It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 19:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One study found that although government policy and the industrial sec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 101 [7], given: 0

One study found that although government policy and the industrial sec [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2007, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (00:53) correct 56% (01:10) wrong based on 2106 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One study found that although government policy and the industrial sector in which a company operates can influence its productivity and financial strength, management decisions have at least as great an impact on a company’s performance.

(A) management decisions have at least as great an impact

(B) decisions by management have a great impact

(C) manager decisions impact greatly

(D) decisions by a company’s management impact greatly

(E) what a company’s management decides has a greater impact
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 21 Oct 2017, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 101 [7], given: 0

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [6], given: 5

Re: One study found that although government policy and the industrial sec [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2009, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
here's a good explanation for this question
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/mgm ... t1192.html
It was new to me that we can use 'as great', 'as genious', etc. without the second 'as'
thanks for the question :)

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Kudos [?]: 52 [6], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 376 [0], given: 15

Schools: Fuqua
Re: One study found that although government policy and the industrial sec [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2009, 21:07
I will go with D.

A. management decisions have at least as great an impact (Awkward and unidiomatic)
B. decisions by management have a great impact (This is ok but is lacking the parallel structure with the Subordinate clause.)
C. manager decisions impact greatly(refering to in general manager decisions - changes the meaning.)
D. decisions by a company’s management impact greatly (This maintains the parallel structure with the the Subordinate clause.)
E. what a company’s management decides has a greater impact(Lacking parallel structure with the subordinate clause)

Kudos [?]: 376 [0], given: 15

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 870 [3], given: 18

Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2009, 00:11
This post received
KUDOS
yes, but "as great an impact" is also correct technically.
"although x is bla_bla, y is bla_bla"...something is missing here...it should be "although x is bla_bla, y is as bla_bla as X"....there should be some contrast by way of comparison with the usage of 'although'

Kudos [?]: 870 [3], given: 18

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 190 [1], given: 60

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2009, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
E.

A. management decisions have at least as great an impact
B. decisions by management have a great impact
C. manager decisions impact greatly
D. decisions by a company’s management impact greatly
E. what a company’s management decides has a greater impact

we need to have a comparison here! in the original sentence there is a word "although", which is a signal to look for comparative adjective here. "greater" can be found only in choice E.

PLUS the correct idiom here is "to have an impact ON"
we can easily eliminate answer choices C and D.

Never, never, never give up

Kudos [?]: 190 [1], given: 60

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 60

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2009, 05:35
hogann wrote:
OA is A

The original sentence correctly draws this comparison with the phrase “at least as great an impact.” Also, "government policy," "industrial sector," and "management decisions" are all correctly parallel

god, this is a good question!!!!!!

really A.

look here for more explanation http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/man ... t7712.html

Never, never, never give up

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 60

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 405 [1], given: 123

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2011, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
The underlined part should end with "impact on"
A, B and E left.
B -"by" out
E - change of meaning. I think there is quant involved here and the difference between ">" (greater) and ">=" (atleast as) is clear from A's meaning.
A is the best unless you want to change the meaning.

Kudos [?]: 405 [1], given: 123

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8363 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2011, 09:00
The gist of the original text is that management decisions have an impact at least as great. Any choice that does not reflect this 'at least as great' feature is distorting the intended meaning. You might notice no choice other than A carries this intent. Hence A is the best choice.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8363 [3], given: 366

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
Step 1. The text seeks to state that management decisions have at least as great an impact as other factors. This vital element of comparison should not be missed in the choices. None of the choices, B, C, D, and E carries this original intent earnestly. B, C, and D are simple declarative statements of great impact and not comparisons. E on the other hand goes off board to say that the decisions have a greater impact. These are wrong presentations.

A, the verbatim choice from the text is the correct answer.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8363 [3], given: 366

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 05:24
Onell wrote:
One study found that although government policy and the industrial sector in which a company operates can influence its productivity and financial strength, management decisions have at least as great an impact on a company’s performance.

1.management decisions have at least as great an impact
2.decisions by management have a great impact
3.manager decisions impact greatly
4.decisions by a company’s management impact greatly
5.what a company’s management decides has a greater impact

Really tricky!

I wanted to go with A, because "Although government policy . . ., Management decision. . . seemed parallel; and at same time "at least as great impact" sounded un-idomatic. . . thus i choice B

but, the way Daagh is explaining pushes me to think harder. but still i cant comprehend :(

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 87

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2011, 02:26
daagh wrote:
Can you please specify what you wish to discuss? You must also lead the discussion by saying what your version of the discussion is, what particular issue you have in this topic and so on.

I have the OA but I dont understand how to eliminate choices here and on what basis...I read on other forums about parallelism...but i dont knw why financial strength is not included in parallelism too...

Also, is there any other strategy to use POE...I am not fully convinced by parallelism

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 87

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2011, 02:48
Please at this stage don't get confused by big jargons such as parallelism and modification etc,. For example this topic is not about parallelism. Your assumption that financial strength is not included in parallelism is unclear to the extent why you need to bother about //ism in this context and what it is not parallel with.

Can I give you a small suggestion, if you may permit me? Please go through the definitions of all the basic concepts of GMAT SC first either from some basic books or some good institutes. Or else, you will take lot more time to come to grip.

That aside, let me tell you that all the choices in the issue are grammatically correct, except for trivial issues such as missing of an apostrophe etc; But what this question tests is the intent.

Now can you pick up the thread from here on and arrive at how the OA differs from the rest.

Narendran 98845 44509

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2011, 08:21
The important thing to note here is that the impact is as great if not more. This comparative aspect should be reflected in all the choices lest it should distort the meaning.

Choices BCDE flout this element by describing the impact as ‘great impact’ ‘impact greatly’ and ‘a greater impact’.

In addition, c is wrong also becos of missing the possessive marker apostrophe after manager

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2011, 05:01
A) management decisions have at least as great an impact - CORRECT - although is the keyword, there needs to be a comparison of factors influencing company's performance
B) decisions by management have a great impact - INCORRECT - passive voice should be avoided
C) manager decisions impact greatly - INCORRECT "manager" as a modifier sounds incorrect grammar
D) decisions by a company’s management impact greatly - INCORRECT passive voice should be avoided
E) what a company’s management decides has a greater impact - INCORRECT unusual sentence construction

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 8

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 49 [1], given: 19

GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2012, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
alchemist009 wrote:

B decisions by management have a great impact

i dont know whats wrong with D

WE can use meaning to eliminate answer choices here. The intended meaning is that "management decisions have at least the same impact as the Govt. policy/industrial sector or a greater impact". Basically impact from management decisions >= impact from Govt. policy

none of B,C or D indicate this, they all say decisions by management have a great impact, but non qualify it as atleast as great as the Govt policy.
E indicates management decisions > impact from Govt. policy [notice strictly greater than]

So E is also out. Pick A.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 49 [1], given: 19

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 392 [1], given: 4

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2012, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gomennassai wrote:
alchemist009 wrote:

B decisions by management have a great impact

i dont know whats wrong with D

WE can use meaning to eliminate answer choices here. The intended meaning is that "management decisions have at least the same impact as the Govt. policy/industrial sector or a greater impact". Basically impact from management decisions >= impact from Govt. policy

none of B,C or D indicate this, they all say decisions by management have a great impact, but non qualify it as atleast as great as the Govt policy.
E indicates management decisions > impact from Govt. policy [notice strictly greater than]

So E is also out. Pick A.

Gomennassai makes an excellent point about the intended meaning of this sentence. Whenever possible, though, I prefer to make eliminations based on grammar rules. Note the "split" at the end of each choice,

(A) impact
(B) impact
(C) greatly
(D) greatly
(E) impact

This might not appear to be a grammar-based split, until you observe what comes immediately after each underlined portion: the prepositional phrase "on a company's performance." This is a modifying phrase describing the noun "impact" and the rule here is that noun modifiers must be adjacent to the noun they are meant to modify. (C) and (D) are both out at this point – not only do the test writers separate "impact" from its modifying phrase, they actually use "impact" as a verb rather than a noun in these choices!

We don't think much about the prepositional phrases we use in everyday speech, but for GMAT SC you'll need to train yourself to always spot these.

Meaning is the best way to proceed at this point in the problem, but I wanted to point out the grammatical issue with (C) and (D) because a grammar-first focus on SC comes with a high payoff!

Hope that helps!

Mark

Mark Sullivan | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Seattle, WA

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 392 [1], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 97

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2012, 09:04
My question is should it not be As... As

The as.. as idiom is missing and A is correct hovv and vvhy?

Please explain anything vvith as must have as at the end of it

hovv is this right besides it only being correct in the structure

management decisions have at least as great an impact

decisions by management have a great impact

manager decisions impact greatly

decisions by a company’s management impact greatly

what a company’s management decides has a greater impact

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 97

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2012, 03:15
underlining has been done; Now to the topic: If I have understood the issue raised here,

There isn’t a meaning change nor grammatical flaw in not using the second comparator -as- in this case, because of reasons of brevity. If you have to say as great an impact as, then you have to add another full clause, which will tend to be as follows.

management decisions have at least as great an impact as do government policy and the industrial sector in which a company operates

This renders the choice unwieldy, while the elliptical version conveys the same meaning as effectively. In other words, meaning and concision prevail over mere structure of idiom in this case

There are simple cases, where the second as can be missed without losing grammar. For eg:

I am six-foot and my brother is as tall
My wife is a great singer and my cousin sings as nicely

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 579 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2012, 03:48
venmic wrote:

B. decisions by management have a great impact

The word although causes us to expect a contrast. B, C, and D do not provide the expected contrast. In fact, they don't draw any connection between the second clause and the first. It is also worth noting that C and D result in the phrase impact greatly on. As a verb, impact is not generally followed by on. As a noun, impact is often followed by on. Answer choices A, B, and E use impact as a noun and result in the appropriate usage (because on will be the very next word no matter what). However, B was already eliminated, so only A and E remain as viable options. Option choice E contains what a company's management decides, which is a wordier way of saying management decisions. Therefore, A is the best option.

It is not a rule that a comparison using as must use a second as, especially when although introduces a contrast. For example,
Although Jake set the school record in the 100-meter dash, I run twice as fast.
Adding as he or as he is to the end of the sentence would be redundant.

My GMAT debrief

Kudos [?]: 579 [0], given: 41

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9544 [0], given: 1203

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 09:12
Tough question

mmmmmm we can start eliminating answer choices that are wrong, from wrong to right

B D and E are for sure wrong for the usage of by and E is wordy

A and C

C manager decisions (the decision takes by manager) impact should be impactS (here for me the meaning of one manager) but keep it for one moment and look at A

A talks about management and according to the meaning of the senrence has more logic. I'll go for A

Indeed A is correct ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9544 [0], given: 1203

Re: One study found that although government policy and the industrial sec   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2012, 09:12

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 40 posts ] 

One study found that although government policy and the industrial sec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap