Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:43 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: LBS Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
I am a Commissioned Officer serving in Indian Navy since 2010.

Indian / Male/ 30 Years

Diploma in Textile Technology- 4.0 GPA

B Tech Textile Tech - 3.6 GPA/ Anna Univ, Chennai, India.

Work Ex.

7+ years Experience in Military and Naval operations, Navigating Warships, Public Administration, Project Management and HR Management.

International Experience:- Joint Exercises with Foreign Navies in South Africa, Kenya, Mozambique, Sir Lanka, Maldives ad Seychelles.

Performed as Team Leader in organising a Disaster Management and Relief Operations Exercises in Cape Town, South Africa.

6 months Diploma course in Fire Fighting, Nuclear, Chemical, Radiological and Biological Warfare.

Preparing for GMAT and targeting 700+

Active United Nations Volunteer.
Regularly Deliver Guest Lectures as an alumnus to my Under Grad College.

Performing Operations Executive's role in my brother's emerging start-up for last one year.

Will retire from Indian Navy in 2018 with 9 years of experience and looking forward to take MBA admission in 2019.

My target schools are:-

1. LBS
2. INSEAD
3. IMD
4. HBS
5. GSB Stanford
6. Rotman, UoT

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for spending your time in providing me such valuable inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
imemanik wrote:

Indian / Male/ 30 Years

Work Ex.

7+ years Experience in Military and Naval operations, Navigating Warships, Public Administration, Project Management and HR Management.

International Experience:- Joint Exercises with Foreign Navies in South Africa, Kenya, Mozambique, Sir Lanka, Maldives ad Seychelles.

Performed as Team Leader in organising a Disaster Management and Relief Operations Exercises in Cape Town, South Africa.

6 months Diploma course in Fire Fighting, Nuclear, Chemical, Radiological and Biological Warfare.

Performing Operations Executive's role in my brother's emerging start-up for last one year.

Will retire from Indian Navy in 2018 with 9 years of experience and looking forward to take MBA admission in 2019.

1. LBS
2. INSEAD
3. IMD
4. HBS
5. GSB Stanford
6. Rotman, UoT

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for spending your time in providing me such valuable inputs.

That looks pretty cool sir. A 730+ with good essays should get you a convert. All the best( From a Merchant Navy guy..:D)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks dude

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
imemanik wrote:

Indian / Male/ 30 Years

Work Ex.

1. LBS
2. INSEAD
3. IMD
4. HBS
5. GSB Stanford
6. Rotman, UoT

Hey there,

Short Answer : Coming from an Indian Navy background with such exemplary career record, you are cut above the rest as far your professional experience is concerned. We believe a good GMAT score, read 720+ can take you to colleges of your choice provided the essays are able to reflect the strength of your diversified experience.

Long Answer : Top MBA classes today generally have candidates from military background, therefore the competition in this segment too has become tough. However if we look specifically at your profile, you have a lot of peaks on your resume and diversity of your experience from HR experience to navigating warships makes you a strong contender for any of the top schools as mentioned by you. 2 promotions in 7 years make your profile even stronger.

However the question to ask is why do you need an MBA and that is the question the Admission Committee is going to ask you. Yes you do contribute immensely to the cohort through your experience and any MBA class would love to hear about your experiences but what is it in for you. How does this fit into your profile and therefore your career plans. From an Admission Committee perspective, you are already doing things which an MBA prepares you for, be it people management or leading projects etc.

Therefore apart from doing well on your GMAT, the key for you is to analyse the 'why MBA' and jot down to make a coherent story.

We recommend :

1) Acing your GMAT : A score of 720+ puts you on above par score for almost all top schools

2) Story boarding and answering the Why MBA : Start putting in place the key stories that you want to highlight in your essays and what sets you apart from other aspirants from similar background and how an MBA fits well with your career and personal aspirations.

We will be happy to take this discussion forward at connect@taterways.com.

Kind Regards,
Team Taterways
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Can anybody please evaluate my profile and suggest me which institutes should I target?

Indian female, age 31, work experience = 8 years

10th exam 86.4% (state board)
12th exam 77.8% (state board)
B.Tech in computer science & engineering 8.86 GPA (state university)
expected GMAT score: 680-720 (not taken yet)

work experience details:
administrative officer (IT) in a government owned insurance organization for 5 years, then promoted to assistant manager (IT) in the same organization after that (continuing to the same cadre till date). Work experience in reinsurance and allied actuarial field.

professional qualifications:
- fellow of general insurance from Insurance Institute of India
- student member of Faculty of Actuaries, UK [cleared CT1 (financial mathematics), CT3 (mathematical statistics), CT5 (contingencies) each one at first attempt]

achievements:
- qualified GATE exam with 94.62 percentile, all India rank 2251 (category - general)
- received certificates of merit from Indian Insurance Society for scoring distinction marks in 6 papers of fellowship exam
- nominated delegate to attend Global Insurance Rendezvous 2015 on SAARC perspective
- secured 5th rank in all India essay competition organized by Asia Insurance Review and GIC Re, essay got published in their book

publications:
wrote essays, articles in various blogs and journals (one in an international journal)

certifications:
undergone several certifications on R and Python to do data cleaning, student's t-test, ANOVA

volunteering:
helped an entrepreneural venture named 'Klathrate' on developing reinsurance portal through Micromentor
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Can anybody please evaluate my profile and suggest me which institutes should I target?

Indian female, age 31, work experience = 8 years

10th exam 86.4% (state board)
12th exam 77.8% (state board)
B.Tech in computer science & engineering 8.86 GPA (state university)
expected GMAT score: 680-720 (not taken yet)

work experience details:
administrative officer (IT) in a government owned insurance organization for 5 years, then promoted to assistant manager (IT) in the same organization after that (continuing to the same cadre till date). Work experience in reinsurance and allied actuarial field.

professional qualifications:
- fellow of general insurance from Insurance Institute of India
- student member of Faculty of Actuaries, UK [cleared CT1 (financial mathematics), CT3 (mathematical statistics), CT5 (contingencies) each one at first attempt]

achievements:
- qualified GATE exam with 94.62 percentile, all India rank 2251 (category - general)
- received certificates of merit from Indian Insurance Society for scoring distinction marks in 6 papers of fellowship exam
- nominated delegate to attend Global Insurance Rendezvous 2015 on SAARC perspective
- secured 5th rank in all India essay competition organized by Asia Insurance Review and GIC Re, essay got published in their book

publications:
wrote essays, articles in various blogs and journals (one in an international journal)

certifications:
undergone several certifications on R and Python to do data cleaning, student's t-test, ANOVA

volunteering:
helped an entrepreneural venture named 'Klathrate' on developing reinsurance portal through Micromentor
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
Hi everybody, is this still active?

In case it is, I would love a profile eval.

Background and nationality
Lebanese/Canadian, grew up in Egypt.

Undergrad Information:
US school ranked around 50. Picked it because it was the top ranked tennis program at the time (went on a tennis scholarship). 2.9 GPA as a business major. Was very focused on tennis as always wanted to turn pro and sort of neglected my grades.

GMAT:
760 (Q49, V46)

Work experience and leadership
Played on the pro tennis tour. Highest ranked player from my country and represented them on multiple occasions. Managed a family business for two years while doing rehab from injuries before cofounding a startup that has raised over $500K but yet to reach market.

Community and others
Mentored international student athletes as well as coaching junior tennis players from my country. Now consult for my national tennis federation to advise them on strategy. Also tutor kids for the ACT and help with college admissions.

Post MBA goals
MBB in London before working in Strategy and Operations for the ATP (global tennis board) to help grow the game in developing countries and fix the prize money issue at the lower levels of tennis.

Input would be very much appreciated.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bgbeidas

Very interesting profile, and excellent job on the GMAT!! That will help your case. When I look at the details you've provided, I am a little worried about your GPA because it's fairly far off the average of a program like LBS. However, you've done exactly what I would have advised and nailed the GMAT.

I think your background and startup work is also fascinating. I often tell people to look for ways to legitimize their startup work, and $500k in funding is certainly a great way of getting external confirmation of your startup's business model.

Your goal is a little non-traditional for an MBA though. It's very specific and LBS is not the first school that comes to mind when I think of sports. (I think Anderson, Stern, and CBS.) Make sure you really understand LBS' sports offerings to tell this story in a compelling way.

You seem like the type of person who would get a lot out of a free consult. You've definitely got an interesting story to tell, but there are some quirks that it would be helpful to explore in more detail. See the link in my profile to submit your details and our team will get in touch with next steps. I don't think you are based in London but on the off chance that you are, we are offering free, in-person, one-on-one consultations in London on Saturday, July 15, 2017. To sign up, please provide some basic information about your candidacy via the submission form at https://www.mbamission.com/consult. In the form, when asked if you have connected with an mbaMission consultant, please write “Schedule in London.” We will follow up with you within one business day to schedule.

Hope that helps!
Krista
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi there, it's been a long time, hope your stuff's sorted. In case you're still looking to apply, I would strongly recommend GyanOne consultancy.
You clearly have a strong profile and I'm sure you're perfectly capable of submitting a strong application. I was the exact same way, but the fine-tuning that these people do to your ideas and points is invaluable. It's just like working with a mentor who guides you through every step of the application process. Being busy with work/college, GMAT prep and college apps can get a little overbearing.. so it's wonderful to get friendly professional advice for our silly little questions.. Rishabh would even go out of his way to help with personal advice, and Swati was fantastic in interview prep. :)

I got my offer from LBS with scholarship! I'm grateful to GyanOne! They were worth every penny!
Would highly recommend these guys.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Background and nationality: 32,Male, Indian, currently working in UK

Undergrad Information: BE Computer Science from a state university with a private engineering college in 2007 with 64%.
GMAT: Yet to take

Work experience and leadership - 10 years of work experience into IT Industry, worked for Big international clients while working with TOP IT service providers.
10 years of work experience expands across domains like Life Sciences, CRM and Oil and Gas. Worked into technologies like Java, iOS Applications. Currently into Project Management with responsibilities like vendor management, stakeholder management, resource and budgets. Managed teams of size 20+ in a multi application environment. Currently deployed with a Oil Major in London looking after their trading needs.

Community and others:

Post MBA goals: Always having this urge to do an MBA as I always wanted to contribute more towards the leadership of an organization. To lead the information technology business to new heights.

Anything else?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi all! I would really like some insights about my profile:

- Male, brazilian, 32 yo
- Undergraduate in Business at a Top 3 brazilian school (plenty of alumni accepted by Top Business Schools)
- GPA: 2.6 (horrible, and no good reason)
- GMAT: 740

Work Experience:

- Capital Markets (Structured Finance) at a top local boutique (Real Estate focused)
* 4 years
* 3 promotions (from intern to Senior Analyst)
* Leading analyst in 8 projects (3 of them were really big ones)

- Capital Markets (Structured Finance) at a Start-Up (as a junior associate)
* 1 year
* Didn´t go well specially because of brazilian economic conditions at the time

- Capital Markets (Structured Finance) at a new boutique (Agribusiness focused)
* Junior Associate
* 2 years (until now)
* Company growing very fast
* Leading analyst of 4 projects

Extracurriculars:
* Writer at a blog focused on Political Education (8 articles published)
* 1 year working at a NGO focused on children education (led 2 new projects)

International Experience:
* 4 months working as a Sales Person at a clothing store in Las Vegas, US (during college vacation)
* 3 weeks studying spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina
* 2 weeks working ad a NGO (a organic farm) in Cape Town,South Africa
* I´m a european citizen (portuguese citizenship)

Other:
* Fluent spanish
* Short Course (graduate level) in Applied Statitics (at a top local college) - Final Grade: A
* HBx Core: Pass with High Honours

Post MBA objective:
* Investment Banking in Europe
Send PM
Expert Reply
the1whoknocks wrote:
Hi all! I would really like some insights about my profile:

- Male, brazilian, 32 yo
- Undergraduate in Business at a Top 3 brazilian school (plenty of alumni accepted by Top Business Schools)
- GPA: 2.6 (horrible, and no good reason)
- GMAT: 740

Work Experience:

- Capital Markets (Structured Finance) at a top local boutique (Real Estate focused)
* 4 years
* 3 promotions (from intern to Senior Analyst)
* Leading analyst in 8 projects (3 of them were really big ones)

- Capital Markets (Structured Finance) at a Start-Up (as a junior associate)
* 1 year
* Didn´t go well specially because of brazilian economic conditions at the time

- Capital Markets (Structured Finance) at a new boutique (Agribusiness focused)
* Junior Associate
* 2 years (until now)
* Company growing very fast
* Leading analyst of 4 projects

Extracurriculars:
* Writer at a blog focused on Political Education (8 articles published)
* 1 year working at a NGO focused on children education (led 2 new projects)

International Experience:
* 4 months working as a Sales Person at a clothing store in Las Vegas, US (during college vacation)
* 3 weeks studying spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina
* 2 weeks working ad a NGO (a organic farm) in Cape Town,South Africa
* I´m a european citizen (portuguese citizenship)

Other:
* Fluent spanish
* Short Course (graduate level) in Applied Statitics (at a top local college) - Final Grade: A
* HBx Core: Pass with High Honours

Post MBA objective:
* Investment Banking in Europe

Hello the1whoknocks
Firstly, nice handle!
Secondly -- so many thoughts for you! I feel like you would get a lot out of a free consult and suggest you set one up. (You do not have to schedule it with me and in fact, especially at this time of year, I just recommend scheduling it with the first available consultant.) https://www.mbamission.com/consult/
Now, great GMAT but low GPA. You've done the right thing in doing HBX Core. I love that you did that, actually. Schools will too. It will still be tough though. Write the optional essay that explains the 2.6 to the best of your ability.
I think you should of course go for LBS. Get the app in in R1 though and make sure to execute well. It's not impossible but it's not a sure thing either. You've posted here on this board so I don't know what else you're considering but I'd recommend trying Cornell and NYU as safer options that will still get you into Banking. Booth maybe as a stretch but still worth a shot -- in R1. Lean on your recommenders to make you out as more awesome than awesome. Full risk mitigation mode on the GPA, please!
Hope that helps!
Krista
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashishmathur14 wrote:
Background and nationality: 32,Male, Indian, currently working in UK

Undergrad Information: BE Computer Science from a state university with a private engineering college in 2007 with 64%.
GMAT: Yet to take

Work experience and leadership - 10 years of work experience into IT Industry, worked for Big international clients while working with TOP IT service providers.
10 years of work experience expands across domains like Life Sciences, CRM and Oil and Gas. Worked into technologies like Java, iOS Applications. Currently into Project Management with responsibilities like vendor management, stakeholder management, resource and budgets. Managed teams of size 20+ in a multi application environment. Currently deployed with a Oil Major in London looking after their trading needs.

Community and others:

Post MBA goals: Always having this urge to do an MBA as I always wanted to contribute more towards the leadership of an organization. To lead the information technology business to new heights.

Anything else?

Hi ashishmathur14
Thanks for posting! I live in the UK too! Now, I think you should follow up again when you have the GMAT because that will help guide this discussion. The other thing I want you to consider is Executive programs. At 10 years of experience, you are going to be much older than the average full-time MBA class and more experienced. Schools will worry that they might not be able to get you a job or teach an old dog (sorry) new tricks. Look at LBS's EMBA program and also Booth's EMBA program, which is right at Moorgate. Look at MIT Sloan Fellows in the US, a 1-year executive MBA program for candidates with 10+ years of experience. Also consider INSEAD, which has an average years of experience around 7.
I hope that helps! Best of luck!
Krista
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
Need help in evaluating my profile for LBS

Indian Female, 29 years.
Work Experience: 6+ years
Degree- B.Tech in Bioinformatics- which has no relevance to what I do now!
Work Ex includes: 4 years of Learning and development experience in corporate. Expert in customer communication skills. The remaining experience is very dynamic. Got elevated from an L&D professional to Program Manager, with an exciting journey of improving process in organization, rolling out a new Learning Management system( if that adds in product development) and improving cost and quality of the programs. Currently working out of Chairman's office, for a telecom VAS company worth 6 Bn Dollar in revenue. In the core team of organization, to roll out a new product in Fintech Space( new vertical).

Objective of attending LBS: Getting into consulting.

International Experience: a few visits to attend events, and meetings
Certificates: Executive Development Program from Kelloggs Northwestern( Full time residential- 21 days), ITIL V.3, and Prince2 Practitioner. Pursuing diploma from ISTD.

Extra Curricular: Not too many. I have been actively involved with NGOs, also mentor at Teach for India - for 'The Khvaab Project'
I do consulting with startups as a free lancer, especially in EdTech field.

Yet to take my GMAT. Expecting a score around 680-700.

Originally posted by ankitavijay on 28 Aug 2017, 07:53.
Last edited by ankitavijay on 28 Aug 2017, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Aman
you have quite good GMAT score 730 which is greater than average score at LBS

you should concentrate on application part now.

with 730 , you have quite fair chance to get selected in LBS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.51
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM

Originally posted by sefanana on 28 Aug 2017, 21:46.
Last edited by sefanana on 16 Dec 2018, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30