It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Odds of getting into Harvard 2+2?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Odds of getting into Harvard 2+2? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 21:00
So I just found out about the Harvard 2+2 program, which sounds very appealing to me as I've just started my last semester of undergrad. My GMAT is 750 and my current GPA is 3.61 (hopefully 3.65 by the time I apply). The problem is until I took the GMAT I never imagined I would be applying for anything relatively close to Harvard, so I don't have a lot more to add to my application.

The 750 is only slightly better than the 740 median, and I'm not sure if it serves any advantage with my slightly below-average GPA. I don't have any internships/professional experience to add, but I plan to secure an internship starting early 2016 that I can at least mention. I have a year and a half's worth of work experience tutoring a variety of business courses, and the extent of my extracurricular activities is playing for the VCU ice hockey team.

Do I have any shot of getting in or should I save the $250?

BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Re: Odds of getting into Harvard 2+2? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 06:44
Undergrad major and undergrad university ranking?

Your stats line-up with Harvard 2+2, so no problem there... but Harvard Business wants people who demonstrate leadership. I'm guessing you'd need to talk about some leadership opportunities/extracurriculars to improve your odds.

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 07:42
Thanks for sharing your profile. nice work on the GMAT that will certainly go a long way of substantiating your equally strong academic performance. Assuming your undergrad was of a decent caliber you should be competitive on paper. Now competitive and getting in are two different things. So I would start identifying examples where you have demonstrated interpersonal skills that b-schools like HBS love like leadership, teamwork, etc. Athletics is always a natural place to uncover this so dig deep into these experiences to see if you have an fodder for your application. But you should certainly shoot out an application.

Hope this helps!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Affiliations: Yale School of Management

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Schools: Yale '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 07:46
Hey There Ethanlayman,

I also highly encourage you to check out SOM's Silver Scholars program, which is similar, but a little different: http://som.yale.edu/our-programs/mba/admissions/silver-scholars-program

Happy to chat about it if you're interested!

Dan

ethanlayman wrote:
So I just found out about the Harvard 2+2 program, which sounds very appealing to me as I've just started my last semester of undergrad. My GMAT is 750 and my current GPA is 3.61 (hopefully 3.65 by the time I apply). The problem is until I took the GMAT I never imagined I would be applying for anything relatively close to Harvard, so I don't have a lot more to add to my application.

The 750 is only slightly better than the 740 median, and I'm not sure if it serves any advantage with my slightly below-average GPA. I don't have any internships/professional experience to add, but I plan to secure an internship starting early 2016 that I can at least mention. I have a year and a half's worth of work experience tutoring a variety of business courses, and the extent of my extracurricular activities is playing for the VCU ice hockey team.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 10:58
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Thanks for sharing your profile. nice work on the GMAT that will certainly go a long way of substantiating your equally strong academic performance. Assuming your undergrad was of a decent caliber you should be competitive on paper. Now competitive and getting in are two different things. So I would start identifying examples where you have demonstrated interpersonal skills that b-schools like HBS love like leadership, teamwork, etc. Athletics is always a natural place to uncover this so dig deep into these experiences to see if you have an fodder for your application. But you should certainly shoot out an application.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback!

Undergrad is at VCU, not particularly high-caliber, how much will that hurt me?

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 16:20
ethanlayman wrote:

I think $250 is worth it--think about how quickly you could spend that partying and eating out in college:)

2+2 has become absurdly competitive, and so very few people seem like high probabilities. You have solid grades and gmat, and so it's worth a shot. Yes, you are right that some strong extra curriculars and internships can help, but they look a lot at STEM folks, so it also matters what you have studied. And it sounds like you played a varsity sport, and that can be quite time consuming even out of your "season". Their class profiles also show that they pull from a lot of different undergrads to fill that 100+ seating, so that helps. And your demographic profile will also be evaluated.

Bottom line, you have a shot with an incredible essay to get attention, but unless you are coming from some under represented demographics, you are probably a better shot down the road with more leadership and extra curricular fire power.

Alex Leventhal HBS '98
Founder, Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.prepmba.com/

office:323.424.3178 | mobile:917.514.1023
alex@prepmba.com

Prep MBA is a boutique admissions consultancy started in 2005. Work one on one with a Harvard MBA.
No junior consultants or referrals to a consultant to be named later. Put a Harvard MBA on your case.
Testimonials: http://prepmba.com/testimonials

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 17:45
VCU will not be seen as an elite undergrad school but you did perform well so this will be seen as a positive aspect of your profile. If there was any doubt of your aptitude from your academic record your strong GMAT performance will put that to rest.

Good luck!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Odds of getting into Harvard 2+2?   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2015, 17:45

Odds of getting into Harvard 2+2?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: ydmuley, OasisGC, aeropower, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap