It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2314 [2], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 15:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:36) correct 56% (01:53) wrong based on 451 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to be effective for twelve hours against the female anopheles mosquito, the only mosquito that transmits malaria. SafeZone, however, is not effective against mosquitoes that do not transmit malaria. The only instance in which SafeZone does not repel the female anopheles mosquito is if the mosquito can detect any blood, however small the amount, on a person’s body. Therefore, assuming one does not have any blood on their skin before applying SafeZone, one will not be able to catch malaria for up to twelve hours.

Which of the following, if true, would argue most against the use of SafeZone in areas in which malaria is endemic?

A) SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown to cause irritation that may result in a mild rash.
B) The culex mosquito, a different species of mosquito, is found in many areas where the anopheles mosquito is found.
C) The male Anopheles mosquito also feeds on human blood and is active at the same time as the female.
D) Once a person has contracted malaria, he or she may experience both bleeding gums and a bloody nose.
E) Some mosquitoes, after biting a person covered in SafeZone, can go on to bite a person not covered in SafeZone.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2314 [2], given: 178

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Re: SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 23:46
Hi,

I am unable to figure how C weakens the argument. male being around female is not going to aid malaria by any means.

@ Harley:I would like others to discuss it before you post the OE though. maybe you can share your personal opinion.

Regards,
Dom.

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

CAT Tests
Re: SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 00:54
Harley1980 wrote:
SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to be effective for twelve hours against the female anopheles mosquito, the only mosquito that transmits malaria. SafeZone, however, is not effective against mosquitoes that do not transmit malaria. The only instance in which SafeZone does not repel the female anopheles mosquito is if the mosquito can detect any blood, however small the amount, on a person’s body. Therefore, assuming one does not have any blood on their skin before applying SafeZone, one will not be able to catch malaria for up to twelve hours.

Which of the following, if true, would argue most against the use of SafeZone in areas in which malaria is endemic?

A) SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown to cause irritation that may result in a mild rash.
B) The culex mosquito, a different species of mosquito, is found in many areas where the anopheles mosquito is found.
C) The male Anopheles mosquito also feeds on human blood and is active at the same time as the female.
D) Once a person has contracted malaria, he or she may experience both bleeding gums and a bloody nose.
E) Some mosquitoes, after biting a person covered in SafeZone, can go on to bite a person not covered in SafeZone.

I would go with B. Agreeing with Dom, I dont see why C should be the answer.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

3 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2314 [3], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

I am unable to figure how C weakens the argument. male being around female is not going to aid malaria by any means.

@ Harley:I would like others to discuss it before you post the OE though. maybe you can share your personal opinion.

Regards,
Dom.

Hello dominicraj

I agree that this one is really tough. I was really hesitated between A and C.

In argument we have interesting fact: "The only instance in which SafeZone does not repel the female anopheles mosquito is if the mosquito can detect any blood, however small the amount, on a person’s body."

This is potential weak place. B, D and E have nothing common with blood so they are out.
A - when you have a rush sometimes you can rip you skin and there will be present blood. But it only sometimes and answer A says about mild rush. So it is good contender but not ideal.

C - male of mosquito feeds on human blood. It looks like not correct answer but let think about it. Mosquito feed on blood but making a hole in human skin. This is extremely small hole but this hole should bleed a little and from argument we know that for repellen't malfunction we need "however small the amount of blood".

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2314 [3], given: 178

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 23:17
You cannot bleed from a mosquito bite, Although you could have blood on you if you swat the male mosquito on you after he has drown blood.

on another note, its not mentioned in the question but is rather common knowledge, the male anophles mosquito, doesn't infact feed on blood but on nectar from plants, so is unlikely to cause either holes in your skin or blood on your person if you swat it after he has drawn blood (Which he wouldn't do).

I think it should be 'A'

Harley1980 wrote:
dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Dom.

Hello dominicraj

In argument we have interesting fact: "The only instance in which SafeZone does not repel the female anopheles mosquito is if the mosquito can detect any blood, however small the amount, on a person’s body."

This is potential weak place. B, D and E have nothing common with blood so they are out.
A - when you have a rush sometimes you can rip you skin and there will be present blood. But it only sometimes and answer A says about mild rush. So it is good contender but not ideal.

C - male of mosquito feeds on human blood. It looks like not correct answer but let think about it. Mosquito feed on blood but making a hole in human skin. This is extremely small hole but this hole should bleed a little and from argument we know that for repellen't malfunction we need "however small the amount of blood".

Last edited by kelvind13 on 12 Aug 2015, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 35

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 23:22
Hi Harley,

Your description and analysis of the case is quite amazing. :) You will make a good guy to go to someone who can bring an organization from the brink of a catastrophe. :)

Regards,
Dom.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 373

GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 06:38
Hi All

I can only think about C as follows:
According to premise female anopheles mosquito, the only mosquito that transmits malaria.
SafeZone is not effective against mosquitoes that do not transmit malaria. i.e. SafeZone is not effective against male Anopheles mosquito.
So male Anopheles mosquito can bite a person, even though person has SafeZone on his skin --> giving out blood ( however small the amount)--> chance for Female Anopheles mosquito to bite & causing Malaria

HUH.... :(

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 373

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Bocconi '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 15:03
kelvind13 wrote:
You cannot bleed from a mosquito bite, Although you could have blood on you if you swat the male mosquito on you after he has drown blood.

on another note, its not mentioned in the question but is rather common knowledge, the male anophles mosquito, doesn't infact feed on blood but on nectar from plants, so is unlikely to cause either holes in your skin or blood on your person if you swat it after he has drawn blood (Which he wouldn't do).

I think it should be 'A'

Harley1980 wrote:
dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Dom.

Of course it's true that male mosquitos don't feed blood, but, as a general rule of GMAT, you can't take into account informations don't provided by the question itself and, if one sentence (which the question required to considered true) says "the sun is cold" we have to make decision in a world where the sun is cold.
By the way, i think that A answer doesn't make sense, as "mild rush" can't make you start bleeding at all.
IMHO, the reason why C is the correct answer is not because male mosquito could let you bleeding after his bite (letting the female bite you as well), but simply because all the passage is about the effectiveness of the product on female mosquito, whereas the male are never mentioned, so we can't know if that product would have some effect on male (actually, being this the answer, all the discussion about blood on the skin surface serves to distract a little bit)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 04:27
If the male anopheles cannot transmit malaria(as mentioned in the argument) then how does it matter whether it bites the users or not, neither is it mentioned whether a bite of mosquito releases blood or not nor is it mentioned that rash caused by cream causes bleeding.
So i feel the question in itself is very weak as there is no decisive answer and every gmat cr question will have one answer which can be easily segregated as true.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 20

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 03:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 03:37
Hi mikemcgarry

Hmmm, would you please explain choice C further?
I have no clue why C is correct.
AS in prompt, against the female anopheles mosquito, the only mosquito that transmits malaria.
Is my interpretation correct that only female anopheles mosquito transmits malaria, while male ones do not transmit malaria?
if male ones do not transmit, even as answer choice C states, people won't get malaria, right?

Honestly speaking, I have no idea which answer choice is right.

Please help

thanks in advance

Zoe

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 05:13
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

AS in prompt, against the female anopheles mosquito, the only mosquito that transmits malaria.
Is my interpretation correct that only female anopheles mosquito transmits malaria, while male ones do not transmit malaria?
if male ones do not transmit, even as answer choice C states, people won't get malaria, right?

Please help

thanks in advance

Zoe

Hi Zoe,

Here is Harley's explanation:

"I agree that this one is really tough. I was really hesitated between A and C.

C - male of mosquito feeds on human blood. It looks like not correct answer but let think about it. Mosquito feed on blood but making a hole in human skin. This is extremely small hole but this hole should bleed a little and from argument we know that for repellen't malfunction we need "however small the amount of blood"."

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 07:32
nightblade354 wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

Please help

thanks in advance

Zoe

Hi Zoe,

Here is Harley's explanation:

"I agree that this one is really tough. I was really hesitated between A and C.

C - male of mosquito feeds on human blood. It looks like not correct answer but let think about it. Mosquito feed on blood but making a hole in human skin. This is extremely small hole but this hole should bleed a little and from argument we know that for repellen't malfunction we need "however small the amount of blood"."

Hi nightblade354,

I don't agree with the above explanation. The passage exclusively states that "ONLY" female mosquito causes malaria. The male/other mosquito's bite is out of question. Even a small rash can cause "small" amount of blood to pop out of skin.

Hi mikemcgarry,

Please throw some light on this one. I am unable to comprehend the logic behind choosing C.

Awaiting your response.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 11:03
Hi gmatexam439,

I agree there are flaws in the OA/OE. Chief among the fact that the female mosquitoes not infected with malaria will perform the same function as the males. Hence, this answer does not help us. I agree that A is better, as it gives yet another reason why it won't be effective (though it is a MILD rash, so scratching/bleeding isn't a given). Zoe wanted an OE, so I gave her Harley's answer.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 07:13
nightblade354 wrote:
Hi gmatexam439,

I agree there are flaws in the OA/OE. Chief among the fact that the female mosquitoes not infected with malaria will perform the same function as the males. Hence, this answer does not help us. I agree that A is better, as it gives yet another reason why it won't be effective (though it is a MILD rash, so scratching/bleeding isn't a given). Zoe wanted an OE, so I gave her Harley's answer.

heheh I thought you were also agreeing to that explanation :p

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 22:03
Hi mikemcgarry, because the source of the question is Magoosh,could you please elaborate on the OA and OE? You are the best person to answer this. I feel the whole question is flawed.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 30

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 101

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 00:37
Not all Rashes result in Bloodied sore area. At least it can't be inferred from option A. Hence C stands tall and correct. If the male mosquito bites and smears some blood on the skin, the female will be attracted to it and SafeZone will fail to prevent malaria for 12 hours after application.

Good question.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 101

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 00:52
Answer should be C.

Choice C says "The male Anopheles mosquito also feeds on human blood and is active at the same time as the female." - at the same time is key here.
If both male and female are active at same time, and if male can feed on human blood by dripping a hole, then it gives the female a very good chance to infect malaria.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 00:52

SafeZone mosquito repellant has been shown in laboratory settings to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap