GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 16:24
@xinxin217
Hello and thanks for your post.
The application process is truly holistic, and committees will look at your stats (GPA and GMAT), work experience, and extracurriculars.

Your GPA and GMAT are strong, so that is a great start. And you do not have to, but if you haven’t already, I suggest taking it up to 3-4 times. You have nothing to lose since schools will only look at your highest score. And even a slight increase can boost your profile.
It is hard to gauge your work experience without knowing your accomplishments and impact you have made there. It sounds like you have two impressive future options to consider. However, choose either the autonomous driving company or the fintech start-up based on your own preference, as opposed to what would “look” better in the eyes of an admissions committee. It is much more important to show an MBA program that you made an impact and took on leadership roles in that role. It is also important to illustrate in your essays why, based on your experience, you need an MBA. So as long as you can show that you did well in your role, and that it now makes sense for you to get an MBA – and that you have clear, realistic, and specific post-MBA goals - it doesn’t matter which company you chose.
Also, the average years of work experience is closer to 5, so if you choose to apply with fewer years, make sure you demonstrate why now is the time. And because of your lighter experience, it’s even more important to show you have made an impact and demonstrated leadership there. Ideally this will be supported by a strong recommendation letters as well.
Regarding extracurriculars, make sure to really emphasize your leadership roles you have taken on.
If you continue to strengthen your profile, you do have a chance at top schools, but they are extremely competitive, and each school simply does not have the room to admit all the world's qualified applicants. For that reason, I suggest apply to several schools, including reach, target and safety. Hopefully they will see that you have a compelling story and are someone who will add value to the classroom and community.
If you would like to discuss your story or anything else in greater detail, please sign up for a free consultation. It is never too early to get started.
Good luck!

Hi All,
This is my first post and would appreciate a profile evaluation. Targeting R2 2019 or R1 2020.

Background and nationality: Chinese Male

Undergrad Information: Pomona College GPA: 3.6

GMAT: 750

Work experience: 2+ year working as software development engineer at Microsoft (Azure SQL Data Team) and about to transition to either a US-based autonomous driving company as software engineer (think of Cruise, Zoox) or a fintech start-up in Southeast Asia as AI engineer with a product management track. Question: which one is better from MBA admission perspective?

Extracurricular: started own student club on campus (100+ members) , college alumni interviewer, community involvement

Post MBA goals: Tech or VC

Thank you for your help![/quote]

Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Intern
Intern
Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 20:34
Hi all,

would greatly appreciate it if somebody could provide their informed opinion:

Background and nationality: Asian Male aged 27, Chinese citizen, have lived in France for about 8 years and come back to China last year
Undergrad Information: a top 20 French Engineering school (Grande Ecole), major in material science and semiconductor engineering, low GPA but french GPA not covertible into a 4.0 system...
GMAT: 760, 51Q41V, 8IR,4.5AWA
Toefl: 105 (will retake this June)
Work experience and leadership: 2 years in France at a boutique consulting/market research company, then 6 month in a competitor in Shanghai/Munich, Now works almost 1 year in a China PE fund for outbound investment (who carried out the largest semi deal in China), closed first deal last month...
Community and others: nothing significant, punctual volunteering work, and some foreign student association activities back in Europe
Post MBA goals: enter a us/ldn/hk ibd tmt team and then pivot to corporate M&A for a tech company in the long run

any comment would be appreciated
Best regards
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 08:03
Hi Maeksense,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Congrats on a great GMAT!

I really like that you have international experience, which you will want to emphasize in your applications. You will also want to emphasize the type of work you do/have done in relation to your future career plans. As to your objective, I encourage you spend a bit of time fleshing out your need for an MBA and specifically your need for a Wharton MBA.

A challenge you will face is your "low GPA." You might want to consider coursework you can enroll in between now and application season to help boost your academics (think HBS's CORe and not so much Coursera/Edx). Also, be sure to address your GPA in an addendum come application season - not as a way to present yourself as a victim, but only present the facts.

As to your community work, you might want to spend some time there - not sure what "punctual volunteering work" means, nor do I know if this is something you are currently involved in, but see if you can increase the scope of your responsibilities, especially as they relate to your passions.

I am happy to continue the conversation over a profile evaluation call, so I can get a better idea of your experiences and guide your pre-MBA prep work. If interested, please reach out.

Good luck!

Maeksense wrote:
Hi all,

would greatly appreciate it if somebody could provide their informed opinion:

Background and nationality: Asian Male aged 27, Chinese citizen, have lived in France for about 8 years and come back to China last year
Undergrad Information: a top 20 French Engineering school (Grande Ecole), major in material science and semiconductor engineering, low GPA but french GPA not covertible into a 4.0 system...
GMAT: 760, 51Q41V, 8IR,4.5AWA
Toefl: 105 (will retake this June)
Work experience and leadership: 2 years in France at a boutique consulting/market research company, then 6 month in a competitor in Shanghai/Munich, Now works almost 1 year in a China PE fund for outbound investment (who carried out the largest semi deal in China), closed first deal last month...
Community and others: nothing significant, punctual volunteering work, and some foreign student association activities back in Europe
Post MBA goals: enter a us/ldn/hk ibd tmt team and then pivot to corporate M&A for a tech company in the long run

any comment would be appreciated
Best regards

Contact us for a free consultation
Intern
Intern
Chances for Wharton/Lauder (Ways to Improve)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 19:40
Hello!
Long long shot here but I feel like the Wharton Lauder program is the only program that fits both my passion and goals.

I graduated from a state school in California with a BS in Animal Science and a BA in History. My cumulative GPA came out to 3.13 but my History GPA is around a 3.7. I also have a minor in Asian Studies and am proficient in Japanese.
After graduating, I’ve been working as a research associate at a reputable hospital for two years. I’m on my way to publishing 3-4 papers this year.
I haven’t taken the GMAT but practice tests have me at 720-740.

Do I still have a shot at this program with a low GPA and no business experience? Thank you in advance!

Posted from my mobile device
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Chances for Wharton/Lauder (Ways to Improve)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 04:51
Hi Megasnowglobe,

Thank you for your question. Can you share more details about your role as a research associate, and what your goals are? If you prefer a private discussion, please feel free to reach out (info@siaadmissions.com).

Contact us for a free consultation
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q162 V164

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 06:16
Hi everyone,

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Applying to:
• Harvard | Stanford GSB | Wharton

Profile:
• 24 year old Indian male.
• Top Engineering college (and consistently top 10 globally in overall rankings) in the UK (integrated masters: Bachelors + Masters in 4 years. This is common in the UK). Masters in Economics & Finance at Oxford/Cambridge.
• Top 20% of my class at Engineering school (First Class Honours - equivalent to 3.8+ GPA)
• GMAT 750 (Q50V41)
• Summer internships: 1 in the technology division of an American bank; 1 on the the trading floor of a bulge bracket investment bank. Both in London.
• Will be joining Bain London office as a pre-MBA hire. (SO WILL APPLY TO HSW IN 2-3 YEARS)

Extracurriculars:
• Took a year off before starting work at Bain London to go climb some of the highest mountains across the Himalayas and Andes (not trekking - actual climbing from bottom to the top). Here, I climbed with and met strangers from all over the world (America, Canada, Nepal, UK, Argentina, Brazil). I was trained by the Indian Army Mountaineering team for a month long course at Asia's #1 mountaineering institute where I received an 'A' grade (top of my class). Also, one of the youngest Indian's to climb the highest mountain outside Asia and was selected as the youngest member of a joint Indian-Canadian expedition to Mt. Everest until I got injured during training prior to the climb and had to pull out.

• Recently co-founded a social venture which provides a platform to pair students looking for help with jobs/college admissions with mentors in universities/jobs they want in exchange for donations to charity. Have raised $20,000 for mental health & education charities.

• Additionally, I mentored 15+ URM college applicants from Europe, India, & the US for undergraduate college admissions & internships in finance/consulting. Over 90% of them received offers to top 5 UK universities, & their top-choice internships.

• Board member (youngest) of a non-profit that offers free STEM education to 100,000+ young people that were denied access to education due to war, poverty, disability or gender.

Awards & Honours:
• Won 3-4 "Young leader" type awards. One of them was for being in the top 100 future leaders from British universities (100 out of 1000+ nominations UK wide); Another was Top 100 future UK leaders out of 7000+ nominations from over 150 UK colleges.

Post-MBA goal: Return to Bain for 2 years then move into VC analysing investments in the EdTech space in India.

Other factors: I've applied twice for the 2+2/Stanford Deferred programs unsuccessfully (no interviews). Once in my final year of undergrad, once right after that during my 1-year masters. Will this go against me in 2-3 years when I apply as a regular applicant?

Thank you for your time. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2019, 06:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 106 posts ] 

Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: gmatexam439, rohan2345

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap