GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 11:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 510 Q47 V15
GMAT 2: 600 Q49 V22
Re: SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 05:48
SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to be effective for twelve hours against the female anopheles mosquito, the only mosquito that transmits malaria. SafeZone, however, is not effective against mosquitoes that do not transmit malaria. The only instance in which SafeZone does not repel the female anopheles mosquito is if the mosquito can detect any blood, however small the amount, on a person’s body. Therefore, assuming one does not have any blood on their skin before applying SafeZone, one will not be able to catch malaria for up to twelve hours.

Which of the following, if true, would argue most against the use of SafeZone in areas in which malaria is endemic?

A) SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown to cause irritation that may result in a mild rash.
SafeZone -> Mild rash -> additional assumption "mild rash" cause blood -> Female mosquito attracted = SAFEZONE doesn't work
BUT we bring outside assumption, we are unsure that mild rash -> Blood = might weaken or not 50% accuracy

B) The culex mosquito, a different species of mosquito, is found in many areas where the anopheles mosquito is found.
OOS, no link between Culex Mosquito and Malaria.No impact of prevention of malaria by SafeZone

C) The male Anopheles mosquito also feeds on human blood and is active at the same time as the female.
Male Anopheles -> Bite human -> blood ( 100% sure, you can try) -> Female anopheles -> Malaria - SAFEZONE doesn't work 100% accuracy

D) Once a person has contracted malaria, he or she may experience both bleeding gums and a bloody nose.
OOS, person already having malaria no link with prevention of malaria and Safezone

E) Some mosquitoes, after biting a person covered in SafeZone, can go on to bite a person not covered in SafeZone.
Only Male Anophele attacks people with SafeZone -> Male Anophele = No Malaria -> If Male bite some else after with Safezone no risk to get Malaria as only female bring Malaria. No impact of prevention of malaria by SafeZone
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Mannheim"20 (A)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 06:41
I think there is also a logical jump required for the mosquito biting human and residual blood attracting the female.

It could either be A or C.

I would go with A, rash and blood is more logical than residual blood and a mosquito bite.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User
SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 21:21
C is the answer. This question requires test takers to read carefully each specifically word like RC questions.

First, " ruptured blood vessels" are caused by bites from any kind of mosquito -> leading to the failure of SafeZone
C tells that male mosquito is active -> leading to more "ruptured blood vessels"
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 03:45
Harley1980 wrote:
SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to be effective for twelve hours against the female anopheles mosquito, the only mosquito that transmits malaria. SafeZone, however, is not effective against mosquitoes that do not transmit malaria. The only instance in which SafeZone does not repel the female anopheles mosquito is if the mosquito can detect any blood, however small the amount, on a person’s body. Therefore, assuming one does not have any blood on their skin before applying SafeZone, one will not be able to catch malaria for up to twelve hours.

Which of the following, if true, would argue most against the use of SafeZone in areas in which malaria is endemic?

A) SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown to cause irritation that may result in a mild rash.
B) The culex mosquito, a different species of mosquito, is found in many areas where the anopheles mosquito is found.
C) The male Anopheles mosquito also feeds on human blood and is active at the same time as the female.
D) Once a person has contracted malaria, he or she may experience both bleeding gums and a bloody nose.
E) Some mosquitoes, after biting a person covered in SafeZone, can go on to bite a person not covered in SafeZone.

This is a magoosh question , I was wondering if going to biological statement , in otpion C : Male Anopheles do not feed on human blood , this is true if biology is concerned. But also in option D , Bleeding Gums and Bloody nose both aren't proper symptoms of Maleria.
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 07:20
Does a rash cause bleed? If so I would go with A.

In case the rash remains under the skin as in it does not bleed, I would opt for answer choice C.

I do not like this question :(
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 22:47
The key here is to note that the repellant only works against females, so Males can still bite humans, penetrate the vessels thus rendering the repellant ineffective.

C is this.

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
Intern
Intern
B
SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2019, 10:24
Harley1980 wrote:
dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

I am unable to figure how C weakens the argument. male being around female is not going to aid malaria by any means.

@ Harley:I would like others to discuss it before you post the OE though. maybe you can share your personal opinion.

Regards,
Dom.

Hello

I agree that this one is really tough. I was really hesitated between A and C.

In argument we have interesting fact: "The only instance in which SafeZone does not repel the female anopheles mosquito is if the mosquito can detect any blood, however small the amount, on a person’s body."

This is potential weak place. B, D and E have nothing common with blood so they are out.
A - when you have a rush sometimes you can rip you skin and there will be present blood. But it only sometimes and answer A says about mild rush. So it is good contender but not ideal.

C - male of mosquito feeds on human blood. It looks like not correct answer but let think about it. Mosquito feed on blood but making a hole in human skin. This is extremely small hole but this hole should bleed a little and from argument we know that for repellen't malfunction we need "however small the amount of blood".

While it may be true that the male mosquitoes may be active at the same time as female mosquitoes, this does not justify as to why the SafeZone repellent SHOULD NOT be applied, because the repellent has no effect on the male mosquitoes' biting - the male mosquitoe may bite anyway - irrespective of whether the repellent is used or not.
On the other hand, in option A, even when the male mosquito does not bite a person, the likelihood of the female mosquito biting the person INCREASES due to the rashes caused by the repellent - hence, in my view, option A is the correct answer.

Of course, the assumption here is that rash does increase the presence of blood on the surface of the skin (it actually does, although one cannot see it)

----------------------------------------------
Kudos if you think it makes sense, comment if you think it doesn't :-)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2019, 15:59
This is poor quality question. Male mosquito biting a hole and causing blood drop needs outside information and crazy imagination.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 03:30
Harley1980 wrote:
dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

I am unable to figure how C weakens the argument. male being around female is not going to aid malaria by any means.

@ Harley:I would like others to discuss it before you post the OE though. maybe you can share your personal opinion.

Regards,
Dom.

Hello dominicraj

I agree that this one is really tough. I was really hesitated between A and C.

In argument we have interesting fact: "The only instance in which SafeZone does not repel the female anopheles mosquito is if the mosquito can detect any blood, however small the amount, on a person’s body."

Both Mild rash and another mosquito's bite can lead to blood on body,I am not sure if this question is technically correct.

This is potential weak place. B, D and E have nothing common with blood so they are out.
A - when you have a rush sometimes you can rip you skin and there will be present blood. But it only sometimes and answer A says about mild rush. So it is good contender but not ideal.

C - male of mosquito feeds on human blood. It looks like not correct answer but let think about it. Mosquito feed on blood but making a hole in human skin. This is extremely small hole but this hole should bleed a little and from argument we know that for repellen't malfunction we need "however small the amount of blood".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2019, 03:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics