Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [14]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Not a 700 story - 470 TO 630 and RSM. Never Give Up [#permalink]
Kudos
TheVaguelyCurious,

Congrats for your achieving your dream school. This is the most important issue. RSM is really a great school. I have been in my country with the Dean of the RSM on F-2-F meeting for 1.5 hr, although it was scheduled for 30 min. He was a great and humble professor. My friends who work in Netherlands talk about it with respect. Some Dutch executives consider its the only management school that they trust. My advice to is to utilize the 4th semester through exchange program.

Have you secured any scholarship with RSM?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Re: Not a 700 story - 470 TO 630 and RSM. Never Give Up [#permalink]
Kudos
Mo2men that is really great to know, thanks for the encouraging words. I did research quite extensiely about RSM and it certainly is worth al the hard work.

For the scholarships, I had already made necessary financial arrangements before the applications so I ended up not really applying for one. Although even if I had applied, given my rather average academic background, I doubt I would've received any scholarship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Anderson '19
Send PM
TheVaguelyCurious wrote:
To begin with, I'd like to clarify this is not a guide on how to get a 700 score. Instead, I just wish to share my story, hoping to help someone who may be in a similar position feeling hopeless.

I began my journey in quarter 2 of 2016 by deciding to quit my job and focus all my attention on making it to a good school. My priority was to not settle for a sub-standard school and aim for a top 50 school (I referred FT rankings). Soon in my research I realized that MBA was not for me - fees were too high, I only had 2 years of work experience and my past academic record was merely above average. Eventually, I set my eyes on Masters in Management (MiM) as it perfectly met my requirements and I was a much competitive candidate in that pool.

Naturally, the 1st step was GMAT prep. Due to financial limitations, joining a test-prep course was out of question. Instead, I decided to give myself more time and started self-studying. I made use of all the free material available online and only purchased the OG 17 and a bunch of mock tests from Veritas prep. After a basic round of prep and familiarizing myself with the subject matter, I gave the first diagnosis mock test - 470. I had a long, long way to go. Nevertheless, I had time so I put myself to work.

For the next 3 months, I put myself under an intense regime - 8 to 10 hours of studying per day, exercise, ample sleep, regulated diet and stipulated time for research. The mock scores rose gradually - 520, 540, 570, 600, 610, 640. Things seemed to be working and I felt confident about achieving my target score of 700. Here, I'd like to mention the huge contribution of prep forums like GMATclub which really empowered me to be able to tutor myself. Things were going well, however, a bit too slow. I had hit the dreaded mid-600's plateau with my max score being a 660 and the scheduled test being just 15 days away. I decided to stick with the scheduled date (wanted to apply in round 1) and gave myself a final boost with advanced prep for about 10 days involving flash cards, post-it's stuck all over my room, longer hours of studying and detailed analysis of error logs. In the week leading up to the test I only worked on my usual errors through light practice.

On the day of the test, I made sure I took care of the most miniscule of things like diet, hydration, easy travel, soothing music, etc. For required documents I rechecked GMAC's website which mentioned any of these would do - passport, driver's license, any Govt. issued ID card or military ID card. To be safe, I carried my driver's license, unique identification card and even the card with the Permanent Account Number; assuming these are more than enough. And with the fear of misplacing it, I did not carry the passport. DISASTER STRUCK! I was turned away from the exam center because I did not carry the passport which was apparently the only acceptable id proof in my country. Now, I understand my mistake and take full responsibility but I really believe, a company that charges $250 for a test which is so crucial and intimidating, can at least allow an alternate proof of identification and/or highlight such conditions significantly on the website / appointment mail. The webpage on the official website mentions all the accepted forms of identification first, then highlights the unacceptable forms, then some more text and only in the last line, right at the bottom of the page, they mention 'Country Specific Regulations', which links to three other webpages to finally state exactly which identification you require (a case of terrible UX/UI). That was a real low point; three months of test prep and $250 wasted. The next day, I went back to practicing and now re-scheduled the test for a month later, so that I could prepare harder.

One month passed like a breeze. Even though my mocks did not show much improvement in that period, I was feeling more confident this time and had better clarity about the concepts. Finally, after close to five months of prep, I gave the dreaded test - 630. To be honest, I wasn't satisfied, a part of me was disappointed. But there was no way I could afford another attempt or study material; this is what I had to work with. So, without wasting any more tie, I began the application process.

This was the game changer for me. I applied in six different schools and spent almost a week or two on each application. The key here, in my opinion, is to keep editing, re-editing, tweaking and polishing your essays. Even though the schools ask you to showcase yourself through the essays, I feel it is more important to actually build on your real personality and showcase yourself more like how the schools want. I am aware this may not be a very popular opinion but when it's about achieving your goals, you better put your best foot forward. I ended up getting offers from four of these schools and after plenty of evaluation, I chose to go with RSM, Netherlands (which by the way was no. 2 on my preference and I thought my chances were pretty slim).

This is not a story about succeeding with flying colors but this is one for those who are struggling to go above average or have already given the test and are disappointed with a lower 600's score. GMAT is definitely a crucial aspect of the application but it certainly isn't all. It pains me to see people giving attempt after attempt just to achieve a particular score. If attaining GMAT merit is your ultimate goal, then sure, go for it. But for most people, for whom the dream is getting in a reputed b-school and uplifting your career -

1. Manage expectations
2. Set specific and realistic goals
3. Never lose hope

Hi Thank you for your encouraging words.. I have been having a hard time studying but I haven´t loose hope and keep trying!! Your encouraging words truly help me to keep going forward in my GMAT prep.
Good luck on your future!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
lorena08

pleased that my experience has helped rejuvinate your prep. wish you all the luck for the journey ahead:)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
TheVaguelyCurious wrote:
To begin with, I'd like to clarify this is not a guide on how to get a 700 score. Instead, I just wish to share my story, hoping to help someone who may be in a similar position feeling hopeless.

I began my journey in quarter 2 of 2016 by deciding to quit my job and focus all my attention on making it to a good school. My priority was to not settle for a sub-standard school and aim for a top 50 school (I referred FT rankings). Soon in my research I realized that MBA was not for me - fees were too high, I only had 2 years of work experience and my past academic record was merely above average. Eventually, I set my eyes on Masters in Management (MiM) as it perfectly met my requirements and I was a much competitive candidate in that pool.

Naturally, the 1st step was GMAT prep. Due to financial limitations, joining a test-prep course was out of question. Instead, I decided to give myself more time and started self-studying. I made use of all the free material available online and only purchased the OG 17 and a bunch of mock tests from Veritas prep. After a basic round of prep and familiarizing myself with the subject matter, I gave the first diagnosis mock test - 470. I had a long, long way to go. Nevertheless, I had time so I put myself to work.

For the next 3 months, I put myself under an intense regime - 8 to 10 hours of studying per day, exercise, ample sleep, regulated diet and stipulated time for research. The mock scores rose gradually - 520, 540, 570, 600, 610, 640. Things seemed to be working and I felt confident about achieving my target score of 700. Here, I'd like to mention the huge contribution of prep forums like GMATclub which really empowered me to be able to tutor myself. Things were going well, however, a bit too slow. I had hit the dreaded mid-600's plateau with my max score being a 660 and the scheduled test being just 15 days away. I decided to stick with the scheduled date (wanted to apply in round 1) and gave myself a final boost with advanced prep for about 10 days involving flash cards, post-it's stuck all over my room, longer hours of studying and detailed analysis of error logs. In the week leading up to the test I only worked on my usual errors through light practice.

On the day of the test, I made sure I took care of the most miniscule of things like diet, hydration, easy travel, soothing music, etc. For required documents I rechecked GMAC's website which mentioned any of these would do - passport, driver's license, any Govt. issued ID card or military ID card. To be safe, I carried my driver's license, unique identification card and even the card with the Permanent Account Number; assuming these are more than enough. And with the fear of misplacing it, I did not carry the passport. DISASTER STRUCK! I was turned away from the exam center because I did not carry the passport which was apparently the only acceptable id proof in my country. Now, I understand my mistake and take full responsibility but I really believe, a company that charges $250 for a test which is so crucial and intimidating, can at least allow an alternate proof of identification and/or highlight such conditions significantly on the website / appointment mail. The webpage on the official website mentions all the accepted forms of identification first, then highlights the unacceptable forms, then some more text and only in the last line, right at the bottom of the page, they mention 'Country Specific Regulations', which links to three other webpages to finally state exactly which identification you require (a case of terrible UX/UI). That was a real low point; three months of test prep and $250 wasted. The next day, I went back to practicing and now re-scheduled the test for a month later, so that I could prepare harder.

One month passed like a breeze. Even though my mocks did not show much improvement in that period, I was feeling more confident this time and had better clarity about the concepts. Finally, after close to five months of prep, I gave the dreaded test - 630. To be honest, I wasn't satisfied, a part of me was disappointed. But there was no way I could afford another attempt or study material; this is what I had to work with. So, without wasting any more tie, I began the application process.

This was the game changer for me. I applied in six different schools and spent almost a week or two on each application. The key here, in my opinion, is to keep editing, re-editing, tweaking and polishing your essays. Even though the schools ask you to showcase yourself through the essays, I feel it is more important to actually build on your real personality and showcase yourself more like how the schools want. I am aware this may not be a very popular opinion but when it's about achieving your goals, you better put your best foot forward. I ended up getting offers from four of these schools and after plenty of evaluation, I chose to go with RSM, Netherlands (which by the way was no. 2 on my preference and I thought my chances were pretty slim).

This is not a story about succeeding with flying colors but this is one for those who are struggling to go above average or have already given the test and are disappointed with a lower 600's score. GMAT is definitely a crucial aspect of the application but it certainly isn't all. It pains me to see people giving attempt after attempt just to achieve a particular score. If attaining GMAT merit is your ultimate goal, then sure, go for it. But for most people, for whom the dream is getting in a reputed b-school and uplifting your career -

1. Manage expectations
2. Set specific and realistic goals
3. Never lose hope

The valuable three points.
Thanks for sharing your experience and strategies. It is really important to set realistic goals and think positive.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Shiv2016 Absolutely. Having a clear idea of what exactly your goals are is, in my opinion, half the battle won.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Very impressive, dude!
I was almost started preparing GMAT the same time with you. And I did not quit my job, so I am still working and studying at the same time. However, most recently, I am thinking about quit my job and get full time in studying.
I took some mock tests, and the score is up and down around 600. I really want to get a 730+.
So, I sincerely ask you a question here, do you recommend me to quit my current job, which is an American accounting firm's auditing job.

Thank you very much. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Summer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
summer127 I feel a lot of it is highly subjective; from what I've seen, the situation differs from person to person. I had a 10 hour/day job with 4 hours of tideous travelling and I was determined to opt for post grad in this very intake, hence I chose to focus all my energy towards it. I must also mention that I intended to take care of everything by myself (GMAT/TOEFL prep, application, interview, research, loan, visa etc.) so having ample time at my disposal was imperative.

Alternatively, you can enroll for a good on-demand prep course for now and test it out for a month or so. If there are gaps in your concepts or strategies, a good course can work wonders without eating much into your time. But if lack of adequate time is the reason for your stalled progress and if on-demand courses are not an option, quitting the job may just be the kind of of committment you need right now. It surely worked for me.

However, if you decide to quit your job be prepared for the financial crunch; the application and admission process can be quite financialy demanding. It is more like a plunge with no security (unless you have a backup) and failure is not an option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
TheVaguelyCurious wrote:
summer127 I feel a lot of it is highly subjective; from what I've seen, the situation differs from person to person. I had a 10 hour/day job with 4 hours of tideous travelling and I was determined to opt for post grad in this very intake, hence I chose to focus all my energy towards it. I must also mention that I intended to take care of everything by myself (GMAT/TOEFL prep, application, interview, research, loan, visa etc.) so having ample time at my disposal was imperative.

Alternatively, you can enroll for a good on-demand prep course for now and test it out for a month or so. If there are gaps in your concepts or strategies, a good course can work wonders without eating much into your time. But if lack of adequate time is the reason for your stalled progress and if on-demand courses are not an option, quitting the job may just be the kind of of committment you need right now. It surely worked for me.

However, if you decide to quit your job be prepared for the financial crunch; the application and admission process can be quite financialy demanding. It is more like a plunge with no security (unless you have a backup) and failure is not an option.

Thank you for telling me all these. You've made your points elaborate.
I kinda found some help from the teacher to get in other processes done.
What I am concerned right now, is that does the statement that I am recruited when I am applying school very important for school minister?
I mean, if I quit my job during application, will they think that's a gap or something?
And how many work years do I need to get the application well done?
Also, another personal question: would you like to tell me which subject are you going to apply in B-school?

Thank you again.
Summer.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32843 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats for your score

As you mentioned you have taken Veritas prep CATs, would you please tell how much beneficial you have find them, how you would like rate them?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
summer127 wrote:
TheVaguelyCurious wrote:

Thank you for telling me all these. You've made your points elaborate.
I kinda found some help from the teacher to get in other processes done.
What I am concerned right now, is that does the statement that I am recruited when I am applying school very important for school minister?
I mean, if I quit my job during application, will they think that's a gap or something?
And how many work years do I need to get the application well done?
Also, another personal question: would you like to tell me which subject are you going to apply in B-school?

Thank you again.
Summer.

Going by my experience, I don't think having employment at the time of application is necessary. I quit my job 7-8 months before applying and highlighted this fact in my application, no flags as such were raised. If anything, it may have come across as a display of commitment. However, I can't be a 100% sure of this, these are just calculated assumptions.

As per my knowledge, for an Msc courses there is no minimum work ex required and for MBA the minimum required is 3 years. You'll find the detailed minimum requirements on their website. (check the average class profile of your preferred course, it would give a better sense of what they're looking for)

About my program, I've opted for Msc in Business Management (Master in Management). Haven't locked down on the eventual elective yet, but would probably be leaning towards marketing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Congrats for your score

As you mentioned you have taken Veritas prep CATs, would you please tell how much beneficial you have find them, how you would like rate them?

They were pretty decent IMO. Verbal is definately more difficult compared to the real test but I guess that helps to prepare you well. I loved their UI but they could probably do with a little more detailed post-analysis. The official GMATPrep tests are the gold standard though (in terms of matching the real test).

I bought a set of 7 CATS from Veritas during one of their discount offers and had 4 official GMATPrep tests (2 free + 2 purchased).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM