GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 19:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Owen vs. McComb?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Owen vs. McCombs

• 47% [8]
  • 52% [9]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Owen vs. McComb?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 14:47
Trying to decide between UT & Vandy. There's some monetary assistance for both, but I'm not including as I don't want that to skew any feedback. Hopefully the long term benefits outweigh the short term extra cash in the wallet that will be blown at bars in Austin or Nashville anyways. Partially kidding.

A few things to consider that might be unique to my upcoming decision:
- My goal is to end up back in OKC, where I grew up (cool with Dallas/Houston/Austin short-term).
- Career goal is to start or purchase an oilfield services company (current Director of Corp Dev for a services company in Houston & plan to grow my future business via M&A).
- For those (probably all) not familiar with Oklahoma's economy, 1. it's dominated by Oil & Gas, 2. a majority of the people making plays in the industry are local and went to OU/OSU or didn't attend college at all, so it's highly relationship/work ethic/just get out there and get the damn job done driven. Point 2 is changing for the better, but that will take decades to materially shift.
- Most Oklahoman's don't associate Texas as a top 20 MBA program. When I say I'm deciding between the two, they call me a trader for UT and then say "wow" with a face-pop when I say Vandy, which most associate as a top program due to their prestigious, somewhat 'foreign' overall reputation. Everyone is blown away when they hear that UT has a significantly better program than SMU.
- I work with a lot of PE firms and have spoken to quite a few about summer internships (if nothing else, it'll further develop my M&A/opportunity recognition skills), so that's a possible short term route post-MBA. Most have said I can't go wrong with either and that they'll hire from both.
- I've visited both schools and was absolutely blown away by UT's brand new facility, the amount of students walking around/collaborating and the resources they'll be able offer locally/regionally. I was surprisingly underwhelmed with my trip to Vandy (I saw more people in UT's new Rowling Hall than I saw on the entire Vandy campus, and I like that), but was impressed with how well the first year students knew each other and interacted during the class I sat in on.

Long story short, to me, McCombs is the gold standard in Texas and the resources and connections available for someone wanting to stay in the area and work in O&G are probably second to none. But, to the people I'll be working with/competing against/interacting with in OKC, Vandy holds a significantly more amount of weight, even if that isn't justified by actual program standards, and the connection base there will be on a national scale, which, to me, has its pros and cons. Curriculum and all other things considered, I'm very excited about both. I wouldn't have applied if I didn't think the school was set up for what I want to learn/gain from a program.

Basically everyone that I have reached out to regarding this decision has mentioned the good things about both schools and then said they're not sure which one they would attend. I know it's 100% my decision, but some of the smartest/most respected people I know can't provide an edge to one or the other, so here I am.

Thanks in advance for any feedback received!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Re: Owen vs. McComb?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 04:16
If you are looking for quality discussions and fruitful associations then Owen is the place to be.
BSchool Thread Master
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 06:19
For O&G, Mccombs has my vote. I think you'll have more robust course offerings(assuming here based on its rep) and many more chances to interact with O&G reps due to location. The other things to consider is that if moving back to OKC doesn't quite pan out, Mccombs is going to have a lot more pull in Texas O&G which would help a lot. Also helpful for pulling in an internship.

If however, you were looking for something outside of strictly O&G, things start to level out. At that point, I'd take money and fit/personal bias.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 13:02
My vote is for Owen.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Owen vs. McComb?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 20:30
I am as big of a Vandy homer as you'll find anywhere. I am also a former Austinite and Nashvillian--and I definitely think Nashville is hands down the nicer of the two places. However, if you're sure you want to do this...

mrikmellol wrote:
Career goal is to start or purchase an oilfield services company

...you'd be crazy to not go to McCombs.

Good luck with the decision!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 22:02
McCoombs is a powerhouse top 20 school that’s been there since the beginning with a strong class size and homefield advantage.

Owen is an upcoming business school and the recruiting opportunities are just not on the same level as Mccombs.

This is a no brainer. Go with Mccombs!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2018, 04:49
I don't agree with Mccombs being a power house. Both the schools are very similar in employment statistics.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 05:41
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 22:57
Hey mrikmellol, what did you decide?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Owen vs. McComb? &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jun 2018, 22:57

Owen vs. McComb?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap