Last visit was: 24 May 2024, 12:33 It is currently 24 May 2024, 12:33
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10075 [0]
Given Kudos: 4547
Test: Test
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: To Veterans: Myths about the Tuck MBA, Debunked

By Jarett Berke T’17

Jarett is a second-year student and a former USMC pilot.

Hosted by the Armed Forces Alumni Association (AFAA), Tuck Military Visit Day, themed “Setting You Up for Success," will be Monday, May 1, 2017. During the event, you’ll get a chance to see what distinguishes Tuck among top-tier business schools and what you need to know to transition from the military into the right MBA program. Register here.

The thought of applying to an MBA program and separating from the military can be intimidating. For years, we have had a steady paycheck backed by the U.S. Government, where layoffs were improbable and pay raises and promotions happened on a schedule. We’ve established ourselves within our respective communities, and our families have developed close relationships with others in our commands, squadrons, or platoons. As you think about separating, it is hard to judge whether you’ll get into a school that you want to attend or if you’ll find your dream job two years later. Having been in your shoes and speaking with prospective veteran students with similar concerns, I think it may be useful to cover some of the most common myths that I hear about both the MBA and Tuck. So here it goes:

Myth: Being older puts you at a disadvantage. 

Totally false for two reasons. First, the Admissions department is really trying to ensure that applicants have the minimum level of experience (not maximum). They realize that there are natural transition points in our careers, and often that makes us a few years older than the average non-military applicant—and that is completely normal. Second, the maturity, experience, and poise that often comes with age are a major benefit to your classmates and the school. If anything, I would say that being older is actually an advantage.     

Myth: My partner won’t be able to find a job.

Untrue. There may not be as many companies in the Upper Valley as New York or Boston, but there is certainly a need for smart, driven, and hard-working people. Unemployment in the area last year got down to 1.9%, and there is no shortage of really interesting companies. A quick search on a job posting webpage probably won’t show much, but that doesn’t mean jobs aren’t available. Many partners end up working for Tuck, Dartmouth, or the hospital, and there are scores of very successful small businesses always in need to high quality people. If your partner reaches out to the Tuck Partner Network, he/she can get tied into the job market early.

Myth: My GMAT score is the most important part of my application.

Wrong. The GMAT is just one piece of the puzzle, and you should think of it as a hurdle. If your GMAT is very weak, your application may not be seriously considered. On average, veterans’ GMAT scores are on the left side of the distribution. There is no magic number, but you want to be in the middle-80 percent range or else you need to bring something to the table that makes you really valuable. Additionally, Admissions also recommends practicing the GRE to see which one best highlights your abilities. Ultimately, the Admissions department looks at the whole person, including: experience, essays, interview, GPA, GMAT (or GRE), and career goals. Make sure you focus on all aspects of your candidacy, not just the GMAT.

Myth: A part-time MBA is equally as valuable.

I disagree. Part-time or “executive” MBAs are great for people who want to take the next step in a career they ARE ALREADY IN. If you are pivoting (like all veterans), a top-tier full-time MBA puts you in a different population. You become an MBA with a military background, not a military person with an MBA. This may sound trivial, but it makes a big difference to employers. Plus, taking two years to focus on yourself is an opportunity you may never have again.

Myth: Getting an MBA if you have kids is not ideal.

False. I have three kids, and this has been the best two years of our lives. About half the vets here have kids and our friend group is very strong. I think being a father makes me more disciplined with my time than many of my single classmates, and I have spent more time with my family than I ever have and probably ever will. You may accrue a bit more debt if you have kids, but your potential future earnings far exceed what they would be without a top-tier MBA. My kids love our neighborhood and school so much that they have pretty much refused to leave—so we’re staying here after graduation. The Hanover/Norwich schools are some of the best in the nation, it’s safe, and the people here are very nice. Getting an MBA if you have kids may not be ideal in New York or Boston, but it has been an amazing experience in Hanover, NH, and I would choose this path again if I had the chance.

Myth: Vets don’t add much value to study groups.

Incorrect. Military officers spend their careers making important decisions with limited information. We figure stuff out. We are quick learners, and we can get things done. The courses in business school go deep on a range of topics, and while there may be a few topics that someone in your group has experience in, the majority of the curriculum is new to everyone. Your ability to learn quickly, figure things out, and communicate effectively make you VERY valuable to the teams you are a part of.

Myth: Tuck is a consulting school.

Not really. The third largest employer last year was Amazon. You’re right, we send a lot to the big consulting firms, but tech, banks, health care, and general management roles are just as popular.

Myth: You probably don’t need snow tires in Hanover, NH.

Ridiculous! Snow tires can turn a Porsche into a little snow crushing machine. Spend a little extra on snow tires and some good outdoor apparel, and the cold season will become your winter wonderland.  Okay, this isn’t a myth I come across often, but seriously, snow tires are worth it.     
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
This is so nerve wracking! Still doesn't look like they've gotten to my part of the US yet, but I've been on the edge of my chair all day
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Anyone from Latam get a call today?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Just got the call! Couldn't be more thrilled

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Welp, that's a spirit breaker...

Thought I put together a great application and my interview went extremely well. Maybe a miracle will happen tomorrow morning, but I won't be holding my breath.

0 for 3 on apps so far. Just need either Yale or Darden to come through for me and I'll be very happy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
mgo113 wrote:

Thought I put together a great application and my interview went extremely well. Maybe a miracle will happen tomorrow morning, but I won't be holding my breath.

0 for 3 on apps so far. Just need either Yale or Darden to come through for me and I'll be very happy

Hey man,

hang in there. you're not alone. it is all going to work out. and really i know that you are going to do great. just have faith in yourself. its going to work out.
Intern
Intern
Status:No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Has anyone from Europe / CIS received a call?
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vanmotan wrote:

One applicant from Norway reported call few hours back on Decision Tracker.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10075 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
9 Admits so far.
2 US, 2 China, and 1 applicant from Canada, Afganistan, Argentina, Mexico, and Norway each. Nothing for Indians and Brazilians yet. Good luck to rest all applicants!

Attachment:
Tuck R2.png
Tuck R2.png [ 146.49 KiB | Viewed 3095 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Tuck '19 (I)
Send PM
Narenn wrote:
Vanmotan wrote:

One applicant from Norway reported call few hours back on Decision Tracker.

I saw that one from England and one from Spain received a call. I am from Russia and I have not heard about any calls to Russia.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Decision day. Hope they're still making calls today - good luck! Someone on livewire said they called the adcom, and they said they had calls still left to go.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
applicant1234 wrote:
Decision day. Hope they're still making calls today - good luck! Someone on livewire said they called the adcom, and they said they had calls still left to go.

I'm not getting my hopes up. Really bummed about this result. Whatever these schools are looking for, I don't have it.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply

Those who are waiting can join us in chat room4 https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat4.php?fl=menu

Intern
Intern
Status:No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
mr7183 wrote:
applicant1234 wrote:

I'm not getting my hopes up. Really bummed about this result. Whatever these schools are looking for, I don't have it.

Same feelings, man.
The sun goes down and nobody calls.
I gave it a shot and will postpone my application for 1 year.

Good luck to everybody!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
minhas3 wrote:
mgo113 wrote:

Hey man,

hang in there. you're not alone. it is all going to work out. and really i know that you are going to do great. just have faith in yourself. its going to work out.

Thanks. Encouraging words. MBA is not a be-all and end-all...or at least that's what I keep telling myself!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
This is what I think based on the information available so far.
14% applications listed here compared to last year's applications. And 71 admits.

Specifically whoever is in Energy / Utility side:
Generally 2% to 6% students are from this sector. So let's assume about 12 to 15 students from this area at Tuck.
Even from these 71 admits, about 5 to 6 belong to the sector.
So, it is safe to assume that they have that 'quota' filled.

Of course, there is no magic formula and neither I claim that nobody from that sector will be admitted in this or next round anymore - this is my speculation / educated guess.

Thus, it is even harder to get off the waitlist from this sector - the position that I am in.

With the results of this round, I am almost hanging up my boots here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Got the call yesterday! So excited to be a part of this community!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6944 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts