GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 04:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Posts: 148
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2018, 07:25
Jessiejiao wrote:
Hi all, do you know when Rice will release the decision for R2 applicants after interview? Thank you.


The decision date is 31 Mar, but not sure if they release decisions early.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 515
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2018, 07:32
1
MbaRacer wrote:
Jessiejiao wrote:
Hi all, do you know when Rice will release the decision for R2 applicants after interview? Thank you.


The decision date is 31 Mar, but not sure if they release decisions early.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Last year the deadlines were as per below :
The 2016-2017 Rice / Jones Full-time MBA Deadlines are:

Round 1

Application Deadline: October 5, 2016

Decision Notification: December 15, 2016

Round 2

Application Deadline: January 9, 2017

Decision Notification: April 5, 2017

Round 3

Application Deadline: April 7, 2017

Decision Notification: May 10, 2017


But the results for R2 started coming out on and around 13-Mar-17.

So, we can hope a similar turnaround time this year as well.

Plus if I am not wrong even the R1 results were early by a couple of weeks..
R1 admits can confirm that ...

Hope that helps.
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Location: China
GMAT 1: 670 Q51 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.58
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2018, 07:34
MbaRacer wrote:
Jessiejiao wrote:
Hi all, do you know when Rice will release the decision for R2 applicants after interview? Thank you.


The decision date is 31 Mar, but not sure if they release decisions early.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Thank you! it is not a rolling decision. keep fingers crossed!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Posts: 34
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V46
GPA: 2.72
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 00:31
Do you think it matters whether an alum or second year interviews? is one more difficult than the other? Some schools im applying to have the option of both
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Posts: 34
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V46
GPA: 2.72
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 00:33
Also kind of wondering if student ambassadors have an influence in the admissions process, I've spoken to a variety of student ambassadors and wonder if they play any role or are asked up for their advice/viewed positively that you are reaching out
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.31
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 22:15
Hey,

I had my interview on 2/2 through zoom.

As was the case with everyone else, I had a second year took the interview.
1. Walk me through your experience
2. Why MBA?
3. Conflict situation and how you resolved it.
4. Why Rice ?
5.Questions for me .

30 mins, there were follow up questions on each of the questions
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
G
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 166
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 13:11
mihir0710 wrote:
MbaRacer wrote:
Jessiejiao wrote:
Hi all, do you know when Rice will release the decision for R2 applicants after interview? Thank you.


The decision date is 31 Mar, but not sure if they release decisions early.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Last year the deadlines were as per below :
The 2016-2017 Rice / Jones Full-time MBA Deadlines are:

Round 1

Application Deadline: October 5, 2016

Decision Notification: December 15, 2016

Round 2

Application Deadline: January 9, 2017

Decision Notification: April 5, 2017

Round 3

Application Deadline: April 7, 2017

Decision Notification: May 10, 2017


But the results for R2 started coming out on and around 13-Mar-17.

So, we can hope a similar turnaround time this year as well.

Plus if I am not wrong even the R1 results were early by a couple of weeks..
R1 admits can confirm that ...

Hope that helps.

I can confirm that most R1 applicants who got in learned of the decision a week before the date. But others who were dinged or waitlisted heard on Dec 15th.

Having said that it could be due to the lower application numbers in R1 vs R2. So even if you don't hear a week before R2 announcement date dont be diacouraged.

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

Kindly click on the +1 Kudos if you found my post helpful. Thank you! :)

|
|
|
V

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 515
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 02:43
SUPERSARS wrote:
mihir0710 wrote:

Last year the deadlines were as per below :
The 2016-2017 Rice / Jones Full-time MBA Deadlines are:

Round 1

Application Deadline: October 5, 2016

Decision Notification: December 15, 2016

Round 2

Application Deadline: January 9, 2017

Decision Notification: April 5, 2017

Round 3

Application Deadline: April 7, 2017

Decision Notification: May 10, 2017


But the results for R2 started coming out on and around 13-Mar-17.

So, we can hope a similar turnaround time this year as well.

Plus if I am not wrong even the R1 results were early by a couple of weeks..
R1 admits can confirm that ...

Hope that helps.

I can confirm that most R1 applicants who got in learned of the decision a week before the date. But others who were dinged or waitlisted heard on Dec 15th.

Having said that it could be due to the lower application numbers in R1 vs R2. So even if you don't hear a week before R2 announcement date dont be diacouraged.

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app



Lower no. of applications in R1 ??? I too had a similar understanding but after looking at the GMATClub data, I seriously doubt that !!!

Its almost the same !!!
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jan 2018
Posts: 22
Location: China
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.36
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 03:13
Hey, I got my admission call on Dec.14, not that early, so, don't worry yet.
Admitted
16 Oct, 2017
flurday GMAT: 700, Q48, V39; GPA: 3.2; WE: 72 months; United States; via Phone
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Dec 2016
Posts: 75
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 05:50
SUPERSARS wrote:
mihir0710 wrote:
MbaRacer wrote:
[quote="Jessiejiao"]Hi all, do you know when Rice will release the decision for R2 applicants after interview? Thank you.


The decision date is 31 Mar, but not sure if they release decisions early.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Last year the deadlines were as per below :
The 2016-2017 Rice / Jones Full-time MBA Deadlines are:

Round 1

Application Deadline: October 5, 2016

Decision Notification: December 15, 2016

Round 2

Application Deadline: January 9, 2017

Decision Notification: April 5, 2017

Round 3

Application Deadline: April 7, 2017

Decision Notification: May 10, 2017


But the results for R2 started coming out on and around 13-Mar-17.

So, we can hope a similar turnaround time this year as well.

Plus if I am not wrong even the R1 results were early by a couple of weeks..
R1 admits can confirm that ...

Hope that helps.

I can confirm that most R1 applicants who got in learned of the decision a week before the date. But others who were dinged or waitlisted heard on Dec 15th.

Having said that it could be due to the lower application numbers in R1 vs R2. So even if you don't hear a week before R2 announcement date dont be diacouraged.

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/quote]
I got my acceptance call also just a day or two before the deadline.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Dec 2017
Posts: 10
Schools: Jones '20 (S)
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 20:31
I wrote the rice MBA asking for the status update of my application. I received a reply saying "We have received your application, it is complete and under review. All decisions will be released on March 30th"

Does that mean it is a reject or a waitlist?? or do I still have chances to receive an invite for interview?
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 08:47
boom7 wrote:
I wrote the rice MBA asking for the status update of my application. I received a reply saying "We have received your application, it is complete and under review. All decisions will be released on March 30th"

Does that mean it is a reject or a waitlist?? or do I still have chances to receive an invite for interview?



I'd treat it as they are not willing to give more details to you - yet.
Yes, the probability of what you are assuming is greater, but unless they are sure of admitting one, they wouldn't disclose their strategy.
Think, they are still interviewing, reviewing files and what if your file is on the fence?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Posts: 24
Schools: NUS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 01:31
MbaRacer wrote:
MbaRacer wrote:
choudharyakshay wrote:
[quote="MbaRacer"]

Hey, you will not get any communication. The interviewer will contact you just a few minutes before interview...



Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Thanks!


How was your interview and who took it?[/quote]
Hey! Sorry for the delayed response. My interview was taken by a current student (Class of 2018). It was pretty standard in terms of an MBA interview. I didn't face any curve balls as such. Waiting for the results to be out.
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 08:22
choudharyakshay wrote:
Hey! Sorry for the delayed response. My interview was taken by a current student (Class of 2018). It was pretty standard in terms of an MBA interview. I didn't face any curve balls as such. Waiting for the results to be out.



All the best.
With your GMAT and easy - smooth interview, it seems you have a great chance here.
May I ask what other schools you are looking at?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 25
Location: United States (TX)
Schools: Jones '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.53
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 08:52
I'm hopeful we'll start receiving admissions notifications in early-mid March like last year. With Jones being the only school I've applied to, the waiting game looms large.
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 09:46
texasteacher wrote:
I'm hopeful we'll start receiving admissions notifications in early-mid March like last year. With Jones being the only school I've applied to, the waiting game looms large.



Just one school!!
That is pretty darn move, if I may. But I also certain, you must have a good reason for that - not many do that without one.
But hey, as I deduct from your screen name here (apologize if wrong in my assumption), you are a teacher and they make a really great acceptance rate. So, I guess you don't have as much to worry about as many others.
All the best.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Posts: 24
Schools: NUS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 10:14
hiren2011 wrote:
choudharyakshay wrote:
Hey! Sorry for the delayed response. My interview was taken by a current student (Class of 2018). It was pretty standard in terms of an MBA interview. I didn't face any curve balls as such. Waiting for the results to be out.



All the best.
With your GMAT and easy - smooth interview, it seems you have a great chance here.
May I ask what other schools you are looking at?

Interviewed with KF as well. Dinged by Ross and Columbia. Awaiting NUS MBA's interview call, hopefully.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 25
Location: United States (TX)
Schools: Jones '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.53
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 10:17
hiren2011 wrote:
texasteacher wrote:
I'm hopeful we'll start receiving admissions notifications in early-mid March like last year. With Jones being the only school I've applied to, the waiting game looms large.



Just one school!!
That is pretty darn move, if I may. But I also certain, you must have a good reason for that - not many do that without one.
But hey, as I deduct from your screen name here (apologize if wrong in my assumption), you are a teacher and they make a really great acceptance rate. So, I guess you don't have as much to worry about as many others.
All the best.


You're correct, I've been an educator for some time. Prior to, I was a defense contractor. I'm a father of two with a wife deeply entrenched in the Texas Medical Center; in choosing to make roots in Houston 10 years ago, part of my decision was based upon the availability of Rice University and everything the greater Houston area has to offer. While Rice is my "dream" school, it's been a part of my plan for a decade, and I felt confident that my story and experience would appeal to admissions. I'm not willing to uproot my family and the other MBA programs local to me can't provide the platform Jones can, so my decision to apply to a singular program is a calculated gamble. That said, no level of confidence trumps the unknown, and I'll be happy to learn of the verdict, just so I can reevaluate where I stand and determine how to move forward! Best of luck as you decide where to invest your time and effort in graduate school!
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 14:36
1
texasteacher wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:
texasteacher wrote:
I'm hopeful we'll start receiving admissions notifications in early-mid March like last year. With Jones being the only school I've applied to, the waiting game looms large.



Just one school!!
That is pretty darn move, if I may. But I also certain, you must have a good reason for that - not many do that without one.
But hey, as I deduct from your screen name here (apologize if wrong in my assumption), you are a teacher and they make a really great acceptance rate. So, I guess you don't have as much to worry about as many others.
All the best.


You're correct, I've been an educator for some time. Prior to, I was a defense contractor. I'm a father of two with a wife deeply entrenched in the Texas Medical Center; in choosing to make roots in Houston 10 years ago, part of my decision was based upon the availability of Rice University and everything the greater Houston area has to offer. While Rice is my "dream" school, it's been a part of my plan for a decade, and I felt confident that my story and experience would appeal to admissions. I'm not willing to uproot my family and the other MBA programs local to me can't provide the platform Jones can, so my decision to apply to a singular program is a calculated gamble. That said, no level of confidence trumps the unknown, and I'll be happy to learn of the verdict, just so I can reevaluate where I stand and determine how to move forward! Best of luck as you decide where to invest your time and effort in graduate school!




Agreed.
At this stage in life - with wife, kids, and their settled life, it is just very difficult to uproot them and start over.
I am not too far either. I have a month and a half old and I am settled in Calgary, Canada. I was in Houston for a majority of 2016, and I love that city too. That is one of the reason for me to apply there. Add to that my parents were in Katy until November - they just moved to San Antonio (not too far anyway) for a better job.
So, I hear you and completely agree with your decision.
I just would apply to a few more programs nearby. Based on last year's experience of applying to schools. There is a certainly some randomness to the application and admission process that we can't overcome with best stats, best essays, best interviews.
But hey, as long as it works out, it will be all good.
Wish you the best man.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! &nbs [#permalink] 22 Feb 2018, 14:36

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  17    Next  [ 330 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.