? What are your immediate post MBA goals? How will ISB act as a stepping stone to help you achieve this short term goal? What existing skills will ISB further strengthen? What new skills do you want to gain at ISB? What roles are you targeting post MBA? What companies are you targeting post MBA? You will need to be this clear to have a strong set of goals that ISB will consider for a successful admission.

While I believe most of your questions should get answered above, still let us address all of them below.

Queries:
1. Will my Govt R&D job affect my application severely? As i don't have any experience in private/corporate industry?
answered above
2. How will my extra curriculars and hobbies fare against rest of the applicants?
they look weak in their current description as you haven't mentioned accomplishments or impact here. more than a long list what matters is proving how these extracurricular activities are relevant to the b school application. Why should ISB be interested that you are in the organizing committee of National science day or play cricket. But if you can prove how your achievements/experiences here will help you add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom, suddenly you have a strong set of activities.
3. Are there any certifications which i can opt for to improve my application? Do not do certifications for the sake of admission. Do it because these help you achieve some life goal- either it helps you achieve your post MBA goals or make you better at some extracurricular activity that you do. Again just like a good extracurricular, certifications should prove how your achievements/experiences here will help you add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom, suddenly you have a strong set of certifications.
4. Should i target GMAT in August or in October? I think if i take more time, my score can go past 700-720s. If i appear for GMAT in August (for R1), i think my score might fall below 700. Whatever allows you to get the highest possible score. If that is October, go for it. All the best!
5. How much time to be devoted for application filling and how do i approach it, i am totally new to this thing and don't have any prior knowledge about the same. Usually 4 weeks, but that is a thumb rule. It will also depend on how busy or free you are in your personal/professional life, what sort of quality of work can you produce. Also, this is for one school, other schools will depend on how similar their questions are to ISB, how strong is your research around each school (you don't want to copy paste your answers to attending ISB as same as IIMA.) You will also need to spend at least 7-15 days on brainstorming around your own profile. You may contact me for the detail process
6. I can't tell at my organization for LOR so i will be sourcing it from a senior (close friend of mine) working in the same organization. Will ISB interviewers take it in negative sense? A 'friend' is not the right referee, but teally depends on their position and their relation with you and their ablity to comment on your work.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

walterwhite756 wrote:
Hi all, kindly evaluate my profile and suggest tentative GMAT score :

10th : 90.33% (Rajasthan state board)
12th : 91% (CBSE board)
BTech : Electrical engineering in 2018 , 9.2 CGPA (Gold medalist from reputed NIT college)
MTech : Electrical engineering in 2020, 86% (Gold medalist)
GMAT : Yet to take (scored 650 in official practice test #1)
work exp : 5 yrs in core Government R&D institute, my work is focused on Research and development of various new technologies in power electronics sector with 1 promotion
Motive for exec MBA: career domain change from Govt to Corporate and better opportunities
Extra curricular : in the organizing committee of National science day (conducted every year) from past 2 years in the office.
Hobbies : Travelling, movies, Playing cricket

Queries:
1. Will my Govt R&D job affect my application severely? As i don't have any experience in private/corporate industry?
2. How will my extra curriculars and hobbies fare against rest of the applicants?
3. Are there any certifications which i can opt for to improve my application?
4. Should i target GMAT in August or in October? I think if i take more time, my score can go past 700-720s. If i appear for GMAT in August (for R1), i think my score might fall below 700.
5. How much time to be devoted for application filling and how do i approach it, i am totally new to this thing and don't have any prior knowledge about the same.
6. I can't tell at my organization for LOR so i will be sourcing it from a senior (close friend of mine) working in the same organization. Will ISB interviewers take it in negative sense?

Apart from ISB, i am thinking of IIM A, B and C. Can you suggest any other schools?
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello 197369

Past scores are decent, would recommend a 700 (or more) for a confident chance.
Work ex has its potential but would love to hear more around your key achievements and impact at work also.
Regarding extracurricular/hobbies (or any activity/experience that you feel will add diversity) do not consider it as a checklist but as an experience that you will use to prove how it will help you add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
Lastly, the most important piece of the puzzle is missing- what are your post MBA goals? Why ISB at all? Without this key information, the profile evaluation is incomplete.

Varun
MBAkarma.com

197369 wrote:
Please evaluate my profile and suggest tentative GMAT score :
10th : 10 CGPA
12th : 93 %
Btech : mechanical engg in 2017 , 8.5CGPA
Gmat : Yet to take ( currently ranging in 650-660)
work exp :
6 yrs in maintenance domain n supply chain domain at leading steel industry with 01 career progression
First female officer in the maintenance domain of the plant
First hand experience in establishment of newer plants during the expansion phase

Extra curricular : organised an one-day cultural official event of 500+ employees in the office
EMCEE for many official events
Conducted several live shows for teaching painting and sketching at Instagram in collaboration with Faber Castle

Hobbies :
Classically trained singer and Kathak dancer

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Everyone,
Is it possible to get into ISB with low academics and no extracurricular activities during academics time.
I have 86 % in class 10 and 60.8 % in class 12 and a 7.9 CGPA in graduation(Computer science engineering).
After that, I have been in the IT industry since 2019 working in an Administrator role where I have done multiple certifications.
I have also got delivery excellence award and other awards for my project work.
So is it possible to get into ISB and if yes how much i should target in GMAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Getting into ISB with low academics and no extracurricular activities is possible, but it will be challenging. You will need to have a strong GMAT score and a compelling story to tell about your work experience and why you want to get an MBA.

Your academic record is below the average for ISB applicants. The average GMAT score for ISB is 720, and the average undergraduate GPA is 8.5. However, your work experience and awards could help to offset your academic record.

If you are serious about getting into ISB, I recommend that you target a GMAT score of 750 or higher. You should also focus on writing strong essays that highlight your work experience and why you want to get an MBA.

Here are some additional tips for increasing your chances of getting into ISB:

Get involved in extracurricular activities. This will show that you are a well-rounded individual and that you have interests outside of work.
Network with current ISB students and alumni. This will give you a better understanding of the school and its culture.
Be prepared to answer questions about your low academic record. Be honest about your challenges, but also focus on what you have learned from them.
I wish you the best of luck in your application process!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi all, kindly evaluate my profile for ISB (and MBA colleges in UK)
10th : 9.6 CGPA or 91% (CBSE Board)
12th : 96% (CBSE board)
Bachelor’s: B.Sc Maths Honours (LSR College) - 8.2 CGPA
GMAT : 690
work exp : 3 years as of this date.
Industry: Consulting
2.4 years- supply chain consulting at GEP worldwide
Last 7 months- Executive search and leadership advisory firm

Apart from ISB, i am thinking of top UK schools such as LBS, Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge.

Could you please give your views.

Thanks

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  290   291   292   293   294  ...  307