Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 824 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Need Advice to Boost Quant score- 660 (Q46 V35) [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC: Hi Rich, Thanks for the comment.I feel that I can improve my quant score to 48 and verbal score to 36.But I am not sure.Yesterday, during the test, for some unknown reason I was consistently getting easy questions in quant up to question number 20.(Simple questions involving basic simplification, equation solving, Number problems) questions types that I have already practiced. I even rechecked all my answers before marking up to Q 20 in Quant.I had to guess in 4-5 questions.
And for verbal, I always thought I was strong in SC and CR but could not complete the section and had to guess on the last 3 questions. I also faced similar issues in all my gmat preps, I was not able to finish the section in any of the prep tests.

I am re-attempting the exam again next month.Can you suggest some tips to boost my score to 680-690. I have not decided on Business Schools to apply but I am primarily interested in schools in India and Singapore .

Thanks,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DH99,

It's important to note that just because you think a question is 'easy' does not necessarily mean that that question is "low level." Since the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, with the proper studies (and a decent memory), you'll find that almost everything that you face on the Official GMAT will remind you of questions that you've already answered and work that you've already done. That having been said, trying to define the 'level' that you are at at any particular point in the GMAT is a waste of your time (so you shouldn't try to do it). The pacing issue that you describe in the Quant section is at least partially due to the fact that you felt compelled to double-check your work on at least half of the questions. Were you prone to making lots of little mistakes on your recent practice CATs? If that was the case, then you now know what you need to work on to score higher: taking proper notes, doing all of the necessary work on the pad (and not "in your head") and labeling your work.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC: Hi Rich, Yes, I was doing quite a lot silly mistakes in my gmat preps during the middle section and in the last questions,where I almost always run out of time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DH99,

A Q46 implies that you did really well on most of the "math" questions that you faced, but you would have missed out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' points. Thus, the next phase of your studies should probably focus a bit more on Quant Tactics, pattern-matching, etc. Beyond those points, you also have the potential to pick up some points in the Verbal section, so you shouldn't spend all of your time on the Quant.

1) Have you scheduled your next GMAT yet?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich,
Thanks for your comment:

1) Have you scheduled your next GMAT yet? Yes, Sept 6th
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week? 5 to 6 hours
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi DH99,

Your next Test Date is a little over 2 weeks away. From what you've stated, you don't plan to study much more than about 10-15 hours during that time though. Does that include the time that you would spend taking and reviewing any practice CATs? I ask because while you're relatively close to your score goal right now, you haven't planned to study much more. If you've developed any 'bad habits' (that are currently keeping you from scoring higher), it will likely take longer to define those bad habits (and 'fix' them) than you've allotted.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HI Rich,

Yes, that time includes the time that I would spend taking and reviewing practice CATs.I plan on giving many practice tests this time.(8 or9) Including Gmatprep 3 and 4. Do u think I should postpone my test date to give myself more time to study.

Thanks,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DH99,

A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week. By extension, your plan to take "8 or 9" CATs in the next 2 weeks is NOT a good idea.

Your 2 GMAT scores are so similar that unless you've made some significant changes to how you handle the Exam, I suspect that you will continue to score in the mid-600s. Until we can properly define WHY you're currently scoring at this level, and make the necessary improvements to how you handle the Quant and/or Verbal sections, I think that you will probably need more study time than the 2 weeks that you have left (so you should consider pushing back your Test Date). That choice is ultimately up to you though. If you score in the 640-660 range again, will you retest?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts