GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 11:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Oxford Said or Cambridge Judge?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Judge   Said   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.14
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Oxford Said or Cambridge Judge?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 16:26
I've already made my decision, but a friend of mine is deciding as well. I'd love to hear what you all have to say!

The post-MBA pursuit would be i-banking.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
Re: Oxford Said or Cambridge Judge?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2017, 21:43
Judge > Said
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2017, 06:44
Had to make the same decision and think that they have a lot in common. I eventually decided to go to Judge, for the following reasons:

1) I received scholarship in Cambridge - that left Oxford with higher costs and a lower FT rank.
2) In Cambridge, you have a higher influence on college selection; Oxford only allows you to pick one preferred college and randomly allocates you in case you don't get your preferred college. Unfortunately, they tell you this quite late in the process and only when you ask specifically. Cambridge lets you choose on a one-by-one basis until you get accepted by a college that you like.

But: Facilities are way nicer in Oxford.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 07:23
I recently finished in-person interviews at both schools. Cambridge to me appeared much more organized and better assembled, but it's tough to tell from only a day or two of interactions. I'm curious what others think about this decision....
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 08:24
Judge...This is a non-brainer unless you r in social sector. For social and stuff Said is better. Rest everything, Judge is a clear winner.. :-D
Current Student
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 14:00
DanielO wrote:
2) In Cambridge, you have a higher influence on college selection; Oxford only allows you to pick one preferred college and randomly allocates you in case you don't get your preferred college. Unfortunately, they tell you this quite late in the process and only when you ask specifically. Cambridge lets you choose on a one-by-one basis until you get accepted by a college that you like.

I'm sorry I may be missing something obvious here but could you explain what you mean by the college selection with regards to these two MBA programs? Are you referring to concentration?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 15:42
redfield wrote:
DanielO wrote:

I'm sorry I may be missing something obvious here but could you explain what you mean by the college selection with regards to these two MBA programs? Are you referring to concentration?

I like your question - it is a really interesting one as I could not figure out what DanielO was talking about either until I found this page: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/oxford/learning ... d-colleges
That's a pretty messed up interesting approach, frankly - I have never thought an MBA program could be structured like that. It seems more like a community or a dorm/etc.

Quote:
There are 38 independent, self-governing colleges at Oxford University.

As a student at Saïd Business School, the department will be your main academic home, but you will also be attached to a college, either as a full member or as an associate member depending on your programme. In certain cases it may also be offered accommodation at your college.

The collegiate system makes study at Oxford a truly unique experience. Oxford colleges are small, intimate communities, where you meet academics and fellow students from around the world, and from a broad range of subjects well beyond your own field of study.

Your college helps you to establish a new circle of friends quickly. You will find yourself absorbed in fascinating conversations at college seminars, dinners, and informal occasions. This is a distinctive advantage over universities organised solely on departmental lines.

All colleges invest heavily in facilities, with extensive library and IT provision, sports and social events. The relatively small number of students at each college allows for close and supportive personal attention to be given to the induction, academic development and welfare of individuals.

Seven colleges are exclusively tailored to postgraduates and there is a choice of 30 that admit both undergraduate and postgraduate students. You can either choose your preferred college or let Oxford allocate one to you.

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 06:06
bb wrote:

I like your question - it is a really interesting one as I could not figure out what DanielO was talking about either until I found this page: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/oxford/learning ... d-colleges
That's a pretty messed up interesting approach, frankly - I have never thought an MBA program could be structured like that. It seems more like a community or a dorm/etc.

Great info as always, thanks BB. This is indeed... interesting and certainly will require further research from me to see how big of a deal it is. Oxford is the only non-US program I have been looking at and I'm surprised I missed this component of it.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 08:03
That's an interesting discussion. I myself applied to Judge but never came across this topic. Though I'm still wondering what'll be the tangible benefit to a student who's assigned to a college...Nevertheless, surely there r benefits of going to Oxbridge :-D

bb wrote:
redfield wrote:
DanielO wrote:

Quote:
There are 38 independent, self-governing colleges at Oxford University.

As a student at Saïd Business School, the department will be your main academic home, but you will also be attached to a college, either as a full member or as an associate member depending on your programme. In certain cases it may also be offered accommodation at your college.

The collegiate system makes study at Oxford a truly unique experience. Oxford colleges are small, intimate communities, where you meet academics and fellow students from around the world, and from a broad range of subjects well beyond your own field of study.

Your college helps you to establish a new circle of friends quickly. You will find yourself absorbed in fascinating conversations at college seminars, dinners, and informal occasions. This is a distinctive advantage over universities organised solely on departmental lines.

All colleges invest heavily in facilities, with extensive library and IT provision, sports and social events. The relatively small number of students at each college allows for close and supportive personal attention to be given to the induction, academic development and welfare of individuals.

Seven colleges are exclusively tailored to postgraduates and there is a choice of 30 that admit both undergraduate and postgraduate students. You can either choose your preferred college or let Oxford allocate one to you.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 03:10
I think, most of the questions are answered. Colleges are a somewhat unique construction to Cambridge and Oxford (and some other mostly British universities) and there are quite some articles about the specifics of this system (see Wikipedia, for instance).

How tangible one's college affiliation is is up to debate. Since a college will provide library, housing, dining, sports etc. to its students, it will certainly contribute a good share of social life and the perceived overall experience. Also, the college allows students to meet many non-MBA students which adds another dimension to the MBA experience.

Last: The Business School is not a college, but a department. Every MBA student is part of the Business School, but not a member of the same college; think of it was a matrix of colleges and departments - that makes it easier ;)
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 03:44
Hi All,

Am trying to make the same choice 2-3 years down the line - Oxford MBA vs Cambridge MBA...And am very confused :( Would love to hear if thoughts have changed or if anybody has more insights... :please :please

A) FT rankings are not helping anymore - Cambridge used to be better than Oxford until 2018, but in 2019 Oxford = rank#13 & Cambridge = rank#16. Also, Cambridge's rankings have been following a decreasing trend as opposed to increasing trend for Oxford. However, if I look at avg. rank of last 3 or 5 years, Cambridge ranks better than Oxford.

B) Career reports aren't helping much either - both colleges seems to have very similar placement profiles. Although Oxford's data is outdated (2016-17) and Cambridge's is latest (2018-19)

C) The limited alumni contacts that I could find seem to love their own colleges and don't know much about the other :)

To give some background about myself:
I am an Assco. Prod. Mgnr. with 8 years of Work-ex building technology solutions for consulting companies. The natural career growth for me post-MBA would be in Technology sector, but I haven't frozen on the industry yet. Am open to exploring my options during MBA. My primary aim is career progression (hopefully into senior mgmt. of organizations) and a Great Global brand on my resume...

Any help or suggestions about how to make this choice are much appreciated...plzzz share thoughts :)
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 10:01
Hey akanshaa25 ,

From the last couple of months, I had been doing a similar research to be able to decide between SBS and CJBS for the incoming batch of 2019-2020. At the start of this research, I was told that choosing between these two schools is like choosing between a Mercedes and a BMW. You’ll enjoy the ride no matter what you choose. It’s all about choosing the one which resonates with your personality and where your heart tells you to go. However, in my case, surprisingly it wasn’t that difficult for me to decide to go with Judge because of the factors mentioned in the following paragraphs. I would also like you to know that this is an extremely personal opinion derived from my own personal experience and it may not necessarily be the case with everyone so I would say that you’re on the right path. Keep exploring till you get convinced with your choice.

My primary reason of choosing Judge was that I had a more pleasant and positive interaction with its Alumni and current students than the interaction with the SBS folks. I contacted Alumni and current students from both the schools but unfortunately all the SBS people I reached out to, were either extremely busy to respond or very arrogant and boastful in their suggestions about choosing between SBS and CJBS. However, this was not the case with the CJBS alumni. Even though they obviously boasted about their school, they were warm, very cordial about both the options and provided honest views. In a generic sense, I felt more comfortable talking to the Judge students/Alumni than the SBS folks! I felt a little aggression in most people from SBS and thought that it may be a cultural superiority factor which doesn't resonate with my personality.

As an example, when I reached out to a CJBS student, she introduced me to 3-4 more students from my industry and region to help me out. She made sure that I receive the information from people with similar perspective. Because of her willingness, I got introduced to 5-6 more folks from the JBS who further introduced me to many more. I really enjoyed the willingness of their current and past students in helping out people looking for information. In case of SBS, I reached out to at least 8-10 people through various platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Direct references etc, but it was surprising to receive somewhat cold responses from all but one! One of the Alumni told me that he has passed out the college 4-5 years back and hence he cannot give me any valuable feedback or suggestion. A current student replied to me on LinkedIn that she was too busy with the MBAT preparation to be able to help me with those queries. Another student with whom I scheduled a phone call told me that CJBS is nothing compared to SBS and that nobody should choose CJBS over SBS. I was again surprised at the arrogance and lack of humility. May be I was just unlucky to reach out to such people but all this made me think that I'd be in the wrong place because of my low key personality and therefore helped me make a choice.

My secondary reason is a more common one. Because of my background in technology and perhaps future entrepreneurship possibilities in the same field, I also gave slight weightage to the widely talked about “proximity to silicon fen” reason of choosing CJBS over SBS.

Hope this helps and Wish you good luck in your MBA endeavours :)

akanshaa25 wrote:
Hi All,

Am trying to make the same choice 2-3 years down the line - Oxford MBA vs Cambridge MBA...And am very confused :( Would love to hear if thoughts have changed or if anybody has more insights... :please :please

A) FT rankings are not helping anymore - Cambridge used to be better than Oxford until 2018, but in 2019 Oxford = rank#13 & Cambridge = rank#16. Also, Cambridge's rankings have been following a decreasing trend as opposed to increasing trend for Oxford. However, if I look at avg. rank of last 3 or 5 years, Cambridge ranks better than Oxford.

B) Career reports aren't helping much either - both colleges seems to have very similar placement profiles. Although Oxford's data is outdated (2016-17) and Cambridge's is latest (2018-19)

C) The limited alumni contacts that I could find seem to love their own colleges and don't know much about the other :)

To give some background about myself:
I am an Assco. Prod. Mgnr. with 8 years of Work-ex building technology solutions for consulting companies. The natural career growth for me post-MBA would be in Technology sector, but I haven't frozen on the industry yet. Am open to exploring my options during MBA. My primary aim is career progression (hopefully into senior mgmt. of organizations) and a Great Global brand on my resume...

Any help or suggestions about how to make this choice are much appreciated...plzzz share thoughts :)
[/quote]
LBS Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2019, 01:58
Even though I am a big Oxford fan, most people agree on Judge being the better business school
Re: Oxford Said or Cambridge Judge?   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2019, 01:58

Oxford Said or Cambridge Judge?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate