It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 04:52

TODAY:

MIT Sloan Releasing 1st Wave of Interview Invites - Join GMATClub CHAT for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poll: Kellogg vs UCLA ($) for Brand Management

new topic post reply Update application status  

Kellogg vs UCLA ($)

• 17% [3]
  • 82% [14]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Poll: Kellogg vs UCLA ($) for Brand Management [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 18:15
HI Gmat Club!

I'm struggling to make this decision...what are your thoughts???

Background: I come from a non-traditional background (BFA in Graphic Design) with 4+ years of professional experience in advertising. I was a designer for several years before moving to digital strategy.

Goal: Brand Management/Brand Planning at Nike. I currently live in Portland, OR. My fiancé is a real estate agent here, and we plan on living here permanently. He'll be staying here regardless of which school I attend. There aren't many large companies here in Portland, and only a handful large enough to have structured internship programs for MBA students. The main four are Intel, IBM, Nike, and Adidas. Intel and IBM would be terrible fits for me - i have no background in CS, engineering, etc and have no interest in tech. As such, Nike is my number one goal – Adidas would be #2.

Considerations:

Nike: Based on conversations with several current employees, past interns, recruiters, etc, I've discovered that, despite Kellogg's ranking for marketing, Nike does NOT recruit for a marketing role from Kellogg. They recruit for Strategic Planning, Data Analytics, and Finance OR Supply Chain (this has varied depending on who I spoke to). They recruit for Marketing & Supply Chain from UCLA and lately have recruited for Finance from there as well (the current CFO is an Anderson alum). To get the marketing position from Kellogg I would need to network my way in, vs going through a standard recruiting process at Anderson. Marketing internships at Nike are also the most competitive – typically there are only one or two interns total – but I'm doubtful I could recruit for any other role with my background.

Money: I'm going to be in a mountain of debt either way. UCLA is offering 40k, but I'm fairly sure that would be offset by the cost of living in LA vs Evanston. However, I did receive a forte fellowship. Not sure of the long-term benefits of the fellowship.

Location: Doesn't matter much. Not looking forward to the cold if I'm in Chicago, but either way, I want to end up back in Portland.

Gut: I would rather go to Kellogg. The M7 ranking matters to me – I feel like it will bolster my credibility down the line, given I went to art school for undergrad. But if UCLA would be an easier path to my goal, is that the better option? I felt like a good cultural fit for both programs.

What would you do?
Retired Moderator
P
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 18:42
Location wise I am tempted to pick LA here.
NIKE is actually what I would be targeting post MBA(Although that might change)

But to be very honest -> Nothing can offset the prodigious brand that Kellogg is!
Plus,Its the bloody best for marketing.
Recruiting or no recruiting, you would just be fine to get a foot in the door at any position you want.

You should definitely try and get in touch with ENGRTOMBA2018 who is at Kellogg right now.
He will definitely be able to provide you a much better outlook.

Best
Stone Cold

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA

Stone Cold's Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Poll: Kellogg vs UCLA ($) for Brand Management [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 19:06
This post received
KUDOS
It's far too risky to go into a business school with a single target employer (especially when they only hire 1-2 for an ultra competitive role) in mind unless (1) they hire a crap ton of MBA students or (2) you already have inside track and know the management there.

I'd 100% go for Kellogg to give yourself more options in case you change your mind on career choice (could happen) or if things don't work out with Nike.

Posted from my mobile device
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 19:12
This post received
KUDOS
portland5421 wrote:
HI Gmat Club!

I'm struggling to make this decision...what are your thoughts???

Background: I come from a non-traditional background (BFA in Graphic Design) with 4+ years of professional experience in advertising. I was a designer for several years before moving to digital strategy.

Goal: Brand Management/Brand Planning at Nike. I currently live in Portland, OR. My fiancé is a real estate agent here, and we plan on living here permanently. He'll be staying here regardless of which school I attend. There aren't many large companies here in Portland, and only a handful large enough to have structured internship programs for MBA students. The main four are Intel, IBM, Nike, and Adidas. Intel and IBM would be terrible fits for me - i have no background in CS, engineering, etc and have no interest in tech. As such, Nike is my number one goal – Adidas would be #2.

Considerations:

Nike: Based on conversations with several current employees, past interns, recruiters, etc, I've discovered that, despite Kellogg's ranking for marketing, Nike does NOT recruit for a marketing role from Kellogg. They recruit for Strategic Planning, Data Analytics, and Finance OR Supply Chain (this has varied depending on who I spoke to). They recruit for Marketing & Supply Chain from UCLA and lately have recruited for Finance from there as well (the current CFO is an Anderson alum). To get the marketing position from Kellogg I would need to network my way in, vs going through a standard recruiting process at Anderson. Marketing internships at Nike are also the most competitive – typically there are only one or two interns total – but I'm doubtful I could recruit for any other role with my background.

Money: I'm going to be in a mountain of debt either way. UCLA is offering 40k, but I'm fairly sure that would be offset by the cost of living in LA vs Evanston. However, I did receive a forte fellowship. Not sure of the long-term benefits of the fellowship.

Location: Doesn't matter much. Not looking forward to the cold if I'm in Chicago, but either way, I want to end up back in Portland.

Gut: I would rather go to Kellogg. The M7 ranking matters to me – I feel like it will bolster my credibility down the line, given I went to art school for undergrad. But if UCLA would be an easier path to my goal, is that the better option? I felt like a good cultural fit for both programs.

What would you do?

I will keep it succinct and to the point and start by saying that I am a current 2nd year in the 2Y MBA program. You have 2 great admits but 40K scholarship from UCLA will not cover for either the recruiting aspects into NIKE or increase in living costs in LA vs Evanston.

You have what we call a non traditional background and if Kellogg can have a music major crack into investment banking, then I think your switch is definitely on. I understand that this is just one example but Kellogg's connection, both with recruiters and alumni, will be tremendously useful in breaking into in not the the immediate post-MBA roles but roles 5-10 years from now. This is probably the biggest reason why Kellogg makes a lot more sense for you. Yes, you will have to network your way in, but even with a straight recruiting process at UCLA doesnt guarantee you that coveted role. Kellogg will help you a lot more than UCLA in this regard.

Echoing what Wilch has mentioned before, Kellogg will also help you pivot into other roles/industries/companies if you so wish to choose, something UCLA might have a difficulty with.

Reach out and I can connect you to some folks at Kellogg in similar roles.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 20:27
Plans change. 20k a year is nothing really. Kellogg will have a lot more class options and class size to attract better employers. You can get into Nike in a few years...

PS. It is fantastic that you have such focus. This is a very good strategy and will help a lot in recruiting.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.78

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 21:56
Kellogg and don't look back
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
Worth noting that UCLA's tuition is $10k per year cheaper than Kellogg so it's really more like a $30k scholarship which should more than offset the COL. What other companies would you be happy working for? Do they recruit both schools?

Really though, you should go to the school that makes you happy.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
Kellogg! In terms of employment opportunities in the case that you did not specifically get NIKE, Kellogg's career center, faculty, and alumni will be able to open doors for you. You will not believe how many brand management firm recruits here.

Hell, even Kate Smith was a marketing director at one of pepsi's brand before.

My GMAT Journey From 550 - 740

My application debrief to Kellogg '19

My MBA Blog

Re: Poll: Kellogg vs UCLA ($) for Brand Management   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2018, 23:46

Poll: Kellogg vs UCLA ($) for Brand Management

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap