Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [1]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Need help going from 730+ [#permalink]
Pieman3897 wrote:
Hi All,

I recently took the GMAT and scored a 730 (Q47 and V42). I was happy with my verbal score, but quite disappointed in my Quant score as I was used to scoring 48+ on GMAT prep tests. I thought I could do better, so i took the exam again in 3 weeks... and ended up doing worse (Q47 and V41). In between I got OG questions and just did hard / medium problems. I was doing fine and honestly thought my first test was a fluke, so I was not really worried, but now I am definitely down in the dumps.

I noticed that each time I was actually struggling to finish questions in both sections within the time allotted. I have NEVER had this problem in my practice, which is why it continues to shock me. Both times I knew in the middle of the test that things were not going well as it seemed that the RC and CR questions were way harder than the OG questions, and I was taking way too long to solve them. Same thing for math. I have done the TTP quant course and Manhatten SC and PowerScore verbal guide. I did not really find the verbal guides that helpful, as they were just basic facts with easy questions at the end.

I only have one more shot to take the test in another 2.5 weeks, but really need to get 750+. Any guidance on what I should / how I should tackle studying? Should I get questions from other programs and just attempt hard ones and try to go even faster when solving?

Congrats for the nice score.
Quote:
PowerScore verbal guide

for what? is it for CR or RC or SC? if it is for RC then the book is perfectly fine to me. if it is for CR, i don't like it because it forces to master the rules. Mastering CR rules does not help at all. CR is all about logic that we generally use in everyday life.
Quote:
I did not really find the verbal guides that helpful

which verbal guide are you talking about?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Pieman3897 wrote:
Hi All,

I recently took the GMAT and scored a 730 (Q47 and V42). I was happy with my verbal score, but quite disappointed in my Quant score as I was used to scoring 48+ on GMAT prep tests. I thought I could do better, so i took the exam again in 3 weeks... and ended up doing worse (Q47 and V41). In between I got OG questions and just did hard / medium problems. I was doing fine and honestly thought my first test was a fluke, so I was not really worried, but now I am definitely down in the dumps.

I noticed that each time I was actually struggling to finish questions in both sections within the time allotted. I have NEVER had this problem in my practice, which is why it continues to shock me. Both times I knew in the middle of the test that things were not going well as it seemed that the RC and CR questions were way harder than the OG questions, and I was taking way too long to solve them. Same thing for math. I have done the TTP quant course and Manhatten SC and PowerScore verbal guide. I did not really find the verbal guides that helpful, as they were just basic facts with easy questions at the end.

I only have one more shot to take the test in another 2.5 weeks, but really need to get 750+. Any guidance on what I should / how I should tackle studying? Should I get questions from other programs and just attempt hard ones and try to go even faster when solving?

Hello, Pieman3897. I like the advice that Marty gave above. I have highlighted a few talking points from your earlier post that I will chime in on. Too many people—especially those shooting for a score that reaches into the mid-700s or higher—place too much emphasis on Hard questions when Easy and Medium questions are the real key to performing your best. You get the fundamentals in place with these lower-level questions, and then you apply the same chain of reasoning to upper-level material—you have to appreciate that the task is no different just because the answer may be better disguised. You might also find this old debrief from a perfect scorer to be of interest. The line that stood out to me the most the first time I read it, the same line that the author himself highlighted in boldface, is the following:

Quote:
One unforeseen consequence of reviewing only super-hard questions is that I lost my confidence.

Keep in mind that the GMAT™ is a psychological game as well as a test of critical reasoning. The better you feel about your process of arriving at an accurate conclusion, the better you will become at executing that process. I would advise you not to focus on the clock so much, especially in this first week of preparation. Just make sure you are working at getting to the bottom of each problem you miss or struggle with. (Maybe you got it right on a guess or did, in fact, need a lot of extra time to figure it out.)

Finally, if you place undue stress on yourself to achieve an ultra-high score within a shortened timeframe, you will be less likely to achieve that goal. Remember that psychological component I mentioned before. It affects everyone, but the highest scorers simply seem to have a way to push past worrying about how hard the test is. I enjoyed reading this article from GMATNinjaTwo in which the author discusses how his score had more or less flatlined in his quest to achieve an 800 because he was, in his own words, "terrified of failure." It was not until he went in with a different mindset—not so much a skillset—that he broke through and came within a hair of achieving his goal. In his words,

Quote:
Then a funny thing happened. I had given up on trying to control everything, and the pressure -- and my drive for perfection -- seemed to diminish. I no longer expected a great GMAT score, so I wasn’t nearly as paranoid about making mistakes. Instead of second guessing my every move and timidly tip-toeing through the GMAT trying to avoid a misstep, I “let ‘er rip” -- when I wasn’t 100% sure about an answer, I shrugged it off and moved on to the next question.

The result? My best GMAT score to date: a 790 (50Q, 51V).

I hope all of this information helps you over the course of the next few weeks. Practice questions, yes, but do not discriminate by difficulty or focus only on the most challenging ones. And do not forget to review. This key aspect of preparation is one that most students, even 95th-percentile students, overlook in their quest to reach greater heights.

I hope you find the above information useful. Good luck with your preparation. Credit to kntombat for calling my attention to the matter.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate them. If I want to take the test again in two - three weeks, would you recommend an 2 hours or so of studying a day, which would consist of just doing practice problems and then reviewing key concepts that i missed?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi there,

A few thoughts.

First and foremost, you say you really need to get a 750+, when I assure you, you do not. You *want* to get a 750+. But the 730 you've already gotten will make you a competitive applicant at any school in the country. I know, I know, you're in an overrepresented group, etc. etc. etc., it doesn't matter. You can get in with a 730.

The best thing this does for you is it takes the pressure off. Go for the 750+, but realize it's just for your own drive. You can treat it as a game. There's no downside to it.

I've told students in your situation before to step away from studying entirely, take a few weeks off, go in day of the test and take a swing. Putting too much pressure on this thing is a surefire way to get burned by it! (...It's like dating that way). Especially since you've taken some practice tests before that had higher scores, you know you're capable of doing it. I promise you won't 'forget' how to take the test in two weeks, particularly if you've been studying for a while.

You mention there have been some timing issues on the official tests, which--depending on how bad they were--indicates to me that maybe you're overinvesting in some questions, still. It's important for you to know what a 750+ looks like. You won't miss many fewer questions--particularly in quant. If you're going into the test with the mindset of "I need to try to get every question right," you're going to drastically overinvest in some questions, and this will hurt your timing. You still need to plan on strategically guessing and moving on.

I can't post links yet, but if you search the MPrep Blog, Stacey Koprince wrote a great piece on the difference between a 700 and a 760 that you might find helpful.

To get more specific advie for you, it would help to have some data. Did you happen to get an ESR? Do you have any sense what kinds of questions/topics/strategies tend to trip you up most?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Need help going from 730+ [#permalink]
Thank you all. I did end up getting two ESRs. Each time my % correct in the first 3 sections of the test was good (75% - 86%), but then when I got to the last section my % correct dropped to below 50%. Funny enough, in my breakdown between time spent on correct answers vs incorrect, I always spend way more time on the incorrect questions. I think this is a function of me knowing I can solve the question and having difficulty giving up, and then realizing 3 min have passed, and then I end up guessing anyways.

Further, I did pretty bad on geometry both times (below 30%), but when i went to TTP and did a geometry chapter test I got above 90% and finished each question answering at a pace of 1:25. So not sure how to prep. I am going to go through all the old questions I have, do them again, and basically try to stay on top of the material. And then, just walk in and take the test with no care about score. Think I need to trust my gut more and not spend extra time ensuring I have the right answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Need help going from 730+ [#permalink]