It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Jones '20 (S)
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 20:31
I wrote the rice MBA asking for the status update of my application. I received a reply saying "We have received your application, it is complete and under review. All decisions will be released on March 30th"

Does that mean it is a reject or a waitlist?? or do I still have chances to receive an invite for interview?
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 08:47
boom7 wrote:
I wrote the rice MBA asking for the status update of my application. I received a reply saying "We have received your application, it is complete and under review. All decisions will be released on March 30th"

Does that mean it is a reject or a waitlist?? or do I still have chances to receive an invite for interview?

I'd treat it as they are not willing to give more details to you - yet.
Yes, the probability of what you are assuming is greater, but unless they are sure of admitting one, they wouldn't disclose their strategy.
Think, they are still interviewing, reviewing files and what if your file is on the fence?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: NUS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 01:31
MbaRacer wrote:
MbaRacer wrote:
choudharyakshay wrote:
[quote="MbaRacer"]

Hey, you will not get any communication. The interviewer will contact you just a few minutes before interview...

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Thanks!

How was your interview and who took it?[/quote]
Hey! Sorry for the delayed response. My interview was taken by a current student (Class of 2018). It was pretty standard in terms of an MBA interview. I didn't face any curve balls as such. Waiting for the results to be out.
Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 08:22
choudharyakshay wrote:
Hey! Sorry for the delayed response. My interview was taken by a current student (Class of 2018). It was pretty standard in terms of an MBA interview. I didn't face any curve balls as such. Waiting for the results to be out.

All the best.
With your GMAT and easy - smooth interview, it seems you have a great chance here.
May I ask what other schools you are looking at?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Jones '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.53

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 08:52
I'm hopeful we'll start receiving admissions notifications in early-mid March like last year. With Jones being the only school I've applied to, the waiting game looms large.
Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 09:46
texasteacher wrote:
I'm hopeful we'll start receiving admissions notifications in early-mid March like last year. With Jones being the only school I've applied to, the waiting game looms large.

Just one school!!
That is pretty darn move, if I may. But I also certain, you must have a good reason for that - not many do that without one.
But hey, as I deduct from your screen name here (apologize if wrong in my assumption), you are a teacher and they make a really great acceptance rate. So, I guess you don't have as much to worry about as many others.
All the best.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: NUS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 10:14
hiren2011 wrote:
choudharyakshay wrote:

All the best.
With your GMAT and easy - smooth interview, it seems you have a great chance here.

Interviewed with KF as well. Dinged by Ross and Columbia. Awaiting NUS MBA's interview call, hopefully.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 10:17
hiren2011 wrote:
texasteacher wrote:

Just one school!!
That is pretty darn move, if I may. But I also certain, you must have a good reason for that - not many do that without one.
But hey, as I deduct from your screen name here (apologize if wrong in my assumption), you are a teacher and they make a really great acceptance rate. So, I guess you don't have as much to worry about as many others.
All the best.

You're correct, I've been an educator for some time. Prior to, I was a defense contractor. I'm a father of two with a wife deeply entrenched in the Texas Medical Center; in choosing to make roots in Houston 10 years ago, part of my decision was based upon the availability of Rice University and everything the greater Houston area has to offer. While Rice is my "dream" school, it's been a part of my plan for a decade, and I felt confident that my story and experience would appeal to admissions. I'm not willing to uproot my family and the other MBA programs local to me can't provide the platform Jones can, so my decision to apply to a singular program is a calculated gamble. That said, no level of confidence trumps the unknown, and I'll be happy to learn of the verdict, just so I can reevaluate where I stand and determine how to move forward! Best of luck as you decide where to invest your time and effort in graduate school!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
texasteacher wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:
texasteacher wrote:

Just one school!!
All the best.

You're correct, I've been an educator for some time. Prior to, I was a defense contractor. I'm a father of two with a wife deeply entrenched in the Texas Medical Center; in choosing to make roots in Houston 10 years ago, part of my decision was based upon the availability of Rice University and everything the greater Houston area has to offer. While Rice is my "dream" school, it's been a part of my plan for a decade, and I felt confident that my story and experience would appeal to admissions. I'm not willing to uproot my family and the other MBA programs local to me can't provide the platform Jones can, so my decision to apply to a singular program is a calculated gamble. That said, no level of confidence trumps the unknown, and I'll be happy to learn of the verdict, just so I can reevaluate where I stand and determine how to move forward! Best of luck as you decide where to invest your time and effort in graduate school!

Agreed.
At this stage in life - with wife, kids, and their settled life, it is just very difficult to uproot them and start over.
I am not too far either. I have a month and a half old and I am settled in Calgary, Canada. I was in Houston for a majority of 2016, and I love that city too. That is one of the reason for me to apply there. Add to that my parents were in Katy until November - they just moved to San Antonio (not too far anyway) for a better job.
So, I hear you and completely agree with your decision.
I just would apply to a few more programs nearby. Based on last year's experience of applying to schools. There is a certainly some randomness to the application and admission process that we can't overcome with best stats, best essays, best interviews.
But hey, as long as it works out, it will be all good.
Wish you the best man.
Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 14:43
choudharyakshay wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:
choudharyakshay wrote:

All the best.

Interviewed with KF as well. Dinged by Ross and Columbia. Awaiting NUS MBA's interview call, hopefully.

All the best with KFBS and NUS. KFBS is good too.
Yeah, Ross is pretty selective - specifically for the career path that we have chosen. Columbia is pretty expenseive, so I never applied there.
1 KUDOS received
IMD Thread Master
IMD Thread Master
B
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
Today, I received a hand-written card with a personal message from my interviewer.
I must say Rice is a college that knows how to take the applicant engagement to another level altogether.
I am really touched by this gesture and I hope that they send an admit too.
Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 16:09
gauravs2 wrote:
Today, I received a hand-written card with a personal message from my interviewer.
I must say Rice is a college that knows how to take the applicant engagement to another level altogether.
I am really touched by this gesture and I hope that they send an admit too.

Yeah. As much as I am aware, that is the only school doing that and it is awesome.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 06:22
Anyone has an idea, when can we expect the results for R2? I guess they declare it earlier than the said date?
Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 09:41
GMATblock wrote:
Anyone has an idea, when can we expect the results for R2? I guess they declare it earlier than the said date?

Yeah, they send out results a few days earlier. That, unfortunately, means no interviews in the last few days - for the folks who are still waiting.
But if you don't hear back until last day, the probability also increases of ding / WL - for those who interviewed.

Trust me, it is painful to see people starting to post that they got admitted and you are still waiting. With every passing day, the chances getting slimmer and you know that.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview on Friday.
It was a crazy beginning. The email I was sent a few days back was an outlook email attachment within the email. So, I wasn't able to open it and I thought it was just a calendar entry or so.
At the time of the interview, I had to ask the interviewer to send me the link directly. Luckily, I had Zoom installed on my computer, so that didn't take long.
Additionally, the quality wasn't perfect - the sound was trailing and some jitters. Now, I have used the same connection, the same location for other interviews and had no issues before!!
But anyway, the interview was a typical one. Can't say if I am upbeat about it, but certainly not disappointed either. I really love Rice - culturally and for the career opportunities that I am interested in. Have you noticed the yield rate of it?
Anyway, now it is only about 'wait and watch' mode.
All the best to all.
BSchool Thread Master
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 10:00
hiren2011 wrote:
It was a crazy beginning. The email I was sent a few days back was an outlook email attachment within the email. So, I wasn't able to open it and I thought it was just a calendar entry or so.
At the time of the interview, I had to ask the interviewer to send me the link directly. Luckily, I had Zoom installed on my computer, so that didn't take long.
Additionally, the quality wasn't perfect - the sound was trailing and some jitters. Now, I have used the same connection, the same location for other interviews and had no issues before!!
But anyway, the interview was a typical one. Can't say if I am upbeat about it, but certainly not disappointed either. I really love Rice - culturally and for the career opportunities that I am interested in. Have you noticed the yield rate of it?
All the best to all.

What is the yield percentage of the class of 2019?

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kindly click on the +1 Kudos if you found my post helpful. Thank you! :)

|
|
|
V

Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 10:21
SUPERSARS wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:
All the best to all.

What is the yield percentage of the class of 2019?

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I don't have data for 2019.
But historically it has stayed just above 50%. Which is very comparable to T15 (and at times better) schools.
Rice serves a specific market in the region and the school, including dean Rodriguez is unapologetic about it. I think, that is the school's strength. Additionally, Rice has also ranked fairly on happy and satisfied students.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Olin '20 (M)
GRE 1: 322 Q161 V161
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 10:15
Does anyone know when Welcome Weekend is?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.36

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 00:46
msfan12 wrote:
Does anyone know when Welcome Weekend is?

Posted from my mobile device

Next one is April 12-13
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
Just received an admissions call with some money, so hopefully those of you who are international will start hearing things soon!
Re: Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2018, 13:07

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  14    Next  [ 263 posts ] 

Calling all Rice (Jones) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap