It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:28

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Literary critics are concerned by a recent trend in book

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Re: Literary critics are concerned by a recent trend in book [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 07:24
I think comparing the revenues wont evade the concern.The actual concern was on the number of books getting sold .As per D that comparison of revenue will give some insight , we will have to have one more assumption that the average price of the books are same.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 302

Schools: LBS '18
Literary critics are concerned by a recent trend in book [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 03:01
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
four321zero wrote:
Sorry but I'm still lost about the confusing wording of option D.

It says include the sales revenue of "genre books" ......... other than the ones in "genre category"

What is the difference between genre books and genre category books? Could somebody explain?

Here is what the argument and options tell you:

Fiction has 3 sub categories:
Genre (the popcorn fare),
Classics (High Lit value),
Others (Option D introduces this sub category)

The argument goes on to tell you that
the sales of genre books have increased dramatically over the last five years.
An analysis shows that the ratio of titles in the classic category:genre category has decreased over 5 yrs.
Average sales per title in the genre category have increased greatly over the last five years.

Critics fear that if current trends continue, genre books will dominate the market for fiction books

The question is "will genre books dominate the market for fiction books"? How do we find this out?

D. Find the sales revenues over the last five years both for genre books and for fiction books other than those in the genre or classic literature categories.

Find sales revenue over last 5 yrs for "genre books" and for "fiction other than genre or classic".
In other words, find sales revenue over last 5 yrs for "genre books" and for "others".

The point is that critics fear that genre will dominate fiction category. The argument compares genre sub category with classic sub category but gives no info on 'others' sub category which falls within fiction. When we don't know the role of 'others' in fiction, how can we say that 'genre' will dominate the fiction category?

With this information, read the argument and option (D) again. Does it make sense now?

VeritasPrepKarishma
Hi Karishma . Nice explanation
i just have one doubt .
the argument goes on
Literary critics are concerned by a recent trend in book publishing. The sales of genre books——lowbrow fare, such as romance novels, that critics contend have little literary value— —— have increased dramatically over the last five years. In fact, an analysis of the books stocked in bookstores shows that the ratio of titles in the classic literature category ——which includes books with high literary value by such authors as Dickens, Dostoyevsky, and Faulkner——to titles in the genre category has decreased over the same period. In addition, average sales per title in the genre category have increased greatly over the last five years. Critics fear that if current trends continue, genre books will dominate the market for fiction books, signaling a lamentable decrease in the quality of literature to which the average reader is exposed

The whole argument is concerned with the deplorable condition the quality of literature will be because of the decrease in sales of classic category and increase in sales of interesting time killing genre books.
If i have to evaluate as the question stem says will genre book dominate the market of fiction books
Certainly as you stated the "" others "" category i will go for it. What if someone else creeps around and makes the mess even bigger by increasing its sales.
But as far as the term Revenue is concerned this destroys my hopes of choosing answer D.
l. Given the inherent increase in the popuarity of "" other genre books "" the publishers decided that lets
increase the price of books to make more profit , but other fiction books remain same .Same can be true for all fiction books.The sales of the books remain the same .
Then how can we evaluate the argument? Revenue has definitely changed, but not because of the sales of any particular category book has increased or decreased ((( affecting the quality of literature))but because of the change in unit price of a book
Revenue is dependent on both the total sales and the unit price of any book. If revenue has increased it can connote both the increase in the sales ((keeping unit price constant)) or the the increase in unit price (( keeping sales constant))
please correct me if i am wrong .

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 302

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18133 [0], given: 236

Re: Literary critics are concerned by a recent trend in book [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 08:19
Ravindra.here wrote:
The whole argument is concerned with the deplorable condition the quality of literature will be because of the decrease in sales of classic category and increase in sales of interesting time killing genre books.

We are given - "Critics fear that if current trends continue, genre books will dominate the market for fiction books,"

This means that if the current trends of higher revenue per title continues in genre category (because of more sales or higher price or both is immaterial), more authors will write genre books and hence they will dominate the market. So the quality of literature available will decrease (because of too many genre books).
Sales means revenue.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18133 [0], given: 236

Re: Literary critics are concerned by a recent trend in book   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 08:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Literary critics are concerned by a recent trend in book

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap