It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 17:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PARALLELISM: use of un/necessary words

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PARALLELISM: use of un/necessary words [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 02:42
Dear all,

Could anyone clarify me please the following:

1) The consultant is looking for a cafe that has confortable chairs and THAT provides free internet access.

--> I do not understand why the use of THAT is neceessary considering that there is a parallel structure.

2) Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than TO face low salaries in the city.

--> Why here the use of TO is wrong?

3) In california, unlike IN florida, the humidity is moderate.

--> Why we cannot use IN? Because then "unlike" would be comparing clauses?

Thank you very much!!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

PARALLELISM: use of un/necessary words [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 04:15
The consultant is looking for a cafe that has comfortable chairs and THAT provides free internet access.
Meaning: The consultant is looking for a cafe that has comfortable chairs and The consultant is looking for a cafe that provides free internet access.

The consultant is looking for a cafe that has comfortable chairs and provides free internet access.
Meaning: The consultant is looking for a cafe that has comfortable chairs and The consultant provides free internet access.

Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than TO face low salaries in the city.
Meaning: Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than Many teachers choose to face low salaries in the
city.

Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than face low salaries in the city.
Meaning: Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than Many teachers face low salaries in the
city.

In California, unlike IN Florida, the humidity is moderate.
Meaning: Humidity is moderate in California, but Humidity is not moderate in Florida.

In California, unlike IN Florida, the humidity is moderate.
Meaning: Humidity is moderate in California, but Humidity is not moderate Florida.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Re: PARALLELISM: use of un/necessary words [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 10:31
Thank you for your response.! It has helped. Sorry my late repply, i have been spinning around the grammar matter.

Then, regarding the first sentence, if i don’t use “that” and hence I want to mean (even if it doesn’t make much sense):The consultant is looking for a cafe [that has comfortable chairs] and provides free internet access ... I would need to repeat the subject (he; the consultant) after the “and” right? I cannot leave the complex sentence without a subject..?

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

D

Kudos [?]: 466 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 09:36
nuriaa wrote:
Thank you for your response.! It has helped. Sorry my late repply, i have been spinning around the grammar matter.

Then, regarding the first sentence, if i don’t use “that” and hence I want to mean (even if it doesn’t make much sense):The consultant is looking for a cafe [that has comfortable chairs] and provides free internet access ... I would need to repeat the subject (he; the consultant) after the “and” right? I cannot leave the complex sentence without a subject..?

Thanks a lot!

Hi nuriaa,

The consultant is looking for a cafe [that has comfortable chairs] and provides free internet access

1. The consultant is looking for a cafe and The consultant/he provides free internet access (Correct Sentence)
2. The consultant is looking for a cafe and provides free internet access. (less words same meaning as #1, hence better)

So yes you do not necessarily need The consultant/he after "and".

Parallelism - When you connect two things with a connector then parallelism is all about having the right meaning come across clearly with repeated words removed only if there is no dual meaning coming out.

Explanation of the correct sentence:
The consultant is looking for a cafe that has confortable chairs and THAT provides free internet access.

here are two sentences that have been put in parallel in making of the one above:

The consultant is looking for a cafe that has confortable chairs.
The consultant is looking for a cafe THAT provides free internet access.

now if you blindly remove the repeated words then there might be meaning issue.

as you want to mean that cafe provides free access, you need to start with a THAT after "and". Not using THAT would mean the consultant is looking for something and consultant provides free internet access.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 466 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 09:50
HKD1710 wrote:
nuriaa wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Hi nuriaa,

The consultant is looking for a cafe [that has comfortable chairs] and provides free internet access

1. The consultant is looking for a cafe and The consultant/he provides free internet access (Correct Sentence)
2. The consultant is looking for a cafe and provides free internet access. (less words same meaning as #1, hence better)

So yes you do not necessarily need The consultant/he after "and".

Parallelism - When you connect two things with a connector then parallelism is all about having the right meaning come across clearly with repeated words removed only if there is no dual meaning coming out.

Explanation of the correct sentence:
The consultant is looking for a cafe that has confortable chairs and THAT provides free internet access.

here are two sentences that have been put in parallel in making of the one above:

The consultant is looking for a cafe that has confortable chairs.
The consultant is looking for a cafe THAT provides free internet access.

now if you blindly remove the repeated words then there might be meaning issue.

as you want to mean that cafe provides free access, you need to start with a THAT after "and". Not using THAT would mean the consultant is looking for something and consultant provides free internet access.

Correct explanation.
The 'that' helps in unambiguously specifying that the cafe should provide the free access,and not the consultant

Sent from my DUK-L09 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 20

Re: PARALLELISM: use of un/necessary words   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2017, 09:50

PARALLELISM: use of un/necessary words

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap