GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 05:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

One of the most important tasks of ethical analysis is to deliver us

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
One of the most important tasks of ethical analysis is to deliver us  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Sep 2019, 01:06
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 135 sessions

53% (03:32) correct 47% (03:17) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 186 sessions

32% (01:04) correct 68% (01:03) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 172 sessions

59% (01:18) correct 41% (01:14) wrong

One of the most important tasks of ethical analysis is to deliver us from our unrecognized prejudices about right and wrong. For ethicist Paul Taylor perhaps no prejudice is so deeply ingrained as speciesism, the view that members of the human species deserve treatment superior to that accorded members of other species.

In place of speciesism, Taylor proposes a new theory of environmental ethics based on "the biocentric outlook." This outlook asserts that humans are equal members of the earth‘s community of life and that they and members of other species are interdependent. It further sees all organisms as teleological centres of life in the sense that each is a unique individual pursuing its own best interests by its own means and that "humans are not inherently superior to other living things."

Taylor claims that the theory provides the foundation and justification for "respect for nature," the only moral attitude suitable to have towards earth‘s creatures. Respect for nature requires both recognizing that wild plants and animals have inherent worth, and following the moral norm that "living things ought not to be harmed or interfered with in nature." Taylor claims that human behaviour toward nonhumans ought to be guided by the rules of non-maleficence and non-interference, as well the rule of fidelity and the rule of restitutive justice. These rules prohibit, respectively: harming any entity in the natural environment; restricting the freedom of natural entities or ecosystems so that they cannot exist in a wild state; mistreating any wild animal, as often occurs during hunting or fishing; and failing to make amends when one wrongs a wild plant or
animal in any way.

One problem is with Taylor‘s scheme that both accords "inherent worth" to all plants, animals, and humans, and then requires compensation for every intrusion, use, or control (done even for a good reason) affecting any living entity. If everyone has duties of compensation to virtually every other living entity, as indeed we must under Taylor‘s scheme, then applying Taylor‘s ethics is complex,
cumbersome, and unworkable.

Taylor claims repeatedly that "all wild living things in the Earth‘s natural ecosystems" possess inherent worth. Yet he admits that there are very few wild things in genuinely natural ecosystems—ecosystems wholly free from any human intrusion. This raises at least two problems. First, why does Taylor claim that we have duties only to wild living things in natural ecosystems? If we have only these duties, and if most living things are not wild and not in natural ecosystems, then Taylor may fail to deal with the bulk of problems arising in environmental ethics. Also, if natural ecosystems are those that have experienced no human intrusion or control, then Taylor seems to say that humans are not part of the "natural" world. This contradicts Taylor‘s claim that humans are members of earth‘s community "in the same sense" as plants and animals.

Taylor does deserve praise because he avoids many of the errors of earlier theorists of environmental ethics. For example, Taylor explicitly rejects Leopold‘s highly questionable belief that inanimate objects can be moral subjects; he also disavows an organicist or Gaia view of environmental ethics, as pursued by Leopold, Goodpaster, Lovelock, and others, and shows why organicism errs in giving no place to the good of individual organisms.

1. Which of the following statements reflects one of the author‘s criticisms of Taylor‘s theory?

A. The theory denies the claim that humans have moral responsibilities to inanimate objects.

B. The theory fails to take into account the superiority of humans to other species.

C. The theory is overly concerned with the welfare of individual organisms.

D. The theory is not comprehensive enough to deal with many ethical issues.

E. The theory is strongly biased towards one particular group

2. According to the passage, which of the following behaviours is most likely to be exhibited by people who practice speciesism?

A. They take their family to see the wild tigers and elephants in the zoo.

B. Their diet consists mainly of fruits and vegetables rather than meat and fish.

C. They plant a new tree for every one that they cut down for their own use.

D. They almost always live in rural areas where farming is necessary for survival.

E. They forbid pets from entering community parks

3. Suppose that one is hiking in the Sierra Nevadas outside of Yosemite and is suddenly attacked by a mountain lion. One could save oneself from the attack, but only by seriously injuring or killing the mountain lion. According to Taylor‘s ethical scheme, what should one do?

A. One should kill the mountain lion in order to save oneself.

B. One should not kill the mountain lion and thereby sacrifice oneself.

C. One should attempt to seriously injure but not kill the mountain lion in order to save oneself.

D. Taylor‘s scheme does not give a clear answer about what to do in this case.

E. One should avoid hiking in the Sierra Nevada region

Originally posted by LordStark on 10 Oct 2018, 19:00.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 26 Sep 2019, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Updated - Complete topic (673).
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
Re: One of the most important tasks of ethical analysis is to deliver us  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 18:53
HAPPYatHARVARD wrote:
Can anyone explain question number 2 please! my ans is E

OE for Q2
2) A difficult question to predict. We‘re looking for a sort of person or action that would violate Taylor‘s principles by practicing the theory he rejects. A scan of the answer choices shows only one instance where animals are clearly being exploited:(A) has what you need.

(A): The correct answer

(B): Out of Scope. While Taylor might argue that harm is being caused to the fruits and vegetables, there‘s no evidence they‘re being eaten for reasons of speciesism.

(C): Opposite. This would seem to fit Taylor‘s idea that harm should be accompanied by compensation.

(D): Out of Scope. No hint of speciesism here

(E): Out of Scope. No hint of speciesism here
V
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: One of the most important tasks of ethical analysis is to deliver us  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 08:16

Topic and Scope

- The author reviews Paul Taylor‘s "biocentric" theory of
environmental ethics and discusses drawbacks to the theory.

Mapping the Passage:

¶1 introduces Taylor's disdain for the "prejudiced" theory speciesism.
¶2 describes Taylor's theory, with a "biocentric outlook."
¶3 gives details of the theory and its 4 rules.
¶4 describes a problem with Taylor‘s idea of compensation.
¶5 describes two problems with applying Taylor's ideas.
¶6 praises Taylor‘s advances over earlier theorists.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 08:18

Answers and Explanations

1)

The question basically asks you to find a paraphrase of one of the author‘s two criticisms. Quickly review them: it‘s impractical, and it doesn‘t go far enough (¶s 4 and 5). (D) fits the latter.
(A): Faulty Use of Detail. Taylor does "reject [the] ... belief that inanimate objects can be moral subjects", but the author approves of this rejection.
(B): Opposite. The author doesn't dispute Taylor's claim that humans shouldn‘t be considered superior.
(C): Opposite. The author likes this part of Taylor‘s theory (final sentence of the passage).
(D): The correct answer
(E): Out of scope.

2)

A difficult question to predict. We‘re looking for a sort of person or action that would violate Taylor‘s principles by practicing the theory he rejects. A scan of the answer choices shows only one instance where animals are clearly being exploited:
(A) has what you need.
(B): Out of Scope. While Taylor might argue that harm is being caused to the fruits and vegetables, there‘s no evidence they‘re being eaten for reasons of speciesism.
(C): Opposite. This would seem to fit Taylor‘s idea that harm should be accompanied by compensation.
(D): Out of Scope. No hint of speciesism here(E): Out of Scope. No hint of speciesism here

3)

An application question; try to apply the new situation to Taylor‘s principles. Taylor argues that species shouldn‘t be hurt simply because one considers humans superior to other species, but never addresses anything that could touch on selfdefense.
(D) reflects the idea that this situation is outside of Taylor‘s scope.
(A): Out of Scope. Taylor offers no suggestion that this is the best option.
(B): Out of Scope. Taylor never suggests that humans should sacrifice themselves for nature.
(C): Opposite. More tempting than the other choices because it saves the individual species, but there‘s nothing to go on in Taylor's rules one way or the other.
(D): The correct answer
(E): Out of scope.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V31

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 05:33
LordStark wrote:
HAPPYatHARVARD wrote:
Can anyone explain question number 2 please! my ans is E

OE for Q2
2) A difficult question to predict. We‘re looking for a sort of person or action that would violate Taylor‘s principles by practicing the theory he rejects. A scan of the answer choices shows only one instance where animals are clearly being exploited:(A) has what you need.

(D): Out of Scope. No hint of speciesism here

(E): Out of Scope. No hint of speciesism here

The sentence says speciesism means considering humans superior to other species. In that case, if pets are not allowed where humans are allowed(parks) that makes it obvious that humans are superior and makes E the correct choice.
Please let me know where exactly i have gone wrong.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 11:10
For Q2, I believe it all comes to think what is worse: pets not being allowed to enter one specific place, or animals limited to live un just one specific place. By this approach, I believe A represents far more damage to animals than E. So I would go with A.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 11:21
Rafaelurlich wrote:
For Q2, I believe it all comes to think what is worse: pets not being allowed to enter one specific place, or animals limited to live un just one specific place. By this approach, I believe A represents far more damage to animals than E. So I would go with A.

Agreed, but that again depends on the type of a zoo or a reserve that is being talked about. A zoo can be similar to a proper African wildlife reserve kinda zoo that doesn’t really keep the animals captive, but allows them to be free within a defined area. We cannot really say that zoos in general are pretty bad eh?

Not allowing them to enter a certain area is like taking away their freedom, which every animal shall have.

How can gmat ask us to choose between a zoo and animals’ freedom?

The point you just mentioned doesn’t really help us in deciding between a and e

Now tell me which one is worse

This question is totally weird imo !
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 07:59
Why is Ans to Q3) D?
According to the passage, humans should never harm any wild animal in their natural environment or restrict its freedom.
Please could anyone shed some light on this?
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2019, 03:59
aditliverpoolfc wrote:
Rafaelurlich wrote:

Agreed, but that again depends on the type of a zoo or a reserve that is being talked about. A zoo can be similar to a proper African wildlife reserve kinda zoo that doesn’t really keep the animals captive, but allows them to be free within a defined area. We cannot really say that zoos in general are pretty bad eh?

Not allowing them to enter a certain area is like taking away their freedom, which every animal shall have.

How can gmat ask us to choose between a zoo and animals’ freedom?

The point you just mentioned doesn’t really help us in deciding between a and e

Now tell me which one is worse

This question is totally weird imo !

Firstly, your answer lies in your reply itself. There are no different kinds of zoo's. Either its a zoo or wildlife sanctuary/national park/forest reserve. You can google for better clarity.
Secondly, consider a scenario in which a man is not allowed to the party and consider another scenario in which a man is forced to live in a solitary against his will and is not allowed to move freely or eat when he wants to, in addition people enjoy watching him this way. Which situation would be more worse?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2019, 08:13
ajmekal wrote:
Why is Ans to Q3) D?
According to the passage, humans should never harm any wild animal in their natural environment or restrict its freedom.

The question stem is According to Taylor‘s ethical scheme , what should one do?

If we have only these duties, and if most living things are not wild and not in natural ecosystems, then Taylor may fail to deal with the bulk of problems arising in environmental ethics.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I also marked incorrect answer choice.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 03:05
GMATNinja

It took me way too long to solve.

Will you please share strategy explaining how to increase speed in long RC.
If you have already explained this will you please share the link?

Thank you for all your support.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 07:17
ajmekal wrote:
Why is Ans to Q3) D?

Hi may be i can be of some help :) .

The fundamental message throughout the passage is that humans are not superior to other organisms. Humans ought to respect natural laws and environment.
There is no information regarding the confrontation between a human and what action one take to avoid such circumstance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 08:23
vyascd wrote:
GMATNinja

It took me way too long to solve.

Will you please share strategy explaining how to increase speed in long RC.
If you have already explained this will you please share the link?

Thank you for all your support.

I don't think that you'll love this answer, but the best way to increase your speed on long RC passages is just to get better and more efficient at RC in general. This article and this video might get you headed in the right direction in terms of general technique on RC.

I hope this helps a bit!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: One of the most important tasks of ethical analysis is to deliver us   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2019, 08:23

One of the most important tasks of ethical analysis is to deliver us

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics