Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [26]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [7]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: Long before Thomas Edison made a long-lasting and commercially viable [#permalink]
[quote="mikemcgarry"]Long before Thomas Edison made a long-lasting and commercially viable incandescent lightbulb, the British chemist Sir Humphry Davy in 1802 created the first prototype of the lightbulb, that was too bright and burned out too quickly.

(A) in 1802 created the first prototype of the lightbulb, that was

(B) made the first prototype in 1802, but it was

(C) had created in 1802 the first prototype of the lightbulb, although this would be

(D) had created the 1802 prototype, the first one, which had been

(E) in 1802 had made the first prototype, but this would be

Answer is B

If And/but/although are used in a sentence, than pronouns refers to the first noun or the main subject.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
Re: Long before Thomas Edison made a long-lasting and commercially viable [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
sudhirmadaan wrote:
Long before and had representing same time frame; thus had is not required, Between A and B, B is right Answer as in A ", that" is a problem. Please let me know if my reasoning is wrong

Dear sudhirmadaan,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, when you quote text, you need to use quote mark to set aside any quoted material. Here is how your wrote your first sentence:
Long before and had representing same time frame; thus had is not required.
This is how it should be written, to convey clarity:
"Long before" and "had" representing same time frame; thus "had" is not required.
When you are asking others for help, it's a simple courtesy to make your request as clear and understandable as possible. I like to use quotes and use a different color for added clarity.

In this question, choice (A) is problematic for two reasons. The first, as you identified, is the word "that: this would not be used following a comma, because it denotes a restrictive modifier. The second is that the phrase "first prototype of the lightbulb" is unnecessarily wordy, because it's clear that we already are discussing the lightbulb. The phrasing of (B) is much more elegant on this point.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

thanks mikemcgarry for explanation.
I will keep things in my mind
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Long before Thomas Edison made a long-lasting and commercially viable incandescent lightbulb, the British chemist Sir Humphry Davy in 1802 created the first prototype of the lightbulb, that was too bright and burned out too quickly.

(C) had created in 1802 the first prototype of the lightbulb, although this would be

The past perfect tense is one way to indicate that one past event happened before another. When is it necessary? permitted? redundant? For a discussion of these issues, as well as the OE for this particular question, see:
Past Perfect on GMAT Sentence Correction

Hi Mike. I have a doubt regarding choice B.
In this choice "it" refers to prototype. Prototype being too bright. In choice A that clearly refers to lightbulb and it makes perfect sense that bulb was too bright and used to burn out quickly. Can you please help me understand how A is wrong.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
sandysilva wrote:
In this choice "it" refers to prototype. Prototype being too bright. In choice A that clearly refers to lightbulb and it makes perfect sense that bulb was too bright and used to burn out quickly. Can you please help me understand how A is wrong.

Hi sandysilva,

I can jump in for Mike here! :-)

As he mentioned, A is wrong because the word "that" denotes a restrictive modifier. You can read about the difference between restrictive and non-restrictive modifiers here: That vs. Which on the GMAT. Since "that" is restrictive, it cannot be preceded by a comma. If we put a comma before a restrictive modifier, it essentially cuts off the sentence, and disconnects the modifier. So here,

Long before Thomas Edison made a long-lasting and commercially viable incandescent lightbulb, the British chemist Sir Humphry Davy in 1802 created the first prototype of the lightbulb, that was too bright and burned out too quickly.

The "that was too bright and burned out too quickly" is disconnected, by the comma, from "lightbulb", which means that it is not modifying "lightbulb" correctly. If the sentence instead used "which", which is non-restrictive, instead of "that", then that part of the sentence would be correct (there are still other stylistic issues with A, as Mike mentioned before). Again, please refer to that article I linked to for a detailed description of this :-)

Hope that helps!
-Carolyn
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MagooshExpert wrote:
sandysilva wrote:

Hi sandysilva,

I can jump in for Mike here! :-)

As he mentioned, A is wrong because the word "that" denotes a restrictive modifier. You can read about the difference between restrictive and non-restrictive modifiers here: That vs. Which on the GMAT. Since "that" is restrictive, it cannot be preceded by a comma. If we put a comma before a restrictive modifier, it essentially cuts off the sentence, and disconnects the modifier. So here,

The "that was too bright and burned out too quickly" is disconnected, by the comma, from "lightbulb", which means that it is not modifying "lightbulb" correctly. If the sentence instead used "which", which is non-restrictive, instead of "that", then that part of the sentence would be correct (there are still other stylistic issues with A, as Mike mentioned before). Again, please refer to that article I linked to for a detailed description of this :-)

Hope that helps!
-Carolyn

Hi MagooshExpert

I do get the logic on usage of That vs Which. But isn't the use of "it" ambiguous in option B. Because it can refer to the prototype.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rahul16singh28 wrote:
Hi MagooshExpert

I do get the logic on usage of That vs Which. But isn't the use of "it" ambiguous in option B. Because it can refer to the prototype.

Hi rahul16singh28!

"It" here isn't actually ambiguous, because "prototype", "prototype of the lightbulb" and "lightbulb" are all the same object. There aren't multiple objects being talked about. So "it" here is referring to this one object (whether we interpret that as "prototype" or "lightbulb"), which means there is no ambiguity.

Does that make sense? If not, let me know :-)
-Carolyn
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Long before Thomas Edison made a long-lasting and commercially viable [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:

The past perfect tense is one way to indicate that one past event happened before another. When is it necessary? permitted? redundant? For a discussion of these issues, as well as the OE for this particular question, see:
Past Perfect on GMAT Sentence Correction

Hi MagooshExpert,

Why is 'had' answer choice wrong. Can you explain. I ended up selecting 'D' because of 'had'.

Thanks,

ucb2k7
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ucb2k7 wrote:

Hi MagooshExpert,

Why is 'had' answer choice wrong. Can you explain. I ended up selecting 'D' because of 'had'.

Thanks,

ucb2k7

Hi ucb2k7!

Happy to help :-)

Because of "long before" in the sentence, the order of the events is already clear. We only need to use the past perfect ("had") when the order of the events is not completely explicit. So the "had" here is redundant, since we already know that the second action happened before the first.

This extra "had" is not strictly grammatically incorrect, just redundant. But that, combined with the fact that “the 1802 prototype, the first one” is extremely awkward and unclear, means that D is not the best choice.

Does that make sense? If not, let me know! :-)
-Carolyn
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [1]
Given Kudos: 212
WE:Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM