Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi vreddy1,

Thank you for your post. Congrats on a great GMAT score! To help assess your profile, I would require additional information, including your career aspirations post MBA. You will require to address your GPA in your file, so be sure to spend some time with that. happy to continue the conversation live. If interested, click here.

Good luck!

vreddy1 wrote:
Hi, so please assess my chances.

Undergraduate School: Trinity University
Undergraduate GPA: 2.33
Undergraduate Degree: History Major, Minor in Business Administration

Working Experience:(2 years) 1 Year Morgan Stanley Wealth Management Analyst, 1 year Financial Analyst at Doctor's Clinic

GMAT Score: 750

Other: Former Collegiate Basketball Player, Amateur Cyclist, Volunteer work in India
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! Your high GMAT score will help offset your GPA somewhat - however, Ross is very competitive so I would also suggest taking a supplemental quant course (stats, calc, microecon, accounting) in person or online and getting an A to show the AdCom your academic commitment to the program. I think your work experience is on the lower end though (agerage is 4-6 years), so I suggest waiting a year to apply to give yourself time for this course, potentially to increase your leadership involvement within your extracurricular activities, and to gain more responsibilities at work. Hope that helps!

vreddy1 wrote:
Hi, so please assess my chances.

Undergraduate School: Trinity University
Undergraduate GPA: 2.33
Undergraduate Degree: History Major, Minor in Business Administration

Working Experience:(2 years) 1 Year Morgan Stanley Wealth Management Analyst, 1 year Financial Analyst at Doctor's Clinic

GMAT Score: 750

Other: Former Collegiate Basketball Player, Amateur Cyclist, Volunteer work in India
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Send PM
Hi all! Please chance me for Ross MBA (Weekend Program as well as Full-Time Program)?

Background and nationality: White female

Undergrad Information: Univ. of Notre Dame, BS in Mechanical Engineering (GPA 3.2)

GMAT: 720 (Q47, V41)

Work experience and leadership:
- Product Development Engineer at Fortune 10 consumer products (manufacturing/tech.) company - 3 years;
- Co-Leading (and worked with upper management to establish) professional development/social network program for young professionals within the company

Community and others:
- Volunteering with underprivileged kids in inner-city
- Church involvement
- Hobbies: Running, Downhill Snow Skiing

Post MBA goals:
- Rise to senior management in tech. industry; involvement with Business Strategy

Anything else?
- Essays should be high-quality
- Letters of recommendation likely average
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi - I see that you posted on the Stern board as well. Same advice applies here (except that in this case, in the short essays is where you'll want to showcase your personal attributes/accomplishments).

irish825 wrote:
Hi all! Please chance me for Ross MBA (Weekend Program as well as Full-Time Program)?

Background and nationality: White female

Undergrad Information: Univ. of Notre Dame, BS in Mechanical Engineering (GPA 3.2)

GMAT: 720 (Q47, V41)

Work experience and leadership:
- Product Development Engineer at Fortune 10 consumer products (manufacturing/tech.) company - 3 years;
- Co-Leading (and worked with upper management to establish) professional development/social network program for young professionals within the company

Community and others:
- Volunteering with underprivileged kids in inner-city
- Church involvement
- Hobbies: Running, Downhill Snow Skiing

Post MBA goals:
- Rise to senior management in tech. industry; involvement with Business Strategy

Anything else?
- Essays should be high-quality
- Letters of recommendation likely average
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi,

Could you pls evaluate my profile:
Nationality : Indian
GMAT: 710 Q50/V35
GPA: 3.7/4
Education: Mechanical Engineer
Work Experience:4 years in business development in automobile firm
Have my own Health care venture with annual revenue of $1 million
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 2.86
Send PM
White male, US
GPA: 2.87, West Point
GMAT: 730
Work experience: 6 years in army prior to matriculation, field artillery branch, 1 combat deployment.
Post MBA goals: Work in investment banking for 3-5 years prior to starting a hedge fund (based on my success and knowledge of investments, not sure if adcom will bite), start an real estate investment/development company in ~10 years, eventually acquire an NFL team.

I figure its a crap shoot at best with my poor GPA. Considered listing career goals that more align with my experience but decided against it. Nothing to do now but hope for the best. I also applied to McCombs. Thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! What are your short and long-term goals, and are you involved in extracurriculars?

sidjain wrote:
Hi,

Could you pls evaluate my profile:
Nationality : Indian
GMAT: 710 Q50/V35
GPA: 3.7/4
Education: Mechanical Engineer
Work Experience:4 years in business development in automobile firm
Have my own Health care venture with annual revenue of $1 million
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! Your GMAT score is solid, but the GPA is a concern - hopefully you addressed it in the optional essay and have other mitigating factors (such as supplemental coursework). Regarding your goals - there's quite a bit going on with your longer-term goals. Ross asks only about your short-term goals in the career essay, but if interviewed you'll want to explain what the motivations are behind your short and long-term ambitions, so think about your story and presenting an ambitious BUT realistic path. For example, why do you want to start your own hedge fund instead of just entering one? What interests you in investments in the first place? And, why a real estate investment/development company and NFL team? Best to pick one long-term path that stems from your personal/professional experiences and short-term goals.

Hope that helps a bit - best of luck!

christopherlaw wrote:
White male, US
GPA: 2.87, West Point
GMAT: 730
Work experience: 6 years in army prior to matriculation, field artillery branch, 1 combat deployment.
Post MBA goals: Work in investment banking for 3-5 years prior to starting a hedge fund (based on my success and knowledge of investments, not sure if adcom will bite), start an real estate investment/development company in ~10 years, eventually acquire an NFL team.

I figure its a crap shoot at best with my poor GPA. Considered listing career goals that more align with my experience but decided against it. Nothing to do now but hope for the best. I also applied to McCombs. Thoughts?

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GRE 1: Q162 V162
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Eric8923 wrote:
I will be applying through the Consortium in round 2, I would like to know if I have a legitimate chance at Ross.

Background:
29 year old Hispanic male from a low-income household.
Enlisted U.S military prior to attending undergrad, graduating in spring 2019.
Neither parent attended college with one parent not completing high school.

Undergrad:
Big 12 Public school in Texas, not UT (Hometown university)
2.9 GPA (Economics major, minor in Chinese)
GPA will likely be my biggest hurdle. I come from a family, both immediate and extended, with no post-secondary education. After my time in the military, I wanted to change that trend. Early academic struggles were due to my unfamiliarity with college academics while balancing working 30 hours a week. I still work the same amount per week, but much better time management.

My GPA is weighed down from "C's" and "D's" in introductory courses like Pre-Calculus, Intro to Anthropology, and freshman English.
After learning how to approach college academics I saw a significant improvement in my performance.

I have made "A's" and "B's" in:
Managerial Economics
Intermediate and Advanced Chinese
Intermediate Macroeconomics/Microeconomics
Calculus
and most of the other Economic courses I have taken.

GMAT: 620(cannot recall split)
This was a testing of the waters, going in I fully intended on retaking a second time. I have been using TTP for quant and MGMAT for verbal. I scored a 660 on my most recent practice exam. I have another 5 weeks of extensive studying before I sit in mid-December. I am fully invested in making up for my GPA though the GMAT exam.

Work Experience and Leadership:
I feel this is the strength of my application. Early in my career I began to seperate myself from my peers. I was given a waiver to attend an enlisted leadership academy, I was too junior in rank and only 19 years old. I made the most of the opportunity and was 1 of only 4 honor graduates in a class of about 240. A year later, while deployed to Afghanistan, I was selected to instruct courses to Afghan police officers. Using an interpreter, I taught classes in marksmanship, first aid, and basic law enforcement tactics. While in Afghanistan I was nominated and approved for promotion to Sergeant, ahead of several peers senior to myself. I received multiple awards for accomplishments in leadership positions towards the backend of my career.

Post MBA goals:
Transition into consulting to develop expertise in a specific field, then transition into a management role after a few years.

I have my mind set on attending a T15 business school. I am applying to 5 of these programs this year, knowing there is a legitimate possibility I can strike out at all five. Should that happen, I will stay at my current university for a 2nd major in Chinese and reapply next year. If I do need to reapply I will target T15 again, but add a few programs like McCombs and Jones(Rice).

I am targeting schools that have a reputation of being military friendly, with the exception of Yale. I understand Yale is likely out of my league, but I feel culturally it is the best fit for me. I am applying to Kellogg, Yale, Tuck, Ross, and Johnson. Any advice would be appreciated!

Considering you have not graduated yet. I would recommend two programs for you that will provide support before your MBA and after. The first is MLT (Management Leadership for Tomorrow) who can help you prepare for your MBA applications. They have considerable resources and a proven track record of placing applicants into top B-schools with scholarships. They have a few different programs but the one I recommend is their one-year MBA prep where they help you prepare your essays, improve GMAT scores, network with skills, prepare for interviews and many other valuable resources that help you be a stand-out candidate.
The second program is the Consortium for Graduate Studies of Management that allows you to apply to six business schools at a significantly reduced cost. There is a common application for all of them which also greatly simplifies the process. Finally, they offer a fellowship to many of the participants which covers full tuition.

Waiting an extra year could make a huge difference in the quality of school you matriculate to and the amount of scholarships you receive. Best wishes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: IESE '22 (M)
Send PM
Hello,

I plan on applying to Ross and was looking for some honest feedback on my chances. Could you please asses my profile and let me know of the potential strengths and weaknesses of my profile?

Basic bio:
- Nationality: Indian

Academic Details (commerce/business administration):
- Grad: BBA (in Finance) - rough calculation of GPA using the WES scale 3.42
- Post Grad: PGDM (in Finance) from a top-15 school in India - rough calculation of GPA using WES scale 3.37
- GMAT: 720 (Q47 V42 IR5 AWA4)

Work experience:
- 3 years with the big 4. I worked with the Risk Advisory Services team in India. I did process risk assessment for several organizational processes for clients across several industries. I also worked with the senior management in Business Development activities for the India operations of the team.

- 3 years (post-PGDM experience) with the Indian arm of a US-based Hedge Fund in the Financial Operations team. I work as a part of the team that serves as a nodal point for internal and external stakeholders.

- While I have managed a couple of small teams for various tasks, I dont have any significant management experience.

International experience:
- In addition to dealing with stakeholders from all over the globe on a daily bases and working as a part of a team spread across various geographies, I also worked at the US office for a period of 4 months.

Extra-Curricular Activities :
- I have been actively involved in sports at school, college and corporate level.
- During my undergrad, I was a part of the strategy club, where I participated and organized in a few management fests.
- During my postgrad, I was a part of the committee dealing with student exchange programmes.
- I have been involved with the CSR groups in both the organizations.

Post-MBA plans:
- I plan on leveraging my risk advisory/consulting and financial operations experience in landing a strategy consulting job

Reason for (second) MBA:
- Looking for diverse global exposure, and the associated learning that comes with living and operating in an global environment
- Need for a more case-based approach to academics to leverage my knowledge
- Greater opportunities in terms of global mobility

Any inputs on my profile and chances will be helpful. Also, do you think I need to retake the GMAT? Will the individual sectional scores be problematic?

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi testtaker2019,

Thank you for sharing your profile. I think you have an interesting profile that I would love to learn more about. I like that you have been involved in your community and that, although unofficial, you have been involved in leadership. Be sure to really spend time fleshing out your story. As to areas that require improvement, because you belong to an overrepresented body of applicants, I recommend you retake the GMAT and try and increase your overall score by 20+ points.

Happy to discuss further. If interested to coordinate a call, please fill out this form.

Good luck!

testtaker2019 wrote:
Hello,

I plan on applying to Ross and was looking for some honest feedback on my chances. Could you please asses my profile and let me know of the potential strengths and weaknesses of my profile?

Basic bio:
- Nationality: Indian

Academic Details (commerce/business administration):
- Grad: BBA (in Finance) - rough calculation of GPA using the WES scale 3.42
- Post Grad: PGDM (in Finance) from a top-15 school in India - rough calculation of GPA using WES scale 3.37
- GMAT: 720 (Q47 V42 IR5 AWA4)

Work experience:
- 3 years with the big 4. I worked with the Risk Advisory Services team in India. I did process risk assessment for several organizational processes for clients across several industries. I also worked with the senior management in Business Development activities for the India operations of the team.

- 3 years (post-PGDM experience) with the Indian arm of a US-based Hedge Fund in the Financial Operations team. I work as a part of the team that serves as a nodal point for internal and external stakeholders.

- While I have managed a couple of small teams for various tasks, I dont have any significant management experience.

International experience:
- In addition to dealing with stakeholders from all over the globe on a daily bases and working as a part of a team spread across various geographies, I also worked at the US office for a period of 4 months.

Extra-Curricular Activities :
- I have been actively involved in sports at school, college and corporate level.
- During my undergrad, I was a part of the strategy club, where I participated and organized in a few management fests.
- During my postgrad, I was a part of the committee dealing with student exchange programmes.
- I have been involved with the CSR groups in both the organizations.

Post-MBA plans:
- I plan on leveraging my risk advisory/consulting and financial operations experience in landing a strategy consulting job

Reason for (second) MBA:
- Looking for diverse global exposure, and the associated learning that comes with living and operating in an global environment
- Need for a more case-based approach to academics to leverage my knowledge
- Greater opportunities in terms of global mobility

Any inputs on my profile and chances will be helpful. Also, do you think I need to retake the GMAT? Will the individual sectional scores be problematic?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Hello Experts,

I am Aalekh and I would like to have my profile evaluated for Ross intake of 2020. I'll be writing my GMAT in June, 2019.
Age - 25 years and Nationality - Indian

1. Academics :
CGPA's(Out of 10) of 10th , 12th and B.E (Undergraduate) : 9.0 / 6.74 / 6.64 (I screwed up here! My bad)
Enrolled myself in International School of Entrepreneurial Leadership (iSOEL) - Duration 6 months. 3 cohorts of 21 days. (excelled in this and even got funded after the same)

2. Work Experience :
(i)I have 3 years of professional work experience (4 at matriculation) as a Product and Project Manager in an IT firm, which deals in fantasy sports solutions. (For your better understanding, these are the projects that are similar to Dream 11 / DraftKings/ FanDuel / Etc.)
- I was responsible for driving new products and projects from concept to implementation, serving as a liaison between senior management, IT team and business stakeholders.
- I have worked with many Indian clients and worked as a project lead for the official fantasy sports for Arabian Gulf League (AGL). Big client. Nice guys
- I was the brain behind an internal product of the company (perfectlineup) that saved over a million dollars to the company till date. I actually wrote down the website content and algorithm for the same. It was fun.
- I have managed the completion of over 10 software development projects and worked on the internal product of the company at the same time in order to push the latest updates in all the projects that we made.

(ii)I have 3 years of work experience with my startup(C-Cube) that I co-founded when I was 19. Though, I know this experience won't count into the total work ex. (That's actually sad!)
- It was during my graduation. C-cube is a campus company inside the college premises, acting as a one stop quality chain store and a cafe bestowing students stationary requirements and food.
- We managed around $30,000 then and break-evened in the 8th month of operations. Kudos to my team!

(iii) Active President and Manager of Royal Vikings Football Club (R.V.F.C) registered in District Football Association, Indore, Mahdya Pradesh.

3. Achievements -
(i) Lead a team of 400 volunteers in Global Investors Summit, Madhya Pradesh in 2014 organised by Confederation of Indian Industries (CII)
(ii) Winner of a national level group dance competition held at IIM, Indore
(iii) Ideated, executed and marketed an android application, which we developed as a college major project. It had 15,000+ downloads on google play store and 150+ 5 star ratings.
(iv) Secured 4th position among 107 colleges in National Entrepreneurship Challenge (NEC) held at IIT, Bombay
(v) Semi-Finalist of National level football tournament held at BITS Pilani, Goa.
(vi) Winner of Nodal RGPV Football tournament

I have mentioned above the most important achievements of mine. Apart from these, there are many other co-curricular activities wherein, I have worked as an E-cell leader, organizing various events during my college days. I have worked with Young Indians (Yi - Indore Chapter) and participated in many awareness programs and college fests, specially dance and football. I can get 2 LOR's from my employer.

Not to forget, one of the MAJOR factor for my profile still remains folded. THE GMAT! Let's see what happens.
Now, I request you to shoot your kind advises for me. I would really appreciate if you can guide me through this. Thanks in advance.

Regards!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
aalekhoza wrote:
Hello Experts,

I am Aalekh and I would like to have my profile evaluated for Ross intake of 2020. I'll be writing my GMAT in June, 2019.
Age - 25 years and Nationality - Indian

1. Academics :
CGPA's(Out of 10) of 10th , 12th and B.E (Undergraduate) : 9.0 / 6.74 / 6.64 (I screwed up here! My bad)
Enrolled myself in International School of Entrepreneurial Leadership (iSOEL) - Duration 6 months. 3 cohorts of 21 days. (excelled in this and even got funded after the same)

2. Work Experience :
(i)I have 3 years of professional work experience (4 at matriculation) as a Product and Project Manager in an IT firm, which deals in fantasy sports solutions. (For your better understanding, these are the projects that are similar to Dream 11 / DraftKings/ FanDuel / Etc.)
- I was responsible for driving new products and projects from concept to implementation, serving as a liaison between senior management, IT team and business stakeholders.
- I have worked with many Indian clients and worked as a project lead for the official fantasy sports for Arabian Gulf League (AGL). Big client. Nice guys
- I was the brain behind an internal product of the company (perfectlineup) that saved over a million dollars to the company till date. I actually wrote down the website content and algorithm for the same. It was fun.
- I have managed the completion of over 10 software development projects and worked on the internal product of the company at the same time in order to push the latest updates in all the projects that we made.

(ii)I have 3 years of work experience with my startup(C-Cube) that I co-founded when I was 19. Though, I know this experience won't count into the total work ex. (That's actually sad!)
- It was during my graduation. C-cube is a campus company inside the college premises, acting as a one stop quality chain store and a cafe bestowing students stationary requirements and food.
- We managed around $30,000 then and break-evened in the 8th month of operations. Kudos to my team!

(iii) Active President and Manager of Royal Vikings Football Club (R.V.F.C) registered in District Football Association, Indore, Mahdya Pradesh.

3. Achievements -
(i) Lead a team of 400 volunteers in Global Investors Summit, Madhya Pradesh in 2014 organised by Confederation of Indian Industries (CII)
(ii) Winner of a national level group dance competition held at IIM, Indore
(iii) Ideated, executed and marketed an android application, which we developed as a college major project. It had 15,000+ downloads on google play store and 150+ 5 star ratings.
(iv) Secured 4th position among 107 colleges in National Entrepreneurship Challenge (NEC) held at IIT, Bombay
(v) Semi-Finalist of National level football tournament held at BITS Pilani, Goa.
(vi) Winner of Nodal RGPV Football tournament

I have mentioned above the most important achievements of mine. Apart from these, there are many other co-curricular activities wherein, I have worked as an E-cell leader, organizing various events during my college days. I have worked with Young Indians (Yi - Indore Chapter) and participated in many awareness programs and college fests, specially dance and football. I can get 2 LOR's from my employer.

Not to forget, one of the MAJOR factor for my profile still remains folded. THE GMAT! Let's see what happens.
Now, I request you to shoot your kind advises for me. I would really appreciate if you can guide me through this. Thanks in advance.

Regards!

Hello aalekhoza,

You definitely have fine work experience and professional achievements; while the start-up experience may not count as full-time experience, it will be an important talking point in your profile and add value to the same.

Having said the above, the GMAT will be very crucial in your case; considering your tech background and low GPA, it is imperative that you aim for a high score in order to differentiate your profile from the rest of the Indian male applicant pool. Look at something in excess of a 740; the higher, the better.

Should you have any follow-up questions, do let us know.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Hello,

Ethnicity:
Korean-American

Academics:
Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
GPA: 3.61 (Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance)

GMAT:
740 (49Q, 41V)
(2nd attempt; thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 760+ due to my demographic)

Experience:
Engineer
100% in the aerospace industry (including internships)

Current Job:
Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Intended Post-MBA Career:
1.) Management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.
Or
2.) Program Manager at current company, using my engineering background, industry experience, and business education from an MBA.

MBA Schools:
Reach: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Booth, Columbia
Target: Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Stern

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by SimbaJSK on 09 Jun 2019, 07:19.
Last edited by SimbaJSK on 31 Dec 2019, 22:43, edited 7 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: IITK, KOEL
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I am an Indian male with an engineering background. I will be applying to B schools in US this year for a two year MBA program. I am looking for a profile evaluation so that I can find the best fit and shortlist schools that I have a chance of getting into. I aspire to specialize in Marketing/Operations/Supply Chain/Consulting. Please evaluate my profile for Michigan Ross.

GMAT: Will attempt
GPA: 2.8 (7/10)
Degree: B.Tech- MTech(Mechanical engineering) from IIT KANPUR
Experience: 4 years in KOEL, Product design and development, 4,6 cylinder engines
Role: Deputy manager

Extracurricular: Festival activities in college, company social responsibility, animal welfare, etc

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,
I'm looking for insight on my profile and tips to help strengthen it. Disclaimer: Pardon any errors, submitting on my phone.

Personal: 32 Year old, African American male. First generation college/grad student

Field of Interest: General Management
GMAT: September 2019-Aiming for 720

Undergrad Specs: I did 2 years of community college where I got a 3.5GPA before transferring to an Ivy where I graduated with a 2.67, (3.09 cumulative if you consider both transcripts, but I am not sure how I'd report this). I transferred in as a Mathematics major but switched over to Finance/Accounting. I had a rough first year....made the mistake of taking several extremely difficult classes at once (coming from the CC I def wasn't prepared for the academic vigor), I also worked F/T to support myself and family back home. While in college I was a chess tutor and on the debate team. I also cofound a nonprofit, although we were only able to maintain it for a year.

Work Experience: I have 9 years of work experience....the first 3 were spent in Finance (2 years at a blue chip where I completed a finance rotation program). I then transitioned to Sales (tech) where I spent 2.5 years at another blue chip and completed a sales leadership rotation. I moved to a startup VAR where I was one of the first 5 employees, but left after 8 months due to instability. I spent a few months on my own as an independent consultant before moving to my current role. I've spent the last 3 years of my career at a Fortune 500 tech company where I am a top performer.

I also co-founded a construction company (albeit now defunct), where I managed Sales/Marketing. Despite inconsistent staffing, we still managed to generate about 275K in sales our first year. We decided to let the business go when my co-founder's wife got sick. It was too much to manage on my own with my current job.

Extracurricular: Served as officer/active member of a nationwide nonprofit, multiracial organization that focuses on the enhancement of economic/educational opportunities for African Americans. I've also spent the last 3 years coaching chess at local schools and community centers throughout my city.

Recommendation Letters: Current Manager, Former Business Partner, Former Mentee (Tutored individual throughout CC to help him get into Top 50 UG program), Former Mentor (Instrumental in helping me transition from CC to Ivy)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi noble89,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You have a lot of growth experiences and a few areas that require exploration and further development. A few notes on your profile:

Academics: A critical component of the deciding factor for admission to top MBA programs is the adcom believing you will be able to succeed academically in their rigorous curriculum. While admission is possible, we recommend you address the 2.67 GPA from your Ivy league undergrad in the optional essay - do not assume the adcome will understand. To take it a step further, and if you have time, I recommend you enroll in a course like HBX CORe, and do well in it, to showcase your academic readiness for a top program. An increased GMAT score (higher than the school's average) would also be ideal.

Professional Experience: You have collected interesting experiences for the past nine years. While you want a general MBA, being successful with your applications after 30 y/o requires an increased clarity of goals. Why do you need an MBA? Why now? And why Ross?

ECs: These are interesting, and they seem to speak to your values and your willingness to give back. take the opportunity to give the adcom a glimpse of your values and your drivers.

If you are interested in making this application cycle successful and want a conversation to further discuss your profile, I am happy to discuss in a 30-minute free consultation. If this is something that appeals to you, please reach out.

noble89 wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for insight on my profile and tips to help strengthen it. Disclaimer: Pardon any errors, submitting on my phone.

Personal: 32 Year old, African American male. First generation college/grad student

Field of Interest: General Management
GMAT: September 2019-Aiming for 720

Undergrad Specs: I did 2 years of community college where I got a 3.5GPA before transferring to an Ivy where I graduated with a 2.67, (3.09 cumulative if you consider both transcripts, but I am not sure how I'd report this). I transferred in as a Mathematics major but switched over to Finance/Accounting. I had a rough first year....made the mistake of taking several extremely difficult classes at once (coming from the CC I def wasn't prepared for the academic vigor), I also worked F/T to support myself and family back home. While in college I was a chess tutor and on the debate team. I also cofound a nonprofit, although we were only able to maintain it for a year.

Work Experience: I have 9 years of work experience....the first 3 were spent in Finance (2 years at a blue chip where I completed a finance rotation program). I then transitioned to Sales (tech) where I spent 2.5 years at another blue chip and completed a sales leadership rotation. I moved to a startup VAR where I was one of the first 5 employees, but left after 8 months due to instability. I spent a few months on my own as an independent consultant before moving to my current role. I've spent the last 3 years of my career at a Fortune 500 tech company where I am a top performer.

I also co-founded a construction company (albeit now defunct), where I managed Sales/Marketing. Despite inconsistent staffing, we still managed to generate about 275K in sales our first year. We decided to let the business go when my co-founder's wife got sick. It was too much to manage on my own with my current job.

Extracurricular: Served as officer/active member of a nationwide nonprofit, multiracial organization that focuses on the enhancement of economic/educational opportunities for African Americans. I've also spent the last 3 years coaching chess at local schools and community centers throughout my city.

Recommendation Letters: Current Manager, Former Business Partner, Former Mentee (Tutored individual throughout CC to help him get into Top 50 UG program), Former Mentor (Instrumental in helping me transition from CC to Ivy)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14   
Moderators:
MBA Section Director
438 posts
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
203 posts
49 posts