Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V44
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
mrinal0308 wrote:
Hi Experts

I gave my 2nd attempt of gmat today and got a 640 (q49,v28). In my first attempt, I got a 530 (q48,v17).

I am an Indian female with about 6 yrs of exp in IT Software, worked with two companies , TCS and Accenture. I have been doing great at job with lot of best employee awards and extra curricular activities like participating in quizzes, rangoli art competitions etc. I was also the HR spoc for my project and arranged events like picnic for about 100 people, quarterly awards for best performance etc.

My academics are also good like in
-10th, 89.8%, (Merit student certificate from CBSE)
-12th, 89.6% (Amul vidyabhushan award)
-B tech in electrical n electronics , 85% (gold medallist, branch topper) CGPA : 9.24
I was engaged in lot of extra curricular activities at school also like painting and essay writing competitions etc.

What are my chances in IIMs or ISB ? or can you suggest what are the best schools for me both in India and abroad? I am looking for a functional shift in my role and an MBA In information systems.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device

hi mrinal0308!
First of all you academic profile is terrific, and your gmat score doesn't goes in line with your academic profile. I would suggest you to retake the gmat by studying manhattan guides for quant and verbal, and CR from CR bible. With your current gmat score follows universities SHOULD be reachable: Washington - Foster
Seattle University
Colorado Boulder
Georgia Institute of Technology
Boston University
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
mkrishnabdrr wrote:
mrinal0308 wrote:
Hi Experts

I gave my 2nd attempt of gmat today and got a 640 (q49,v28). In my first attempt, I got a 530 (q48,v17).

I am an Indian female with about 6 yrs of exp in IT Software, worked with two companies , TCS and Accenture. I have been doing great at job with lot of best employee awards and extra curricular activities like participating in quizzes, rangoli art competitions etc. I was also the HR spoc for my project and arranged events like picnic for about 100 people, quarterly awards for best performance etc.

My academics are also good like in
-10th, 89.8%, (Merit student certificate from CBSE)
-12th, 89.6% (Amul vidyabhushan award)
-B tech in electrical n electronics , 85% (gold medallist, branch topper) CGPA : 9.24
I was engaged in lot of extra curricular activities at school also like painting and essay writing competitions etc.

What are my chances in IIMs or ISB ? or can you suggest what are the best schools for me both in India and abroad? I am looking for a functional shift in my role and an MBA In information systems.

Thanks in advance.

hi mrinal0308!
First of all you academic profile is terrific, and your gmat score doesn't goes in line with your academic profile. I would suggest you to retake the gmat by studying manhattan guides for quant and verbal, and CR from CR bible. With your current gmat score follows universities SHOULD be reachable: Washington - Foster
Seattle University
Colorado Boulder
Georgia Institute of Technology
Boston University

Many thanks for your comments.
I am really not looking for a retake so easily as I have already invested a lot of time preparing for the 2nd attempt and not very considerate about a retake until there is no other option. I have followed the manhattan guides already and cr bible and hence not very sure about a retake.

Can you comment anything about my chances on Indian universities like IIM Or ISB Hyderabad? I have a bit of idea that IIM Indore can take this profile, but not sure about how IIM Indore competes with IIM A,B or C in terms of placements and value.

On another note, how is CMU's Heinz college- MISM program? One of my mentors recommended this program to me but I don't have much visibility on that. Is that like a usual MBA program? How good is that?

Please suggest.

MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
bowlalife wrote:
Do people here also evaluate profiles for YLP applicants to ISB? If yes, I would like one for me

Yes, you can get a profile evaluation done irrespective of your experience and mode of application (YLP, EEO etc.)

Please provide your details and will be happy to evaluate your profile.

Regards,
Abhishek Chawla
ISB alumnus & Co-Founder, Strategy4GMAT.
Ph: +91 7087234600 | E: abhishek.chawla@strategy4gmat.com
www.strategy4gmat.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks. My profile is as follows -

Pursuing Economics from Hansraj College, University of Delhi.
X - 95%
XII - 96.5%
UG - 7.45

No work experience obviously, currently interning at Inshorts as a business strategy intern. Have worked before with a start-up as a content writer for 3 months. Active in various ECA societies and colleges and have organized a fest on a very large scale almost single handedly.

Planning to give GMAT soon, aiming 720+, gave a couple mocks and my scores mean around 700, haven't touched 720 yet but I'm confident I'll hit it when I attempt the test.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Forgot to mention one thing. Have pursued courses relevant to my field of study from Coursera if that affects my profile and improves my chances of being selected.

Thanks

MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
bowlalife wrote:

X - 95%
XII - 96.5%
UG - 7.45

No work experience obviously, currently interning at Inshorts as a business strategy intern. Have worked before with a start-up as a content writer for 3 months. Active in various ECA societies and colleges and have organized a fest on a very large scale almost single handedly.

Planning to give GMAT soon, aiming 720+, gave a couple mocks and my scores mean around 700, haven't touched 720 yet but I'm confident I'll hit it when I attempt the test.

Overall, a strong profile from a YLP / EEO perspective. A good mix of strong academics and extra-curriculars. Ensure you get a 720+ on the GMAT and write stellar essays to ensure your candidature is strengthened by it. Good luck!

Regards,
Abhishek Chawla
ISB alumnus & Co-Founder, Strategy4GMAT.
Ph: +91 7087234600 | E: abhishek.chawla@strategy4gmat.com
www.strategy4gmat.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bowlalife wrote:
Forgot to mention one thing. Have pursued courses relevant to my field of study from Coursera if that affects my profile and improves my chances of being selected.

Thanks

Is this also relevant, does this help my case/strengthen my profile?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohdabbas5 wrote:
Hello Experts,

I will be applying for the ISB in 2017 –R1 , I am currently working as a Mechanical Design Engineer in Kuwait based Top 5 International consultants, basically Architectural/Engineering firm. I have been involved with various types of design projects like Commercial, Residential, Hospitals and Governmental projects etc.
I will be very happy for the profile evaluation.
Nationality: Indian
Education: Btech-72% Punjab Technical University-2012
12th 53.2% 10th 72%
GMAT: Appearing in First Week of July
Work Experience:
I have 5 years’ experience in the Design of HVAC/Electro-mechannical Projects. Apart from that, I have worked for a limited time for the site (supervision/project management) as a replacement for Senior Mechanical Engineers continuously. Besides, I am working as Acting Head of the Department (Mechanical) in the firm and handling all mechanical design related work. I have handled with different projects simultaneously.
In addition to the above, I have introduced/launched a skincare product (made in USA) in Kuwait which later on, will be launched in UAE too. And, I am working as ‘Vice President-Marketing’ for USA Skincare Company for Middle East Region.
My primary target B School is ISB, and the London School of Economics & Political Science.
I do have some volunteer experience at the college level and also trying to get some projects from United Nations online so that I can work on that area too.
However, I will try to get some international experience rather than the base location to consolidate the profile.
I have some travelling experience as well i.e. I traveled to USA, Australia, Dubai, Bangkok, Iraq and Kuwait several times.
I also have some member ships like Institution of Engineers, India etc. and certifications courses in pipe design from Smart brains institute. I have completed completed certification courses in product design/development in Auto cad, pro/E and Ansys from an auto desk certified institute.
Thank you in advance
Kindest Regards,
Abbas

Hi Abbas,

A very interesting and unique profile! From what we understand, you're working with an Architectural/Engineering firm, but also moonlight for the skincare company. Is our understanding correct? (Please take our evaluation with a pinch of salt, as we think we need more information to provide a correct assessment.)
On the academics, you're definitely on the weaker side, and need a strong GMAT to back it up. A GMAT of 720+ should convince the ad-com that you can put up with a strong academic curriculum.
On the work-experience side, international exposure definitely adds value. You seem to be handling a lot of responsibilities and that can be construed as good exposure. The UN projects would definitely make great extracurriculars!

Our worry is the multiple role scenario and you will need to explain it in your essays. Also, your application will need to answer questions on your future career path. Marketing and mechanical design are completely different and choosing a career path (and reasoning it out) could be the bane of your application.

We think that your work is cut out for you: a great GMAT and also putting together an application that clearly articulates where you'd like to be in the future. Feel free to reach out to us in case of a discussion, as we feel that we'll need more information to give you a better assessment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
bowlalife wrote:

X - 95%
XII - 96.5%
UG - 7.45

Hi bowlalife,

Good profile. Your academics are definitely good and 720 is a good score to aim for. You haven't mentioned your career aspirations, but make sure that your internship stints and courses that you take up from Coursera add up towards your career path. Every small bit counts when you're applying for YLP because you don't have a ton of work experience. Therefore, learnings from internship stints/courses taken, recommendations, events that you have organized, and all other small and large initiatives that you have owned up and executed, eventually add up and strengthen your candidature.

Feel free to reach out in case of queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Hello Experts,

I will be applying for the ISB in 2017 –R1, currently I am working as a software developer with a Fortune 500 company and has received many great recognition for my work within a short span of 23 months. I have been a part of the student's council in my college for all four years and have organized many events almost single-handedly.
Here at work also I am leading the program for the fresh hires in India, thus honing up my leadership skills.

My 10th percentage was: 89%
12th: 78%
B.Tech-84%
GMAT:780

Kindly evaluate my profile and let me know what fields I need to concentrate/improve on in my application to become a strong contender.

Regards
Priya
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V44
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Apphelp wrote:
mohdabbas5 wrote:
Hello Experts,

I will be applying for the ISB in 2017 –R1 , I am currently working as a Mechanical Design Engineer in Kuwait based Top 5 International consultants, basically Architectural/Engineering firm. I have been involved with various types of design projects like Commercial, Residential, Hospitals and Governmental projects etc.
12th 53.2% 10th 72%
Work Experience:
I have 5 years’ experience in the Design of HVAC/Electro-mechannical Projects. Apart from that, I have worked for a limited time for the site (supervision/project management) as a replacement for Senior Mechanical Engineers continuously. Besides, I am working as Acting Head of the Department (Mechanical) in the firm and handling all mechanical design related work. I have handled with different projects simultaneously.
In addition to the above, I have introduced/launched a skincare product (made in USA) in Kuwait which later on, will be launched in UAE too. And, I am working as ‘Vice President-Marketing’ for USA Skincare Company for Middle East Region.
My primary target B School is ISB, and the London School of Economics & Political Science.
I do have some volunteer experience at the college level and also trying to get some projects from United Nations online so that I can work on that area too.
However, I will try to get some international experience rather than the base location to consolidate the profile.
I have some travelling experience as well i.e. I traveled to USA, Australia, Dubai, Bangkok, Iraq and Kuwait several times.
I also have some member ships like Institution of Engineers, India etc. and certifications courses in pipe design from Smart brains institute. I have completed completed certification courses in product design/development in Auto cad, pro/E and Ansys from an auto desk certified institute.
Thank you in advance
Kindest Regards,
Abbas

Hi Abbas,

A very interesting and unique profile! From what we understand, you're working with an Architectural/Engineering firm, but also moonlight for the skincare company. Is our understanding correct? (Please take our evaluation with a pinch of salt, as we think we need more information to provide a correct assessment.)
On the academics, you're definitely on the weaker side, and need a strong GMAT to back it up. A GMAT of 720+ should convince the ad-com that you can put up with a strong academic curriculum.
On the work-experience side, international exposure definitely adds value. You seem to be handling a lot of responsibilities and that can be construed as good exposure. The UN projects would definitely make great extracurriculars!

Our worry is the multiple role scenario and you will need to explain it in your essays. Also, your application will need to answer questions on your future career path. Marketing and mechanical design are completely different and choosing a career path (and reasoning it out) could be the bane of your application.

We think that your work is cut out for you: a great GMAT and also putting together an application that clearly articulates where you'd like to be in the future. Feel free to reach out to us in case of a discussion, as we feel that we'll need more information to give you a better assessment.

Dear Apphelp,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.
I think, i should not specify my experience in marketing if i creates ambiguity.
However, I have given the mock and i got 680 and 700. i am trying hard to get above 700.
besides, ISB has also selected students and i met those alums who pursued MBBS and later they pursued MBA in strategy & leadership and doing job in consulting. :-D :-D
However, apart from that please suggest me to work on the area so that my profile can stand out.
Thank you in advance!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi Priya,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

I am an ISB alum, CO14 and have been supporting applicants in their MBA admission journeys for the last few years. My first take on your profile based on the inputs you have shared :

Experience : Software Developer
While SD is considered as a highly recognised category in terms of experience, there is a lot of competition in this space. Hence, you will need to articulate as to what exactly you learnt, how you contributed and what value did you bring to your organisation, the scope of which extended beyond 'coding'

No. of years of experience : 2.3
This is slightly on the lower side, but,since your experience will be counted till March 2018, you should be good on that front.

Leadership Initiatives : Hiring support
You will need to highlight how you have been helping for recruitment- are you a campus ambassador ?,or, do you organise recruitment drives ?, or, do you help in forecasting resources needed ?

GMAT : 780
That is Excellent and will definitely give you an edge.

10th and 12th Score : Average
This will be compensated by your GMAT

Having said all of this, what the admission committee would be interested in knowing is how well you can articulate your Goals and showcase the need for an ISB MBA at the current juncture of your professional life. Basically, you will need to address the basic equation, X+Y=Z, where X is what you have currently (work experience, skill sets, knowledge base, connections), Z is your
goals/professional aspirations and Y is the bridge. Y needs to be a combination of multiple factors – education qualification/pedigree (knowledge about marketing/finance etc.) +
personal attributes ( team building, time management) + interaction with people from diverse background (alumni base/network)

I run an admission consulting service CrackAdmission and you can reach out to me at arijit [dot] biswas [@] crackadmission [dot] com

Thanks
Arijit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi Sangram,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks for sharing your profile. At the onset, I would like to understand your motivation of pursuing an MBA from ISB from 2019 and NOT 2018. I believe you are the optimum juncture of your career to aim for a MBA

Based on the information you have shared, you stand a good chance of getting the attention of the admission committee because of your experience in a core engineering field in a PM role. However, you will need to articulate in your application how you will add value to the classroom and what are your professional goals post MBA. You cam aim to pursue to multiple career options, but you will need to draw a correlation between your current experience, what ISB will give you and where you want to end up in your short and long term career goals.

I will strongly urge you to give the GMAT, attain a score of ~700 and apply to ISB in R1/R2 this year for a seat in the Class starting in 2018.

I am an ISB Alum,CO14 and run an admission consulting service - CrackAdmission. You can reach out to me for further details at arijit[dot]biswas[@]crackadmission[dot]com.

Cheers
AB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi Ashwin,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Firstly, I would want to address your question as to if ISB looks at undergrad college or not - Yes, it definitely does.

While the adcom reviews an application, there are certain tangible as well as intangible metrics it considers.
Tangible - Years of Experience, Industry, Company Name, Role, Promotions, GMAT score, Undergrad score, Undergrad Field, Undergrad University etc.
Intangible - Essays, Extracurricular as filled in application form, LOR
All components are assigned scores - tangible ones - Objectively and intangible ones -Subjectively.

So while Amity won't get a high score in terms of Undergrad Uni, its impact on the overall score can be compensated by other components.

As far as your profile is concerned, work experience in Oil and Gas is considered to be one of the unique streams (compared to the applying pool). However, you will need to showcase how you have contributed to your organisation in ways beyond regular call of duty, or something that everyone is already aware of. Secondly, you will need to narrow down and present your short and long term goals in a manner such that it complements your current experience and the learning from ISB.

Anything in excess of 700 and well crafted application will give make you a very competitive applicant.

I am an ISB Alum,CO14 and run an admission consulting service - CrackAdmission. You can reach out to me for further details at arijit[dot]biswas[@]crackadmission[dot]com in case you have any specific queries or need professional assistance.

Cheers and Best of Luck
Arijit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohdabbas5 wrote:
Apphelp wrote:
mohdabbas5 wrote:
Hello Experts,

12th 53.2% 10th 72%
Work Experience:
Thank you in advance
Kindest Regards,
Abbas

Hi Abbas,

Dear Apphelp,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.
I think, i should not specify my experience in marketing if i creates ambiguity.
However, I have given the mock and i got 680 and 700. i am trying hard to get above 700.
besides, ISB has also selected students and i met those alums who pursued MBBS and later they pursued MBA in strategy & leadership and doing job in consulting. :-D :-D
However, apart from that please suggest me to work on the area so that my profile can stand out.
Thank you in advance!!

Hi Abbas,

You're on the right path. Focus on getting GMAT out of the way, and aim for a high score. Higher always helps. :)
You're right, ISB is a great platform to switch careers. However, from an application point of view, it always makes sense to explain what is the right career progression for you. And therefore, you should highlight elements that will take you closer to your career goals. As stated earlier, we'll need to have a more detailed conversation to help you identify which elements of your your profile should be showcased on your application.
For building your profile, right now focusing on GMAT+extracurriculars should be the way forward, as you are doing well professionally.

Hope this helps. Feel free to get in touch for queries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Priya760 wrote:
Hello Experts,

I will be applying for the ISB in 2017 –R1, currently I am working as a software developer with a Fortune 500 company and has received many great recognition for my work within a short span of 23 months. I have been a part of the student's council in my college for all four years and have organized many events almost single-handedly.
Here at work also I am leading the program for the fresh hires in India, thus honing up my leadership skills.

My 10th percentage was: 89%
12th: 78%
B.Tech-84%
GMAT:780

Kindly evaluate my profile and let me know what fields I need to concentrate/improve on in my application to become a strong contender.

Regards
Priya

Hi Priya,

Firstly, great job on cracking the 780! It definitely gives you an edge over other applicants.
Since the GMAT is only one of the parameters, from here on, you should focus on your application essays, by defining Why you and Why MBA. Professional recognition and leading the program for fresh hires should make good stories for the Why you part of the essays. Make sure you are able to demonstrate a qualitative and quantitative impact for your essays, so that you appear as a well-rounded contender, beyond your GMAT score. Also, try to link your professional achievements to your future goals so that you are well-differentiated from your peers.

Since you belong to a very competitive pool, the weight of your application lies completely on how you can differentiate yourself in your essays. Feel free to get back in case of queries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi Rish,

This is with reference to your post seeking evaluation of your profile for ISB CO19. Below is my take :

Experience :
There is a definite diversity in your experience coming out from your stints in Corporate and Social Sector NGO. However. it is very important that you show clarity in your response while narrating why you made the move.

Goals :
This should be very much tied to your goals and in the short run what you aspire to do should be something that has some or the relation with you are doing now. Also, the need for a MBA, that too from ISB needs to be clearly highlighted. This will mostly be make or break content in your essay.

Academics :
Although your Diploma courses will add some value, otherwise you have very average grades. Hence, you will need to compensate in your GMAT as well as Application - Essay, LOR, Profile form.

Extracurricular :
You can't showcase yourself as Jack of All Trades. Rather you will have to narrow down on one / max. two extracurricular involvements and demonstrate impact and continuity in them. Your commerce background will give you a 'slight' edge over an engineer from an average undergrad institution. However, you have to tactfully play it your advantage.

I am an ISB Alum,CO14 and run an admission consulting service - CrackAdmission. You can reach out to me for further details at arijit[dot]biswas[@]crackadmission[dot]com in case you have any specific queries or need professional assistance.

Look forward to hearing your story.

Cheers
AB
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39  ...  307