It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake the GMAT??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
Should I retake the GMAT?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 14:02
Hello,

I took the GMAT without much studying and scored a 650(V40 Q39). This is a very uneven split, but I have a background that may make up for the lower quant score. I graduated undergrad with a 3.43/4.00 in civil engineering. Additionally, I have 3 years of work experience as a consulting engineer. I am looking at schools with average GMAT scores between 680-700 (Emory, Duke, Vandy, UNC). Would it be worth while to focus on studying and hopefully increase my score or spend more time focusing on my application?

Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

Re: Should I retake the GMAT?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 14:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Mitchell,

Schools are becoming more particular about the GMAT score, so I would suggest retaking the GMAT to get it within the range of the average scores (with an emphasis on increasing the quant score). Given how competitive the process is, I always urge candidates to apply putting their best foot forward - you really don't want to leave anything to chance. I hope this helps!

Best,
Shaifali
Founder/CEO, Ivy Groupe (http://www.ivygroupe.com)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I retake the GMAT?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 12:42
Mitchell1774 wrote:
Hello,

I took the GMAT without much studying and scored a 650(V40 Q39). This is a very uneven split, but I have a background that may make up for the lower quant score. I graduated undergrad with a 3.43/4.00 in civil engineering. Additionally, I have 3 years of work experience as a consulting engineer. I am looking at schools with average GMAT scores between 680-700 (Emory, Duke, Vandy, UNC). Would it be worth while to focus on studying and hopefully increase my score or spend more time focusing on my application?

Thank you!

Since you say that you did not study a lot it sounds like you could definitely do better, so I would say: yes, there is no question that you need to retake, and be better prepared this time! Otherwise, you could very well regret applying too soon, before really giving the test your all.

So given the schools you are looking at I would not hesitate at all to retake if I were you, and keep in mind that you might even surprise yourself by getting something much higher than you think right now and that could open up a lot of new opportunities for you school-wise.

JL

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I retake the GMAT??   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2017, 12:42

Should I retake the GMAT??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap