Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Originally posted by noogy on 17 Nov 2017, 13:27.
Last edited by noogy on 19 Dec 2019, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]
GlengarryRoss wrote:
Having done interviews with professionals (adcom members) this is the first one done with a 2nd year student. Not a good experience at all. Without revealing too much details, lets just say Rice needs to train its second year students more. Really was night and day. I can see now why some forum members hate the idea of a student interview.

I think so as long as all the interviews are done by 2nd years then that's fair. Looking back at my interview I guess I had to repeat a few things that I already mentioned in my essays. An interview with a member of adcoms would definitely be more probing with difficult questions.

I was just wondering how the adcoms evaluates the interview response. My interviewer kept taking notes and I couldn't tell if she was copying what I said verbatim or just paraphrasing what I was saying.

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GPA: 1
Send PM
SUPERSARS wrote:
GlengarryRoss wrote:
Having done interviews with professionals (adcom members) this is the first one done with a 2nd year student. Not a good experience at all. Without revealing too much details, lets just say Rice needs to train its second year students more. Really was night and day. I can see now why some forum members hate the idea of a student interview.

I think so as long as all the interviews are done by 2nd years then that's fair. Looking back at my interview I guess I had to repeat a few things that I already mentioned in my essays. An interview with a member of adcoms would definitely be more probing with difficult questions.

I was just wondering how the adcoms evaluates the interview response. My interviewer kept taking notes and I couldn't tell if she was copying what I said verbatim or just paraphrasing what I was saying.

I rather have probing questions that are consistent across the board then hope to matched with a 2nd year student who you hope to mesh well with, and depending on his / her personality type could easily make the difference between a soft (conversational) or hard review.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q168 V164
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
avdgmat4777 wrote:
schee410 wrote:
avdgmat4777 wrote:
Hey guys,
Any interview experiences from 16th?
Who took the interview ?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Interviewed yesterday with Amy, a 2nd year student.

I think it went well, it was very informal and low key. I got the standard questions that are listed everywehere.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why an MBA?
3. Why Jones?
4. What are your short and long term goals?
5. Give me an example of leadership
6. How do you work in a team effectively?
7. What clubs/organizations/activities are you interested in participating in?
8. Any questions for me?

Good. Pretty standard questions. How many minutes did it approximately last?

Hey kummere, what about you?

Interview ended up going almost 40 minutes, it was very conversational so it was easy to lose track of time.

From speaking with a recent graduate who was an interviewer in her 2nd year, a large number of the candidates are recommended so I have no clue how much weight is put into the interview process. I'd imagine it's more to weed out those who bomb the process than anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Does anyone has received any feedback for the interview process?

I read on the Rice's previous year forum that Rice sends interview feedback but I have not yet received any eventhough my interview was on 3rd Nov.
Current Student
Send PM
schee410 wrote:

Interview ended up going almost 40 minutes, it was very conversational so it was easy to lose track of time.

From speaking with a recent graduate who was an interviewer in her 2nd year, a large number of the candidates are recommended so I have no clue how much weight is put into the interview process. I'd imagine it's more to weed out those who bomb the process than anything.

I didn't really fully understand what you said in the last paragraph. Are you saying that most candidates are invited to interview or that if you were invited then you have a strong chance of getting admitted?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
SUPERSARS wrote:

I didn't really fully understand what you said in the last paragraph. Are you saying that most candidates are invited to interview or that if you were invited then you have a strong chance of getting admitted?

This year at least, all first round applicants were invited to interview, not sure if that's true for previous years or not. The person I spoke to mentioned that she had written positive recommendations for most of the people she interviewed, but a lot of them didn't get admitted, hence my doubt about how important the interview is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
schee410 wrote:
SUPERSARS wrote:

This year at least, all first round applicants were invited to interview, not sure if that's true for previous years or not. The person I spoke to mentioned that she had written positive recommendations for most of the people she interviewed, but a lot of them didn't get admitted, hence my doubt about how important the interview is.

Are they already sending out admits/dings for people interviewed earlier this month?

PS, for all curious, my interview early this week was completely standard. No curveball questions, and the ones that were asked have already been outlined in previous posts in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
schee410 wrote:
SUPERSARS wrote:

I do not think all the candidates who submitted for round 1 got an interview invitation.
Current Student
Send PM
kummere wrote:

Are they already sending out admits/dings for people interviewed earlier this month?

PS, for all curious, my interview early this week was completely standard. No curveball questions, and the ones that were asked have already been outlined in previous posts in this thread.

No. Rice will send out all admits on Dec. 15th. I'm not sure if they have admit packages like other schools but I'm sure if they do, admitted students will probably find out a few days before this date when they receive packages from Houston through the local post/courier service.

For the record, Rice had 2 Round 1 deadlines. The first one was Oct 5th and for some reason (I suggest it was due to low number of applications) they pushed back this deadline by a month after the first one had elapsed. So we are talking about 2 batches of applications but they will announce all final results together in mid-December.
Current Student
Send PM
avdgmat4777 wrote:

I do not think all the candidates who submitted for round 1 got an interview invitation.

What makes you think that? Rice get almost 900 applications every year so I suppose they could interview (almost) everyone, especially if its only the 2nd year students who do the interviewing.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SUPERSARS wrote:
avdgmat4777 wrote:

What makes you think that? Rice get almost 900 applications every year so I suppose they could interview (almost) everyone, especially if its only the 2nd year students who do the interviewing.

For two reasons:
1. Someone who is not the right fit for Jones.
2. Someone who has not prepared a good essay or anyone with very low GMAT.

Additionally, I believe that only the FT Ambassadors take the interview (only a few exceptions). So imagine how many students should an ambassador interview to hit that 900 number...
Current Student
Send PM
avdgmat4777 wrote:
SUPERSARS wrote:
avdgmat4777 wrote:

For two reasons:
1. Someone who is not the right fit for Jones.
2. Someone who has not prepared a good essay or anyone with very low GMAT.

Additionally, I believe that only the FT Ambassadors take the interview (only a few exceptions). So imagine how many students should an ambassador interview to hit that 900 number...

Sure. Of course.

I meant that they could interview if they wanted. The 900 number is the total number of applications they would need to evaluate over 3 rounds. So thats around 300 per round (on average). That would take about 20 students around 2 weeks to go through all the interviews. Who knows?

The key here is that everyone is interviewed by 2nd years, which makes sense as everyone's application gets treated equally. I would assume that they would have to go through the essays and recommendations one final time in addition to the interview notes to make a final decision. Anyway good luck to everyone, only 3 weeks left!! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
avdgmat4777 wrote:

I received a generic email stating that I was guaranteed an interview if I submitted my application by November 1, I figured it wasn't targeted to me but I could be wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Kudos
SUPERSARS wrote:
kummere wrote:

No. Rice will send out all admits on Dec. 15th. I'm not sure if they have admit packages like other schools but I'm sure if they do, admitted students will probably find out a few days before this date when they receive packages from Houston through the local post/courier service.

For the record, Rice had 2 Round 1 deadlines. The first one was Oct 5th and for some reason (I suggest it was due to low number of applications) they pushed back this deadline by a month after the first one had elapsed. So we are talking about 2 batches of applications but they will announce all final results together in mid-December.

Many applicants from the Houston area were struggling to meet the “first” round one deadline because they were dealing with the Hurricane that hit the region around that time. I was told they moved that deadline to make up for that time during a campus visit

Current Student
Send PM
Detinmarin wrote:
SUPERSARS wrote:
kummere wrote:

Many applicants from the Houston area were struggling to meet the “first” round one deadline because they were dealing with the Hurricane that hit the region around that time. I was told they moved that deadline to make up for that time during a campus visit

Fair enough. I completely understand how that hurricane could have been a problem for so many.

But they also changed the 1st question options. They added a written essay option so that the 3 min video was no longer mandatory. That was strange. Maybe they thought that a compulsory 3 min video would put off so many potential applicants? Who knows?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM