Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2727 [281]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [34]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [30]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2727 [16]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Oberlin College in Ohio was a renegade institution at its 1833 foundin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
dwivedys wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
Oberlin College in Ohio was a renegade institution at its 1833 founding for deciding to accept both men and women as students.

(A) at its 1833 founding for deciding to accept
(B) for the decision at its 1833 founding to accept
(C) when it was founded in 1833 for its decision to accept
(D) in deciding at its founding in 1833 to accept
(E) by deciding at its founding in 1833 on the acceptance of

C has a modifier issue - Oberlin College was a renegade institution WHEN it was founded changes the intended meaning of the sentence. The college was renegade because it had decided to accept both women and men - so in a way this act of accepting men and women made it renegade - something that has been expressed quite eloquently in D - it was RENEGADE IN DECIDING --- the prepositional phrase IN DECIDING acts as an adverb modifying the adjective renegade.

Nice explanation .. I'll add for remaining choices ..

A) "at its 1833 founding" is illogical ... It means that the institution had many foundings
B) Same as A
E) awkward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: MC, PE, VC
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Re: Oberlin College in Ohio was a renegade institution at its 1833 foundin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
lumone wrote:
Oberlin College in Ohio was a renegade institution at its 1833 founding for deciding to accept both men and women as students.

I chose C, but OA is D

Note how C sounds:
when it was founded in 1833 for its decision to accept

That's why it is wrong. College was not founded for any decision.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [3]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Bookmarks
amitdgr wrote:

this is beautiful questions.

in A
deciding in "for deciding" dose not refer to any noun/subject . for doing is used to modify a noun and refer to general action. doing in this case is called gerund.
because deciding refer to no noun. meaning is unclear. A is out
in B, for the decision refer to no noun. and similar to A, B has no clear meaning
in C, "for its decsion to accept" modifies "it was founded". no logic
in E, "Decide on acceptance" dose not mean "decide to accept" . "decide on acceptance " dose not mean the acceptance is decided.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
amitdgr wrote:

For this question I was down to 2 options B and D. Though I picked B, which is incorrect.

Understanding the meaning of renegade is critical for solving this question correctly.

RENEGADE : (meaning) a person who has changed their feelings of support and duty from one political, religious, national, etc. group to a new one. Here, the Oberlin college is called as a renegade institution because it has decided to accept both boys and girls now instead of either the boys or girls in its past decisions.

Options A and C change the meaning by saying that the Oberlin college was a renegade institution at its 1833 founding. The implied meaning is different. We need an option that explains why the Oberlin college is renegade, which is done correctly by options B, D, and E. Option E can be eliminated as it is a bit more wordy than options B and D. It uses the noun form of accept -- acceptance which is avoided in the other 2 choices.

Between B and D, can someone explain why option B is wrong? As I am not able to eliminate between the 2.

GMATNinja Can you please clear my doubt?

Also, my reasoning for picking option B is on terms with the reasoning for the correct option in this question,

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival

Thanks.
-Varun

Originally posted by aceGMAT21 on 19 Oct 2017, 02:37.
Last edited by aceGMAT21 on 19 Oct 2017, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Bookmarks
D looks best to me. Options A and C imply that Oberlin College was a renegade institution AT ITS FOUNDING (A) and WHEN IT WAS FOUNDED (C). The intended meaning of the sentence is that an ACTION taken by Oberlin -- deciding...to accept both men and women -- CAUSED the school to be deemed a renegade institution. So, we can eliminate A and C.
But I am having a hard time to eliminate option B. Also, in the below discussions, people have mentioned that A and B can be ruled our for the use of 'at its 1833 founding' which suggests there were more than one founding. I am unable to get this logic. Please explain in brief.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [7]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi sunny91,

Let me try to help. :-)

As rightly said by sayantan, "1833 founding" - this expression gives the impression that there had been several foundings. This is inherent by itself as we read "1833 founding" or we can say that the wording of the expression is such that this meaning is inherent, as if, there were many foundings of Oberlin College in Ohio. (for example, 1931 founding, 1765 founding etc.. and we are specifically talking about the 1833 founding). But this is not the intended meaning and even if we think more logically, how can the founding of a college done more than once? make sense, right? So, the meaning is NON SENSICAL. That's why option B is INCORRECT. Even option A repeats the same mistake.

ANALOGY, (you can correlate the expression '1833 founding' with the expression '21st birthday')

On his 21st birthday, Arjun got a brand new car from his father.
So, here we are specifically referring to the 21st birthday, not any other of the birthdays (like 20th or 22nd). But that is actually not the case in the question at hand.

Hope this clears your doubt? Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks.
-Varun
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [5]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos