It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reschedule GMAT? 2 weeks out and not at goal score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Reschedule GMAT? 2 weeks out and not at goal score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 13:04
Hi All,

So I've been studying for a couple months (longer off and on) and taken a few full length CATs as realistic as possible. Started at 590, then a month ago I was at 710 (Q41, V46), and this past week after tons and tons of quant study, I scored a 690 (Q42, V42). While I think the drop in the verbal was largely a result of burnout and exhaustion, I am really concerned because my GMAT is currently scheduled for April 1st, and my goal score is a 730+ (And especially getting that quant to 45+).

I signed up for a course (EMPOWER GMAT) and am trying to change the way I'm studying because obviously my methods aren't working, but I'm looking for advice about rescheduling. Due to the fact that my wedding is in April, I have limited options:
1. Take the GMAT on 4/1 as scheduled, hope I can bump up my score in two weeks. (If not, pay the $250 to take it again in the summer)
2. Push the date back only one week to 4/8 and hope I can bump the score up in 3 weeks. Pay $50 to reschedule and maybe $250 to retake
3. Push the date back all the way to some time in July and start studying again when I get back from my honeymoon in May.

What would you do? I mean, a 700(ish) score in my pocket for Round 1 might be better than not having taken it at all in case I can't study as much as I'd like in the summer anyways, but does it make sense to take the test when you know you're not where you want to be yet? I also worry about starting over and losing the rhythm and motivation of studying after weeks and months of putting aside everything else and putting a lot of the weight of wedding planning and housekeeping on my fiancé. It's a tough decision for me.

Note to other GMAT takers - DON'T DO THIS WHILE PLANNING A WEDDING. I'M AN IDIOT. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have!
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Reschedule GMAT? 2 weeks out and not at goal score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 17:20
Hi roadhouse303,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your various score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points) and that your current 'ability level' is right around a 700. Thus, you could very well score 730 (or even higher) right now, but you would have had to swing a couple of additional correct answers to pick up those points. This is one of the big reasons why eliminating little mistakes from your work is essential to maximizing your performance. There are only 78 total questions between the Quant and Verbal sections (and a number of those questions are 'experimental' meaning that they don't count) so points can be won and lost rather easily on Test Day.

Since you're in study mode now, it would make sense to take the Test either as scheduled or else sometime soon. Waiting until summer to take the GMAT would require a lot of review time just for you to get your GMAT skills back. Remember that you could pick up a bunch of the missing points that you're after in the Quant section if you get comfortable with the idea that it's okay to dump a few hard questions as you work through that section. You don't need those hard questions to hit your score goal - and those questions just end up eating up your clock and putting you in a 'bad mood' on Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

BSchool Thread Master
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 04:59
roadhouse303 wrote:
Hi All,

So I've been studying for a couple months (longer off and on) and taken a few full length CATs as realistic as possible. Started at 590, then a month ago I was at 710 (Q41, V46), and this past week after tons and tons of quant study, I scored a 690 (Q42, V42). While I think the drop in the verbal was largely a result of burnout and exhaustion, I am really concerned because my GMAT is currently scheduled for April 1st, and my goal score is a 730+ (And especially getting that quant to 45+).

I signed up for a course (EMPOWER GMAT) and am trying to change the way I'm studying because obviously my methods aren't working, but I'm looking for advice about rescheduling. Due to the fact that my wedding is in April, I have limited options:
1. Take the GMAT on 4/1 as scheduled, hope I can bump up my score in two weeks. (If not, pay the $250 to take it again in the summer)
2. Push the date back only one week to 4/8 and hope I can bump the score up in 3 weeks. Pay $50 to reschedule and maybe $250 to retake
3. Push the date back all the way to some time in July and start studying again when I get back from my honeymoon in May.

What would you do? I mean, a 700(ish) score in my pocket for Round 1 might be better than not having taken it at all in case I can't study as much as I'd like in the summer anyways, but does it make sense to take the test when you know you're not where you want to be yet? I also worry about starting over and losing the rhythm and motivation of studying after weeks and months of putting aside everything else and putting a lot of the weight of wedding planning and housekeeping on my fiancé. It's a tough decision for me.

Note to other GMAT takers - DON'T DO THIS WHILE PLANNING A WEDDING. I'M AN IDIOT. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have!

Take the test on the 1st of April. Get it out of the way and you'll thank yourself later. Maybe you will score 710 or 720 then a retake won't be necessary.

Kindly click on the +1 Kudos if you found my post helpful. Thank you! :)

|
|
|
V

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 05:18
Thanks very much for the advice! I will take it as scheduled on April 1st and just try to keep sloppy mistakes from dragging down my score.
Re: Reschedule GMAT? 2 weeks out and not at goal score   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2017, 05:18

Reschedule GMAT? 2 weeks out and not at goal score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap