GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request - Background : Supply Chain in Tech company

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation Request - Background : Supply Chain in Tech company  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 23:10
Background
• Work experience: 4 years of WE at matriculation. Supply Chain analyst at major networking technology company (FAANG for networking tech – think Cisco, Arista). 1.5 years in the internal supply chain transformation team – helping design supply chain capability roadmaps and business architecture for funding programs. Lead a team in a Supply chain hackathon held in Norway and lead similar design workshop in the USA . 1.5+ years in Global inventory management handling $$B of inventory target management and optimization across global sites. Traveled to China to work with regional manufacturing and build analytics for inventory optimization.
• Extra curriculars: Lead guitarist for international touring band (we went pro 4 years ago). We have played at cities across India and completed a 15 show (2 week) tour of the UK. Released 4 songs with >150,000 streams/plays across all platforms. Handle all major audio production and recording, lead the band and manage all tour planning and implementation.
Volunteer (2 years to present) at an NGO to teach English to underprivileged kids for an hour a week.
• Undergrad school/major: Bachelor’s in Industrial Engineering from T30 school in India. Gold medalist (Rank 1). Head of the Cultural activity team (600+ member) and music club.
• Race/nationality: Indian
• Sex: Male
Stats
• GMAT Score (include breakdown!): GRE : 330
• Undergrad GPA: 9.11/10, Gold medalist
MBA Info
• Goal of MBA: To transition into consulting in the US. I have had a proxy supply chain consulting role internal to my company. Loved and excelled at the experience so far and would like to extend it across general management. Also open to Product Management given my tech company WE but primarily leaning on consulting.
• Target schools:
Reach : MIT Sloan, Wharton, Kellogg, Booth, Haas
Target : Stern, Duke, Tuck, Yale

Can you please evaluate my profile?
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Background : Supply Chain in Tech company  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 12:36
Hi mbaburneraccount,

Thank you for your post. This is a little difficult to size up completely without knowing your actual GRE score (or even the splits). Generally speaking, you seem to have strong technical experience in your field, good international experience, a nice academic feather in your cap by finishing as the Gold Medalist, and an interesting personal touch with the band experience. Now, as I repeat here ad nauseam, many of these experiences are "nice" in and of themselves, but how EFFECTIVE they become within your application can vary in a big way depending on what you (and your recommenders) do with them.

That means how good of a job you do presenting them; how good of a job you do unpacking the lessons, growth, and impact of the experiences; how good of a job you do introspecting and breaking down the key professional and personal experiences that have shaped your motivations and values; and then weaving all of this into a specific and compelling narrative about how who you are and what you've done to this point (i.e., the SPECIFIC knowledge, skills, and experience you've gained to this point) PLUS what you'd gain for the MBA (i.e., the SPECIFIC knowledge, skills, and experience you're missing) EQUAL or LEAD to your SPECIFIC post-MBA goals. This narrative should include a deep understanding of how each program to which you apply specifically fills the gaps of what you're missing. You can read more about to approach these cornerstone application here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process. (And don't just say what you'll get from each program -- be sure to share how you can uniquely contribute as well. But be SPECIFIC about your intended contributions and how they align with or fit with each program's offerings, culture, community, etc.)

School-wise, you seem to be thinking about things correctly from a tier perspective (at least directionally so), but the GRE result and your aforementioned application execution are going to be huge X factors. In general, but especially when applying from such a crowded and competitive demographic, two applicants with identical scores and profiles can experience wildly different outcomes based on the quality of their applications, essays, resume, recommendations, interviews, etc. None of the schools you've listed will be easy. Depending on where your score lands, you might consider building in a couple of schools from the next tier, though you are on the slightly younger side for an Indian applicant (who tend to fare better with a little more experience than you will have at the point of application), so you might be better off not yet including that next tier, seeing how you do with schools like this (assuming your GRE comes in at the right kind of level), and then making any necessary adjustments if you don't have any luck this year.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck. If you would like to further this conversation, please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation here: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html.

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Background : Supply Chain in Tech company  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2020, 09:35
Thank you for evaluating my profile.
I do understand that my success will be dependent on my actual GRE score and breakdown and perhaps more importantly on the execution of my application.
I wanted to understand if I was thinking in the right direction in terms of school tiers and what is achievable, with the assumption that I will execute my application in the best possible manner. I think I do understand now, I am not aiming for something completely unrealistic.
You brought up very particular and insightful points about specific skills, goals etc and I am working through those right now.

I have a query. When you say schools in the "next" tier - do you mean a tier above my Reach schools i.e. H/S or a tier below my Target schools?

Thanks once again, I appreciate the insight.
G

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2020, 08:14
Thank you, mbaburneraccount. By "next tier," I was actually referring to the next tier down (below) the ones you've listed, but really that's a decision to strategize about once you know your actual score. And as a I alluded to in the post, you are on the younger side for your applicant pool, so you might decide that you wouldn't want to "settle" for that next tier down, that you're comfortable with the more aggressive strategy you've outlined in your post, and if you didn't get into any of the schools you've listed, you'd be open to reapplying the following year, and at that point including schools from the next tier down. But to clarify, is the score you've listed now an official score? Or a target?

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
G

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2020, 08:20
Also, please see below for two good GMAT Club posts that provide both quantitative (first post) and qualitative (second post) assessments of the application landscape for Indian applicants / Indian male applicants. A 330 GMAT can equate to a GMAT equivalent anywhere from a 700 to a 750 (and even beyond) depending on the splits, so knowing the splits matters. If it is (more optimistically) a 750 equivalent, then you will see in the first post that Indian applicants with a 750 have around an 11% acceptance rate across the entirety of the U.S. Top 20. That speaks to just how important it is to differentiate yourself through your applications, essays, recommendations, interviews, etc. And it speaks to how challenging the landscape is, which can further inform your school strategy.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-admissio ... 39142.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-indian-m ... 56968.html

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Background : Supply Chain in Tech company   [#permalink] 06 May 2020, 08:20

Profile Evaluation Request - Background : Supply Chain in Tech company

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep