Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 19:50 It is currently 05 May 2024, 19:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 626 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Profile evaluation - School suggestions [#permalink]
sanjay14765423 wrote:
Hi All,

Basic Info:
Male, 24 yrs, IT background

GMAT Score:
Overall - 710
Quant - 49
Verbal - 36
IR - 8
AWA - 5

Work experience:
2+ years, will have 3 years of work experience at the time of joining
Role : Manager - Information Technology
leads a team of ~15 people
working in one of the India's major broadband service companies

Academics:
NIT Rourkela, Major : Mechanical Engineering, Minor : Computer science, CGPA : 8.81/10

Extra curriculars:
part of leadership team for two clubs in college
currently part of Toastmasters club

Which schools should i target to have a decent chance of getting into? Also, i am dependant on scholarships to fund my MBA. Pls suggest.

sanjay14765423

Your academic background, especially with your affiliation with an institution like NIT, is undoubtedly strong. Your GMAT is alright but not the highlight.

The best you can do for your application is to not underestimate yourself by simply defining your profile as "working as an IT Manager in broadband."
When aiming for a top MBA program, remember that the admissions committee forms its perception of you primarily through the story you present.

To truly elevate your profile, consider creating a detailed list of your accomplishments within your role at the broadband service company. Emphasize not only how your work has positively impacted clients but also how it has opened new opportunities for your employer through the ripple effects of your successes.

MBA essays thrive on passion and your eagerness to address industry challenges or seize opportunities. To elevate your narrative, research how your skills can make a profound impact in related domains post-MBA. What are your long-term aspirations, and how will they benefit the industry? What distinctive skills and talents do you possess that differentiate you as a highly aware candidate within the IT pool? Don't merely describe your job, showcase your potential, ambition, and the transformative influence you can exert not only in your industry but also beyond it.

The best schools would be ISB, IIM C/L/XLRI (when you meet the admission work exp criteria). US 20-30 would be realistic. Rest depends on the facts i may not know about your profile yet.

Get personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - School suggestions [#permalink]
sanjay14765423 wrote:
Hi All,

Basic Info:
Male, 24 yrs, IT background

GMAT Score:
Overall - 710
Quant - 49
Verbal - 36
IR - 8
AWA - 5

Work experience:
2+ years, will have 3 years of work experience at the time of joining
Role : Manager - Information Technology
leads a team of ~15 people
working in one of the India's major broadband service companies

Academics:
NIT Rourkela, Major : Mechanical Engineering, Minor : Computer science, CGPA : 8.81/10

Extra curriculars:
part of leadership team for two clubs in college
currently part of Toastmasters club

Which schools should i target to have a decent chance of getting into? Also, i am dependant on scholarships to fund my MBA. Pls suggest.

sanjay14765423

A few q's before providing some feedback:

1. How has your professional journey been i.e. any promotions and/ or change in responsibilities? Pls also mention a line about your current role
2. What are your post-MBA goals i.e. target sector, function, geography?
3. Are you looking at US/ Europe schools, or open to either?

Regards,
Arvind
HEC Paris MBA alum, Admissions interviewer
W:https://admitstreet.com| E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
Hi All,

Few additional information:

1. How has your professional journey been i.e. any promotions and/ or change in responsibilities? Pls also mention a line about your current role - I started as a Management trainee, got promoted to Manager after 1 year and working as IT manager for the last 1.5 years. Will have worked as a Manager for 2 years at the time of joining.

2. What are your post-MBA goals i.e. target sector, function, geography? - Want to be a product manager at a leading technology firm post my MBA

3. Are you looking at US/ Europe schools, or open to either? - open to either

Any good US/Europe school suggestions for technology background?
Director
Director
Send PM
Profile evaluation - School suggestions [#permalink]
sanjay14765423 wrote:
Hi All,

Few additional information:

1. How has your professional journey been i.e. any promotions and/ or change in responsibilities? Pls also mention a line about your current role - I started as a Management trainee, got promoted to Manager after 1 year and working as IT manager for the last 1.5 years. Will have worked as a Manager for 2 years at the time of joining.

2. What are your post-MBA goals i.e. target sector, function, geography? - Want to be a product manager at a leading technology firm post my MBA

3. Are you looking at US/ Europe schools, or open to either? - open to either

Any good US/Europe school suggestions for technology background?

sanjay14765423 - thanks for the details.

1. Your academic arc (GPA) is good, the NIT tag helps as well. While the GMAT score is decent, a higher score (particularly verbal) can help improve your chances at higher ranked programs, considering the Indian Male applicant perspective.

2. While your experience is a bit on the lower side particularly for European MBA's, the promotion and the alignment of your post-MBA goals can potentially help craft a strong story addressing: why MBA, why now, why you (vs others) and why PM.

3. Considering your target post-MBA goal of Product Management, some US programs to consider (beyond M7) would be: CMU Tepper, Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, Mccombs, Ross, NYU Stern, Foster, USC Marshall and some more in T20-30. In Europe/ UK: LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, HEC Paris, IESE, ESADE, Manchester Alliance, Imperial, RSM. Please consider this as an initial list to deep-dive/ research into and prioritize based on your individual preferences. I typically conduct a brainstorming session to help my candidates prioritize B-schools.

4. Having more "stories" on your ECs, particularly recent ones, and the lessons you learned from your involvement in the ECs can help differentiate your profile.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
W:https://admitstreet.com| E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello Experts: Please evaluate my profile below:

I plan to apply to INSEAD, ISB, HEC Paris. Open to other schools too.
GMAT: 700
Q 49, V35, IR 5

(Total 51 months by July 2024)

Professional Summary:
Job 1 : Mechanical Engineer in Dubai (UAE): Voltas Limited (Construction) (July 2019-Oct-2020) 15 months
Roles: Project Bidding, Budgeting, Tendering and Estimation

6 month buffer in moving back to India to find jobs in Covid.

Job 2: Consultant (EY) (July 2021)-Present
Engagement 1: Handling the merger of 7 Indian subsidiaries of Tata Steel.
Engagement 2: Handling SAP Projects for a Fortune 500 client (Tata Steel) and its subsidiaries across India/Canada/SE Asia/Europe. (I started as an Analyst and got two promotions within 18 months. (36 months experience in this job by July '2024).
A total of 51 months of work experience by July 2024.

Extra Curriculars in Undergrad
1. Leader (AIESEC)- Partnered with local orgs and helped them raise projects which were worked upon by foreign interns. This helped companies increase their cultural diversity. Projects raised were worth ($20000+)
We organized events themed around the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
(Youth Speak Forum-A common platform for college students to interact with industry titans.)
Baalkalakar-Fun day out for kids from local orphanages.

2. Team Lead-ISHRAE-We won a grant ($1500) to design an environment friendly cooling system and created a working prototype. This was from among a team of 100+ teams that applied for the grant throughout the country.

Extra Curriculars in my current job:
EY-Foundation - Mentoring students from underprivileged backgrounds in deciding their future action plans by understanding their inclinations towards various disciplines (Science and Commerce).
Toastmasters International:- Was part of this club while working in Dubai. I do engage with local entities (India) as a part time member.

Educational Summary
Undergrad: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (2015-19) from a tier 1 college in India. CGPA 7.96; GPA 3.33. (KIIT Bhubaneswar)
10th (ICSE)-86%
12th (ICSE)-79% (Science)

Post MBA Goals:
Get into the bigger consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, BAIN, L.E.K..) open to generalist roles initially to get an idea of the market.
I look forward to transitioning into senior strategy consulting roles. Operations interest me too.
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
scrantonstrangler:
scrantonstrangler wrote:

Q 49, V35, IR 5

GMAT just about decent for ISB & HEC; would be better for you to aim for a 740, given your Indian Male Engineer Pool

scrantonstrangler wrote:

Professional Summary:
Job 1 : Mechanical Engineer in Dubai (UAE): Voltas Limited (Construction) (July 2019-Oct-2020) 15 months

Engagement 2: Handling SAP Projects for a Fortune 500 client (Tata Steel) and its subsidiaries across India/Canada/SE Asia/Europe. (I started as an Analyst and got two promotions within 18 months. (36 months experience in this job by July '2024).

WE is strong, and can be pitched powerfully.

scrantonstrangler wrote:

1. Leader (AIESEC)- Partnered with local orgs and helped them raise projects which were worked upon by foreign interns. This helped companies increase their cultural diversity. Projects raised were worth ($20000+)
(Youth Speak Forum-A common platform for college students to interact with industry titans.)

2. Team Lead-ISHRAE-We won a grant ($1500) to design an environment friendly cooling system and created a working prototype. This was from among a team of 100+ teams that applied for the grant throughout the country.

EY-Foundation - Mentoring students from underprivileged backgrounds in deciding their future action plans by understanding their inclinations towards various disciplines (Science and Commerce).
Toastmasters International:- Was part of this club while working in Dubai. I do engage with local entities (India) as a part time member.

Excellent ECs; Shows your leadership potential

scrantonstrangler wrote:

Educational Summary
Undergrad: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (2015-19) from a tier 1 college in India. CGPA 7.96; GPA 3.33. (KIIT Bhubaneswar)
10th (ICSE)-86%

GPA lower than that required for top schools; INSEAD may be challenging; again HEC may work well.

scrantonstrangler wrote:

Post MBA Goals:
Get into the bigger consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, BAIN, L.E.K..) open to generalist roles initially to get an idea of the market.
I look forward to transitioning into senior strategy consulting roles. Operations interest me too.

Career goals fuzzy, and not well articulated; lack of clarity also very visible.

As said earlier, I believe INSEAD could be a dream (with compelling application essays, and rock-solid LORs). Other schools to consider (with the current specs) would be Top 20 schools in US. US also offers many 1-year MBA programs, a few with a 3- year STEM designation as well. The likes of Vanderbilt, Darden, UT Austin would also be good targets, though with a powerful application...
Hope that helps
Director
Director
Send PM
scrantonstrangler wrote:

Q 49, V35, IR 5

Professional Summary:

Educational Summary
10th (ICSE)-86%

Post MBA Goals:

scrantonstrangler, having worked in strategy consulting (in the ME) post my MBA, hope to share some thoughts:

1. Acads are fine. The GMAT score is alright, though it might be a bit on the lower side for INSEAD considering the Indian Male applicant perspective.

2. Your work experiences are good, particularly the role in Dubai, the EY brand and the promotions. While operations consulting seems a more natural progression, strategy consulting role could also be an interesting path. Would suggest having more clarity around: why (strategy) consulting, your transferrable skills (from current/ past roles), why your target companies, geographies that are open to hiring English speakers in consulting roles (if you're looking at Europe). Talking to current/ ex consultants can be helpful.

3. ECs offer good talking points for essays. Remember though that the key skills you picked up from these ECs, and how they can help you in/ post MBA are points that B-schools would be keen to hear about.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out with your CV for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
W:https://admitstreet.com | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
GMAT Club Bot