GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 16:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Many households have replaced at least one of their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Princeton Review Representative
Many households have replaced at least one of their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Sep 2013, 06:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:44) correct 50% (01:50) wrong based on 587 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many households have replaced at least one of their traditional gasoline powered cars with electric cars. It is thus clear to see that less gasoline is being used as a result of the operations of these households than they would have used if they had maintained their original cars.

which of the following, if true casts the most doubt on the argument above?

A) More gasoline was used to produce the new electric cars than was used to produce the traditional cars.

B) Many of the households that have replaced at least one of their traditional cars have decreased the amount of miles they drive.

C) Some of the households that have replaced at least one of their traditional cars use their electric car more often than their traditional car.

D) Electric companies use gasoline powered generators to produce at least some of the electricity they provide to their customers.

E) A fully charged electric car travels fewer miles than a gasoline powered car with a full tank.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Originally posted by BeckyRobinsonTPR on 16 Sep 2013, 21:22.
Last edited by BeckyRobinsonTPR on 17 Sep 2013, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
Re: Many households have replaced at least one of their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:07
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Verbal Experts,
I've a doubt- here A & D both are reasons for increase in gasoline usage which will eventually weaken the argument. But D states an usage that is bit far stretched from the context of the argument when compared to that of A, I think.

We're not concerned about electric companies,rather our concern is gasoline usage which is well fulfilled by the increased usage of gasoline due to the production of electric cars as mentioned in A.

Please clarify why still D is the OA!

b2bt wrote:
Doubt was between A&D because
D said some electricity and
in A the gasoline was used only to produce the car (as compared in gasoline cars the gasoline was being consumed throughout the life of the care)

I re read both of them and was about to choose D. But i read it again to confirm my answer.
This is when I saw the word more in option. From this I concluded that gasoline used to manufacture the car was more than the gasoline cars would use throughout thier lifetime.

Please explain what is the flaw in my reasoning

IMO D. Nice Question, Let me try.

Premise: Many households have replaced atleast one of their traditional gasoline cars with electric cars.

Conclusion: Thus, consumption of gasoline will be reduced because of the replacement operation.

B & C: Strengthens the conclusion
E: No effect on the conclusion

A: This choice is going beyond the scope. Because once cars are produced, the gasoline consumption depends on the type of car used extensively. What if, people are using electric cars on a daily use and traditional cars on weekends. The gasoline consumption v'll be reduced in the long run & this choice supports the author's point.

So, even if, more gasoline was initially required to produce the electric cars, it can be considered an initial investment.
Choice A doesn't hit the central assumption of the author: That after the replacement operation is done, gasoline consumption v'll reduce because more and more people will drive electric cars.

Coming to Choice D: More Electric cars on the roads means they need to be charged also on a daily or weekly basis. So, electricity companies v'll provide electricity to charge these electric cars but WAIT, they v'll use gasoline powered generators to produce that electricity. So, is the gasoline consumption reduced ? NO
It hurts the author's conclusion.

Hope it helps.

Originally posted by Gian on 17 Sep 2013, 10:40.
Last edited by Gian on 19 Sep 2013, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 01:42
Hi Verbal Experts,
I've a doubt- here A & D both are reasons for increase in gasoline usage which will eventually weaken the argument. But D states an usage that is bit far stretched from the context of the argument when compared to that of A, I think.

We're not concerned about electric companies,rather our concern is gasoline usage which is well fulfilled by the increased usage of gasoline due to the production of electric cars as mentioned in A.

Please clarify why still D is the OA!

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 !!! NEW !!!

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 07:17
Doubt was between A&D because
D said some electricity and
in A the gasoline was used only to produce the car (as compared in gasoline cars the gasoline was being consumed throughout the life of the care)

I re read both of them and was about to choose D. But i read it again to confirm my answer.
This is when I saw the word more in option. From this I concluded that gasoline used to manufacture the car was more than the gasoline cars would use throughout thier lifetime.

Please explain what is the flaw in my reasoning
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 09:53
I agree ... A should be the answer ... more obviously has more effect than some
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 10:39
D,

the question is not asking to compare the total amounts of gasoline used. If you read the argument carefully.

It is thus clear to see that less gasoline is being used as a result of the operations of these households than they would have used if they had maintained their original cars.

So apparently you should not care whether to produce the cars more gasoline was used or not. The only thing that casts a doubt on the argument is option D.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 11:25
I am not expert but trying to take a shot at it-

if electric car production takes 10 gallon more per car but traditional car use 20 gallon in its life time, than it does weaken the argument. So A does not cast enough doubt.
D is saying some gasoline is being used to generate electricity, which means it is not saving as much as projected.
Princeton Review Representative

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 13:20
The official answer is D.

You want an answer that says that less gasoline will not necessarily be the result of driving electric cars. See explanation for each answer choice below.

[quote="BeckyRobinsonTPR"]Many households have replaced at least one of their traditional gasoline powered cars with electric cars. It is thus clear to see that less gasoline is being used as a result of the operations of these households than they would have used if they had maintained their original cars.

A) More gasoline was used to produce the new electric cars than was used to produce the traditional cars. Gasoline used to PRODUCE the cars does not figure into use for operation. The cars have already been produced thus it does not weigh into gasoline consumption as a result of the operation.

B) Many of the households that have replaced at least one of their traditional cars have decreased the amount of miles they drive.This does not weaken the conclusion, and actually strengthens it slightly in that if they have decreased the miles, then it could be true that they used less gasoline

C) Some of the households that have replaced at least one of their traditional cars use their electric car more often than their traditional car.using the electric car more often would mean not using the gas powered car, thus it does not weaken the conclusion and could in fact strengthen

D) Electric companies use gasoline powered generators to produce at least some of the electricity they provide to their customers. if gasoline is used to produce electricity then that means that even using the electric car would result in consumption of gasoline. This weakens the conclusion because it shows that even though the households are not putting gasoline in their car, gasoline is being used to power it.

E) A fully charged electric car travels fewer miles than a gasoline powered car with a full tank. This does not weigh in the issue of how much gasoline is used.[quote]

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 14:51
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
Many households have replaced at least one of their traditional gasoline powered cars with electric cars. It is thus clear to see that less gasoline is being used as a result of the operations of these households than they would have used if they had maintained their original cars.

A) More gasoline was used to produce the new electric cars than was used to produce the traditional cars.

B) Many of the households that have replaced at least one of their traditional cars have decreased the amount of miles they drive.

C) Some of the households that have replaced at least one of their traditional cars use their electric car more often than their traditional car.

D) Electric companies use gasoline powered generators to produce at least some of the electricity they provide to their customers.

E) A fully charged electric car travels fewer miles than a gasoline powered car with a full tank.

No D is correct because in A

In D

This makes a huge difference. After all, we do not care about the comparison how was the production between the old and the ne car.

Nice question

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 22:05
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:

It was a tough split for me between (A) and (D). I chose (D) in the end because (A) is a one time expenditure of gas whereas (D) is a constant use of gas which can make up for the change in cars.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 06:22
But it is not 700 level, is it? I found the actual GMAT CR much harder even harder than the questions in GMAT prep. I think GMAT Prep should be upgraded. What do you guyz think?
Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 10:49
Conclusion clearly states "thus clear to see that less gasoline is being used as a result of the operations..."

Thus, we are concerned with the recurring use of gasoline going forward and usage from past.

Thus, D
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2014, 22:09
Agree with D.Great explanation provided by TPR representative,Becky Robinson!
Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2014, 01:17
Clearly D is the right answer: (2:17)

"being used as a result of the operations of these households"

Manufacturing does not counts into operations of these households.. though it was a tempting option ... keywords plays crucial roll in rejecting such a choice.

Yes above choice clearly raise doubt that gasoline used as a result of the operations of these households is not reduced compared to previous condition.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2014, 09:34
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
The official answer is D.

You want an answer that says that less gasoline will not necessarily be the result of driving electric cars. See explanation for each answer choice below.

BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:

A) More gasoline was used to produce the new electric cars than was used to produce the traditional cars. Gasoline used to PRODUCE the cars does not figure into use for operation. The cars have already been produced thus it does not weigh into gasoline consumption as a result of the operation.

B) Many of the households that have replaced at least one of their traditional cars have decreased the amount of miles they drive.This does not weaken the conclusion, and actually strengthens it slightly in that if they have decreased the miles, then it could be true that they used less gasoline

C) Some of the households that have replaced at least one of their traditional cars use their electric car more often than their traditional car.using the electric car more often would mean not using the gas powered car, thus it does not weaken the conclusion and could in fact strengthen

D) Electric companies use gasoline powered generators to produce at least some of the electricity they provide to their customers. if gasoline is used to produce electricity then that means that even using the electric car would result in consumption of gasoline. This weakens the conclusion because it shows that even though the households are not putting gasoline in their car, gasoline is being used to power it.

E) A fully charged electric car travels fewer miles than a gasoline powered car with a full tank. This does not weigh in the issue of how much gasoline is used.
Quote:

Isn't this a little bit reaching too far?
The question is did the consumption of gas decline due to the families buying these electric cars.
If, for a regular car, 1 L of gas lasted for 10 KM, and for an electric car, 1 L of gas produces enough electricity to drive 20 KM, than the consumption was still reduced!
No?
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 20:10
we need an answer that would show why the consumption of gasoline has not decreased.
A talks about one-time usage, when the cars are manufactured. still not a good weakener, as the gasoline saved might be > than the gasoline used during the manufacturing process.
B - this would strengthen the argument.
C - some - ambiguous, as it might be 1-100. clearly, if people use more often/drive more, then they do not save much. moreover, comparison is between usage of regular cars vs. electric cars. so not what we need.
D - looks good. to generate power, we need gasoline, thus, the consumption is not decreased.
E - irrelevant
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 01:12
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
I am not expert but trying to take a shot at it-

if electric car production takes 10 gallon more per car but traditional car use 20 gallon in its life time, than it does weaken the argument. So A does not cast enough doubt.
D is saying some gasoline is being used to generate electricity, which means it is not saving as much as projected.

Yes, and the other problem with A is that it addresses the production, not the consumption, of electric cars.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 03:26
Are we not assuming while discarding option B (and saying that it strengthens the argument) that the decrease in the amount of miles driven is due to the replacement of gasoline powered cars with electric ones? If the distance driven was going to be reduced regardless then the decrease in consumption of gasoline would've happened even without the replacement?

B seems like the tricky answer.

D says that electric companies use gasoline to produce "at least some" electricity but that does not mean that gasoline is being used more or less compared to when gasoline powered cars were being used!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 17:30
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:

----------------------------
Explanation by Gian.

IMO D. Nice Question, Let me try.

Premise: Many households have replaced atleast one of their traditional gasoline cars with electric cars.

Conclusion: Thus, consumption of gasoline will be reduced because of the replacement operation.

B & C: Strengthens the conclusion
E: No effect on the conclusion

A: This choice is going beyond the scope. Because once cars are produced, the gasoline consumption depends on the type of car used extensively. What if, people are using electric cars on a daily use and traditional cars on weekends. The gasoline consumption v'll be reduced in the long run & this choice supports the author's point.

So, even if, more gasoline was initially required to produce the electric cars, it can be considered an initial investment.
Choice A doesn't hit the central assumption of the author: That after the replacement operation is done, gasoline consumption v'll reduce because more and more people will drive electric cars.

Coming to Choice D: More Electric cars on the roads means they need to be charged also on a daily or weekly basis. So, electricity companies v'll provide electricity to charge these electric cars but WAIT, they v'll use gasoline powered generators to produce that electricity. So, is the gasoline consumption reduced ? NO
It hurts the author's conclusion.
----------------------

It is a good explanation. But.
So, Gian says that in optopn A we have consider the initially required gasoline for production of electric cars an initial incestment, but in a long run gasoline consumption will be reduced and it supports the aauthor's point.

Ok. Option D says that "Electric companies use gasoline powered generators to produce at least some of the electricity"
Sure. Lets assume that this "some" is equal to 5%. And another 95% is produced by solar generator. And these 5% will be never bit up the amount of gasoline that the owners of electricity cars saved by buying these cars.
So, actually it strenghens the author's conlusion, not casts doubt on it.

How are you, people, who chose the option D, so sure that this is the clear answer?

Now, about the accent on words "as a result of the operations of these households". Some of you did it, some not.
I did it, an I chose option B. Witt the same reasoning as an author 1 post above me, asavrud, has
----------------
Are we not assuming while discarding option B (and saying that it strengthens the argument) that the decrease in the amount of miles driven is due to the replacement of gasoline powered cars with electric ones? If the distance driven was going to be reduced regardless then the decrease in consumption of gasoline would've happened even without the replacement?

B seems like the tricky answer.

D says that electric companies use gasoline to produce "at least some" electricity but that does not mean that gasoline is being used more or less compared to when gasoline powered cars were being used!
----------------

Where are we wrong?
GMAT Club Bot
Many households have replaced at least one of their &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 17:30

Many households have replaced at least one of their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap