It is currently 16 Jan 2018, 11:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
Re: SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 06:16
mfgaines wrote:
Wow. Is it certainly true that C is the answer or is that up for debate here? I’ve spent the last few months studying the LSAT actually (still studying it) and my reaction was 1. This is a bad LR Question and 2. If I had to choose, go with E.

It’s a “Weaken” Question, for sure, which generally means attacking the Conclusion which is obviously the last sentence. But what gets me is the use of “only” (in “the only instance...”) because that’s a tip-off to a conditional statement....so...

And then you have the Stem which emphasizes “in areas where it’s endemic” .... to me that clinched the answer as E.

The best argument for not using SafeZone in areas with a Malaria epidemic is that not everyone may be using it and other mosquitos (some covers the malaria causing type too, right?) go on to bite others without SafeZone...potentially causing malaria among the people in the area anyways.

I mean, that’s just a gut feeling though, this is a really bizarre question and the first non-LSAT question of the sort I’ve looked at yet....the rest of them don’t look this way, right?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

As you can see above, there is some debate over this question. Any good GMAT question will have one clear answer. Please remember to stick to GOOD sources on the forum, otherwise you might be dissapointed.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 74

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

GMAT 1: 510 Q47 V15
GMAT 2: 600 Q49 V22
Premium Member
Re: SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 04:48
SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to be effective for twelve hours against the female anopheles mosquito, the only mosquito that transmits malaria. SafeZone, however, is not effective against mosquitoes that do not transmit malaria. The only instance in which SafeZone does not repel the female anopheles mosquito is if the mosquito can detect any blood, however small the amount, on a person’s body. Therefore, assuming one does not have any blood on their skin before applying SafeZone, one will not be able to catch malaria for up to twelve hours.

Which of the following, if true, would argue most against the use of SafeZone in areas in which malaria is endemic?

A) SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown to cause irritation that may result in a mild rash.
SafeZone -> Mild rash -> additional assumption "mild rash" cause blood -> Female mosquito attracted = SAFEZONE doesn't work
BUT we bring outside assumption, we are unsure that mild rash -> Blood = might weaken or not 50% accuracy

B) The culex mosquito, a different species of mosquito, is found in many areas where the anopheles mosquito is found.
OOS, no link between Culex Mosquito and Malaria.No impact of prevention of malaria by SafeZone

C) The male Anopheles mosquito also feeds on human blood and is active at the same time as the female.
Male Anopheles -> Bite human -> blood ( 100% sure, you can try) -> Female anopheles -> Malaria - SAFEZONE doesn't work 100% accuracy

D) Once a person has contracted malaria, he or she may experience both bleeding gums and a bloody nose.
OOS, person already having malaria no link with prevention of malaria and Safezone

E) Some mosquitoes, after biting a person covered in SafeZone, can go on to bite a person not covered in SafeZone.
Only Male Anophele attacks people with SafeZone -> Male Anophele = No Malaria -> If Male bite some else after with Safezone no risk to get Malaria as only female bring Malaria. No impact of prevention of malaria by SafeZone

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Concentration: Finance, Economics
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 05:41
I think there is also a logical jump required for the mosquito biting human and residual blood attracting the female.

It could either be A or C.

I would go with A, rash and blood is more logical than residual blood and a mosquito bite.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 2406

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 20:21
C is the answer. This question requires test takers to read carefully each specifically word like RC questions.

First, " ruptured blood vessels" are caused by bites from any kind of mosquito -> leading to the failure of SafeZone
C tells that male mosquito is active -> leading to more "ruptured blood vessels"

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 2406

SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2018, 20:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap