GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ivey(Ontario) Class of 2021(March 2020 intake): Calling all Applicants

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Ivey(Ontario) Class of 2021(March 2020 intake): Calling all Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 07:51
The only thing I would say is that I'm a current student. Primary objective for coming to Ivey is to fulfill PR requirement to get citizenship in 2 years. And having "Ivey MBA" on resume would add some brand equity. I wouldn't come to Ivey had I not been given a close to full scholarship. Be happy to answer any specific questions.
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Ivey(Ontario) Class of 2021(March 2020 intake): Calling all Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 07:21
collahola wrote:
Share some thoughts as an existing Ivey MBA student. So far experience has been quite disappointing (I'm not badmouthing anything/anyone, and just presenting facts here):
- Huge discrepancy in student quality (in the name of diversity). Think of a scenario where you as a senior consultant having to sit thru a discussion with someone who's never done consulting and doesn't know what he/she is saying. There are classmates who don't even speak proper English
- This whole "case method" is a joke, at least at the MBA level. In many courses, professors spend (waste) way more time on case facts than having meaningful discussion
- Almost "toxic" culture around having to earn high marks on contribution. In many cases, it seems the whole point of the going to a class is to say something/contribute and then you are done, because you've earned the mark
- If you are pursuing consulting/finance (especially high finance like i-banking), not being in Toronto is a massive drawback for networking
- If you are switching industries through MBA, not being able to do an internship puts you at the bottom of the pool when it comes to full-time recruiting, as the trend now is that companies prioritize conversion of summer interns and internal hires over hiring someone who's not proven through internships. This is true regardless of industry
- Speaking of employment, simply take two grains of salt with respect to the official employment report. Majority of my class haven't found full-time jobs as of Nov 2019 (because not many firms come to hire at Ivey MBA), and for many who found jobs, those jobs are quite low bar on the value-chain
- Career management team is a total mess with little value-add due to recent departure of a few employees, period
- Lastly, Ivey charges $6 for a breakfast bagel, and $2 for ONE banana

In summary, if you are pursuing consulting/finance post-MBA, I highly recommending picking schools based out of Toronto over Ivey. And don't be mislead by the "value" of a one-year MBA program. Remember, Ivey's not charging you half of Rotman/Schulich, and the goal here is for the school to make more money given the dwindling pool of students.

Good luck guys!

Hey collahola , I really appreciate you sharing your perspective as my impression of Ivey through the students and alumn that I've spoken to has been starchly different.

I'd like to understand your background a little more by asking you a few questions, these will help me to assess my options better:

1-Are you active in any extra-curriculars (mainly clubs)? How have you tried to distinguish yourself from the rest of the class (perhaps you're top 25% performer, or a club VP/President)
2-How's your relationship with your cohort (do you know each other/have good relations with one another) ?
3-How engaged are you with Career Management?
4-How did you prepare for "Get Connected" ? Can you share that experience?
5-Did you land any interviews with consulting firms at "Get Connected" ?
6-What are your plans for finding a job?

Thank you!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 08:08
Ivey, or any school for that matter, could (and should) be viewed completely differently by people from different backgrounds and with different objectives of doing an MBA

To respond to your specific questions:

1-Are you active in any extra-curriculars (mainly clubs)? How have you tried to distinguish yourself from the rest of the class (perhaps you're top 25% performer, or a club VP/President).
I am. But there's not much serious activity, and hence benefits you obtain from joining the clubs. For instance, there's been zero activity since the Finance club president got a job him/herself. In comparison, clubs at the competitor school(s), based on my observations incl. chats with friends who go there, are much more organized and engaged in terms bridging students with employers through things like case comps or networking events.

2-How's your relationship with your cohort (do you know each other/have good relations with one another)?
Overall not bad.

3-How engaged are you with Career Management?
Little, as they are quite useless, to be honest. Zero value-add, period.

4-How did you prepare for "Get Connected" ? Can you share that experience?
Usual things. Experience was OK. Remember, most employers do this kind of events 100x a year across Canada, so it's not that Ivey/Ivey students get any advantage. What surprised me was that many companies (especially those in the world of finance/banking) came and told us they are unlikely to hire MBA graduates without internship experience.

5-Did you land any interviews with consulting firms at "Get Connected"?
Yes. Against, the legit firms are mostly prioritizing conversion of intern classes now vs. hiring from the outside incl. Ivey graduates, at least for fall recruitment.

6-What are your plans for finding a job?
Everyone's situation/case is different, so I won't say much here that may be of little value to the broader group.

Two more things I want to point out, which people may not tell you as part of the school's marketing:
- Your priority for an MBA is to obtain practical skill sets for professional progression, not a specific subject area in an academic manner. Otherwise you are better off doing a master of finance/accounting, etc degree
- You won't be able to appreciate how important it is to be physically in Toronto for networking and interviews, etc until you come to London. On the flip side, if companies come to Ivey, it's not often they send in their senior folks to London (they'd rather stay in Toronto). As a result, we often times end up "networking" with some young recent grads who are many years less experienced than many of us.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 21:07
Regarding job placement, just to share that <25% of the entire class 2020 have received offers (both good and bad offers) for fall on-campus recruitment. I don't know the stats for competitor schools, but you guys can figure out how Ivey compares with others.
Manager
Manager
S
Ivey(Ontario) Class of 2021(March 2020 intake): Calling all Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 06:12
collahola wrote:
Regarding job placement, just to share that <25% of the entire class 2020 have received offers (both good and bad offers) for fall on-campus recruitment. I don't know the stats for competitor schools, but you guys can figure out how Ivey compares with others.

collahola

That's really interesting. When I came down for the class visit in January of this year, the numbers for the matriculating class back then were around 40%, which is way higher than what you're reporting for your class.

Can you elaborate a little more on the offers?

I'm assuming most are for consulting/IB. Any other offers worth mentioning?

1. How many offers from MBB/Tier2/Boutique?
2. Is there any correlation you can draw as to why specific people got jobs while others didn't (high class average/case competition winners/club members/strong backgrounds/good behavioral etc..)

I'll be attending the Acess MBA event today and meeting with several schools + I'm coming down to London this Sunday as I have an interview for the class of 2021, so forgive me inquiring a little extra. You're free to PM me if you're more comfortable doing so.

Abdullah

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 06:55
I don't have the detailed breakdown.

Stats analysis is irrelevant. From my observations, majority of people aren't qualified. But if the employer's standards are low, they still stand a chance to move forward in the process.

Again, being physically not in places like Toronto is a massive massive disadvantage.

MBA is not about sitting in the classroom and learn how to derive black and scholes model. What matters is putting your face in front of people and talk. Otherwise you are just some black letters on a white paper.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ivey(Ontario) Class of 2021(March 2020 intake): Calling all Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2019, 06:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 86 posts ] 

Ivey(Ontario) Class of 2021(March 2020 intake): Calling all Applicants

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Pakman33