GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Apr 2020, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Some cleaning fluids, synthetic carpets, wall paneling, and other prod

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Some cleaning fluids, synthetic carpets, wall paneling, and other prod  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 04:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:50) correct 30% (02:24) wrong based on 108 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some cleaning fluids, synthetic carpets, wall paneling, and other products release toxins, such as formaldehyde and benzene, into the household air supply. This is not a problem in well-ventilated houses, but it is a problem in houses that are so well insulated that they trap toxins as well as heat. Recent tests, however, demonstrate that houseplants remove some household toxins from the air and thereby eliminate their danger. In one test, 20 large plants eliminated formaldehyde from a small, well-insulated house.

Assume that a person who lives in a small, well-insulated house that contains toxin-releasing products places houseplants, such as those tested, in the house.

Which one of the following can be expected as a result?

(A) There will no longer be any need to ventilate the house.

(B) The concentration of toxins in the household air supply will remain the same.

(C) The house will be warm and have a safe air supply.

(D) If there is formaldehyde in the household air supply, its level will decrease.

(E) If formaldehyde and benzene are being released into the household air supply, the quantities released of each will decrease.

S
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GPA: 3.59
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Some cleaning fluids, synthetic carpets, wall paneling, and other prod  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2020, 06:51
Some cleaning fluids, synthetic carpets, wall paneling, and other products release toxins, such as formaldehyde and benzene, into the household air supply. This is not a problem in well-ventilated houses, but it is a problem in houses that are so well insulated that they trap toxins as well as heat. Recent tests, however, demonstrate that houseplants remove some household toxins from the air and thereby eliminate their danger. In one test, 20 large plants eliminated formaldehyde from a small, well-insulated house.

Assume that a person who lives in a small, well-insulated house that contains toxin-releasing products places houseplants, such as those tested, in the house.

(A) There will no longer be any need to ventilate the house. This is out of context. placing such plants will reduce the toxin levels, but will not exclude the possibility to further ventilate the house. the plants are not an alternative to ventilators in the house.

(B) The concentration of toxins in the household air supply will remain the same. It is already said that placing such plants will reduce the toxin levels. This is not the expected answer.

(C) The house will be warm and have a safe air supply. Placing such plants may lead to a warm and safe air circulation in the house, but this may be over assumed from the premise which only says that plants reduce concentration of toxin levels

(D) If there is formaldehyde in the household air supply, its level will decrease.A fair answer which does not over assume anything different from the premises given. Stay with D.

(E) If formaldehyde and benzene are being released into the household air supply, the quantities released of each will decrease. This is similar to D but, in the last sentence of the stem it is given that '20 plants reduced formaldehyde levels in the small, well-insulated house'. And,it is particularly mentioned to confuse you that the 'same' houseplants are kept in the next house. There is no mention about the reduction in benzene levels.

The final answer is D.
Kudos to this post if it was helpful :)
General Discussion
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2020, 17:24
MentorTutoring VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun

Sometimes I love LSAT qs because of the precision of language and higher concentration I need to answer them correctly.
Let me focus on incorrect answer selected by more than 20% of members who attempted it incorrectly.

Quote:

Quote:
(E) If formaldehyde and benzene are being released into the household air supply, the quantities released of each will decrease.

Stimulus talks about toxins present IN household, not injected from outside.
The data: In one test, 20 large plants eliminated formaldehyde from a small, well-insulated house. talks nothing about other toxin: benzene as this option does. OUT
I treated this as an INFERENCE q. Am I correct in my reasoning?

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Tutor
D
Re: Some cleaning fluids, synthetic carpets, wall paneling, and other prod  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2020, 07:03
adkikani wrote:

Sometimes I love LSAT qs because of the precision of language and higher concentration I need to answer them correctly.
Let me focus on incorrect answer selected by more than 20% of members who attempted it incorrectly.

Quote:

Quote:

The data: In one test, 20 large plants eliminated formaldehyde from a small, well-insulated house. talks nothing about other toxin: benzene as this option does. OUT

Hello, adkikani, and thank you for tagging me. The problem with (E), as you pointed out, is that the passage does not mention a test in which houseplants remove benzene specifically from the environment. One test mentions formaldehyde, while other recent tests have shown that houseplants remove some household toxins. Which ones, however, remain unknown. Thus, a careful reading of the passage can help you eliminate an overreaching answer in (E).

Well done for having seen through the trap.

- Andrew
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V
Re: Some cleaning fluids, synthetic carpets, wall paneling, and other prod  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 22:58
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it can be treated as an inference question. It phrases the question stem as "... can be expected as a result?" since we can only say what can be expected in the future, not what WILL happen.

The premises tell us that in one test, 20 large plants eliminated formaldehyde.
Then we are told that these specific type of houseplants (the ones tested) are placed in a house.
The test only tells us that these houseplants remove formaldehyde. So we can only say about formaldehyde, not benzene. So (E) is not correct.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Some cleaning fluids, synthetic carpets, wall paneling, and other prod   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2020, 22:58

Some cleaning fluids, synthetic carpets, wall paneling, and other prod

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics